• Published 11th Feb 2013
  • 2,469 Views, 17 Comments

More than my Assistant - Kamikaze-Brwny



After reading Spike’s journal, Twilight discovers that she might not be valued as a friend by the young dragon as she hopes to be.

  • ...
4
 17
 2,469

Planning

To recap from the previous chapter: Twilight panics, her and Spike clean up, Twilight finds a journal, it’s Spike’s, he doesn’t write about her, and she decides to be nicer to him. Also I ‘the (insert awesome word here) narrator’ now have a personality of my own and will be putting in my two cents every now and again. I will also try to be as descriptive as possible, but don’t expect perfection! On with the next chapter!

~~~

Twilight had just finished picking up the last piece of trash off the floor and placed in into a bag she was levitating with her magic. Twilight continually tried to think of what she could do to make Spike see that she cared about him. Personally, I’d get him some gems.

“Hmm, maybe I could get him a book about… wait, no!” Twilight shook her head, casting out the idea. “Spike doesn’t want a book! He wants something that HE likes! Not something that I like! Ugh, how am I ever going to show Spike he matters to me when I can’t even think anything he likes?! I really am a horrible friend!” Twilight fell to the floor in tears. I’m guessing the stress she’s putting on herself made her forget everything written in her assistant’s incredibly descriptive journal!

*Knock, Knock*

Twilight lifts her head and wipes the tears from her eyes as she walked up to the front door of the library.

“Could Spike be back already?” Twilight asked herself with a puzzled look.

Twilight opened the door and discovered that the visitor was her good friend Applejack.

“Oh hey Applejack, what brings you by today?” Twilight asked.

“Well, Mac and I finished all of our chores at Sweet Apple Acres. So I thought I’d ask if you or anyone else is interested in helping with the decorations.” Applejack asked.

“Decorations?” Twilight asked, confused.

“Shoot sugar cube! The decorations for this year’s Nova Festival!” Applejack said with glee. I think it’s their Fourth of July.

Twilight went wide-eyed.

“The Nova Festival is THIS WEEK?!” Twilight asked completely dumbfounded.

“Umm yeah. You’re the one that kept telling us not to forget and mark the date on our calendars. Are you feeling all right Twilight?” Applejack said with concern in her voice.

Twilight shook her head and smiled at her friend.

“Oh right! That’s why the Princess is coming here in the next three days! How could I have forgotten that?” Twilight said placing her front hoof on her face. She’s smart, but forgetful.

“H-Hold on. The Princess is coming to this year’s festival?! Wow, what an honor! Twilight, I’m definitely gonna need your help now!” Applejack said.

Twilight chuckled and nodded her head.

“No problem Applejack! Now let’s get moving!” Twilight said to her friend.

Both of the ponies left the library and ran straight to the town square. All the while the two of them were running, Twilight still couldn’t figure out what she could do for Spike. He’d probably write a whole book about her if she got him a diamond to eat, heh.

~~~

Meanwhile at the Carousel Boutique, Spike had just arrived and knocked on the front door.

“Hello? Rarity? It’s Spike!” Spike shouted, but he noticed that his actions were going unnoticed. Just like with everything else he does for her, zing!

Rarity was actually too involved with her latest design to even hear the knocks on her door. Rarity was working on a white ball gown and she was currently working on the finishing touches, how exciting…

“Oh! The outfit of my image will soon be complete! Now, in order to make this design perfect there should be at least be an array of gorgeous blue sapphires on this garment somewhere. Now should I put them vertically on the chest or horizontally across the waist? Oooh! Maybe BOTH! I wonder if I have enough sapphires.” Rarity turned her head over to a white chest across the room.

Rarity walked over to the chest and looked all around inside of it for the sapphires she seeked.

“Oh! Where is that box of sapphires? I swear if Sweetie Belle took them again…” Rarity said with an annoyed look on her face.

Spike still stood at the front door of the boutique with boredom beginning to settle in.

“Rarity! Hello? Are you even home? If she wasn’t how could she even answer that?” Spike said to himself, but he soon shrugged his arms about it.

Spike sighed and decided to walk off somewhere else, hopefully someplace interesting.

“Well if Rarity isn’t home I might as well go to the next best place to offer my assistance. The Sugar Cube Corner!” Spike said as he licked his lips. “Especially when Pinkie ends up making too many cupcakes!” Spike began to drool and walked away from the Boutique. Sounds better than making dresses that’s for sure!

“Hello? Is anyone here?” Rarity pokes her head out the window and saw Spike leaving. “Hmm, was that Spike knocking at the door? Oh dear, I’ll have to apologize to him later for ignoring him, but for right now.” Rarity’s eyes gleamed as she walked back over to her dress with her newly acquired sapphires.

Spike walked along the road toward his new destination, all the while thinking about something that’s been bugging him.

“Hmm, I know Twilight was going nuts today about getting the library cleaned, but why was she acting so strange before I left? Not just that, but why did she want me to take the day off? She rarely does that at all unless…” Spike thought deeply to himself before bumping into a fruit cart selling oranges. “Ow!” Spike fell to the ground and rubbed his head.

“Hey, watch where you’re going kid!” A brown furred colt with long orange hair shouted at Spike. If you’re also curious about his attire, he is just wearing a yellow apron.

“Sorry mister.” Spike said rubbing the back of his head with a smile.

The colt’s angry expression calmed down as he walked next to Spike. That was such a short conflict.

“Ah it’s okay, sorry about the shouting.” The colt smiled and offered Spike his foreleg. “Need a hand?” He said. Technically it should be ‘need a hoof’ right?

“Thanks.” Spike took the colts hand and lifted himself up off the ground. “My name’s Spike and you are?”

“The name’s Clyde and I’m passing through Ponyville here for the Nova festival!”

“The NOVA FESTIVAL?! That’s this week?!” Spike said in a panicked tone. How did they both forget?!

“Oh yeah! The Nova Festival should be here in just three days from now, and my plan here is to sell as much of my family’s delectable oranges as I can!” Clyde smiled proudly. I sense competition for Applejack.

“Oranges? Heh, you know we have a family in Ponyville that majors in apples, have you ever heard of them?” Spike asked Clyde.

“You mean the Apple family? Sure! I’ve met them quite a number of times on occasion.” Clyde said with a smirk.

“Oh man, you don’t have some kind of feud with them do you?” Spike asked nervously. That would make things interesting!

Clyde just laughed and shook his head, aw man…

“Nah, those folks are alright! Just because our families sell different fruit that doesn’t mean we instantly hate one another! Plus, between you and me that Applejack girl is kind of a cutie if you know what I mean.” Clyde said as he winked at Spike, oh my goodness.

Spike rolled his eyes, and who can blame him?

“Right… anyway it was nice meeting you Clyde, I gotta go.” Spike said and turned to walk off.

“Umm, hey Spike?” Clyde said to Spike nervously.

Spike turned his head to Clyde, what now?

“Yeah?” Spike asked.

“Uhh, I was just wondering if you could help me out with my cart here.” Clyde said with a nervous smile.

Spike took a closer look at the colt’s wooden cart and noticed a broken wheel, fantastic.

“Whoa, what exactly can I do to help?” Spike asked with a confused look.

“Well, if you could just watch the cart while I go find a replacement I would really appreciate it. Please?” Clyde said with a pleading look. Don’t do it Spike, just enjoy your day off.

“Sure, but hurry back if you could. I still got places to go today.” Spike said with his arms folded and a smile. Oh come on!

“You bet! Thanks Spike! I swear I’ll repay you for this!” Clyde ran off with a big smile.

Spike sat down next to the cart and looked up at the clouds, how exciting!

“Guess I won’t be getting any cupcakes any time soon.” Spike sighed. “Curse my kind nature.” Spike folded his arms and began to doze off. That does it, I’ll just go see what Twilight’s doing.

~~~

Twilight and Applejack had finally arrived at the town square where about every citizen in Ponyville was preparing for the upcoming Nova Festival. Both ponies and colts together were setting up various wooden kiosks for particular foods, games, and etcetera. Plus some kind of large stage with a long pole with a red star on top of it was being built in the middle of the town square. I don’t really know what that’s for, but it’ll probably be something awesome!

“Wow! I’ve only seen Nova Festivals in Canterlot, but I have to say that this one might be just as good!” Twilight said with an impressed look on her face. Way to compliment Twilight.

“Just as good?” Applejack turned to Twilight with a coy smile. “Heck, the way things are beginning to look I’m pretty sure this festival will be the best you’ve ever seen!” Applejack said with excitement. You tell her AJ!

“Hehe, you know Applejack, I think you might be right.” Twilight said with a giggle.

Twilight and Applejack walked towards a wooden stand that didn’t look nearly complete. It looked like a child’s first attempt at a lemonade stand, ugh.

“Is this the stand you’re making for your apples?” Twilight asked with a confused look.

“Yup! All I need is just a little help and everyone else is too busy to help.” Applejack said with a pleading look. I know where this is going.

“And you came to me since I’m the only one available.” Twilight said with a smirk.

“Do you mind sugar cube?” Applejack asked. Come on Twi, seriously?

“Of course not! You’re my friend, and helping one another is what friends do!” Twilight smiled as did Applejack. I give up…

“Okay then lets get this finished!” Applejack shouted with confidence. Woo-hoo…

“Right!” Twilight chimed in.

The two of them began their task of completing the apple stand. Applejack was placing wooden boards in place while Twilight used her magic to hammer in the nails to keep the structure secure. Despite enjoying the help she was giving her friend, Twilight couldn’t help but go back to her earlier thoughts about making Spike see that she cares about him. Twilight was so distracted by this she accidentally banged the hammer into the wrong thing, which happened to be one of Applejack’s forelegs. Ouch!

“OW!!!” Applejack screamed painfully and fell to the ground.

Twilight gasped realizing what she had done.

“Oh my gosh, Applejack! Are you okay?” A panicked Twilight said as she ran over to her injured friend. You just slammed a hammer into her leg Twilight, do you think she’s okay?

“Consarn it Twilight! Watch where you’re hammering that thing!” Applejack yelled as she held her injured foreleg with the other.

“I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean it, I swear!” Twilight said wracked with guilt. I’m sure AJ’s been through worse right?

Applejack got up and limped over to a nearby wall of a building.

“Its fine Twilight, but I don’t think I can be of much help anymore with my foreleg all busted.” Applejack said.

“Don’t worry Applejack. I can handle the rest of this, you just relax.” Twilight smiled and continued building the stand herself…with her magic of course.

“Thanks darling. By the way, if I may be so bold to ask, what in tarnation was you thinking about before you hit me?” Applejack asked. She’s got a sixth sense or something.

“What do you mean?” Twilight asked nervously.

“Oh please, I can tell something’s troubling you. So come on, let’s talk.” Applejack smiled.

Twilight sighed and turned to her friend.

“Well… I don’t think Spike really thinks I care about him.” Twilight looked down sadly. Aw…

“You think that Spike, who’s been you’re best friend before you even came here, doesn’t think you care about him?” Applejack said before bursting into laughter. “That is hysterical! Twilight, of course he thinks you care!” Applejack said while giggling, but her laughter stopped after she saw Twilight’s sad expression. “Twi? You know that right?” Applejack asked with concern. I don’t think she does AJ.

“Yeah, but well…” Twilight trailed off.

“Well, what?” Applejack asked confused.

“Well what if he didn’t?! How could I show him that I don’t just think of him as an assistant?!” Twilight asked with a worried tone.

“Now calm down Twi. If you really think that Spike doesn’t see himself as any more to you than your assistant then why not show him that he’s not just here because of what he does, but what he is.” Applejack explained. Applejack makes a great therapist.

“What do you mean?” Twilight asked.

“He’s your best friend Twi! You’ve got to let him know that he’s not just here because Princess Celestia assigned him to be your personal assistant, he’s here because you care about him. I’m sure as soon as you tell him that he’ll be happy knowing he lives here with you.” Applejack smiled. That could work, right Twilight?

“So I need to show Spike that he’s not just here to do all of the chores and everything. I know! I’ll do every single chore tomorrow and give him a whole day off!” Twilight smiled. That could work too I guess.

“That’s not what I said at all Twilight. Just tell him how much you value the friendship you two share! You don’t have to be Spike’s maid for the entire day!” Applejack laughed. Don’t give her ideas!

“A maid! That’s perfect! I can even wear a uniform and treat him like royalty! I’ll ask Rarity for a perfect outfit! Spike is gonna love it! Thanks Applejack!” Twilight smiled and ran off completely ignoring her friend. Is she really serious?

“Did you even listen to me?!” Applejack shouted at Twilight with an annoyed expression. “Hey, wait! We’re not done with the stand yet! Twilight!” Applejack shouted to get her friend’s attention, but to no avail. Applejack was annoyed, but limped back over to the half finished stand and picked the hammer up with her teeth. “I gwsh somfins yu gotta do yurshelf” Applejack said with the hammer muffling most of her words. This is all just getting a little too crazy now. I’m taking a break, until next time!

Author's Note:

Thanks for the favs, upvotes, and pretty much everything else. I was nervous about posting this story at first, but I think I'll see it through to the very end, unless writers block happens of course. Hope you guys continue to enjoy the story and keep watching for more. Peace out, K-B. P.S. Happy Hearts and Hooves (Valentines) Day!

Comments ( 7 )

OK, I like this story, it a fun piece that I'm interested in seeing where you are taking it.

That said the 'author asides' that you've added need to go. They disrupt the flow, bringing you out of the story and generally come across as amateurish. If you wish to put comments into the narrative it should to be a MST take. Posted separately. Injecting comments like this will almost certainly degrade your work. Please stop.

2124195
Okay, that's it! :flutterrage:
No more suggestions okay! Do this, do that, just stop all of you! Forget everything I did to both chapters and I will write this MY WAY! If you guys don't like that, then just get lost!

2124548 Wow, someone doesn't like suggestions. haha
But either way it was a fine little read so kudos.

lol this is going to be crazy fun :pinkiehappy:

2125297
Thank you very much. I'll admit that my previous comment was over the top, but I write for a reason: to make others happy. Sounds cheesy I know, but it's what I want to do, and I'm not going to let others who think my writing should improve stop me. Like I said before: the way I write is my style, and I think my style is perfect to me. Have a good day, K-B.

I'm with darkeva on this one. See, inserting MST3k-ish comments could work without breaking the narrative apart in very jarring and aggravating way, but you need to use present tense. That way the narrator (who now appears to be a conscious presence) is commenting on the action as it's happening. It makes no sense to drop present-tense comments on a story that already happened.

2126622
Is this story continuing?

Login or register to comment