• Published 31st Mar 2013
  • 764 Views, 10 Comments

A Boundless Rivalry - Chris-Cross13



Looks like Trixie wasn't Twilight's only rival...

  • ...
14
 10
 764

The Librarian's Apprentice

"Now Christian, do I have to explain the rules again if you're going to work in my library?" Twilight asks.

"Wha? Sorry I wasn't paying attention." He glanced up at Twilight as he was reading his book: 1,000 Ways To Shoot A Crossbow.

"Ugh! Focus!" Twilight tapped on a nearby chalkboard. "Rule One: Don't touch anything without my permission. Rule Two: Don't use the alchemy lab. And Rule Three: Don't call me "Twitlight".

Christian laughed lightly and got up from his seat. "Ok, here's what I think of your "Rules"." He grabbed an eraser and chalk. "Rule One: Don't care, Rule Two: Don't care, and Rule Three, by a unanimous vote: I don't care!"

Twilight sighed. He was non-negotiable. She doesn't even know why he wanted a job at her library! Most likely, Christian wanted a few cheap shots with some tranquilizers while Twilight worked. "You know what? Forget it. Just watch the library while I take a shower." She says as she goes upstairs.

"Probably gonna take a while for a pony with no hands!" He yelled up. Christian sat back down and starting reading his book again. "There aren't going to be any customers, I don't understand how this place is still in business." As Christian reads, the door opens as a unicorn steps inside. He scans the shelves before he approaches the desk and rings the bell.

"Hello! I would like to purchase a book." The unicorn said kindly.

Christian ignored the ringing. Technically, he wasn't hired yet. So customers weren't his problem. The unicorn rang it a few more times, obviously trying to get the stubborn human's attention. Christian kept caring less and less by the ring. The unicorn grew angry as he became impatient.

"Insolent pony! Listen to me!" He yelled at Christian. Christian immediately slammed his book shut in anger and rose from his seat. How dare someone call him a pony!

"Who you calling a pony, you stupid..." He stopped mid rant and stared at the unicorn before him in shock and awe. The unicorn was a pitch-black, with an electric blue mane. His tail was a stripped mix of the two colors. His hooves were also a nebula purple. But what really made Christian stare was his cutie mark: A black hole. "You...look...AWESOME!" He shouted. The unicorn stared back at him in awe as well.

"You're...you're that human ambassador, aren't you? Christian is it?"

Christian nodded. "The one and only! And you are?"

"The name is Supernova. Delighted to meet you." The unicorn replied in a very high manner. It was as if Christian was supposed to know who this guy was.

"Same here." Christian answered back. Christian quickly started acting proper and appropriate. He wanted to make a good impression on this guy. "Now, how can I help you?" He said in the most proper tone.

"Well, I'm looking for a book on Astrology. You know, the study of the stars and space?" Supernova responded. He was a little stunned at the human's reaction to him.

"Of course! I love space! It's so..." Christian couldn't think of a word to fit the dark void.

"Enigmatic?" Supernova finished.

"Yea, that's the word! Hang on a sec..." Christian started skimming through the bookshelves, looking for any book relating to space, planets, anything! "No, no, ahh! Here it is!" Christian plucked a book from the third shelf. He presented the book to Supernova. " Is this the book you're looking for? The Stars of Equestria's Sky: A Study."

"Yes! That's it!" The satisfied unicorn exclaims. The book is quickly enveloped in a light blue glow. It is pulled from Christian's grasp and into a light blue pack on the back of the dark unicorn. "This is just what I need! Some odd activity is going on with a nearby star. This book will help me greatly with my studies!" Supernova shook the human's hand in gratitude. "Thank you Christian! I must get to work right away!" Supernova heads for the door in a hurry. He had work to catch up on!

Christian grew a little annoyed when he went to leave so quickly. "Wait!" Supernova turns toward the human as he is halfway out the door. "Are you sure you have to leave now? Can't you stick around for a bit?" He asks. "I've been hanging around with mares every since I started coming here, besides Vague. It would be nice to hang with a stallion for once. You know, someone I can relate to. Sort of."

Supernova thought about this. The star's activity wasn't that peculiar. It was only some excess gamma rays and star growth, Nothing out of the ordinary. Plus, this human seemed interesting enough. He sighs. "Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt if I stuck around for a bit." Supernova closes the door and trots back toward Christian. Christian grinned eagerly at his response. A few minutes later, they are both sitting down in some chairs Christian found, drinking tea that Supernova whipped up, and asking questions about each other.

"So, how are you liking Equestria?" Supernova asks as he lounges.

"It's cleaner than Earth, I'll give it that." Christian responds.

Supernova chuckles. "Indeed!" He exclaims, then moves on to another subject. "So, what are your...abilities?"

"Well, my aim with a crossbow is pretty slick. Observe." He fires his crossbow at a nearby mirror. The dart binks and flies around the room. Supernova ducks as it flies over his head and out a window. Supernova looks at the human, unimpressed.

"What was the point of..."

"Wait for it." Christian interrupts as he puts a hand up. After a few moments of complete silence...

"OUCH! What the..." A yell is heard outside from a bystanding pony, followed by a thud as they pass out from the tranquilizer.

"Impressive." Supernova comments, impressed at the precision.

Christian bows. "Thank you! And I can now communicate with animals, as of two days ago."

"What, like an animal whisperer?" The black unicorn asks.

"I guess you can call it that." Christian says as he sits back down in his seat and picks up his cup from the counter. "Alright, my turn to ask the questions. I've noticed that most unicorns use and study magic. What made you turn toward the field of science?" Christian asks as he sips some tea.

"Ahh! An excellent question!" Supernova leans toward him a little. "You see, I used to actually study magic back when I was little. I was top of my class, the best of the best, until...She came along."

"She?" Christian asks confusedly. "Who's she?"

"I wish I could remember her name. She was the one who decided to show off her skills." Supernova growled.

"What did she do?" Christian asks. He wanted to know more about this show off. Maybe she knew about Twilight and hated her too! Christian might finally be able to relate to a pony!

"She never was that good at magic, until she hatched a dragon from an egg!." Supernova yelled.

"Whoa." Christian had seen some of the dragons roaming Equestria. They weren't as deadly as the ones in Skyrim, but they were still a force to be reckoned with. They did eat gems like they were candy. "What unicorn had the skill to hatch a dragon?" Christian thought.

"And that's not all." Supernova said as he took a quick drink. "Celestial saw her "skills" and that stupid little filly became her star student! Can you believe that! I hear now that she lives somewhere around here and is an "Element of Harmony". Nonsense! All of it!" He stomps the desk, making his cup spill.

Christian nearly choked on his drink when he heard this. "Star student and an Element of Harmony? You don't say." He said nervously. "Do you remember her fur color?"

"Umm, I know it was a cold color, like blue or green. Hmm... I believe it was purple. But, it was a very light purple, like a lavender color."

Christian gulped quite loudly. "That's what I was afraid of."

"If only I could remember her name. Light bright? No. Midnight? That's not it..."

Christian hesitated before giving him a suggestion.. "Was it... Twilight?" He wanted Supernova to say yes, but Christian figured that if Supernova found out that he and Twilight were frienemies, Supernova would hate him too.

"Hey Christian! Who was at the..." Twilight comes down the stairs with a towel wrapped around her head. She jumps as she sees the black unicorn sitting with him. Christian tries to tell her to leave the room, but she doesn't notice. Supernova is unaware of the lavender unicorn, as his eyes are closed when he was thinking of his "adversary's" name.

"Twilight! Yes, that's it Christian! Twilight... Sparkle." He glared over at her.

Twilight looks on angrily. "Supernova! It's been awhile." She approaches him slowly.

Supernova gets up from his seat and walks toward her in the same fashion. They meet in the middle, only a few feet away from each other. Supernova and Twilight then start circling around each other, each snarling and looking at each other with great disdain and annoyance. Christian looks on in awe. Heck, if they get in a fight, the fireworks oughta be awesome!

"Well, if it isn't Celestia's "Star student" herself! How's the magic treating you?"

"Oh you know, saving Equestria three times really wears a mare out."

"Heh, I've done more than that with my studies." Supernova gloats.

"Yea right!" Twilight protests.

"Indeed! Without my knowledge of wormholes and portals, Christian wouldn't be here right now!" Supernova beamed. He knew he completely one-upped Twilight. Twilight looked at him, bewildered by the confidence in his response.

Christian quickly gets up. "Wait, YOU built the portal?!" He asks astonished at his amazing work. That portal branched two worlds together for crying out loud! Without it, both worlds would be enslaved right now!

"Yes Christian. I designed and built the portal. The very portal you use to get here. The portable portal was actually a prototype of the main one in the town square." Supernova smirked toward Twilight. Who in return, growled at him.

"Get out, and never come back." She said sternly. She wanted nothing to do with this...troublemaker.

Supernova growled. "Fine. I overstayed my welcome anyway." Supernova went to leave. Christian looked at the purple unicorn angrily and then quickly ran to the door.

"Actually Twilight," Christian slammed the door as Supernova opened it. "Supernova is staying." Christian smirked at his stallion friend.

Twilight's eyes widened in disbelief. "Christian! Are you crazy! Supernova is nothing but trouble for me ever since school!"

Christian doesn't show any care for his purple frenemy. He mocks her whining harshly. "Oh, boo hoo! I don't care Twitlight! He is now here in Ponyville as my guest, which means, you can't touch him!" He turns toward the smirking dark unicorn. "Come on Supernova, let me introduce you to the others." They go to leave the library.

"Twitlight?! Oh, good one Christian!" He laughs hysterically as they leave for town, leaving Twilight standing there. She falls into a sitting position, perplexed as what just occurred. Her rival since school, randomly walks in and just befriended her human frenemy, who is also Earth's ambassador to Equestria. The towel that was on her head falls into a pile next to her, making her hair spring up. Twilight takes no notice as she still ponders the events she just witnessed.

"What...just...happened?"

Author's Note:

ZOMG?! A new character?! Yea, get used to it. I'll putting in new characters and whatnot for some of these newer stories. Each will have their own backstory which will be explained. Unlike Christian, their back stories will be in the story their introduced in. Christian's will be out later, as I have already said. And as usual, don't forget to read my blog, favorite, like, and follow for updates and stuff. This is pretty much all I can do while in Europe, but when I return to the states, I'll be writing chapters and stories like MAD! Also, thanks to Glaze (Woodentoaster) who gave me some ideas for this story. Go subscribe to him on YouTube! Thanks and BROHOOF! /) * (\