• Published 16th Mar 2013
  • 356 Views, 5 Comments

Super Natural - CookiesOnFridays



Fluttershy always wanted something to happen in her life. It was always the same thing over and over again and again. What she didn't expect was for her life to be turned upside down for good or for worse? Her actions determine the fate of two w

  • ...
5
 5
 356

Just Another Day in the Office

Chapter 2- Just Another Day in the Office

“Fluttershy, Fluttershy!”

The banging on the door didn’t seem to end. The mare groaned in displeasure and lifted her head slowly, staring at the alarm clock that stood up patiently ticking its hands clockwise. The mare squinted her eyes and rubbed them with her hooves, blinking rapidly.

8:45A.M.

The mare groaned again and got up moderately. She looked at herself through the mirror and released a horrid screech as she cowered behind the sheets of her own bed. The pony in the mirror was just like Fluttershy except her mane was a mess with strands splintering everywhere and the usual curve at the end of her mane has disappeared. She had bangs under her eyes that stood out like a spot of black in white paint.

Another barrage of banging noises erupted downstairs making Fluttershy’s whimpers inaudible.

The mare look up from her sheets and moved her head left, then moved it right and just smiled when she realized who the person was in the mirror.

“Oh silly me, it’s just my reflection.” She said giggling to herself, “But I look like a mess…” She deadpanned.

She turned around and proceeded downstairs trudging sluggishly.

“I-I’m coming, just please be a little more patient.” Fluttershy said stifling a yawn.

The mare opened the door to see another mare holding up a puppy that scratched uncontrollably. The mare recoiled as she looked at Fluttershy. Her normal lush self was replaced with something that might’ve come out of dirt.

“F-Fluttershy,” the mare stammered, “Y-You don’t look so good. Are you feeling sick?”

Fluttershy just sniffed and smiled, “I-I-It’s nothing I just um… Had a rough night.”

The mare raised an eyebrow, questioning the last statement but shook her head when Fluttershy gave her a soft ‘squee’.

“Right… Well um… You’re fifteen minutes late to being open. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to disturb you-“

Fluttershy just smiled and took the puppy out of the mare’s hooves.

“Don’t worry about it, I have a job to do and I should intend to keep it!”

Just as Fluttershy was about to close the door, a hoof jabbed in making her stop.

“Wait!” The mare said opening the door again, “You got something here!”

The mare took a package from the ground and handed it to Fluttershy, “Always keep track of your mail silly filly.”

Fluttershy frowned, “I don’t remember having to get mail today, I just got them yesterday-“

“Well it DOES say ‘To: Fluttershy’ so yeah. I don’t think I know any other Fluttershy in town.” The mare shrugged handing over the package and trotting away, “Take good care of Elvis okay?”

A few seconds later the mare was out of sight. Fluttershy closed her door and placed Elvis on her pink couch. Grabbing a dog cone, she placed it in Elvis’s head with a small ‘plunk’. While she did so she reached for the package and rattled it petting Elvis.

“To Fluttershy…” She read out loud, “From a ‘Special Some Pony’?”

The mare blushed from reading this and petted Elvis harder, making him trying to scratch himself harder.

Fluttershy pondered on the thought for another minute, thinking of having a special somepony. She then shrugged and smiled. She opened the package to reveal a cardboard encased container which she unveiled.

Inside laid a pendent.

Fluttershy’s eyes glowed and sparkled as she placed a hoof on the piece of lavishing jewelry.

The pendant shined itself with light, reflecting its golden outlining cast shaped like a tree. In the middle, an emerald rotated and glittered like a disco ball shining multiple shades of green. Fluttershy looked at it closely, a small ruby shaped like a heart laid in the center of the tree shaped pendant, illuminating a soft red glow like a heartbeat.

Fluttershy wrapped the pendent around her head, “I don’t know who it’s from. There’s no card or receipt.”

Fluttershy wrapped the pendant around her neck and got up, going to a closet nearby and coming back just as quickly as she went.

“Now,” She said squirting a mountain of lotion over her hooves, “Let’s get started shall we?”
---------------------------------

Officer Nixen was not pleased. He has been in the police force for as long as he could remember. His motto, “Solve any crime, anytime.”

Though the problem at hoof didn’t seem like an easy crime to investigate or breathe through.

Officer Nixen took a sip of his lukewarm coffee and laid back, cracking a stiff smile.

“Office coffee’s bad like always…” He said to no one in particular.

His eyes lead to the files in front of him and the smile quickly extinguished. The feelings of stress and anger revived and his eyes turned a slight shade of red.

Nixen sighed and engulfed a breath of the vanilla scented air. He put down his coffee and got up. Grabbing a pack of cigarettes with a lighter, he slowly walked to an open window behind his desk and looked outside. The bustling city of Manehattan never seemed to rest. Mares with their stallions all bustled about and the honking of cars billowed down below.

Nexon chewed on the butt of his cigar and blew out the vanilla scented fumes into the already polluted air of the city.

With one hoof, he grabbed the cigarette and tapped it gently, letting the grey ashes to be swept away by the wind.

The pony stared off towards the setting sun, lowering itself behind some tall towers. The suns light reflected against his dark turquois mane but made a dull shine against his grey coat. The day was already coming to an end and yet he didn’t have any clue of where the thief was heading to. Of course he had some ideas but most of them were either too obvious or to extreme. He read the files countless of times, and he felt as if it was implanted in the back of his head.

To himself, he recited the information in the files.

“Subject’s name is Gnome, escaped from Mystical Creatures Resistance Prison or MYCRP for short. Age is unknown and inhabitation is unknown parts of the Everfree Forest. Former arrest was for stealing, vandalism, and murder of fifteen guard ponies near Ponyville 15 years ago. Current charges are theft, evidence found in the museum are animal foot prints, and fur… How does that add up?”

Nexen grunted taking in another deep breath of poison and letting it out.

There was a knock on his door and he didn’t even look.

“Come in...” He muttered.

A soft click of the door opening and closing could be heard from behind the frustrated pony.

“Detective Nixen sir?” A female voice said walking towards the stallion.

Nixen turned his head to face the mare in front of him. With her peach colored coat and long brown mane it was hard not to take notice of this mare.

“What is it Alice?” He said turning around.

Alice grinned, “Is that how you treat your secretary?”

Nixen let out a cough, “Well I guess not; sorry about the smoke. I just had a rough day.”

Alice stared at the stack of papers on his desk and waved the fumes away from her nose, “I can see that sir. You’ve smoked more than your usual dose.”

Nixen huffed in a bit of the cigar and blew smoke out from his nose.

The afternoon sunlight radiated through the open window, creating a soft golden carpet on the rugged floor. The two ponies stared at each other for a minute in silence, until Nixen turned back around.

“Anything new?” He said casually.

Alice took out a folder that she was carrying and pulled out a sheet of paper, “Yes sir, we suspect the Gnome has headed west and is heading for the dragon lands. Additionally, investigation teams are still at the Equestrian Museum and our operatives are out in the areas of the city.”

Nixen huffed and placed his burned out cigarette on an ash tray next to the window. He reached for another one but as he took one out, Alice’s hoof gently pushed it back down. He looked up to see Alice narrowing her eyes a little seductively and grinning.

“Why not let me have this one?”

Nixen grunted and raised his lighter as Alice placed the cigarette in her mouth. Nixen lit Alice’s as well as his own.

“You know,” Alice said letting the thin trail of grey fumes to dance in mid-air, “The Gnome could be anywhere by now.”

Nixen stayed silent while he stared off into the setting sun.

Alice sighed, “Their fast runners they are… Could be out of the Equestrian nation by now, he’s probably on the other side of Equestria for all I know.”

“I know Alice,” Nixen said keeping his voice calm despite his stress, “I’ve been getting the same statements all day, telling me that he can be anywhere or that he’s already at a different country. I contacted Princess Celestia and asked if she can notify everypony in every town.”

Alice nodded taking in another puff of vanilla, “What do you think the Gnome wants with ‘The Nature of Life’?”

Nixen felt his breath get caught in his throat. There were a few theories on why the Gnome would want something valuable like that. He was after all a bandit of sorts but why only one piece of jewelry?

“I have no idea.” Nixen said bluntly.

“Come on…” Alice said placing a hoof on Nixen’s chest, “Entertain me with your theories…”

Nixen looked away trying to keep a smile from creeping up his face. Alice was in a way cute but more towards the beautiful side. The way her mane waved back and forth with her movements was like watching water flow through a river bed. Her coat glowed as the bright sun light rained down against her, creating a heavenly glow. She was just something else, but Nixen knew better then to show obvious feelings. Those kinds of thoughts would interfere with his job, and he had no time for games.

Alice finally gave up and backed away.

“I know you’re stressed sir.” She said heading for the door, “Maybe we can do something tonight, what do you say?”

Nixen stayed silent despite the urge to give her an answer.

“Let’s go for dinner and we’ll have some fun. I know a great way to relieve stress.”

Nixen averted his eyes to see Alice straighten her flank, giving him a good view. His ears perked up taking the hint.

Alice swayed back and forth, tempting the detective until she reached the door. As Alice opened the door to make her leave, she stopped and turned her head towards Nixen, “Oh and you have a meeting with the Princess Celestia and the other district officers tomorrow. I already have the evidence ready.”

With that Alice walked out of the office, leaving Officer Nixen alone. He blew in the cigar, tasting the vanilla in his mouth.

“Meeting huh…” He said to himself.

He stared at the almost downed sun and blew a puff of smoke out of the window. A gentle breeze returned the favor and blew against his face.

Nixen stayed in the same position for a few minutes and allowed himself to enjoy the last of his cigarette.

‘I have little to no idea how the thief did it.’ Nixen thought to himself while putting out his smoke in the ashtray, ‘Reports say that there was animal foot prints and fur around but again how will that add up. Come on Nixen think!’

The detective got up and closed the window forcefully as he tried to come up with an idea of how the Gnome was able to steal the piece of jewlery. He walked back to his desk and took out a picture of the glass case, empty with the shadowy figure of the creature at the very edge of the photo.

The stallion sighed and shoved the picture back into its folder. He reached for his black trench coat and stared at the remains of the sun.

‘Well,’ Nixen thought to himself as he took his keys from his desk and approaching the door, ‘I’ll message Princess Celestia tomorrow morning…’

Nixen opened the door and stopped, thinking for a minute. He starred at his desk and turned away.

‘I might as well meet up with Alice.’

Nixen closed the door and the office was silent once again.

Light withdrew itself from the window and was replaced with darkness. Only the sound of Nixen’s hoofsteps echoing down the hall could be heard.

The office was dark and deathly quiet, like a knife suspended in mid-air. Moonlight slowly pooled in illuminating the desk and carpet, covering the entire room like a flood of water.

All was peaceful and calm with trails of grey smoke still hovering around.

It was just another day in the office.

Author's Note:

I didn't have any proof readers for this and due to regents coming up and upcoming activities for JROTC I'm kind of hammered. I proof read this myself but I also have to work on another chapter for another story for my proof readers by tomorrow (that is if they'll read it).
So far I received help from only one of my eight proof readers. His code name is Lemon.
I hope in the future they'll be able to read, this project isn't going to hold on to itself and in the date of the release, you can already see the rating and my predictions were correct.
Additionally, I feel like this chapter was also missing a lot of things... I just didn't have the feel of the chapter!
Hopefully it'll all get better.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment