• Published 2nd Jan 2024
  • 579 Views, 20 Comments

All Our Lives - Sora21



To think that one small meeting could not only set things in motion for the future. But would be the initial spark for a strong friendship.

  • ...
0
 20
 579

Chapter 2: First Day of School

“Saddlebag?”

“Check!”

“School supplies?”

“Check!”

“Adorable little filly excited for her first day of school?” said Argyle as he lifted his daughter onto his back.

“Check!” giggled Sunny as she hugged her father’s neck.

The pair then galloped about as they laughed and had fun before Sunny let out a cute yawn. Argyle then began to head upstairs as he placed his daughter into bed, knowing that tomorrow would be the start of her first day of school.

“How’s my Sunny Bunny doing? You ready for your first day of school?”

“Yeah. I can’t wait to meet and make new friends!” said the filly as the thought of meeting new ponies made her eyes sparkle.

“That’s my girl,” said the older earth pony as he rubbed her head.

“Dad. Can you tell me a story?”

“What kind?”

“About one of the unicorns, pegasus, and earth ponies working together in harmony,” asked Sunny with the most innocent and cute expression, as nobody could say no to that.

“Alright,” said Argyle as he decided to honor his daughter’s wish and cleared his throat. “Once upon a time, many, many moons ago, in ancient Equestria, there lived a very special—”


The morning came as the sun rose over the small town, signaling the start of a new day. Upstairs at the lighthouse, a cute snoring was heard as it belonged to the small filly under her covers. The alarm beside her went off as a hoof was shown reaching out from under the covers and shutting it off. A few moments later, Sunny stood up from her bed and stretched her limbs before approaching the small mirror in her room as she gasped upon seeing her reflection.

“Dad!” shouted the small filly.

“What’s the matter, Sunny Bunny?”

“It happened again!” said the small filly as she pointed to her mane.

Every time it happened. Every time she looked in the mirror, her mane was all messed up and frizz. It annoyed the small filly that she constantly woke up with bed hair, as it was a pain to get it all straightened out.

“Oh, lighten, Sunny Bunny. It just means I get to spend more time with you before you leave for the day,” smiled the filly’s father. He didn’t mind fixing his daughter’s mane as he considered it bonding time.

“I’ll get the brush. But I hope it doesn’t continue,” stated Sunny as she hoped that when she got older, she still wouldn’t have to deal with the constant mess up of her mane when she awoke every day.

After acquiring the brush, Argyle got to work on fixing his daughter’s mane. He finished it with several kisses to Sunny, and she giggled. From there, the pair went down for some breakfast before heading out to the door and began to head toward the schoolhouse, where other small colts and fillies were being dropped off by their parents.

“Now, you remember what I taught you, Sunny,” said the older earth pony as he looked at his daughter.

“Greet everyone with a smile. And most importantly, have fun meeting new ponies,” recited the filly.

“That’s my little girl. Now go, I’ll see you later.”

“Bye, Dad!” said Sunny as she waved goodbye to her father before trotting off toward the entrance.

The school bell rang as the colts and fillies all stood at their desks as the teacher came in. She was a middle-aged mare as she didn't seem much older than the majority of most of the citizens living in Maritime Bay.

“Alright, class. Settle down, my name is Ms. Sweetwater. And I'll be your teacher for the school year.” stated the mare as she got the whole class to quiet down. “Now then, why don't we begin by introducing ourselves to the rest of our classmates?”

One by one, the teacher had each filly and colt come to the front and say their name and something interesting about them.

“Sunny! You're the last one.”

The orange filly made her way to the front of her class as she looked at them. She felt a tad bit nervous but remembered her father always saying to be brave and take a deep breath in situations like this. So the filly did what her father said and took a deep breath before speaking.

“Hi, every pony! My name is Sunny Starscout, and I love meeting new ponies and making new friends!” stated the mare as she got a warm round of stomping hooves from her classmates as they enjoyed her little introduction.

“Very nice, Ms. Starscout,” said Ms. Sweetwater as she ushered the little filly to her desk. “Now then, why don’t we start with a little history lesson? Who can tell me what life was like back in the olden days of Equestria? Anyone?”

The entire class stared at their teacher before a hoof was raised.

“Yes, Sunny?”

“Back in the olden days, earth ponies, pegasus, and unicorns all lived together in harmony. They worked together and spread the magic of friendship!” said the filly with an energetic smile.

Soon, a burst of laughter broke out from the other ponies as it made Sunny confused. The little filly didn’t understand why every other pony laughed before the teacher got their attention.

“Settle down, settle down, everypony!” said Ms. Sweetwater as the laughing ceased. “Ms. Starscout, what were you saying?”

“That all three pony kinds were friends. And they used their magic to make Equestria a better place.”

Once again, small cackles from the other ponies were heard, confusing Sunny even more.

“What an impressive imagination, Ms. Starscout,” said the teacher.

“Imagination? But it's true!” stated Sunny. “My dad tells me stories that all three ponykind used to live together.”

“Let’s stick to facts instead of fairytales, Ms. Starscout, okay?”

“But, but, but-“ stuttered Sunny as the teacher just patted her head and disregarded her claim.

“Now, who can tell me what actually happened?”

“I can!” said a colt as he was shown putting his hoof into the air. “The pegasus and unicorns invaded the earth ponies and tried to take them out using their weird laser zaps and flying powers. However, the earth ponies managed to fend them off and defeat them. And ever since then, earth ponies have always stood ready to fight them if they ever show their face again.”

“Correct, Sprout!” said the teacher as she placed a golden star sticker on a chart with his name on it.

“And who can tell me what a unicorn uses their horn for?”

“To read out minds and fire death lasers at us,” said another colt as he raised his hoof.

“Correct. And how do we defend against it?”

“By protecting our head so they can’t read our thoughts,” said a filly.

“Excellent!” said Ms. Sweetwater as she placed two stickers for the respective students to answer her questions correctly.

“But that’s not true!” said Sunny. “Everypony used to be friends!”

“Sunny! No more outbursts in class, alright!” said the older mare as she had enough of Sunny’s charades.

“B-b-but I…”

“No more! Less I need to speak with your parents!” threatened the mare as it got the filly to make herself smaller and fold her ears.

The mare went to the chart, and instead of a golden sticker next to Sunny’s, she put a disappointed sticker next to her name. The filly saw it as it hurt her to see she was already off to a bad start and made her teacher angry with her; sitting behind the little filly was the mare’s best friend, and watching the teacher berate Sunny made him conflicted. He wanted to help, but he also didn’t want to get in trouble as well.


By lunchtime, most of the class was sitting among their peers and talking. Sunny sat alone at a table with some of her classmates passing by while making some sneering comments about how she acted with their teacher. The little orange filly tried not to cry less she gave more ammunition for her classmates to use against her, but it was hard. She didn’t mean to get in trouble; it’s just that she felt everything Ms. Sweetwater said, along with her classmates, went against everything her father had taught her.

“Need some company?” asked Hitch as he sat on his hind next to Sunny.

The filly didn’t say anything and just had her head down while Hitch patted her back to show his support.

“I’m sure Ms. Sweetwater will forget what happened,” said the small colt, trying to be optimistic for his friend.

“I didn’t mean to cause trouble. But what she was saying was not true.”

“And how do you know?” asked the colt as he took a bite of an apple.

“Because my dad always told me stories about how all three pony kinds worked together. United in harmony and never turned their back on each other. You believe me, right?” asked Sunny to her friend.

“Um…” responded Hitch as he didn’t know how to answer that.

On one hoof, he’d wanted to believe Sunny, given they were friends. But on the other hand, what she said went against everything he had ever heard or read about unicorns and pegasus. The colt was at a crossroads as he struggled with his ideals.

“You believe me, right, Hitch?” asked Sunny.

“Uh, I mean, if… you want me to,” said the colt while rubbing the back of his head nervously, not sure how to properly respond to that question.

Sunny sighed sadly as she knew Hitch was just saying that because he didn’t want to disappoint her. She admired that he was willing to go along with most of the stuff she wanted to do, but it felt like an excuse not to make her angry at him. The filly continued to feel sad as a pair of other ponies passed by them; they saw Sunny as they snickered a bit before looking over at Hitch and waving at him, which he returned. The two fillies made cute sounds upon the colt, waving back at them before going about.

“He’s cute,” said one of the fillies.

“I don’t get why he hangs with her,” responded the other as they left.

Sunny barely heard what the two ponies were talking about, as the last one made her feel even more depressed. She looked at the colt sitting next to him, who finished his snack, as she felt like she may be damaging Hitch’s reputation by associating himself with her. She could handle being made fun of, but she didn’t want her friend to also suffer from her humiliation by being near her.


The rest of the school day went by as during arts and crafts, each pony was to either make or draw something they wanted to be. When the teacher came to check on her students, she was amazed by what the small ponies were able to make. For Hitch, he made a small star out of clay as he informed the mare that he wanted to one day become sheriff due to how the pony saved his grandma from being crushed by a crate of falling fruit.
“Do you think I can become that?” asked Hitch.

“As long as you put your mind to it, Hitch. There’s nothing you can’t do,” said Ms. Sweetwater as she offered advice and support to the colt on chasing his dream. She smiled at him before trotting over to Sunny. “And what do you have, Ms. Starscout?”

Sunny wiped her forehead as she showed off what she made. The little orange filly showed a drawing with an earth pony, unicorn, and pegasus gathered in a circle as a rainbow was drawn over them to show their unity.

“And what is this?” asked the teacher with some criticism in her tone.

“I drew a picture of what I want to be. And that’s meet pegasus and unicorns and one day, we all come together to share and spread unity and friendship!” said Sunny as her eyes beamed with wonder after talking about her lifelong dream.

“I asked you to show me something that’s realistic. Not make-believe!” stated the teacher as she didn’t find Sunny’s delusion of a dream to be interesting.

“But… this is real,” said the little filly.

“This! It is but a childish dream. Not a realistic vision. I’m sorry, Ms. Starscout,” said the teacher as she walked away in disappointment while Sunny put her drawing and head down.

The filly looked to see another disappointment sticker attached to her name as it hurt. She planted her face on the table as Hitch approached her and patted her back to make her feel better. And so it repeated throughout the day as anytime Sunny tried to tell her teacher about the stories her father told her, the mare shut her down and gave a disapproving look followed by another bad sticker. All of it started to affect Sunny as she started to feel slightly attacked, all while Hitch just watched. The colt wanted to help his friend, but what could he do? He didn’t want to suffer his teacher’s wrath, but more importantly, he was conflicted about Sunny’s stories about how all three tribes of ponies used to be friends when he’d been engrained that it was the opposite.

“Take care, ponies!” said Ms. Sweetwater as her class began to leave. “Wait a moment, Ms. Starscout. I want to talk to you.”

Sunny was worried as she approached her teacher; looking on from the school’s entrance was Hitch as he hoped their teacher wouldn’t be too hard on her. Sunny approached her teacher as the mare had a stern expression on her face.

“Yes?” said the filly in a timid tone.

“Let me make one thing clear. Today is to be the only day this happens.”

Sunny gave a confused look at her teacher.

“This little facade that you have. All the fairytales that your father had implemented into your mind. That will not be tolerated in my class!” stated the mare as she stomped her hoof. “I have spent more moons teaching than you have been trotting. And I will not have my reputation nor my authority questioned by a filly who chooses to live in some fantasy world simply because her father tells stories. Perception is reality. And the reality is that unicorns and pegasus are our enemies! No exception!”

“But…”

“No exceptions! Perception is reality!” stated the mare as she scowled at the small filly before her. “No more in my class. Am I clear?”

Sunny felt afraid of her teacher as the small filly looked at the mare and nervously nodded.

“Good. Now… have a nice day, Sunny Starscout. I’ll see you in class tomorrow, " said Ms. Sweetwater, dismissing the filly.

Sunny’s father saw her daughter exiting her school, and he could tell by her expression something was up.

“How was school?” asked Argyle as he walked alongside his daughter.

The filly kept her mouth shut as she feared what her father might say or do if he found out how the teacher didn’t like her constantly speaking out and trying to push the idea that all ponies used to live together.

“What’s the matter, Sunny?”

“My teacher hates me.”

“Oh. Why’s that?” asked the older earth pony.

“Because she kept saying that pegasus and unicorns are our enemies and that earth ponies don’t get along with them. Even though that’s not true, she says all the stories you tell me are make-believe.” said the small filly as she kept her head down.

“Did she now?” said Argyle with a smile as he continued to trot alongside his child. “What else did she say?”

“That I should stop trying to tell others that I’m right because I’m not.”

“I see,” said Argyle, looking forward with a smile. “Sunny, do you know what double thinking is?”

The filly looked at her father and shook her head.

“It’s having two opposing beliefs at once and believing both are true,” explained the earth pony to his daughter as they walked through town and to their home. “To deliberately believe in lies while knowing they’re false. Examples of this in everyday life include ponies needing to feel pretty, happy, famous, or even accepted.”

“Huh?” said Sunny, not fully understanding what her father was saying.

“Let me ask you this? What does assimilate mean?”

“It means… to take something in,” answered the little pony.

“Good. And what does ubiquitous mean?”

“Uh…”

“It means: everywhere all the time. So… what is ubiquitous assimilation?” asked Argyle to his daughter.

“Always… absorbing everything everywhere… all the time?” said Sunny, trying to use the clues her father told her to make an educated guess on what the phrase meant.

“That’s my girl. Well done,” smiled the earth pony as he hugged his daughter. “How can you imagine anything if the images are always provided for you? For the rest of our lives, the powers that be are hard at work, trying to dumb us. To defend ourselves and fight against assimulating this dullness into our thought processes. In turn, we must learn to read in order to stimulate our own thoughts and imagination to cultivate our own consciousness. Our own belief systems. We all need these skills to defend, to preserve our own minds.”

“Dad… what does that mean?” asked Sunny as she didn’t have a clue as to what her father was talking about.

“To put it plainly, Sunny Bunny. Don’t let what others say or think sway you from what you believe. If you believe in your ideals, you must stand for them. Who cares if you’re the only one who believes in it? The important thing is that you do. The only real mistake you can make is giving up. So don’t ever let anypony else get you down or downplay your ideals. Okay?”

“Okay, Dad,” said Sunny as she smiled at her father and gave him another warm embrace which he returned.

“And for the sake of your teacher, don’t worry about her. Just play along with her teachings, but just know… in time, they’ll start to listen to you.”

“I will, Dad,” smiled Sunny.

“Now remember, you have to keep this a secret, or the magic won’t work,” said Sunny’s father as he nudged his daughter, who let out a chuckle. “Promise?”

“Promise,” confirmed the small filly as the pair entered their home.

Comments ( 12 )

If I was a young colt at her first day of school, I would have stood up for her and given her a comforting hug.

That teacher was horrible. She was extremely unfriendly towards Sunny and could have handled it much better.

Great story. Cant wait to read more. Keep up the good work.
I love the way you tell a story, emotions, feelings and everything else. Its easy to get swept away.

Soon, a burst of laughter broke out from the other ponies as it made Sunny confused. The little filly didn’t understand why every other pony laughed before the teacher got their attention.

Oh boy don't you hate that when that happens

“Let’s stick to facts instead of fairytales, Ms. Starscout, okay?”

What the heck are you talking about Fairy Tail??

“Correct, Sprout!” said the teacher as she placed a golden star sticker on a chart with his name on it.

What are you freaking kidding me what do they get this information from anyway I'm assuming I know who but still it's so stupid

“I didn’t mean to cause trouble. But what she was saying was not true.”

Story of My Life 😕

“I asked you to show me something that’s realistic. Not make-believe!” stated the teacher as she didn’t find Sunny’s delusion of a dream to be interesting.

I'm really getting annoyed by this teacher 😡

“This little facade that you have. All the fairytales that your father had implemented into your mind. That will not be tolerated in my class!” stated the mare as she stomped her hoof. “I have spent more moons teaching than you have been trotting. And I will not have my reputation nor my authority questioned by a filly who chooses to live in some fantasy world simply because her father tells stories. Perception is reality. And the reality is that unicorns and pegasus are our enemies! No exception!”

Well then first day of school is pretty rough so it looks like Sunny was pretty excited for her first day and things were pretty well actually until she's told her story about unicorns Pegasus and her ponies living together in friendship and everything and the teacher did not take it too well in fact she was pretty rough on her and I felt like she was really mean to sunny and hitch really want to help her but of course he's just a kid that's not much he can do and apparently things got really bad when the teacher scold her for it like I said not the most grateful first day of school but her father Argyle cheer her up knowing for a fact that she still wants her to not people get the best of her and hopefully things will get better I guess we'll find out next time

Hope next chapter comes soon

Hope to read more from you.

Login or register to comment