• Published 27th Feb 2013
  • 438 Views, 2 Comments

Day And Age - Tunalock



Not all relationships last. This is the story of two lovers whose lives came to a crashing halt because of one simple action.

  • ...
 2
 438

Past Reminders

The desert was quiet. The only building that stood in the dusty wasteland was a simple house from Ponyville. Inside, the house was perfectly clean, as if the owners were expecting guests. However, this was not the case.

Miles away, a concrete bunker sunk into the ground stood facing the house, which looked like a speck from their perspective. Outside of the bunker was a pure white unicorn whose white mane waved beautifully in the summer breeze, and whose eyes were akin to a clean forest pond. Her cutie mark, oddly enough, contrasted from her beauty. Seemingly stamped onto her flank was a black and yellow radioactive symbol, a warning for anypony thinking to pick a fight with her.

"Alright, Atomic Bomb, fire when ready." spoke a grey pony in a white lab coat from the bunker. She nodded, then started to trot closer to the empty house. Atomic hadn't gone far before she tripped over something sticking out of the ground. The mare hit the ground with a loud "Oof!", then looked back to see what had tripped her.

It was a metal pipe with a black hoofgrip at the end. It looked like it had belonged to a motorcycle, and, upon closer inspection, Atomic found out that it was still connected to said motorcycle. Memories suddenly flashed through her mind. She and another unicorn were riding on the same motorcycle through a desert similar to the one she stood in now. The wind flew past her ears, making the only other audible sound the motorcycle engine. She could feel the wind in her mane and the leather seat slightly rubbing against her flanks. Somehow, it felt… good…

When she snapped back into reality, Atomic shook her head and looked from the motorcycle, then to the house, then back at the motorcycle. I was so much more than this before… she thought to herself. I wasn't being used like... a-a weapon... she reasoned as she turned back to face the bunker. One of the scientists trotted out and yelled, "Why haven't you done it yet?! We're all waiting for you!"

Tears lined Atomic's eyes as more memories flooded in. "I can't do it," she choked. "I just can't! Not any more! All this death and destruction, and for what?! For an attack that may never happen? I quit! Go and find somepony else!" She began to canter to the motorcycle when the scientist said, "You're the only unicorn with such ability, though! Where will we ever find another pony like you?"

"You won't." Atomic Bomb simply replied. Then, she climbed onto the motorcycle and drove off into the desert, heading for nearby Ponyville…


The latch came undone, and the rusty metal gate swung open. An olive green unicorn dragged himself out from the cell, his normally perfect black mane in disarray. His flank showcased a white starburst, but it was almost too hard to see through the dirt and dust that had collected on him. His eyes were also bloodshot from the many sleepless nights he had. The guard that had released him muttered, "…don't know why you get free time out in the courtyard… makes you so special…?" He hooked hoofcuffs to the front and hind legs of the unicorn, then prodded his flank. "Move it, Brightside!" the guard shouted, and he awkwardly stepped forwards and down the stairs.

Eventually, the winding staircase became too dark to walk down. The guard poked Brightside in the ribs with the blunt end of his weapon and shouted, "Light! Now!" The unicorn silently obeyed, bringing an otherworldly light into existence at the tip of his horn. Not a single square inch of darkness remained in their view, and they continued downwards. Eventually, they reached their destination: the Canterlot Statue Garden. Waiting at the garden entrance was a covered wagon, two more guards sitting on each side at the end.

"Your execution will be held in Ponyville." announced the guard that led Brightside outdoors. "I will not be able to attend it myself, but I assure you, I will enjoy it all the same from here." A shiver was sent down Brightside's spine. "E-execution?" he stuttered. The guard turned to him and said, "Yes, punishment for the murder of a high-ranking official. I hope you rot in Tartarus."

"I-I didn't kill anypony! I swear I didn't!" shouted the unicorn desperately. However, the guard just grabbed Brightside and shoved him into the wagon. "May his soul rest in piece, and yours in pieces." he said to the hoofcuffed stallion before the wagon started off into the distance.


Ponies shouted all around him, screaming for Brightside's death. Their angry voices drummed against his ears like a mantra. If it weren't for the cover of the wagon, he would have surely been killed by the townsponies.

Suddenly, the wagon stopped, and a pair of hooves shoved him into the bright daylight. After his eyes had adjusted to the light, Brightside took a look around at the crowd that wished for his demise. They all shook their hooves at him, and their faces were all squinting in his direction. However, there was one mare that wasn't doing either of those things.

Even though she wore a black mourning gown, it failed to hide the lavender horn sprouting from the unicorn's skull. Brightside immediately recognized the mare as Twilight Sparkle, the Element of Magic. Before he could get a better look, though, he was pulled across the cobblestone road to the gallows.

As the rope made its way around his neck, a guard recited, "Mister Brightside, you are found guilty of the murder of the Captain of the Royal Guard, Shining Armor, and are sentenced to execution by hanging. Do you have any last words?"

"Yes! Yes, I do!" shouted the olive green unicorn. "I didn't kill him, somepony else did! I-I…" His thoughts were interrupted by the sight of a lovely mare, whose white mane flowed freely in the wind, and whose eyes were akin to a clear forest pond. For a moment, a spark lit between the two. Brightside began remember everything that happened, starting at the very, very beginning, the day he arrived in Ponyville…

Author's Note:

Yet another wonderful story to be started! This was a lot tougher planning than the rest of mine, so please rate truthfully!
Also, I would just like to say that, yes, it did feel a bit rushed.

Comments ( 2 )

As you say, it might have been a bit rushed. There also may have been some things phrased passively instead of actively that I corrected mentally, but nothing too bad. That's just a thing I do.
But still you have my attention.

And by the way, wasn't this the one you needed cover art for?

Login or register to comment