• Published 17th Feb 2013
  • 3,536 Views, 22 Comments

Young Crushes - Discord Kantus



Scootaloo and Apple Bloom share a tender moment after school one day.

  • ...
7
 22
 3,536

Young Crushes

Dear Rainbow Dash and Applejack,

I write this partially as the teacher of the school your sisters go to, and partially as a friend. Over the past few days, I have witnessed your two sisters, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo, in several interesting events that I believe you should know about.

The first thing I noticed happened four days ago when I noticed Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle talking to each other quietly while Apple Bloom was working on a project for school. I do not know what they were talking about, but both developed blushes quite quickly after one line Scootaloo said.

At first, I believed that Apple Bloom was not invited on the conversation because Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle had simply known each other for much longer. Scootaloo's origins are mysterious; where she lived before she came to this school, any family she may have other than her adopted sister who is reading this now, why she was at the cute seniera in the first place, or really anything else about her is completely unkown, and she doesn't seem keen on giving away the details. One thing I do know, however, is that she and the unicorn filly have known each other for an incredibly long time. While they have both become fast friends with Apple Bloom after the party incident, the two do have a much longer relationship with each other, so I imagined that whatever it was, they simply did not believe Apple Bloom had been friends with them long enough to hear or understand. It turns out I was wrong.

The next day, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle continued talking by themselves, much to Apple Bloom's dismay. She continued asking what they were talking about, and why she could not hear, but they continued saying that she would learn soon. Once again, I did not hear much about what they said, but I noticed that the words "plan" and "plot" were thrown around quite a bit. Eventually, I decided to ask them what they were up to, but they said it was a secret. If I hadn't known the girls as well as I did, I would have believed they were selling drugs of some sort.

Suddenly, the next day, everything seemed to be in order once again. I was not sure what had happened. They began talking to Apple Bloom again, as usual, and I thought that maybe something extremely quick had just passed over. However, I did see Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle bring it up at one point. "We'll tell you tomorrow," I heard Sweetie Belle say. Apple Bloom seemed quite relieved to finally learn what the two ponies were up to.

Today, the day that I write this, the day once again continued as usual. I thought that maybe they were going to tell Apple Bloom whatever it was that they wanted to say elsewhere after school, but lo and behold, right when the bell rang, Sweetie Belle said she had to help her sister with "something", as she put it, and ran off without explaining what something could possibly pertain to.

Scootaloo seemed to be walking a lot slower than she normally did, forcing Apple Bloom to slow down as well so that they could continue talking with each other. I was grading papers for the class at the time, but unlike before, they were talking a lot louder than usual, so I could actually hear them. Due to my increasing worries that whatever was going on would lead to something big, I periodically looked out side to see what they were doing as well as saying. At first, it seemed that they were talking about whatever happened to come to the minds of either pony, about their sisters and the weather and the electoral college. However, the moment everypony except them had left, Scootaloo glanced around extremely quickly to make sure nopony was watching. "Hey, Apple Bloom," I heard her say quietly.

"Yes, Scoots?" I heard from the earth pony.

"There's something I'd like to ask you."

"Well then, ask it!"

I heard Scootaloo clear her throat, and she checked around to make sure nopony was watching again. I was at the window at the time, but she did not seem to notice me. "Have you ever... liked somepony?" I heard her ask after several seconds. Instantly, I saw where this was going, and prepared to have to comfort Scootaloo after being rejected.

"Yes. Why?"

"Well, I kinda like somepony right now myself."

"Well, why didn't ya just say so? Ah wouldn't have told anypony!"

"Well... the pony I like... it's... it's you."

I saw Apple Bloom's eyes grow to an enormous size as she heard this information.

"You're... you're really pretty, Apple Bloom, and you're quite nice too. I've been talking to Sweetie Belle about it for the past several days, and we decided that I should tell you now."

"Well, Scoots..."

"Is that a yes or a no?"

"Ya see, the thing is..." I saw Apple Bloom turn away from Scootaloo at this point. "If Ah said Ah didn't think you were pretty, or kind, or anything like that, Ah would be lyin' through my teeth. The thing is though, Scoots... You're too good for me. There are plenty of other ponies- fillies and colts- who would love to be with you, and most of them are far better looking then Ah could ever be." I saw Apple Bloom about to continue, but she was stopped by a hoof in front of her.

"Not to me, they're not," was all Scootaloo said in response to Apple Bloom's monologue. I saw them both begin to lean into each other, and my heart stopped as I realized that Scootaloo had really managed to get this situation to work out for her. I nearly gasped as their lips met. It was clumsy and awkward, a sign of the inexpertise of a ten-year old filly at kissing, but the passion behind it was clear.

Being a teacher, I have seen many romances attempt to blossom before me, but near all of them have ended in failure. This is also the first time I have ever seen a relationship between two fillies or two colts before. I personally do not find any problem with such a relationship, but I still leave the matter to you two. As I am writing this, they are both still outside, running around and occasionally stopping to nuzzle each other or embrace. I do not think their relationship will falter any time soon, regardless of what tampering anypony tries on it from the outside. I heard them agree not to tell anypony until they were in middle school, which is two years from now, so I wouldn't suggest saying you heard about it to them unless you really want something to change between them. If you truly do not approve of such a couple, I cannot stop you from trying to break them up. However, I would suggest leaving them be. They appear extremely happy as they are.

Friend and Teacher,

Cheerilee

Author's Note:

This idea really just sprouted up from a single line in a different fic that will be released after this one. Thus, due to its connection to that fic, it is technically canon to Change of Opinions as well. I mentioned nothing about any events in that fic at all in here, but the next one will have it contain a bit more relevance. Just throwing that out there.
Honestly, though, despite my excuse not to add too much detail or length due to this being a letter from Cheerielee, I don't think particularly highly of this one over my other fics. I apologize if you do not think this meets the same level of quaility as This is Heaven or Change of Opinions.

Comments ( 22 )

Oh Cheerilee, you so seedy :trollestia:

I like this.

Short, sweet, and unique, in my opinion.


And no, this liking is not to "justify" my following you.

2993679 In a good way, or not? If my story was awful, it's okay to tell me, because if you don't I will never improve.

good story but can i just say...
THAT BITCH CHERILEE GETTIN INTO DEY BIDDNESS

3182126 Heh, kind of, but writing from the perspective of one of the CMC just wouldn't have worked for this one.

This should get more likes for originality, sort of.

3192608 The current like/dislike ratio is 26:0, which basically comes out to infinity:1. That's easily the best ratio on this site. How could I ask for more?

3192667
Well, something tells me that someone might add a dislike in the future

3192990 It's been out since February. The initial rush of random people and trolls is over, and the only people who will read this now are people who read a more recent story of mine and choose to follow me.

Scootaloo's origins are mysterious; where she lived before she came to this school, any family she may have other than her adopted sister who is reading this now, why she was at the cute seniera in the first place, or really anything else about her is completely unkown, and she doesn't seem keen on giving away the details.

This part of the letter feels like a total copout. Rather than add to the story, it feels like you're bringing attention to the fact that you can't be bothered to actually develop Scootaloo's background at all. Simply hinting at a normal family life, or mentioning her being an orphan or anything would have easily taken up the same or less amount of space, and not drawn attention away from the story.

If I hadn't known the girls as well as I did, I would have believed they were selling drugs of some sort.

...seriously?


The biggest problem overall that I see from this story is that I can't actually imagine someone writing a letter like this. The way the information is being presented just doesn't feel natural. It might feel a bit better if it were several letters, the way the information progresses. It would also be a much more interesting story if, across multiple letters, we got responses from the older sisters being written to.

The other problem leading to a lack of believability is the kind of content being written about. Teachers don't typically write letters to parents just because two friends exclude a third friend from conversations during recess. in fact, why is this even grabbing Cheerilee's attention? Everything before the confession seems like it would pass by without notice.

Two of her students kissing might be itself a reason for Cheerilee to write their guardians, for sure. The fact that nothing really bad happens afterwards though could easily make for a very short conversation between the three adults, maybe a few smiles and laughter, and maybe some big sisterly teasing later. Not a teacher concerned by inappropriate behavior though.

Overall it feels like the story could have been more easily told as a guardian+teacher meeting over coffee rather than a letter. At that, concerned by the kiss, Cheerilee could recall some of the buildup to the event if it were worthwhile, but the focus of the story would probably be how the two fillies are generally behaving after the fact, but that the older sisters may want to keep an eye on them after school when Cheerilee isn't able to supervise them.


I realize it is an attempt at a fairly fluffy/cute scene. The execution just sort of ruins it though.

3444414 Yeah, this one wasn't very good. I consider it one of the worst ones I've written. the letter format just doesn't do it for me. I'll stick with regular first person from now on.

These comments are disappointing me. Very disappointed face. >:ajsleepy:

This is my un-dissapointing reaction: HOLY CRAP. OH MY GOD. OH. MYGOD. OMIGOD. DUUUUUUUUDE THIS IS TOTALLY FABULOUS!!!:raritystarry: *gasp* OMG *gasp* O.M.G. *GASP* OH. EM. GEE. TOO.... MUCH... CUTENESS.... CANT BREATHE.... *dies* :rainbowkiss: I TOTALLY ADORE the fact that Cherilee is writing a letter to AJ and Dashie! It's soooooooooo unique and I LOVE IT.

....wait a second. I ship AppleDash. ..........crap.

4618048 Save it. It's really not that good.

Comment posted by Twisted Curse deleted Aug 16th, 2014

4835682 You, sir, need to get better tastes. This story is pretty horrendous.

Comment posted by Twisted Curse deleted Aug 12th, 2014

3192990
you're a prophet.

10588752
That was a 7 year old comment :trollestia:

10588957
The internet is immortal

Login or register to comment