• Published 10th Feb 2013
  • 491 Views, 4 Comments

The Legend of the Knights - AvalonAva



For what should have been Ino's end became a begining.

  • ...
23
 4
 491

The Great Escape

The Legend of the Knights

Chapter 3

The Great Escape


The room was terribly lit. People were being ushered along by Shadow Knight, putting the captives, slaves, and other sorts of beings into a single-man elevator. The blind hero was walking among them, head down and eyes closed. The line moved slowly, and time seemed to slow downas he got nearer and nearer to the elevator. As time passed, only one more prisoner stood between him and an elevator. A Knight next to it pressed a down button, and seconds later the door opened. The prisoner was grabbed by the shoulder and pushed into the open elevator. The door slid shut, then the Knight pressed an up button. Ino opened his eyes, activating his Aura. The details in the room were outlined with blue and colored in with black. As Ino stood there, he noticed something odd. He still had the Widowmaker in its sheath. He looked around, and realized that everyone had weapons.

"What the hell? Who would let their prisoners keep their weapons?" Ino asked himself as the elevator door slid oped before him. He was taken by the shoulder, and shoved into the elevator. His head smacked into the wall. "Agh! Geez, can't you be any careful?" He spat at the Knight. The black armored captor chuckled.

"The best one I've heard today." He moved his arm and pressed the up button next to the elevator. "Good luck." He said as the door closed.

It was dark inside the elevator the entire ride up. After around thirty seconds passed, it came to a stop. The doors slid open, and bright light filled into the small elevator.

"Great. This isn't my day." Ino said to himself. Other elevators opened up, all along the inner wall of a Colosseum. Ino looked at their inhabitants, and saw some familiar faces. Nestis was to his right, looking around the arena. To Ino's left, Commander Hooves stood, holding a hoof in front of her helmet, above her eyes due to the sudden flooding of light. And directly ahead of him was Maelstrom. He was looking straight at Ino. He nodded to Ino, and he returned the favor. A massive crowd occupied the stands. Some highly decorated Shadow Knight, who happened to be a general, stood in a high box.

"Welcome competitors to today's 7th game of Survival! The goal is simple: survive! Do whatever it takes, and try not to die. Round One is the Fearlings!" As he finished, a large cage rose n the center of the arena. Inside it resided around 50 of these "Fearlings". They looked like wolves, but had mandibles and bat-like wings. And to top it all off, a twin stinger tails similar to a scorpion's.

"I see why they're called Fearlings. Those things look deadly as hell." Ino said. The announcer was finishing up his discription.

"Competitors: Let the game begin!" He shouted. The cage fell open, and the Fearlings took off in each and every direction. Already some prisoners met their grizzly demise.

XXX

Down at the other end of the arena, Maelstrom shouldered his FAL. Charging down into the fray, he took aim at the nearest fearling. He squeezed the trigger, and his rifle bucked as the bullet was propelled from the barrel. Seconds later, a bloody hole was etched into the side of the fearling's head. Others, angered for their fallen comrade, charged at him with blood lust. With deft movement, Maelstrom switched his rifle with the Scar-H he had slung behind him. Short bursts of bullets tore through the creatures, and one by one they fell to the ground, dead.

"I honestly hope we can get out of here. Every second is one wasted. We need to get back to our mission." He said to himself.

XXXX

Commander Hooves shredded through the constant waves of fearlings, dodging and avoiding any potential dangers. Switching to the her FAL, she took off a few of the creatures' heads. Nearby, Maelstrom had also switched back to his FAL. Both firing, Derpy manger to get over to her teammate.

"How's it goin?" Derpy said in a cheerful voice.

"Alright I guess. I figured you'd be more pissed about delaying the mission."

"Hell no! I'm having a good time!" Derpy then managed to get one shot to take out three fearlings.

"Remind me to never piss you off." Both of their ammo clips hit empty capacity. The sound of two clips simultaneously ejecting were heard. Each threw a clip to the other, turned, caught, and reloaded. They continued fire almost immediately after.

XXXX

Nestis shot down a fearling preparing to strike Ino. Jumping over his fellow warrior, a couple more fearlings dropped to the ground. He landed next to the assassin.

"This is pretty mindless entertainment. Killing others for the amusement of the masses." Nestis said. He ducked, drew his sword, and ran it through his assailant.

"I know. I've seen these events happen before." Ino punched one of the creatures, shot another with one of his darts, and sliced another in half with his wrist blade. The last of the fearlings had finally collapsed to the ground. Aside from Derpy, Ino, Nestis, and Maelstrom, not many of the captives had survived the onslaught. The general looked down upon the survivors, scoffing.

"So, we seemed to have weeded out the weak." He said.

"Weak? You mean the defenseless!" Ino shouted at him.

"What are you talking about, imbecile? We supplied them with weapons."

"It's one thing to give someone a weapon, it's another for them to know how to use it!" Ino yelled back to the Shadow Knight. He was about to say something, then thought about it.

"Who are you?" He asked.

"The name's Ino Shuma, an assassin from the Erandi human race! The one that was recently exterminated by your kind!" After Ino said this, the general burst into laughter.

"Yes, your race was formidable. But nevertheless weak. Knights! Put an end to the Erandi human race." The general drew his sword. "I shall be rewarded highly for bringing your head to his excellency!" From all around the four heroes, gates opened. Shadow Knights of all classes and ranks came rushing out towards them, with Ino being their priority target.

"Nestis, Derpy, now!" Maelstrom shouted. The three fired rifle shots into as many knights as they could hit. Helmets flew and armor shattered. As they repelled the assault, Ino took off running towards the general's high box. He picked up speed, and kicked off from the ground.

"I'll show you weak. Erandi Arch Cannon!" A blast of blue energy focused into a beam came from Ino's hand, and hit the general's box. He only had a second to scream before the entire wall in front of Ino was blasted into rubble. He landed on the rubble, and turned back to the three fighting. "Guys! Let's get out, now!" Turning back towards the opening, he jumped out of the cruel stadium. Seconds later, Nestis, Derpy, and Maelstrom landed next to Ino.

XXXX

"Alright," Derpy said, "Now we just have to find out where the hell we are in this city." She said. The four looked around for anything useful. Not too far away, a vehicle similar to a Warthog waited.

"That shouldn't be here. But as long as it works, it your way out of the city." Maelstrom said. Ino turned to him.

"What do you mean "your way"?" He questioned.

"I mean, we came here with a purpose: to destroy this city. Now, you three need to get out of her. I'll find my own way to the nuclear core and detonate it." He walked towards the Warthog, and resting next to it was a black motorcycle. It had a built in machine gun where the headlight should be. "That'll do. You guys get out now. I'll see you later." He mounted the bike, revved up, and took off towards the city center. Derpy turned to the two others.

"Well? Let's get a move on. He won't take forever to detonate that core!" She jumped into the passenger side. Ino took the driver's seat, and Nestis the turret.

"Are you sure you can drive?" He asked Ino.

"I have an idea." He switched the Warthog on, shifted it into drive, and started to move. It picked up speed quickly, and they soon hit a main highway of the city. By now, some of the city's forces realized the commotion at the arena, an now began to pursue the three escapees. Ino took evasive maneuvers to avoid missiles and other attacks from airborne craft. "Nestis? If you would?" He asked. Nodding, the armored cyborg turned the turret around and began to fire upon the pursuing craft. Nearby, a few ground vehicles began to get near them. Passengers began to fire upon the exposed portions of the vehicle.

"Commander, I need some cover fire!" Nestis shouted. She shouldered her FAL and shot at the assailants. A few rounds to the engine and tires of one cause it to spin out of control, and flip, hitting a few of its companions. A couple of miles behind them, a massive explosion rocked the entire city. A large and bright sphere of purple flames, quickly turning red, emitted from the city's center. Nearby, a motorcycle sped up to them.

"I was beginning to worry about you!" Derpy shouted. Maelstrom nodded, and tossed a spike-like object to Ino. He caught it, on hand still on the wheel.

"Hurry up and smash that into the dashboard!" He shouted to Ino. He took it, and jammed the object into the dash. Up ahead, a bridge was all that remained between them and the pursuing city guards, and more importantly, the wall of flame quickly approaching them. "That bridge wont hold forever! As soon as we hit the peak, well be transported out of here." The bridge came closer, and so did the fire. And almost like magic, the far end of the bridge collapsed. It was a dead end. "This is where we part ways. Good luck guys!" They hit the bridge, and took of up the half still standing. As they got to the edge, Ino wondered if this would really work. a sudden surged of electricity emerged from the spike, and coursed through the vehicle. The Warthog hit empty space, and went into free fall. Then, the surrounding area disappeared. Everything flashed blue, and a forest was in front of them. 20 feet down of course. They fell, and hit the ground. The vehicle took most of the damage, rolling until coming to a crunching stop by a tree. Ino slid out of the totaled jeep, the air knocked out of him. Nestis walked around, and offered him a hand. Ino, after a moment, took it. Nestis helped him up, and Derpy trotted by them. She removed her helmet, and inhaled deeply.

"Ah. Home." She looked towards Ino. "Welcome to Equestria."