• Published 31st Mar 2024
  • 349 Views, 2 Comments

Sparity Story (The End of the World) - Mockingbirb



Like the literal, actual end of the world, some things were never meant to be.

  • ...
11
 2
 349

Last Things

A stray bit of light leaked through a tiny gap between two curtains, and struck Spike directly on one closed eye.

After a minute, the teenage dragon's eye opened slightly. "That was nice of Celestia, to raise the sun early," he said, squinting and blinking.

"Yes," replied Rarity's voice, sounding not really awake.

Spike went from half-asleep to...full of surprise and shock. What happened last night? he wondered. Did that really happen?

No, this must be...a group sleepover.

Still feeling Rarity's warm belly against his back and folded wings, Spike carefully uncurled himself. He rolled forward onto his front side, and stood on all fours.

I'm in Rarity's bedroom. I'm pretty sure of it. Nopony else is here. And...if last night was just some crazy dream, I sure dreamed a whole lot of it.

I think I know the answer...to what I'm doing in Rarity's bed.

Spike noticed the clock on Rarity's bedside table. The sun wasn't up earlier than usual. Sunrise was right on time, just like any other day.

The little dragon thought, what I don't know is what I'm doing still alive. Why either of us are.

He heard a distant knocking from somewhere below.

The pale unicorn's eyelids fluttered.

"I'll get that," Spike said. "I've always been an early riser."

"Mmm," Rarity said, her voice melliflous even while making a wordless sound, that from most other ponies would have been a grunt.

The things we learn about other ponies, Spike thought, when we're in...new situations with them.

Spike got out of bed and padded downstairs.

***

When the front door of Carousel Boutique opened, Spike discovered a gray pegasus mare, with a blonde tail and mane. One of her eyes looked directly at him. The other eye...wandered.

"Hello," Spike said. "I...came over early to check on Rarity. To say goodbye one last time. Nothing weird."

Derpy smiled. "You're a bad liar, Spike. But don't worry. I can play dumb. I won't tell anypony. Anycreature."

"What?"

Derpy's mouth pulled a skimpy newspaper from her saddlebags, and gave it to Spike. "I'm one of the ponies going around to spread the news...the news everycreature should hear. It's much bigger than whatever little thing you and Rarity might have done." Derpy winked.

Spike glanced down at the newspaper.

Foal Free Press Special Edition

End of World Cancelled

"Team Twilight Sparkle" discovers cure for world-destroying magical unravelling

In the small hours of Friendsday morning, bold scientists and old-fashioned mages, including Princess Sparkle, Lemon Hearts, Star Swirl (only recently rescued from Limbo), Princess Luna, Professors Moon Dancer and Moon Unit, and several others, uncovered the secret to the weakening and disappearance of the fundamental magics that hold the world together.

The end of the world has been CANCELLED, PERMANENTLY.

Spike's mouth fell open. "What does this even mean?"

Derpy giggled. "You have your life back. And Rarity does too. We all do. What that means...you'll have to decide that for yourself. Separately, or together."

Derpy's wings unfolded. "I have a lot of other ponies to tell. See ya later." She rose into the air and flew away.

Spike carried the newspaper back into the boutique. He closed and locked the door, walked across the clothing boutique's showroom and up the stairs. He padded down the hall and through the open doorway into Rarity's bedroom.

Rarity was awake, sitting up in bed. Spike passed her the paper.

She read the front page, and leafed through the rest of the thin, single-folded newspaper...really, almost a pamphlet. Finally she asked, "Is this really true?"

Spike glanced over at Rarity's bedside clock. He gestured at the sunlit window, then at the newsprint. "I don't think ponies would lie to us about it or try to trick us. I think it's true. Twilight and her team saved the day. I mean, saved the world. Today, and tomorrow, and all the days to come."

Rarity nodded. "What an...unexpected circumstance." She eyed Spike thoughtfully. "Did Twilight know where you were headed, before you came here?"

Spike shook his head. "I just told her I'd be out late, maybe all night. She...she didn't seem to really need me around, these last few days. There were already so many ponies crowded into her lab and the castle basement. And...she seemed to feel so guilty. Like she was sure she'd already failed. When I said I wanted to go out, she was silent for a moment, and then she said, 'Sure, Spike. You deserve to play and have fun for once in your life. Go. Go now.' And she pushed me out the door."

"Mmmm. Spike, when I said you might as well come in out of the cold, I honestly thought there wouldn't be any consequences. I thought there wouldn't be TIME for any consequences. I thought, we'd go out with cuddles..."

Spike grinned. "Not with a bang?"

She shook her head, but with a sly smile. "I wasn't expecting a bang. I didn't think we'd get around to that. I didn't think the universe would let us get all the way there. I didn't think it would be allowed."

Spike waggled his wings. "I'm not so young as I used to be, anymore. I'm not a baby. As you should know."

Rarity took a deep breath. "None of us are as young as we used to be. Nocreature is. Do you know how old I am, Spike?"

Spike chuckled. "Of course. Whatever age a mare is most beautiful at, that's how old you are. Don't you think I know anything about you at all?"

Rarity spoke a number.

Spike blinked. "Oh. Well, you're still the same age that I said." He stepped forward and nuzzled Rarity's face, as she nuzzled him back.

"Spike?" Rarity said.

"Yes, darling?"

"It would be better...ponies might not understand, what you and I did last night. It would be better if we simply pretended that it didn't happen."

Spike pulled back slightly. "Are you ashamed of me, Rarity? Is that what you're telling me?"

"Never!" More softly, Rarity added, "I'm not ashamed of you in the least. I'm only ashamed of myself."

"Of yourself? But what have you ever done wrong?"

Rarity's lips screwed up a bit. "I'm a cradle robber, Spike. I thought no harm would ever come of it, on the last night of the world. But--"

Spike said, "I love you!"

"And I love you. And that's why I need to ask you to leave as soon as you can...as soon as you can sneak home. Because if ponies know you and I...well...some of them will put the worst face on it that they can think of. Now go. I'm sorry, Spike."

"Sorry for what?" Spike asked, as Rarity got up and gently pushed him towards the bedroom doorway.

She ushered him down the stairs, across the showroom, and to the front door. "It's best that you use the front door," she said, "In case anypony sees you. Act as if you have nothing to hide. As if you might have simply stopped by to make a brief morning visit, for whatever reason. For some kind of miscellaneous Bearer business, perhaps."

"But I shouldn't HAVE to hide...what happened. Last night."

"Oh, you poor innocent dear. But you do indeed need to hide what happened, for both our sakes. I am so sorry." Rarity's horn glowed as she opened the door, pushed Spike outside, and locked the door behind him.

Confused, Spike looked around. He saw an earth pony stumbling down the street, squinting and holding his head like he was half drunk, half hung over. Spike heard wingbeats above him, looked up, and saw a roan-colored pegasus messenger drop a string-wrapped newspaper on his head. Spike said, "I know. We're going to live." The pegasus nodded, and continued on his rounds.

Holding the newspaper, Spike retraced in reverse his route of last night, trodding towards the Castle of Friendship. Along the way, a door opened and a stallion came out. "What's going on?" he asked.

"We're going to live," Spike said. He held out the newspaper, put it between the stallion's lips. "The world is saved."

Spike glanced back just long enough to see the stallion drop the paper and start reading. After that, Spike forgot about him.

Like a creature struck numb, Spike walked up to the Castle of Friendship, opened the front door, and went inside. Not knowing what else to do, he went to the kitchen, where he heated up a griddle and started mixing batter.

When the scent of fresh pancakes wafted through much of the castle, Twilight shuffled into the room. "Morning, Spike. You know the world is saved, right?"

"A pegasus courier told me. I think probably everycreature knows by now. There's even a special edition of the 'Foal Free Press.'"

Twilight nodded. "I am SO TIRED. I think I'm too tired even to sleep. I napped for a few hours, but then I felt really hungry. So here I am."

Spike's spatula flipped up a pancake onto a plate, which he slid down the kitchen table towards Twilight. Twilight levitated a little bottle of syrup to drench it. She floated forks and knives out of a drawer, setting the table for two.

Spike could have told her not to bother, but he didn't. He was tired enough himself. He took a second pancake and sat down across from Twilight.

"So," Twilight said between bites of pancake, "last night was...quite a night."

Spike grinned weakly. "It sure was."

"Yes," Twilight agreed. "It was the kind of night when a creature might try absolutely anything. Because if it didn't work out, or it turned out to be a bad idea...it's not like you'd feel bad about it the next day. I think if it wasn't for that, Lemon Hearts never would have tried...what she did. The key to unlocking our disaster's little puzzle. The key to saving the world."

Spike chewed tiredly.

"Also," Twilight added, "I don't know what the situation is between you and Rarity now. I know she cares about you...but a pony her age and somecreature your age? I mean, if it wasn't for 'learn at your own speed' correspondence school and experience credits, you'd be a high school freshpony. MAYBE a sophomore."

Partway through that sentence, Spike spat his mouthful of pancake all over the table. Weakly, he said, "You know? About what happened?"

Twilight said, "As an alicorn with a full earth pony's abilities, I have a very good nose. I can smell what she and you were doing last night. Don't worry, very few ponies know her as well as I do, to recognize...her special scent, from when she...well. I don't think other creatures would notice with whom and how you'd you been mourning the world's last night with. Everypony is really distracted right now anyway."

Spike blushed.

Twilight blushed too. "And I think it's very understandable, to have feelings like that for Rarity. To, well..." Twilight said softly, "act on them. I can completely understand what that's like."

Spike stared. "What are you trying to tell me here? Are you saying...are you trying to say...?"

"I could hardly be expected to have told you. I just thought, you were such a little dragon. I didn't think you needed to know."

"So it was a while ago."

Twilight nodded. "Yes. One night I was missing everyone in Canterlot, and Rarity tried to comfort me, and one thing led to another...but you shouldn't feel bad about it! It's not like THAT."

"It's not like WHAT?"

"I'm not jealous. I can't blame you. I especially can't blame you for wanting to do...THAT...at least once in your life, on the last night of the world. And you did pick a very kind and loving pony to do it with." Twilight smiled, her eyes looking upwards briefly as she inwardly reminisced. "She really is a wonderful mare."

At first Spike said nothing, but his face seemed confused. "What are you trying to say? Why did you say you're not jealous?"

"Of course I'm not."

"But why WOULD you be jealous? If you had any right to be jealous, Rarity never would have..." Spike's claws rubbed his face. "When was the last time you and she..."

Twilight snorted. "At least a year ago. She and I...we're not really right for each other in that way. When she and I...maybe more than anything I was just missing Celestia."

"What?! What does Celestia have to do with it? I can't believe Celestia would ever...DID you and Celestia?"

Twilight smiled, her cheeks dimpling. "Of course not. Celestia would never. She was more like a mother, and my teacher since I was a little foal. But Rarity was a different matter. She's as pretty as Celestia, in her own way, but...well. Maybe it's because ever since I was a little foal, I got so used to acting familiar with the most intimidatingly beautiful pony in Equestria. When I was little, I used to climb all over Celestia like a kitten with her mother. In an odd way, I think I'm the only pony in Ponyville who didn't find Rarity scary and unapproachable."

"You. You flirted with Rarity. You."

Twilight giggled. "I didn't mean to. Maybe part of me did mean to, but I wan't consciously aware of it. I just thought I was crying on a friend's shoulder."

Spike shook his head. "We are just bucking unbelievable, you and I. We're more shameless than a pair of Diamond Dogs."

Twilight blew a raspberry. "No, I know you better than that. I think you're just very sweet and lovable. Even Rarity couldn't say no to either of us, at least when she finally had a good enough excuse. So she let herself be free to do what she really wanted to, even though it might be improper."

Spike took a deep breath. "So. Rarity and me."

Twilight nodded. "You might want to go take a shower, just to make sure no one else notices her scent on you."

Spike got up, and plodded to a bathroom.

***

When Spike returned to the kitchen, he found Twilight sleeping under the table. He laughed. The dragonling thought about young Twilight cuddling up with Celestia like a kitten, and he joined his sister on the floor, lying down back to back. He was so tired he didn't want to walk upstairs. Also, after so many nights spent in a basket at the foot of her bed, her snoring still helped him sleep better.

***

For the rest of that day and the following night, Spike didn't see Rarity. He made a small start at cleaning up the castle labs, but not too much or too quickly. The researchers only let him clean a little bit at a time, because they wanted to document everything that might be scientifically or practically useful. They also wanted to carefully check every single object and experiment first, to make sure it wouldn't blow up in his face when he touched it, or cause any other problems.

Later that week, Twilight and her five best pony friends in Ponyville met in their special Throne Room around the Cutie Map. Applejack brought snacks from Apple Acres, and told Spike to take a rest for once.

"So," Applejack said. "This week was really somethin', wasn't it?"

The other ponies nodded, mostly silent. They still hadn't fully recovered, after weeks of expecting the end of the world.

Of course, much of the everyday Bearer work had lately passed to a younger and more species-diverse group of creatures at the nearby School of Friendship. The former Bearers still liked to get together and talk about things, though. Today their chatting was more about minor everyday goings-on at the School, and the ponies' teaching roles there. Other gossip found its way into the conversation too.

Pinkie blurted out, "Rarity! Is it true you're still the most eligible mare in Ponyville? Because I heard a rumor that you are. Is it true that you're afraid if you ever pick a special somepony, you'll break everypony else's heart?"

Rarity tittered. "I'm simply so busy with other activities. It's not so much my teaching work, as my fashion design, and supervising my chain of dress shops. Even though the Manehattan shop is still quite new, I already have ponies clamoring for a 'Rarity for You' in Trottingham. And that town is quite the market. It sees a lot of visitors from the kingdoms of Stirrup."

"Of course," Twilight said. "Nopony would want to tell you not to work on your business. I know it's important to you." Twilight glanced at Fluttershy. "Speaking of somepony's work, Fluttershy, I wonder how your newest animals are doing?"

***

When everypony else had left, only Twilight, Spike, and Rarity were left sitting around the Cutie Map.

Rarity glanced back and forth between Twilight and Spike, and waited.

Twilight spoke up. "Rarity? I know what you and Spike did, the night you thought the world was ending. And I don't blame either of you. I'm just glad you were there to comfort each other. I think the world of both of you."

Rarity gave Spike a surprised look.

"Spike didn't tell me. I just...well...I know the two of you very well. It isn't his fault. It's nocreature's fault. And I haven't told anycreature, and I never will. It's something that belongs to the two of you."

After a moment, Rarity remarked, "You're a good friend, Twilight. And a good sister to Spike, I should think."

Spike nodded. "She really is the best."

"But that still leaves the question of what to do next."

Spike's eyebrows shot up. "Do you mean there's a choice? Do you mean...is it possible..."

Rarity shook her head. "I used to be a Bearer. Now I'm mostly an EX-Bearer. It was a great honor, what I used to be...but losing that role comes with a certain freedom, doesn't it?"

Spike looked confused.

"Now that I'm no longer a Bearer, I have the freedom to go anywhere, do anything. So many options, so many choices."

Spike nodded.

"And I'm sorry, Spike, but I can't tell you where I'll be going, or exactly what I'll be doing. This way is for the best."

"But...I'll get to see you again, right? I mean...you aren't just leaving--"

"Leaving is exactly what I'm doing. If I ever come back, it will be a long, long time from now, when both of us have had plenty of time for our feelings to change. Don't wait for me, Spike. This old mare isn't worth it. I'm merely a cradle robber, who used you as a source of comfort in a time of desperation."

"But we're more to each other than that!"

Rarity looked at him sadly. "We WERE very good friends, or so I thought. But maybe now I've ruined that. Or maybe we can be very good friends again, someday. But if we're ever to have that, and ONLY that, I must go.

"Spike, please know that I'm sorry. But I've made up my mind, for very good reasons."

Rarity stood up and left. Twilight put a forehoof on Spike's chest, both comforting the young dragon and discouraging him from following.

***

The next time Spike saw the Carousel Boutique, it had a "For Sale" sign in front of it, and Rarity was already gone.

Addendum

Just in case anyone didn't already know, a 'romantic' relationship between someone about thirteen or fourteen years old, or even a few years older, and an adult is unhealthy and a bad idea. Our world's age of consent laws exist for a reason.

Comments ( 2 )

:moustache: You're back...
:duck: Yes Precious Scales, I realized you're only 3 years younger then I. We need to talk.
:pinkiegasp: Spike! With the DNA test results we have with 99,99% proof you are the Father!
:moustache: Who's the Mom?
:twilightoops: Spike!
:moustache: You? No way!
:rainbowlaugh: You Leather headed smoking lizard . . .
:flutterrage: Discord stop laughing Mister!
:raritystarry: Spike! We really need to talk... Now!
:pinkiehappy: 1 and a 2 and a 3 scaley fuzz balls 4 and a 5, and a six cute baby Dracony foals
:moustache: Can't hide that can you?
:facehoof: Not when they burned down the maternity ward and day care... White fur & scaled bellies
:moustache: It's good to be the KING!
:trollestia: Here's the edited version "Do you? Do you? You're done! Now Kiss" I know I know the barn door after the fire...
:ajsmug: Tell me about it.
:duck: Too late for a Honeymoon?
:moustache: Just in time for diaper changing

At least turning 18 means one is a legal adult

Login or register to comment