• Published 30th Sep 2012
  • 12,772 Views, 649 Comments

Spike's Nameless Brother - Cold Spike



When a strange creature wonders onto Applejack's Farm he gets caught up in the town of Ponyville.

  • ...
27
 649
 12,772

Chapter 14: Unity

A changeling, a minotaur and two dragons sat alone at a campfire, just on the outskirts of town. Their differences were put aside so all could focus on the strange artifacts laid before them. They had agreed to a unified friendship in an effort to discover the secret behind such trinkets. The largest of the group had agreed and accepted them far too quickly for their own liking, but no one was complaining.

Yet, anyway.

Spike stared at the silver coin that lay next to Shyfrost's amulet, on one side the picture of the sun and other the moon.

"So, your name is Steel Valor?"

"Yeah, and your name is Spike?'

"Yeah."

Shyfrost stared at both of them and sighed. "Can we please focus on these... things?" he asked, gesturing to the artifacts in question. The amulet, the crystal and now a coin had been brought together, but oddly enough they did nothing when they lost contact with their owners.

"Why are griffons so hostile towards us, anyway?" Spike spoke with just a slight hint of anger. He knew some history on griffons, but very few books mentioned relations with dragons, or dragons at all.

Shadow Mirror shrugged. "A lot of different races don't like each other. I suppose it's understandable to hate my race the most, but you would think two different races that specialize in flight would get along, right?"

Steel threw his comment in at that. "Griffons are often competitive, I believe that they see dragons as a threat."

"...That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard," Shyfrost replied.

"Well I'm not a griffon, was just saying..." His voice trailed off.

For a while, no one said anything, Spike felt oddly calm among the group of non-ponies, but he would probably have felt that way about any living creature when next to Shyfrost. It was at that moment that he noticed his friends anxious behavior, so a small idea popped into his head.

"How about we all talk about where we got our, um artifacts?" Spike suggested. "It could make it easier to figure out what they do." They all nodded, figuring it was the only way they could put any clue together.

Skyfrost decided to start. "Okay, I used to live in the Everfree forest, pretty sure it's where I was born, too, and one day I found my amulet. It always kind of brought me luck, but I always felt something more when it was close to me, like it was guiding me? Uh, I guess that sounds pretty dumb..."

Spike put his left claw on his shoulder and shook his head. "That's not dumb, dude," he smiled.

The minotaur spoke next. "My coin was a family heirloom. Well, actually my dad gave it to me one day. I don't actually know if it was passed down that much, but it's always brought me luck." He shrugged. “Not much else to it.”

"I don't think this is going to work," Shadow Mirror spoke up. "I think what matters is what they do, how we felt when they 'activated'. their origins are probably long dead anyway."

Shyfrost groaned. "But they only activate randomly, we just tried everything!" It was true, they had spent at least a few hours trying to replicate what had transpired but nothing else would occur. They all still felt the warmth from their artifacts, so they knew nothing was wrong, but they also knew that nothing would work anymore.

"Yeah, well-" Spike never got to finish his sentence, as he heard something new. "You guys hear that?"

Sure enough, there was the sound of travelers talking. As it got closer, it became clear that their pleasant discussion was actually more like angry bickering.

"And Ah told you that if you had just kept that scooter of yours outside-"

"How was I supposed to know that he didn't allow them in his store? And besides, he was giving Rover funny looks. That's not right!"

"Rover didn't mind! It wasn't about the principle, Scoots; it was about finding our dragons!"

"Whatever! It was still wrong of that... whatever he was."

"I think he was a minotaur..." Sweetie Belle's voice broke off when the three fillies and diamond dog came up the hill and spotted the group containing their friends.

"Shyfrost! Spike!" The fillies screamed in union and ran up, each one tackling the two in a bone-crunching hug.

"Uh, girls? Can you please get off me..." Spike asked, but knew it was pointless.

"Not a chance," Apple Bloom replied.

"Nope!" The unicorn squeaked out.

"Uh, hugs are for wusses..." Scootaloo protested faintly, but continued the embrace anyway. The other members of their party looking on in confusion, but then the diamond dog walked up. Shadow Mirror looked at him and then down to the artifacts, which were now glowing again.

"Here we go again!"

His voice was drowned out by the loud pulsating noise. Before anyone could respond, a bright light shined, blinding everyone. It only lasted for a moment, just like the other flashes before, and then died off. When it was over, each living creature felt calm and collective. Unbeknownst to each of them, they all pertained one small bit of information or understanding, but it was not enough to put pieces together on their own. Scootaloo, never being one to hold things in, couldn't help herself.

"Okay, what the hay was that about?!"

"Yeah, Ah feel kind of funny..."

"Hmm, my horn feels warm."

Spike, who had felt that flash before and was a bit more used to it, had recovered quicker. He then noticed something. "Wait! if you three are here, then where are your sisters and stuff?" The three fillies gave sheepish smiles in return but remained silent. "Well?" He asked more harshly.

It was Scootaloo who spoke up. "We had to find you two! So when our sisters and friends left to find you, we kind of ran off."

"By you- Never mind. It's not like we did much better..." Spike grumbled and trailed off.

"Did ya find any dragons?"

"Nope, and we missed the migration entirely."

"Oh, sorry about that, but now you can come home!" Sweetie Belle said brightly, but Shyfrost just shook his head.

"No, we need to figure out what these artifacts do, and apparently each of our new friends has one, including you're new friend..." Spike finally noticed him and he felt like screaming.

"Hey! You're a diamond dog, what are you three doing with him?"

Rover simply shrugged and bowed his head but said nothing.

"Spike! He's nice, okay?" Spike looked down upon Sweetie Belle, the miniature embodiment of the love of his life. Well, embodiment might be some what of an exaggeration; but if the young unicorn vouched for him, then obviously the dog couldn't be all bad.

"Alright, fine. I'm Spike!" He offered a claw.

"Rover, and yes I know of you two dragons from my, uh friends here."

"Cool, and what artifact did you have?" he asked, but Rover seemed confused.

"Artifact?" Shyfrost pepped up at this.

"Yeah, that well whatever just happened was a response from some object you own that came close to us, do you own anything special?"

He reached into his saddlebag and began to move around several things, did he own anything special? To him most of his possessions were junk, but there had always been something that he kept around all the years back with his pack. His paw came back from the bag gently clutching a silver colored dagger that was sheathed. "This feels warm...It's never felt like that before!" He offered it to Shyfrost and sure enough, it was warm to the touch.

The dragon nodded and placed it with the remaining artifacts. "Okay, we now have one amulet, one crystal, a coin and now a silver dagger. But we still don't know what they do! Anyone care to guess?" The frost dragon felt more flustered than ever, and the new fillies of the group furrowed their brows in concentration. The rest seemed to be at a loss, yet it was the unicorn who spoke up.

"Not sure why you're hanging out with these guys, no offense..." She muttered, after examining the dragon's companions. "But did anyone else feel like a voice in the back of their heads after that flash? Or is it just me?" They all gave guilty looks, shifting their eyes nervously.

Shadow Mirror figured he would throw in his two bits. "Well, I heard Queen Chrysalis. Like she was talking to me, but I couldn't hear what."

The unicorn tilted her head to the side. "Queen who? Was she all scratchy sounding and would she says things like all demanding and such?"

Shadow Mirror groaned. "That's her alright. Why, did you hear her too?" The crusaders, with the exception of the dragon, looked at each other.

"Well, ah think we all heard her say something but it was only one word. Right, girls?" They nodded and spoke in union.

"Peace!" "Come!" "Unity!" Then they all looked at each other in confusion.

"So we all heard different things, and how come we never heard of a queen and what this guy is?" Scootaloo bluntly stated while pointing at Shadow Mirror.

"Kid, I'm a changeling and we aren't exactly well known. So you three heard 'peace', and 'come' and 'unity'? That's weird..."

"Actually I heard unity too but it was from this deep sounding voice, way deep." Shyfrost admitted, it was at that point that Spike pipped up.

"I heard that too, same deep voice it was weird..."

"What about you two?" Shyfrost asked pointing to the two remaining.

"I heard my pack, couldn't understand them."

"Uh, I heard my family, but it seems that the fillies were the only one to understand anything." Valor admitted.

"Hmm, wait. One of you heard this queen, right Shadow Mirror?" He nodded. "Spike and I heard this loud deep voice, it sounded like a very loud dragon..." He looked over at Spike. "Right, that had to have been a dragon?"

"I guess so, he sounded..."

"Old?" Scootaloo suggested.

"Big?" Sweetie Belle squeaked out.

"No, 'important'; and I would guess that this queen is too." Shyfrost finished. "And this pack of yours, was it big?"

"Yes, we were part of the biggest and most-"

"Important clans?" Shyfrost finished. Rover nodded. "And what about you, Valor?"

The minotaur looked flustered. "What about me?"

"Is your family important?" Shyfrost demanded.

He shifted around nervously, which on his large physique it made it seem pretty obvious. "...Not really, what's it matter?"

"Because there might be a pattern, duh!" Spike spat out at him. The minotaur sighed and grumbled something out.

"What was that?"

"I'm...” Valor refused to make eye contact as he grumbled, “technically a prince of the Minotaur Alliance..."

Sweetie Belle jumped up. "Ohh, I met a prince? Rarity's gonna freak!" She began to bounce around, much to the annoyance of her friends and also the minotaur, who rolled his eyes.

"Sure, I'm a prince. I left, though. It was getting...unnerving."

"Well, you may have to go back!" Shyfrost declared.

Valor stood up quickly. "Forget it! I'm not running back to my dad just like that! And also, why?"

"Because, we all heard voices from important figures. I know you couldn't understand them, but maybe they know something!"

The minotaur smiled. "Great! Then let's start with what they heard, and not me!"

"But what if yours are the closest?"

"My pack is not far..." Rover admitted. Valor smiled and pointed to him with a wide, hammy smile on his face. Shyfrost rolled his eyes.

"Will they let us talk to them?" Spike asked. meanwhile the two remaining fillies were trying to calm down their unicorn friend but failing miserably.

"... Probably not." he admitted. Shyfrost then turned to Shadow Mirror.

"What about the queen? Will-"

"Not a filly's chance in Tartarus."

Spike smirked after seeing his friend's distress. "Well Prince, that just leaves you. And I know you want to find out about that coin..." he taunted.

"First off, I'm not that interested. Second off, what about meeting important dragons like you heard?"

This time it was Spike's turn to scoff. "We don't know any other dragons, we were raised by ponies!"

"Speak for yourself," Shyfrost muttered.

Valor shook his head and crossed his arms defiantly. "No deal. I came out here to adventure and get away from my family not to them!"

"Cutie Mark Crusaders, huddle!" Scootaloo declared. They quickly obliged; but Shyfrost, although a member, was too distraught to join.

"Do they do this all the time?" Shadow Mirror questioned Spike.

"Yep." They waited and after a couple minutes they broke it off but remained oddly silent. Sweetie Belle walked up to the newly dubbed prince and smiled with wide eyes.

"Please... will you help our friend?"

Valor scoffed, but the filly kept on smiling. Soon her two other friends joined in, trying to triple the smile. Tears welled up in their eyes as they kept it up. Sweetie's lower lip quivered slightly.

"You can't- what?" Here he made the fatal mistake of looking back down. Looking into their eyes he sighed, they seemed impossible to resist. Even though he really wanted to.

"Save the dragons, oh real nice idea... idiot." He sighed another time and finally gave in. "Fine, we can go." The fillies collapsed in a heap.

"You have no idea how much it hurts to do that!" Apple Bloom declared, rubbing her temples painfully.

"Okay, everp- uh, everybody. Are you all good with traveling to his... kingdom?" Shyfrost looked up at the minotaur to see if it was the right word for where he lived, and received a nod in return.

Each was about to respond in the affirmative, but any thoughts of speaking were drowned out as the crusaders responded in their own signature way.

"CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS MINOTAUR KINGDOM FINDERS! YAY!"

Shadow Mirror groaned as he rubbed his ear painfully. "I guess it's decided, then," he grinned. Looking around, he noticed that he had not been the only one affected by their ear-shattering cry. He had fared better than Rover, who was currently curled in the fetal position on the ground.

"...I need some pearls,” Shyfrost muttered, a claw on his forehead to try to pacify the headache he knew was coming.

Spike, who had been the only one quick enough to plug his ears, laughed and placed a claw on his shoulder while smiling comfortingly. "Me too. Rarity is going to kill me when she finds out we took her sister like this... Applejack, too." And with that, Shyfrost had a good laugh, even though he knew that Spike was being completely honest.

Everyone stood up and they followed the prince away from the town off into the minotaur unknown.


"Twilight, are you alright?" Fluttershy gently asked. The pair along with her other friends sat in a cramped air cabin that was being pulled by royal pegasus guards. Twilight scoffed but not in her direction.

"Oh I'm just peachy! We went on this long trip to find our dragons, my Spike! And we never found them! Once more the princess sends a letter requesting our presence due to some sort of emergency regarding the Elements of Harmony. Spike is out there probably scared in Celestia knows where with Celestia knows who, and I can't do a dang thing about it!" By the time she was finished speaking, everypony in the cabin was staring at her. "Uh, I'm sorry..."

"It's alright, sugarcube. Why, if my sister was out there I'd be scared too. Then I'd tan her hide for running off!"

Dash laughed. "Twi, you said they were with some kind of pegasus. We're fighters! He'll be fine!"

"...He'd better be," Twilight muttered, but the rest of the trip was fairly uneventful.

They arrived in the castle courtyard with Princess Luna waiting. Twilight spoke up.

"Princess Luna? What's-"

"In time, Twilight. My sister is waiting for you and your friends. Oh, and your brother is here as well," Luna replied while gesturing to Applejack.

"He brought the fillies?!"

Luna paused after turning around. "Fillies?” she asked, cocking her head. “I'm afraid I don't know why he arrived, but I saw no fillies."

Applejack gave a hesitant nod and figured it was best to follow the princess.

They all showed up in the throne room to a stoic looking Princess and a flustered looking stallion. Before the Princess could speak up, Applejack did.

"Where are the fillies?! Did you leave them with somepony?!"

"Well, you see, um, help?" He looked up at Princess Celestia and she sighed.

"I'm afraid that we do not know, they tricked your brother and set off to find your dragons. Which, given the sight of you, I'm assuming you never found them?"

"No, they never even made it to the migration!" Twilight exclaimed, interrupting her friend before she could have an outburst at her brother.

"Quite unfortunate. I will send them a letter soon, let us hope that your fillies are with them as well... At any rate, we have important matters to discuss."

"Yeah, you said something is wrong with the elements?"

"Yes. What it is, I'm not quite sure yet; but let me show you." She levitated a box up and presented the items in question. "As you can plainly see, something is making them react."

"But what could do that princess? It's not Discord, is it?!"

"No, I double checked for his influence, and there are no traces. There is some sort of magical force out there that is making them react in this manner..." They all looked on as the elements jewels began to shine and distort into different colors. "The magic in the elements is being drained."

"Wait, nothing should be powerful enough to be able to do that, princess!"

Celestia tilted her head to the side. "Apparently, there is. Now, can you think of a reason for the Elements of Harmony to be drained in this manner?"

Twilight hesitated. "No, unless... something out there was magically powerful enough to unbalance them."

"Unbalance the elements? But they cause balance, they're the Elements of Harmony for Luna's sake!" Dash spat out.

But Celestia shook her head. "No, Rainbow Dash. The Elements of Harmony are powerful, this is true. But they do not control balance of anything; they simply purge things to create harmony in its place. Balance would mean an equal amount of harmony and... dare I say?... chaos as well. Twilight is right, though, something must be out there causing them to be drained which leaves Equestria open for attack!"

"So how the devil do you find the source of the problem, your majesty?" Rarity asked, poking and prodding the box.

"The best I plan I can offer is handing over the elements to each of you. You will then travel Equestria in hopes of forcing a strong magical reaction to occur. Once that happens, you will know the source of the problem."

Pinkie jumped up. "Oooo, an adventure!" She then stood in place frozen to the spot, not falling down from the reins of gravity. "But we just went on an adventure! And I don't think I can swing it with the Cakes to be gone for this long..."

"Same with me and my weather job..." Dash muttered, feeling slightly hurt that she might miss out on said adventure.

"But this is for the service of the country!" Luna butted in.

"Now, now Luna. We cannot ask them all to go after being gone this long to find their dragons. Still, we do need some of you to go, so who shall it be, Twilight?"

"Me?"

"Yes, I trust your judgment and-"

"Beggin' your pardon, Princess, but ah'm going! I need to find my sister!"

"I do as well, your highness," Rarity added.

"Me too, if that's alright..."

"Very well, each of you shall take your respective Elements. Even you two. I take it you will stay in Ponyville?"

"Yeah, I can't lose my job, and I don't think Pinkie can swing that either."

"Fair enough, please keep your elements with you at all times in case something causes them to react." They nodded and picked them up. Twilight looked on curiously before turning back to her teacher.

"Princess, where are we supposed to start looking?"

"That, I will leave up to you. We do not know where to start, but I'm sure a mind as sharp as yours can figure that out."

"Alright, I can start looking in the library?" Twilight said hesitantly, unsure of her actions.

"A good start. I will send a letter to Spike to see what they are up to."

"Thank you, Princess, that makes me feel a bit better."

"No problem, my student,” Princess Celestia said comfortingly.

Unnoticed by either of them, in a corner of the room, Applejack was dragging her brother through a door to have a few words with him. His trembling frame and her posture clearly indicated that whatever words she had for him would not be pleasant.


Spike rolled up the letter with trembling claws. “Okay, then. How do we respond to the princess?”

The group had taken a break in their travels. The peaceful respite quickly turned sour as Spike had received a letter. Said letter questioned what they were doing and why they had not returned. Out of a sense of self-preservation, Spike really had no inclination to answer. His eyes wandered across the group. A changeling, who he assumed would not sound all that nice if the Princess were to discover his presence. A prince minotaur, Twilight and the Princess had always warned him when dealing with royalty there was often complications. A diamond dog, Spike had to admit that he had no clue where their kind standed with ponies. And finally the fillies, just mentioning them would set off a red alert to Twilight if not the Princess herself. So, to put it nicely, he was panicking slightly.

"The truth?" Shyfrost offered.

Spike shook his head. That was completely out of the question. "No. Anypony else care to guess?"

After fifteen minutes of talking they had decided on a letter:

Dear Princess,

First off, Shyfrost and I are perfectly fine. We are traveling with our companion friend who is a pegasus. His name is Day Bright. The reason we cannot return yet is because we are looking for the three fillies known as the Cutie Mark Crusaders, who we have spotted several times. They are running for some reason... So we will be out until we get them back. Please tell Twilight and Fluttershy that we love them and should be back soon.

Signed, Spike and Shyfrost

PS: If they do decide to come after us, please bring pearls!

"Okay, should I send this?"

Shyfrost pondered Spike's statement and then had a brighter idea. "Why don't we just not send anything?"

"...What?"

"Well, think about it for a second. This letter sounds too vague, and they will know something is up for sure."

"Maybe, but if we don't send anything, then they will panic and think something happened to us!"

"They probably already think that, dude!"

"Oh yeah? Listen to me, you..." Spike's voice trailed off and he stood dumbfounded at the new sight before him. All of them turned around to see one of the largest griffons they had ever seen.

"It's you!" Shyfrost gasped. All turned to him, giving the dragon quizzical looks, but Shyfrost would not take his eyes off the griffon, hoping he was actually there. The griffon looked passive while he scanned the crowd.

"Yes, I remember you dragon. It's been a few-" He was interrupted by a bone crushing hug from the young frost dragon, at least it would have been bone crushing had he been older. The griffon awkwardly chuckled but had not expected the others to join the circle.

The changeling deadpanned and coughed once. "And here we go again!" But nothing happened. The changeling sighed. "Okay, never mind, I guess not everyone we meet is going to have an artifact."

"You mean like this?" The griffon had pulled out an oddly designed hammer. It seemed to be made out of pure silver. "I do own something that pertains to most of you, these fillies excluded."

"Awwwww," the Crusaders said in union but were ignored.

"But perhaps we should introduce ourselves... My name is Garret."

"So that's your name!" Shyfrost said after breaking up his hug.

"Aye. I never caught your name, dragon."

"Uh, it's Shyfrost. And this is Spike." Spike waved. "The fellow who spoke is Shadow Mirror, he's a nice changeling."

He raised an eye brow but shrugged. "I'll take your word for it."

"Right. This is Prince Steel Valor."

"That much I know."

"Oh. Anyway, this is Rover." Rover waved while the griffon nodded. "And these are my friends from Ponyville."

"I'm Sweetie Belle!"

"Scootaloo!"

"Apple Bloom, and we're-"

"Yeah, I don't think he wants anyone to scream, girls." He received a death glare from the fillies for interrupting them, but Shyfrost just shrugged.

"Well, now that introductions are over with, I believe we need to discuss these artifacts. I may know a few things that you all don't, although it's probably not too much."

"Wait, why do you know so much about these things?" Spike demanded.

"I don't, but I do know some. I know for a fact that most of you have been hearing voices when these episodes happen, right?"

They all nodded.

"That is because these artifacts are connected to leaders of other nations, or at least they were."

"Were?" Shyfrost questioned.

"Yes. I don't know the exact history, but from some old books I've gathered that in the distant past each of these artifacts were tethered, to an extent, to leaders of various races."

"What races?" Spike asked.

"Dragons, griffons, diamond dogs, I believe changelings and finally minotaurs."

"So what do they do?"

"Um, I'm not quite sure." He admitted, ignoring the loudest groans that echoed off one another, he continued. "Yo-"

"Wait a minute. How did you know to find us?"

He smiled at this. "The hammer." He looked around at the confused looks. "Oh, it kindof led me to you all. But to be honest, I sensed you." He said while pointing to the only frost dragon there.

"Me? Why?"

"Not sure, might have something to do with that tail of yours. I did make it after all with the hammer. I just know that for once in my life the hammer started to feel warm and when I got closer to this town it began to flash..."

"Flash?"

He nodded. "Brightly, but the closer I got to the town the more it dimmed until I got close to you, Shyfrost. I can only assume it was a way of tracking you accidentally."

"Ahh. But why leave your home in the first place?"

"I like to travel, or adventure I suppose. I tend not to stick close to pony towns or cities but sometimes I find myself in those places. So here I am."

"Huh. So what do we do know?"

"Well," the griffon paused and made sure most of them were paying attention, "what were you all doing before I arrived?"

The dragon smirked. "Adventuring."

A slow smile spread across the griffon's face.

Author's Note:

Garret the Griffon with his mighty Silver Hammer.
Rover the Diamond Dog with his Silver Dagger.
Shadow Mirror the Changeling with his Heart Shaped Crystal.
Steel Valor the Minotaur owns a Special Coin.
Shyfrost the Frost Dragon with his Amulet.
Spike the Fire Dragon with superior knowledge!
Cutie Mark Crusaders with the ability to annoy anyone!
Quite the group. o.O