• Published 28th Jul 2013
  • 767 Views, 2 Comments

Daring Do and the Hunt for the Hippogriff's Harp - Tyrael



When the descendant of an ancient monarch wishes to recover a lost artifact, she knows there's only one mare for the job - Daring Do!

  • ...
0
 2
 767

Epilogue

August 12th, 2013
Castle Convocation
Foalhaven Aerie, Talonberra

Slipstream Forelockheed turned around in her seat at the sound of hoofsteps. Her eyes lit up as she watched Daring Do trot towards her, clad in a shimmering emerald gown. "Why, Daring! Don't you look smashing! That gown looks just marvelous on you, hon."

Daring grinned and took a seat next to her old friend then greeted Slipstream's husband and daughter. Daring and Slipstream had been staying as honored guests of the Thunderstrucks, and they had been provided private box seats at the royal amphitheater for the 'concert of a lifetime!,' as the newspapers heralded it. Daring leaned forwards and smiled at the sea of ponies, hippogriffs, griffons, mules, donkeys, and a few other races that had all come to see the show.

The miraculous story of the Half-Blood's Lament and her crew had spread like wildfire across Equestria. Slipstream had nearly fainted when she saw the condition the Half-Blood's Lament was in, and had been more than willing to pay whatever it took to get Daring's Adventure aircraft out of Everfree and back into working condition. The Lament's crew had dined with Princesses Celestia and Luna, toured the Crystal Empire, and had returned to weeks-long celebrations in their homeland of Talonberra, which were set to conclude with a concert featuring the royal harp; its first performance in centuries.

Although many had pressured Marion to play since she had recovered the harp, she had declined in favor of her eldest sister, Gwendolen, who was an accomplished harpist. The crowd fell silent as Princess Gwendolen walked on stage. Her feathers and coat were in the same colors and patterns as Marion's, and upon her flank was the cutie mark of an electrified musical note emitting sparks. Gwendolen began to speak in a voice as sweet as honey: "My friends, thank you all for coming out here tonight. I hope you've all enjoyed the festivities over these past few weeks, I know I have! This harp I hold in my talons sure does mean a lot to us hippogriffs, but it should mean a lot to all of you as well, no matter if you're pony, mule, or deer. Why, you ask? Because this harp is a symbol of love."

"Before there were hippogriffs, there was an expression used to represent impossibility: 'Mate griffons with mares, and in the coming age shy deer and hounds together come to drink.' This was due to the belief that griffons detested equines, and therefore they would never in a million years wish to be romantically involved with one. Well, we sure proved that wrong, didn't we," Gwendolen said, pausing as the hippogriff audience members clapped and cheered.

Gwendolen held the harp up and angled its inscription towards the audience. "These words inscribed here read: 'Love conquers all.' And it's true! Love is a beautiful thing. Just as a hippogriff's very existence proves that love can surpass all boundaries, so too does this harp. I hope you will fondly remember the spectacular show I am about to perform, but I also dearly hope you will remember the lessons of love that made all of this possible."

The audience politely clapped their hooves as Gwendolen took her seat. As she began to play a haunting melody, the skies above the amphitheater began to fill with storm clouds. Gwendolen began to sing a ballad as she played and the magical weather adapted to go along with her words. Bolts of lightning formed breathtaking imagery in the skies as they etched the song's events overhead. When the song's heroine was heartbroken after her husband fell ill, a gentle downpour fell. The roar of thunder accentuated the epic battle between the heroine and the evil witch who had poisoned her beloved.

As the song was coming to a close, Daring leaned over the railing and looked down on the joyful faces of the ponies below. Gwendolen finished her song and there was a brilliant display of lightning forming into a heart. The audience erupted into a roar of applause. Slipstream glanced at her friend and saw a tear falling down her cheek. She whispered, "Oh, Daring, are you crying?"

Daring blushed and caught the tear on her hoof. Daring moved closer to Slipstream and softly said, "When I was down in those caverns with Marion, I told her about all the enemies I've made over the years. She seemed flabbergasted that I was able to keep going, knowing so many bad ponies wanted to hurt me. Well, Slips, this right here is what makes it all worth while. Seeing the joy this lost piece of history has brought to so many... This is what it's all about. This is what I live for."

Slipstream hugged Daring with her wing. "I'm glad to hear you say that, hon," Slipstream's eyes darted around conspiratorially as she whispered to Daring, "I almost forgot in all this excitement, but you'll never believe what was donated to my museum last week..."

***

August 21st, 2013
Baltimare, Equestria

The Adventure roared out over Horseshoe Bay as Daring Do headed out on another adventure. She turned back towards the city and flew low past the Inner Harbor, wiggling her wings at the ponies below before vectoring off towards her destination at the Frozen North.

An elderly couple watched her departure from a park bench. The husband waved towards the departing aircraft. "There she goes again! If I wasn't a happily married stallion I'd let her take me on an adventure."

The wife laughed. "Ha! I'm sure she's just aching to haul an old accountant with a bald spot around! Be my guest."

Inside the Adventure's cockpit, Daring switched on the auto-pilot as she looked over the ancient treasure map Slipstream had found for the thousandth time. The map apparently led to the tomb of a pre-Equestria pegasus warlord named Crimson Feather. The map's text warned that death would be the only reward for any who dared plunder the tomb's contents.

Daring giggled like a schoolfilly as she carefully folded the map back up. She tucked it into her pocket and exhaled a sigh of contentment. "Another day, another dungeon."

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment