• Published 30th Sep 2012
  • 12,772 Views, 649 Comments

Spike's Nameless Brother - Cold Spike



When a strange creature wonders onto Applejack's Farm he gets caught up in the town of Ponyville.

  • ...
27
 649
 12,772

Chapter 24: Unity

“You want us to what?”

“Talk to your amulet, see if it helps us summon Equestria’s leaders. We need all of your help, not just Shyfrost.”

The diamond dog of the group huffed. “Need I remind you his amulet does something, but our artifacts do not?”

Twilight smiled. “I-- no, we, that is, Princess Celestia and I, believe you’re wrong. We think each artifact serves a purpose. I don’t think Shyfrost’s amulet works without the rest, otherwise the world’s leaders would have heard him long before this.”

The dog, the frost dragon, griffon, prince and changeling shared and look and shrugged. “Sure, we’ll help,” they all exclaimed in unison. Rover pulled out his dagger and raised it high in the air. Garret swung his hammer around. Shyfrost smiled and raised his amulet from around his neck, while Shadow did something similar with his shard. Prince Valor flipped his coin a few times and smirked to the rest.

Shyfrost looked down to his amulet and frowned. “Uh, what do I say to it?” he asked.

“Well--” Twilight frowned and stopped talking, a loud thundering noise had interrupted her and everyone else. “What was that?!”

“Twilight! Look!” Rainbow pointed off into the distance, Twilight squinted to see what she was pointing at, and then her eyes widened and her jaw dropped. The sight was purely breathtaking.

Several dragons were flying towards them, with the king leading the way. Their powerful wings beat the air as they approached in a multitude of colors ranging from blue to lavender. Surrounding them were around four dozen griffons, along with one that if they squinted their eyes seemed oddly familiar. They all started to back up when the ground around them began to form holes, holes that were made by various diamond dogs. Changelings were bringing up the rear, while the Queen looked on in confusion. Minotaurs were well behind them, though most seemed to be riding on the very large dragon’s backs. It was all so bizarre, yet very welcome.

“Our odds of succeeding just increased dramatically…” Luna murmured, transfixed on the sight before her.

Twilight mumbled something as her ears dropped down.

“What was that, Twilight?” Luna asked.

“We don’t have very many unicorns here; they’re all stuck in Canterlot. Our odds won’t be that great without unicorn magic… not to put down the other races, of course. Of course they help, but with only a few skilled unicorns I doubt we can push through Discord’s magic so easily.”

Luna frowned, but not even a second later it turned up into a smirk. “Twilight, you would make an excellent military official. I believe what we have shall suffice, though.”

Twilight sighed. “Let’s hope so…”

Luna smiled warmly at her. “Have faith in your fellow Equestrians,” she urged. “Have faith in your friends.”

“But we don’t have The Elements!” Twilight protested.

Luna titled her head quizzically. “Did you need them before? Have you needed them at all times to accomplish the tasks in your lives?” she challenged.

“N- no,” Twilight had to answer.

“Then have faith, if anything, in yourself. Now come, we must prepare.”

Twilight watched her walk away, just as the shadows of other creatures started to descend on them. She smiled.


The gathering was not to end anytime soon, Celestia decided. Yet it was clear that the gathered creatures were growing a bit restless. They needed a focal point. They needed something to rally behind. And that’s what she would give them. She stepped forward with head held high, not even bothering to glance behind her. Instead, she looked through the gathering crowd that endlessly poured in.

“Citizens of your nations, I implore you to listen.” Celestia’s voice echoed throughout the town by using an amplifying spell that Spike had found in one of his books. She could use her ‘Canterlot’ voice for sure, just like her sister; but not to an entire town without magical aid. The dragons looked on from their spots on top of the trees. The land-based ponies and Minotaurs and dogs looked up from their spot near the lake. The changelings flew about and calmed down after a moment, oddly enough landing near the dragons. “A dangerous foe threatens your freedom, and my little ponies. I have lost control of my city all by the hands of two lone draconequus, one that goes by Dee and the other Discord.” The crowds had began to murmur, some looking away as if unable to believe her, though even among those faces they seemed scared. “They want to control more than Canterlot, they want to control us all. To turn us into their playthings for their joy and amusement while we all suffer. Not all of our races have always gotten along, I am aware. We have a truce among most, but others are hostile towards us, simply not willing to give up on old rivalries and feuds.” She didn’t direct this statement at any race in particular, but there were some from each that seemed to look somewhat ashamed. She continued, “I implore you to cast aside these differences and work together, or it may be your last day where free will exists. I am Princess Celestia, I know I have no authority over those who are not ponies, but I plead with you: stand with us, and together we will defeat our common enemy!”

It took everyone a few minutes to respond. The griffons seemed to be the most stubborn-looking, yet soon they were nodding along with everyone else. Celestia steeled herself and continued. “Then prepare yourselves and your armies, this will be one long fight. I don’t expect bloodshed or physical injuries will be among the things dished out today. Prepare your minds, they will fight dirty. Keep your wits about you. It will not be easy, but obtaining freedom, obtaining what is right never is. We stand together, we will be victorious!”

With that Celestia turned around to face her group, they were slightly awestruck with how quickly she had came up with a speech.

“That was awesome!” Rainbow yelled.

“I must say, you seemed to rally them on our side quite quickly.”

Shyfrost frowned. “Uh, so does that mean our artifacts don’t do anything? They just help us talk to the leaders? That’s it?”

The queen of the changelings chuckled. “Let’s not forget: you got me to see reason. I’d say they’re useful.”

“Shyfrost, I don’t know what Discord and Dee will use against us. It would be best if, in case we need to split up, we have a way to contact the leaders. I dont know any spell that can do that instantly, so I’d say those artifacts are very useful. They can help us stick to a plan and not get lost,” Twilight explained. Then frowned and turned to The Queen. “Uh, only King Pyro heard Shyfrost when he spoke, did you hear anything?”

“Not really, no. That’s bad, huh?”

Twilight squinted her eyes on the frost dragon’s amulet then instantly smiled. “Shadow!”

Shadow was busy scratching at his ear with his wing and turned up. “What ya need?”

“Have you tried talking into your shard before?”

“No…” He frowned and brought it out of his bag. He turned it over, and then held it up to his lips. “Hello!” he called.

Chrysalis yelped in surprise and tripped over her own hooves, crashing into the ground. “Lovely,” she grumbled as she pushed herself up.

Twilight clapped her hooves. “Excellent, that means they all function the same. Or at least, they should.”

Celestia cleared her throat to get everyone’s attention. “I am not sure what we will be facing when we go. Discord was never one to play the same tricks twice, and Dee could simply complicate things.”

“Princess… do you have a plan? I don’t know much about…” Twilight tried searching for a word and then simply shrugged. “Battles. I also don’t think it’s such a good idea to send so many in at once.”

“You’re right, it is a bad idea, a terrible idea even.” They watched Celestia get a far away look in her eyes before smiling. “However, it may buy us enough time to recover what was lost.”

“The Elements? We don’t even know what caused them to be… well, sick. How are we even supposed to find them?”

Celestia looked down for a moment, her smile fading. “Twilight, my plan, the one to find out what was wrong, wasn’t terribly clever. I felt lost and figured eventually you might find something, but there was no guarantee. I do believe I know what caused them to become sick, though, and now I believe that it is solved.”

Twilight leaned in. “What?”

“It is only a hunch, but when I was talking with Spike, he mentioned some of the creatures he saw on their journeys were acting a bit off, particularly the griffons. Now, while it is true that griffons in general tend to not get along with dragons or changelings or most other races, (something I hope to fix when this is all over), I do believe their behavior has something to do with Dee and possibly Discord’s plans. When the creatures of Equestria begin to act in discord and harmony is tossed aside, the Elements begin to react.”

Twilight nodded absorbing her words and then shook her head. “Why do you think they’re fixed?”

“Can you not see? Just look around you, Twilight. Creatures of various races are getting along. I see some griffons camping with dragons and even a few changelings trying to mingle with others undisguised. I have not checked Pinkie’s or Rainbow’s Elements yet, but I will, and I am certain they will be fine.” Celestia finished speaking wearing the same calm smile as before, the one Twilight was used to seeing on her mentor. This was strangely comforting.

“Okay… how do we… Rarity!”

“Ah, you got the other part of my plan. Good.”

Twilight then shook her head again, frowning up at the princess. “You’re using the other races as distractions, or bait… that’s wrong.”

“I never said I was going to lie to them about my plan, their leaders will know beforehand.” She tapped her chin a few times. “Plus I highly doubt that any civilians came; the leaders of their nations most likely picked the strongest of their warriors to aid them. At least, I certainly hope so…”

Twilight nodded. “Alright then, let’s get ready!”

“Indeed.”

Twilight turned around and backed up in surprise, she realized that most of the ponies she knew had been listening. “Uh-”

“So what do ya need us to do?” Rainbow practically demanded, flapping her wings and hovering above her with crossed hooves.

Then Scootaloo jumped in front of Twilight. “Yeah!” she added. “We’re ready!”

Twilight and Rainbow were about to speak up when Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom walked beside her. “Cutie Mark Crusaders reporting for duty!” The three saluted and then quickly joined Scootaloo by her side.

Twilight looked on in bewilderment then quickly turned to Rainbow. “I need you to gather the girls and meet here. I--” She paused when Rainbow literally flew away and came back just as quickly with four very confused looking mares. “Um, thank you. Girls, I need you to prepare. We don’t have a clue what Discord and Dee have in plan, but it won’t be easy to overcome. Princess Celestia says she has a way to track down the Elements!” The five smiled at this. “Pinkie, I need you to go show yours to Celestia to make sure it’s… well, better.”

Pinkie Pie saluted and started to bounce away on her hooves. “I’m on it! Pinkie, away!”

“Rarity, do you think you could tweak your gem finding spell to find the Element stones?”

Rarity considered briefly. “Well, I… I suppose that might work; but darling, we don’t even know where to look.”

Twilight hesitated before speaking. “Uh, actually I may have an idea where they could be. It didn’t really occur to me until now, but it would fit Discord’s style of humor. As magical as they are, they cannot simply hide something in nowhere. They have to be somewhere.”

Rarity nodded. “Very well, where do you think they are?”

“Well--and I could be wrong--but they may be in…” Twilight leaned in and whispered in Rarity’s ear.

That evening there wasn’t a creature in the vicinity of the town that did not hear Rarity scream in horror. “You want me to go where?!”


Princess Luna trotted up to her sister, who was busy surveying whatever creatures had come and were willing to fight. “Are they prepared, sister?” she asked.

Celestia shook her head. “No. There is no preparing with creatures like Discord, but they are ready to move out. We all are. We may need to split up, though; any creature that can fly could take to the skies easily. I do not think it is a good idea for all of us to stick together, and I already relayed that to Shyfrost and his group.”

Twilight nodded and followed her out in a march. “Won’t you be flying with, well, them?”

“No. Luna and I have a special plan. We were outwitted before, and I do not intend to let that happen a second time. You will just need to trust us…”

Twilight didn’t like that Celestia’s voice had trailed off and she had looked away, but she nodded all the same. Soon, the minotaurs and other land based creatures had joined the two by her side, including Shyfrost’s group who did not wish to leave his side for a minute. Surrounding them were more minotaurs, a few dragons apparently did not wish to fly and whoever wished to volunteer from the town of Ponyville. The leaders of the other nations were absent however.

“Twilight, I--ooph!” Rarity started to speak but tripped on something that had literally started to burrow up from the ground. Twilight and her friends looked back to spot several DIamond Dogs popping up from the ground all around them. One of them seemed to look Rarity straight in the eye causing her to back up a bit.

“Where gems?”

The fashion designer snorted and sighed. “Since you did not find our Princess then you do not get--” Twilight stopped her with a hoof, stepped forward and then smiled down to the dogs.

“What Rarity meant was, we have your gems.”

The dogs’ smiles widened and they held out their paws, clearly expecting to receive them now.

“But they’re all in Canterlot Castle, and it’s been taken over. Now, if you help us, you’ll get your gems and maybe a little extra. If you don’t, well… you might never get them.”

The dog who seemed to be in charge pondered this and then turned to Rover, who had also stopped to witness them. “You trust them?”

“Me?” Rover pointed to himself, wondering just why they cared about what he thought. He then grunted and walked up to the dog that was taller and buffer than himself. “Why do you care now? You kicked me out!”

The dog scratched the back of his head and looked away. “Uh , just kidding?”

Rover narrowed his eyes and then noticed that most of them were looking away from him. “What is going on?”

The large one sighed, but it was a smaller petitte one that spoke up, in a girl’s voice. “We made a mistake. Fighto’s a terrible leader!”

“Hey!” the one dubbed Fighto looked shocked, but as he looked around, no one was coming to his defense.

The girl one walked up to him and placed a paw on his shoulder. “He tried, but you know best, Rover. Will you come back?”

Rover looked at the small group that the had once called a clan. They were not the toughest, fastest or biggest clan he had ever seen. But they were his friends and family, so he simply nodded. “I will, but you need to help us out first.”

Rarity watched on in confusion and turned to Twilight. “Why did you say that back there?” She whispered, making sure the clan could not hear her. “Do you even know if there are gems up there?”

“Actually, there are, and the crown can use them for any means necessary at a time of war, and technically we’re in one. Im sure Celestia wouldn’t mind…” She turned to her mentor and frowned, the princess wore a shocked look on her face. “Was that bad?” Twilight asked fearfully.

Celestia chuckled. “No!” she said quickly. “No, it’s just… that was the first time you’ve ever called me by my first name without my title. It was cute.”

Twilight immediately blushed and darted her eyes around to make sure nopony had heard that. “Cute? Okay…”

Celestia merely chuckled some more and walked off, leaving behind her bewildered student and a few giggling friends.


The entire group--that is, everyone who had decided to come along--had stopped. The ground-based allies had found the pegasi, griffons, changelings and some dragons laying in front of the most massive force field that Twilight had ever seen. The field did not give up a flash of light or radiate; it was simply a massive square shape around Canterlot and its castle, and it had rainbow colored stripes.

Princess Luna walked away from their group and walked up to a nearby dragon. She examined him for a moment and found his red scales and spikes to be a bit intimidating, though his size was mostly to blame. “Have any of you tried going in?”

The dragon snorted, releasing an abundance of smoke all around her and causing her to trip over her own regalia before she regained her footing. He quickly apologized. “Oh, goodness me, I am terribly sorry for that.”

Luna smiled up at him and nodded.

“Right, no, none of us have tried. We figured we would wait for everyone else. If Discord is behind this, then it is obviously a trap.”

Luna tilted her head up with a quizzical look. “You know of Discord? You act as if you’ve dealt with him before.”

“No, but my ancestors did; and their stories were passed on to me. Even today, most dragons know what he is capable of.”

Luna tapped her chin. “I… see. He certainly isn’t trying to hide a trap.” The dragon nodded. “Thank you for your time.”

Luna quickly rejoined her sister, who seemed to be busy attempting to break through. She watched her sister pour in raw magic to the forcefield, only to have it come out the other end. “This is not a forcefield.” Celestia sighed and shook her head. “I don’t know what it is, I just know it’s not designed to keep things out.”

Rainbow flapped her wings just an inch shy of the field. “Smells like a trap to me.”

“Indeed. Hmm…magic that seems to do nothing…” she muttered under her breath. Then she turned to the closest creature next to her. “Spike, would you mind throwing a rock through? Just at the road over there?”

Spike scratched his head and then turned to look at the road in question. It was a single dirt-paved road that lead up the mountain into Canterlot. It began where the rainbow colored magical disturbance did. He turned back to Celestia and nodded. He quickly found one on the ground and kicked it inside. It disappeared the second it touched the colors.

The drake tilted his head and took a single step towards the disturbance. A bright shock caused him to stumble back and land on his tail. The portal had wanted him to go inside, he had felt it draw him in. “Stupid portal thing…”

Princess Celestia stepped forward and hesitantly raised her hoof to reach the portal, the effect was instant. She felt it draw her in, like a powerful magnet, however she could back away easily making the force stop.

“Luna, gather,” Celestia commanded, and the two huddled together to speak.

There stood five in the huddle. They looked over in confusion to find three fillies had gathered with them. The Crusaders gave their best wide, pleading eyes; but the princesses returned fire with glares hardened from thousands of years of dealing with nobles, and they were forced to stand down. Defeated but unbroken, they retreated a pace or two, though Scootaloo did stick her tongue out.

“What do you make of it?”

“Obviously a trap; though I would figure all of Canterlot is booby-trapped anyway, or worse. We cannot risk the lives of all the creatures we have here on a plan of ‘run in all at once’.”

Luna felt a gentle tap on her shoulder and she spun around quickly, causing the mare behind her to flinch. “Um, we have an idea, Princess Luna.”

“Very well. What is it?”

Rainbow Dash flew up and landed right next to them, not waiting for Fluttershy to respond. “We could go in! Make sure it’s safe, kick anyone’s butt if it’s not, and then come back to get you guys.”

Luna was amused, but only for a moment. “I very much doubt there will be any fighting in there. At least, not a physical fight, anyway.” The six mares gathered around in a circle to listen. “You all must understand that Discord can get more chaotic, more powerful with greater amount of freedom he has. I can’t think of anything more powerful than occupying a city. You must stay together if you’re to do this.”

It wasn’t a question if they were to do it; they would be going, no matter what. They knew that when they all shared a look and a smile. It was question of whether or not they could succeed. They had no elements, but each one of them were strong on their own though. Even Fluttershy didn’t lack confidence in their ability to solve things as a team, a friendship team. A unity. Twilight smiled. She knew they could do this.

“What about us?” A familiar voice called out.

What? Twilight or indeed any of her friends hadn't expected that. Ordinarily on their missions they would find out what needed to be done and then hop to it. There was never anyone standing in their way! Well, except for the villain of course… always gotta have a villain. Twilight’s thoughts were pushed aside though when she noticed who had spoken, it was Shyfrost.

“What do you mean?” She thought out loud, not realizing she had said it until it was too late. Ordinarily she would think things through before saying something, she wanted to defuse the situation properly. It had become a situation at least to her.

“Well, we wanted to help. So, how do we help?” The diamond dog asked, and judging by how almost every other creature was standing and listening closely, he wasn’t the only one.

She caught sight of one of the changelings hovering over her. “Yeah, what are we supposed to do? Just sit here and wait?”

Twilight didn’t have a full answer for that, but she could easily point them in the right direction. “Well, I suppose you and your group could council with the princesses, after that--”

“What about us? Weren't we supposed to help?” At least that was what a few of the pegasus ponies yelled out. They had all gathered in a tight group, simply sitting around or amusing themselves with banter or chit-chatting.

Twilight glanced over at them and figured since they had butted in, that others would soon follow. Her eyes scanned over to the other groups and she found that they were getting ready to. She quickly turned back to Celestia and gave her a pleading look, as if to tell her to inform the others that they were the Elements of Harmony, so they should go and the others should wait outside. It was only fair. All though that logic didn’t make too much sense, she had mentioned they would need more help, which is why she didn’t actually say anything out loud. Instead she simply stared with pleading eyes.

“Twilight, you and your friends have done great things in the past. You’ve stopped foes, learned about friendship, and you yourself know more magic than most creatures that are currently living today. However, I believe that in this situation, you’re going to need more than just yourselves. I believe you will need the help of your fellow Equestrians.”

“You’re talking about the… well, using them as bait?”

Celestia frowned but nodded. “I am; though not in the way you’re thinking. They will be a distraction. The spell covering the entrance is a indeed a trap, but not for long. I sense that no living creature wouldn’t be affected by touching it. If we draw Discord and Dee outside…”

“Then they’ll have to turn it off!” Twilight beamed, it was perfect! Then she caught sight of a house exploding in confetti in the distance, on top of the mountain. “But how do we draw them out? Why would they even need to leave?”

“They’ve taken over Canterlot, but not this world. Dee seemed interested our dimension, as she put it. She has barely taken over a tenth of this planet; to accomplish her goal she will need to move on past Canterlot. I suspect they are waiting for us to fall into the trap in order to continue unhindered; but I do have a plan and it involves that trap.” Celestia smiled and walked away from Twilight. Apprehensive, the other mare watched her mentor fly high above, speaking to other leaders.


“Celestia,” Twilight began with her eyes closed, “this is the craziest plan you have ever… planned.” Now that she thought about it, Celestia had never actually schemed with her before. In fact, she made it a point to never do scheming herself.

Celestia’s smile was creepy. It wasn’t the calm collective one she was used to; it was wild and maniac. “Good. Hopefully it will work, then; I don’t exactly have a back up plan!” Then she chuckled like mad. “This feels good. I hate planning ahead so much, stresses you out.”

Twilight soon found she and her friends, along with anyone else there, dressed in random attire. She herself wore a party frock that would feel at home to any toddler at a birthday party. Rainbow Dash was fully decked out in a cowboy outfit, borrowed from Applejack. The farm pony wore a hat on her tail. Fluttershy wore a stallions tuxedo, complete with a cane that she kept in her mouth. Sweetie Belle currently looked like a clone of the butter mare, including her brand new color scheme in her mane and coat. Blaze Wings, much to her embarrassment and annoyance, wore a frilly ballerina outfit that was nothing but pink. Apple Bloom had dragon spikes sticking out of her back, in the form of cardboard and paint. Pinkie Pie was seated on a red arm chair, her mane tied into a neat and orderly fashion using a needle in the back to hold it all in place. Princess Celestia was dressed as a cow, though sadly and to her disappointment her flowing mane could not be painted black and white. Princess Luna donned an illusion that made her seem significantly smaller. Finally, Spike wore his trusty pink apron.

Rainbow shifted her body a bit, trying to get used to the multitude of clothing. “Whelp, I feel silly.”

Blaze snorted. “Speak for yourself…”

Princess Luna, or Woona, as her sister liked to call her, flapped her wings. “Is eewypony weady?” She spoke in the false voice that melted her sisters heart, yet made everyone else cringe.

A synchronization of nods were given from every one of the different creatures that were stationed around the entrance to the rainbow opening in different poses.

Celestia closed her eyes, sighed and then shot them open with determination. Her horn shined brightly, matching the luminosity of her own sun. They watched it shift then slowly fall down from the sky, then it shot right back up reversing its direction until it landed squarely back where it had been. She did this in a loop, over and over it continued to go up and down, like a yoyo. “Places everyone!”

She watched her ponies and the other races gather around in various random groups; meanwhile she used a bit of magic to summon a tea set along with rather fancy chairs and a table for herself. She took a seat, sipped some imaginary tea (since her magic could only summon so much) and then smiled calmly while the sun continued its loop.


Discord and Dee sat in what had previously been the commander room for the captain of the guard, busily trying to come up with a plan.

“No, no, no! You can’t just march right into dragon territory and take over; they have magic too, you know,” DIscord exclaimed as he crossed his arms. He blew a few bubbles out of a pipe then quickly lapped them up using his tongue, then burped.

Dee rolled her eyes. “We have plenty of magic. We can just syphon some from all the captured unicorns.”

Discord’s face darkened for a moment before breaking out into fits of giggles. “Oh, good one.” He nudged her in the side, causing her to frown deeply. “Very funny. Heh, even if we did do that there wouldn’t be enough magic to face one of their so called elder dragons. Not even a thousand unicorns could stand up to one of them.”

She sighed. “Combined, we should have enough to take them down easily!”

Please.” He summoned up another tea cup, making sure that this one wouldn’t run away like the last twenty seven. “Perhaps with a bit of planning, of course. Chaos can be such a powerful ally after all, but chaos and brute force do not mix well.” He frowned himself and turned around. “Stop messing with the sun. Although, I must say, I do appreciate the theming you are trying to pull. Very chaotic.”

“I’m not doing that…” Dee began slowly, somewhat mesmerized by the sun’s movement. “I thought you were.”

It took the two a single moment to process what was going on. Then suddenly, Discord began to cackle out of nowhere, pounding his fists on the table over and over.

“Oh, Celestia, never one to give up, hmm?” He snapped a claw and the two vanished, appearing a second later in the main hall. “I believe our plans will have to wait, we have a pest to take care of.” He summoned up a top hat and a cane, along with a snazzy suit (if he did say so himself) and donned it all with a smile.

Dee snarled at the sun. “So it would seem.”

Author's Note: