• Published 28th Nov 2023
  • 541 Views, 17 Comments

The Ultimate Test - TheKing2001



During a surprise fit of depression, Sunset gets doubts about her school and comes up with the ultimate test for them.

  • ...
3
 17
 541

Chapter I


Sunset


I gave a sigh as I set my guitar down in it’s stand in the band room as the others gave me confused looks. It had just been two months since the Battle of the Bands but everything was still fresh in my mind.

Primarily the whole no offense comments. Depression was a bitch, mainly because I still sometimes had doubts about all this. Sure they said we were friends but they could always be lying. Right? No matter how many meds I take, (prescribed of course), I still feel they will leave me from time to time and it sucks.

“Ya alright sugarcube?” Applejack asked as she leaned against the piano in the corner and bit into an apple. Why we had a piano, I’ll never know. None of us play the piano except Rarity and she opts for the keytar more often than not.

“Yeah,” I lied as she raised an eyebrow slightly.

“Are you sure?” Applejack pressed as Rainbow looked over.

“She looks pretty sure to me but you are the Honesty Queen after all,” Rainbow answered as she tossed us all water bottles. Applejack caught it with her spare hand and I gave an impressed look her way.

“I’m sure,” I insisted and internally cursed myself for lying. Especially to them. “It’s just weird to have the school love me after hating me for so long.”

Applejack relaxed her suspicious gaze as I sighed in relief. She could be intimidating when she wanted to be, especially when she felt she was being lied to. Lying to Applejack wasn’t an easy task I’ve heard from Rainbow and Apple Bloom.

Apple Bloom and her two little terrors that were Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were surprisingly nice girls. We got along pretty well, especially me and Scootaloo considering I often played soccer with her and Rainbow.

“I mean, at least they like you now darling,” Rarity offered with a smile. “Heck, even Trixie is nice to you and that in itself is an achievement.”

“For real,” Rainbow chimed in as she smirked at me. “And Trixie respects practically no body except herself and peanut butter crackers.”

“Uh huh,” I mused and folded my arms. It had been pretty surprising when Trixie and her two band mates had apologized for trapping us under the stage but it had been the Dazzlings mind control magic fucking with their heads.

“They have turned around a lot, haven’t they?” Fluttershy asked softly as I nodded. Trixie and Gilda had been the worst to me after the Fall Formal. Not entirely sure what happened to Gilda but I haven’t seen her recently.

“Yeah. Now enough of this sad mushy talk!” Rainbow exclaimed as I gave a genuine smile. “Who’s hosting the sleep over today?”

“Ah am,” Applejack raised a hand. “But my sister and her friends are having one of their own so we gotta be a bit tamer than usual. Dash, Ah’m lookin at ya. No cards against humanity or any dirty dares that involves us runnin through Pinkies house in our bras and underwear.”

We all gave chuckles as Fluttershy and Rarity turned red. Rainbow gave a quiet curse as she tossed the deck of cards back into her bag and sighed.

I picked up my bag as gears started to turn in my head. If I was having doubts about my classmates, I’d just give them a test. The ultimate test. But first, I’d need help.


I stared at the ceiling as I laid in my sleeping bag, listening to the quiet snoring of Pinkie and the others. It had been a pretty good evening, full of games, pop and random snacks that Pinkie had procured from her suitcase she brought.

Her emergency party snack kit as she fondly called it. I inhaled quietly and slipped out of my sleeping bag. I verified everyone was asleep as I stepped over Fluttershy hugging a stuffed alligator and inched my way to the door, wincing at the squeaking sound it made.

I looked back to verify they were still asleep and I slipped out the door, working my way down the hall as quiet laughter came from the youngest Apples room. I gave a knock and listened to the three scramble to their beds with a grin.

“It’s just me,” I called out softly as Apple Bloom cracked open the door.

“What’s the password?”

I rolled my eyes as Bloom narrowed her own.

“I’ve got a lot of in cider information,” I answered flatly as the door opened wider and they yanked me inside and shut the door behind me. “Woah, you girls waste no time.”

“Not really,” Scootaloo chuckled as she looked over from the TV she sat in front of with an Xbox controller in her hands. “What’s up Sunset?”

“I need your girls help with something.”

“Name it,” Apple Bloom said instantly and patted the bed next to her and I sat next to her and Sweetie Belle.

“So you girls know about the whole school liking me now, right?”

“Of course!” Sweetie Belle chirped. “You’re cool!” I chuckled and rubbed her hair as she frowned.

“Thanks Sweets. But I’m not entirely sure if they would one hundred percent support me. Like they could betray me at any time,” I admitted and hugged myself as the three girls frowned.

“Depression?” Scootaloo asked in a surprisingly soft voice and I gave her a stunned look. “We overheard you on the phone once with your doctor about your prescription. We told nobody, don’t worry.”

“Ah know a thing or two about depression,” Apple Bloom admitted and gave Sweetie a look as the girl found the floor interesting. “So how do we fit into this picture?”

“I want you three to frame me. The four of us will start an account and only release secrets of classmates that will not damage their future,” I answered as they gave me stunned looks. “If they think it’s me, then I have my answer and I give up. If they don’t, then I come clean about the account and own up to it.”

“Can’t you just talk to them?” Sweetie Belle asked innocently. She had such an innocence about her that was infectious. Kinda like Fluttershys kindness or Derpy’s love of muffins.

“If I did, they might just lie,” I admitted and kicked my feet back and forth. “Especially if they know ahead of time.”

“She’s right,” Scootaloo said and looked up. “Actions speak louder than words. I don’t trust words, I trust actions of those around me.”

“Say we agree to help ya,” Apple Bloom lifted a finger. “Are we including our sisters as well?”

“Yes.”

“Woah now,” Scootaloo waved her hands and stared at me. “Even Dash? That seems a bit excessive, even for me.”

“I know. Trust me, it wasn’t an easy decision. But I need to know if the schools thinks I’m guilty that they would defend me and believe I’m innocent.”

“The ultimate test,” Sweetie Belle repeated and I nodded. “I hate you feel this way. You’re a nice person. Especially after how we refused to let you help us doing the musical showcase.”

“Hey,” I said and hugged her. “You had every right to refuse me back then and I’ve forgiven you girls. If anything, you all should be forgiving me for trying to force my way in the way I did.”

“Meh you’re fine,” Scootaloo said dismissively. “Won’t we get in trouble for this?”

“No you won’t,” I said instantly. “When I admit to this after my test, I already planned on leaving you three girls out of it. No one will know your names.”

“Ah ain’t sure Ah like ya goin down for this on ya own,” Apple Bloom frowned again as I smiled faintly.

“I’m a big girl. I can take care of myself.”

“Okay,” Scootaloo said after the three had a silent argument purely off looks. “But we don’t really like this idea.”

“I know.”

Apple Bloom spit onto her palm and held out her hand to the disgust of myself and Sweetie Belle.

“I’d rather not shake that hand,” I admitted sheepishly.

“Ah understand.”

Sweetie Belle held out her hand and I shook it.

Comments ( 17 )

We're gonna need a lot of body bags once this is over methinks. None of these "tests" ever end with everyone still alive at the end. And even calling them a test is an insult to actual education.

This is the second story that’s doing this.

11761068
Why did you put quotes around tests?

Comment posted by BiggerNate91 deleted Nov 28th, 2023
Comment posted by Jaggu431 deleted Nov 28th, 2023

11761194
I know there was a short story that just had Sunset telling the rainbooms it was her but it hasn't been updated in a good while. I don't even remember the name.

Oohh, interesting twist on Anon-A-Miss. I wonder how they'll do it.

“For real,” Rainbow chimed in as she smirked at me. “And Trixie respects practically no body except herself and peanut butter crackers.”

This is the chapter's highlight, nothing can top it!

11761206
You’re welcome

11761072
Because this is not a test. This is Sunset being a deranged lunatic and trying to justify it as some kind of test. As if she has any right to be doing something like this.

11761639
Technically a test doesn't have to be anything school related so your complaint makes no sense therefore I'm not listening to it.

11761639
Ohh. I understand your point. It does seem like her test is ridiculous.

11761643
Then I'll just shut comments off lol cause you two are quite frankly annoying me

Login or register to comment