• Published 30th Sep 2012
  • 12,768 Views, 649 Comments

Spike's Nameless Brother - Cold Spike



When a strange creature wonders onto Applejack's Farm he gets caught up in the town of Ponyville.

  • ...
27
 649
 12,768

Chapter 5: Family

Twilight and Spike were waiting outside patiently in the hopes that Fluttershy would come out smiling, or at least with something good to say. Spike was sitting on Twilight’s back, with his claws gently kneading her back. At this point, Twilight was very used to her assistant’s strong claws, but right now Spike seemed to only be interested in scratching at his friend with nervous twitches. They both seemed a little on edge over this whole situation. Fluttershy had always been quick to forgive; but if she actually asked the dragon to leave after welcoming him into her cottage, then she clearly was not in a good mood.

“Spike, can you please stop scratching me so fast?”

“Sorry, Twi. I’m just really tense. I mean, for that little dragon to go to such insane lengths to reach me… Fluttershy must have scared him or something.” Spike stopped scratching, but his twitching claws switched to twitching legs, much to Twilight’s annoyance.

“Well, he isn’t exactly a normal dragon now, is he? I mean he took down a spider, climbed a mountain, stowed away into the castle, and impressed Celestia all in two days’ time!”

Spike had nothing to say to that, and so both lapsed into silence. They had been waiting for so long that before they knew it, Luna had raised the moon, and both looked up at the stars for a while. To Twilight it felt nice to have a peaceful moment outdoors as Spike rested on her back, not putting much weight on her with his young physique. Her friend let out a big yawn as he continued to stare at Luna’s sky. Just like Twilight, he had some questions in his head surrounding his new orange-colored friend, but knew pressing matters would have to wait as he kept glancing back at Fluttershy’s cottage.

“Hey Twi, do you think there are other dragons like him out there?”

Twilight was caught off guard by his question and took a second to think about her answer. “Well, Spike, if there are two of you I’m sure there are more.” She knew something was bugging him.

“Sorry, it’s just... we’ve never had another dragon show up before, and… I was just wondering.”

“Well…” Twilight answered carefully. “Look, Spike, I know ponies tend to think other dragons are mean or unsettling. But you both are extremely nice, so that must prove something to the other ponies right?.”

“I know, I know. But what does that say about my race if most of us are just jerks to others?”

This comment was not going to be as easy to reply to. Twilight knew now that something must have been bugging him for a while and what she was hearing now was just the tip of the iceberg. She had also detected a hint of sadness in his voice and knew she needed to be honest but comforting. She took a deep breath and replied, “Spike, I know things were not exactly easy for you in Canterlot. I’m sure you felt like an outcast. But it’s up to you--and now this new dragon--to show other ponies that your race is not something to hate. I know that that is a lot to ask and I’m sorry. Still, we did meet that adult dragon that Fluttershy was able to talk to and get him to stop polluting Ponyville with his breath, so they can’t be all jerks.” She smirked a bit looking back at her assistant, and Spike cracked a slight smile.

“I guess you're right, Twi. Sorry, I didn’t mean to make you sad.”

“It’s fine, Spike; you know you can come to me with any thoughts or problems, right?”

“Yeah, I know. It’s just that... after that dragon showed up it got me thinking of where they found my egg. I mean, what if my egg was found in the forest?” Spike had calmed down a bit, but Twilight could tell that he had been keeping that question to himself for a while.

“Are you suggesting that the ponies that brought in your egg for my examination just stole it from the forest, Spike?”

“Well, the little orange dragon lived in the forest his whole life if you believe him, plus they never told you where I was found.”

This comment annoyed Twilight, as she knew what her assistant was getting at. She replied a bit more sternly than she had intended. “He’s not your brother, Spike. I don’t know where you came from or where he came from.”

“Well, if you don’t know where we came from, then how can you be so sure that he’s not my brother?” Spike asked, a smirk playing on the edge of his mouth.

Twilight was about to yell at him but realized that he had caught her. He was being pretty logical in his argument. She took a breath and answered, “Spike, I know it bothers you that you don’t know your real parents and… You’re hoping that this dragon might be a part of your blood family.” Spike slowly nodded, hoping to not upset her. “I suppose I can’t prove that he is not your brother and if you feel that strongly about him, then I’m proud of you for making such a close friend,” she smiled.

“Well, he climbed a mountain just to see me, Twi. Maybe he cares more about friendship than we thought.”

“Hmm, I guess that is a good point, but you know I will always be your family, Spike, and I love you.” She knew things were bothering him and reassuring him of his status in her life would be the best thing to do at this point.

Spike decided to give her a hug and just smiled with one tear in his eye. Twilight knew it was best to not interrupt these moments and knew of Spike’s sensitivity in these situations so she just smiled back. The moment they shared was more important to them than anything that had happened in the last couple of days surrounding this dragon. It felt peaceful, but they were still on edge about the silence surrounding Fluttershy’s cottage. They both looked at each other as they finally heard some noise from behind her door.

The door swung open quickly, revealing a yellow pegasus pony with an orange dragon draped on her back, slowly walking outside. Twilight and Spike were astonished at the sight, looking between them and each other.

“Twilight, we have resolved our issues, and the little one here will be staying with me indefinitely,” Fluttershy said with a smile.

Both Spike and Twilight looked up at the orange dragon as he shyly smiled back. At first, they were going to ask what happened, but the look on both of their faces told them all they needed to know. Fluttershy clearly had forgiven the dragon and from the looks of her treatment with him sitting on her back, it was clear that this little dragon meant as much to her as Spike did to Twilight. So the two ponies just stared at each other for a bit, enjoying the peace as the other two dragon’s looked down at their adoptive mothers, wondering when to break the silence.

“Well, that’s great, Fluttershy, I’m glad we can put all of this mess behind us.” Twilight broke the silence the best way she knew how, by stating the obvious.

Again, the four of them fell silent as they all smiled awkwardly, unsure what to do next. The little orange dragon was just glad that Fluttershy did not hate him, so he smiled and looked up at Luna’s sky gently clutching her mane. Spike was still feeling weird after confessing his locked away feelings about his own kind to Twilight, who was busy pondering the similarities on their new friend and her son, and Fluttershy just kept quiet from the silence that was making her too nervous to break it.

“Oh, right. Fluttershy would it be ok if I talk to your… little one privately for a few minutes?” Twilight knew this would make them all curious, but it wasn’t like she had secrets to hide.

“Oh, well, sure, if that’s ok with you, little one?”

The dragon looked over at Twilight curiously and back to his new mother and nodded his approval. He climbed down from Fluttershy’s back (a bit awkwardly, given his height) and walked over to Twilight. Spike climbed down and followed Fluttershy back into her cottage to give them both some privacy. The door shut softly, leaving more silence with the tall unicorn and tiny dragon staring at each other for a minute or two. The orange dragon was growing increasingly nervous, while Twilight was feeling awkward and unsure of how to phrase her statements.

“So… I guess you are wondering why me and Spike left to go read up on dragons.”

“Yeah. If you already know a dragon, why do you need to read about them?”

“Well, that’s a good question I suppose.” Twilight had started slowly kicking around some dirt with her front hooves, trying to think of the best answer. “Well, to be honest, little one, we do not get that many dragons in our pony towns and cities, and other than Spike, I have never gotten a chance to study one.”

The orange dragon crossed his arms. “I don’t think most ponies enjoy the sight of dragons, Twilight.”

“Well, what makes you say that?” Twilight already knew this was not going to end well.

“Most towns run me out before I can say hello, plus all the ponies typically stare at me, just like they stare at Spike.” He paused. “Well, a bit less at Spike, but still.”

“Well, that’s not very nice of them, but it’s because others fear that which they don’t understand. Ponies have very few books on dragons, and that’s because other than you two, they never get near pony towns.” At this point, Twilight knew the truth was the easiest path.

The orange dragon raised an eyebrow. “So you want to study me?” he asked.

“Well, yes, I do. Princess Celestia thought it was a good idea as long as you’re ok with it?” She half expected him to say no but was trying to be nice about it.

“Okay, sure. You can study me.” The dragon shrugged as he smiled and was glad that he was not in trouble this time.

Twilight nearly reared up on her hooves in excitement. “Oh, this is wonderful…wait really just like that?”

The dragon simply nodded, wondering why it would be such a big deal to her, but decided to play it safe and shrug it off. Twilight just smiled back at him as she started to look him over for the first time since he came to Ponyville, but her expression changed to one of pity. She looked down as her eyes started to dart around slowly as thoughts and realizations dawned on her.

“Dragon, what happened to you out there?” Twilight did not mean for her comment to be so blunt, but as she stared at his scars, his false tail, and his unkempt body when compared to her son’s, it was clear that this little dragon did not have a comfortable life.

The dragon had to think about this one, but knew explaining every bad situation out there in the forest would take too long, so he settled for a, “I guess a lot happened in that forest.”.

The smirk that the dragon gave Twilight surprised her, but she figured it would be best to drop it. She would have plenty of time to study him and ask him about his past. For now, it was time to get everypony to bed after a long day.

She turned to the cottage and raised her voice. “Alright, you two, we’re finished talking. C’mon, Spike, say goodnight, and then it’s time for young dragons to sleep.”

The orange dragon couldn’t help but giggle a little at Twilight’s treatment of Spike, who only a day or so ago was treating him like a baby, forcing him to sleep. Spike said goodnight to Fluttershy and him but hugged the dragon for far too long, leaving the orange creature confused. Twilight took note of this and knew why Spike was doing that but decided a talk with him could wait for another night as they both went back to the library, leaving Fluttershy with her dragon to tend to.

“Alright, little one, it’s time for young dragons to sleep.” Fluttershy giggled a little at her comment that made the dragon annoyed.

The dragon shrugged and followed Fluttershy back into the cottage, and to his delight, he saw a small mattress in his room next to a window. “Is that my new bed?” he asked.

“Yes, it is. Now you can see the stars all night long. I hope this is ok.”

“This is amazing, now I can finally get some sleep.” He tested out the bed and smiled delightedly at the comfort in comparison to Spike’s bed design, but then he noticed Fluttershy was staring off into space a bit. “Are you alright, Fluttershy?”

“Oh, yes, little one, just fine, I was just thinking about your purpose here in Ponyville, and I was considering enrolling you in school... that is, if they allow it.” Fluttershy was still lost in thought but knew there were too many “ifs” in this situation.

“I wasn’t very good when I tried to help at school.” The dragon was starting to grow annoyed with all of the ponies' constant terms and phrases that just put him on edge. He didn’t like being pushed into things, and he certainly felt very pushed right about now.

“I know you would like it, I’m afraid there are no dragons but lots of smaller ones your age who would love to be your friend.”

“They didn’t seem too happy to see me when I was trying to help.” He crossed his arms and closed his eyes as he tilted his head upwards.

“Well, that’s because they didn’t give you a chance, but this time will be different. I promise.”

“So Spike won’t be going, too?”

“Oh, well, I guess not, sorry. He was homeschooled by Twilight and is too educated to be put in school.”

He sighed dejectedly but perked up as a new thought occurred to him. “Then can you homeschool me?”

Fluttershy dashed his dreams. “Well, I’m afraid not. Ms. Cheerilee knows quite a bit more when it comes to teaching young minds, and she really is very nice little one. Besides, we are lucky that you can read and write, otherwise, we would have a big problem. I guess you taught yourself how?”

“Uh, yeah, I did. Ponies always drop things when traveling through the forest or near towns I would always find books and other things. That made me teach myself in order to survive.”

“I see, well, we have plenty of books in town if you like to read, but maybe I will talk to Ms. Cheerilee tomorrow and see what she thinks.”

The dragon just sighed and gave her a weak nod as she draped a blanket over him, smiled, and wished him a good night. When Fluttershy was out of eyesight he started gazing up at the stars through the window, pondering. It was bothering him that all these things that came naturally to ponies seemed to freak him out. He could stand up to manticores and giant spiders out in the forest, but he couldn’t stay calm when thinking about going to school or talking to other ponies. He again clutched his amulet to his heart as he continued to gaze at the sky and he gulped, willing to give in to Fluttershy’s wishes for him to attend school. He would probably give in to anything at this point as long as she smiled.

Fluttershy was doing some pondering of her own as she stared at the same sky in her bed, thinking about her new guest. She knew it was far too soon to see him as a son, but according to Twilight it only took her a week to love Spike unconditionally when she was a little filly. She knew school was best for him if he was going to survive this town with his sanity intact, but she also knew that despite his survival skills he lacked much in the way of social ones. Having no name would also prove something difficult to get around and she doubted very much that any of the children would take him seriously if he just went as “Little One”. She hoped that Cheerilee had some suggestions and would not put up too much of a fight against enrolling the first dragon she had ever taught.

The dragon had more trouble getting to sleep, though not from any physical discomfort, but from his brain. He kept thinking about this town and all the ponies that had not kicked him out, with Fluttershy being the nicest and closest friend with Spike being a close second. Twilight, although mean at first, clearly had his best interests in mind. Pinkie Pie was just weird, but he was glad that she kept her distance. Rainbow Dash also seemed to stay away from him, probably more out of guilt from knocking him out. Rarity was nice enough and made him some weird clothes, but also cleaned him up without his permission which annoyed him. Finally, that left Applejack, who was probably never going to forget his attempts at stealing her apples.

What made him feel relieved was the fact that neither Ponyville nor Canterlot had kicked him out of town, most just stared at him but it was still better than unwanted attention. He still preferred the calm of the forest, even when something mean went to attack him he could deal with it. But when he had to talk to these ponies about himself it made him feel less confident in his abilities. The one thing that he had always wanted, to just walk into a town without being attacked was finally in his grasp and he still felt nothing.

One restless night later...

Fluttershy woke the sleeping dragon and quickly noticed that he was extra cranky. He had bags under his eyes and even his scales looked a bit dull. She shrugged it off and she assumed he was still getting used to this new lifestyle and decided to make them some breakfast. While she cooked, the dragon noticed several smaller animals coming in and out of her house, and, not really wanting to start anything, he decided to read some of his books while he waited. Fluttershy made herself some fresh eggs and, thanks to a little tip from Spike, had prepared a few things for the dragon, including some gems in a bowl.

“Alright little one, we have eggs and orange juice, oh, and some nice gems for you to eat.” Fluttershy hoped this would cheer up her little friend, as Spike definitely seemed happier after a nice bowl of gems.

The dragon’s brain was having trouble comprehending what she just said as he stared at the bowl of gems curiously. “Why would I eat gems, Fluttershy?”

This caught her by surprise, but she responded politely. “Oh, well, Spike always eats them, and come to think of it all dragons enjoy gemstones. Have you never tried them before?”

“No. I wear one, remember? And you don’t see me eating it,” he pointed out.

Fluttershy had to admit he had a point. “Well, maybe if you try one you might like it. I would never ask you to eat the one you like, though.”

The dragon sighed and looked back at the bowl as he studied the gems. They looked too pretty to try and eat, and he was starting to think that Fluttershy had lost it. But he didn’t want to disappoint her, so he picked up a red-colored one in his claw and twirled it around slowly, comparing it to his own warm gem. He popped the gem in his mouth and instantly regretted it as he tried to hold back his stomach contents. Claws firmly over his aching stomach, he spat the gem back out on the floor and let out a few hacking coughs, trying to get the bad taste off his tongue.

“Oh, little one, are you alright? You really did not like the gem?” Fluttershy was surprised at his reaction.

The dragon just looked back up at Fluttershy with his usual worried expression and shook his head ‘no’ as fast as he could.

“Well, if you don’t like gems then that’s not a big deal; it just means more for Spike.” She winked at him and offered a smile which he returned, but now not even Fluttershy could deny that this dragon was certainly different. She continued, “Until we find you something that’s just as tasty, why don’t we enjoy our eggs, and then I have a few things to do in town after I tend to the animals.”

“Can I come with you?” he asked hopefully.

“No. That is to say... it’s a few private things I have to take care of, but I will be asking one of my friends to look after you.”

The dragon sighed, not looking forward to being forced to stay with more strange ponies instead of helping Fluttershy. He shrugged it off again and after breakfast decided to do more reading while he waiting for his surrogate mom to leave him with somepony new. His reading was mostly of novels and fiction, he wasn’t too interested in the history of Equestria. That bunny was still helping Fluttershy with her animals, but at least now he could tolerate him without freaking out. After a few hours into the early morning Fluttershy had finally finished and placed the dragon on her back as they left for the day.

“Alright, little one, I will be leaving you with Rainbow Dash today. I shouldn't be gone for too long. Hopefully this time she won’t knock you out.” This caused the dragon to flinch slightly, then giggle a bit when he saw her playful smile.

The small dragon was perched safely on Fluttershy’s back as she set their course for a clearing that was near Rainbow Dash’s cloud home. Sure enough, Rainbow Dash was waiting impatiently. The dragon noted that she also looked slightly nervous.

“Finally! What took you two so long?” Dash asked, with just a hint of annoyance in her voice.

“Oh, well, sorry Rainbow Dash, I will be gone for a few hours, just please look after him. Maybe you can try and take him around Ponyville and introduce him to some other ponies.”

“That’s what I was planning on doing. No weather duties today, and I’m bored to tears, so I might as well do something.”

“Well, good. I will be back soon. Goodbye, you two, and be good little one!” She flew off in the direction of the town, waving one of her hooves in farewell as the dragon stared back longingly.

Rainbow Dash just stared at him while the orange dragon did not take his eyes off the town. There was a long awkward moment, as neither of them wanted to break the silence. Dash took the opportunity to study the dragon, paying special attention to his scars, his amulet, and his false tail.

“So I think we got off to a bad start, uhh... little one,” she said, rubbing the back of her head nervously.

“Well, you did knock me out.” He had no anger in his voice, but he was still a bit annoyed.

“I’m sorry okay, sometimes I can get caught up in the moment when I’m practicing.”

“It’s fine.”

“No, it’s not fine. I want to make it up to you.” This time she smiled warmly at him.

“What do you mean?”

“Well, I was going to show you around town by introducing you to other ponies so you can make more friends.” She wasn’t sure if this would be making it up to him, but she was determined to try.

He knew she was trying to be sincere, but the thought of being paraded around town to meet everypony in a few hours made him quite nervous. His claws twitched a bit and he wasn’t sure how to proceed. Finally, he went with the truth.

“Rainbow Dash, I don’t want to do that.” It was a simple fact he was stating, so it did not make him feel bad, but he was still somewhat apprehensive of her reaction.

Rainbow, though, understood. “You get nervous when around other ponies, don’t you?” She sat down next to him and locked eyes with the dragon. Dash had a small smile on her face, but she knew this was going to be one of those awkward conversations.

“Yes, I do, I always wanted to just walk into a pony town and not be kicked out. But now that it’s finally happened, well... I really just want to head back to the forest.” He sat down as well, just looking morosely at the grass.

“Well, there have to be some ponies that don’t make you nervous, right?”

“Yeah. I really like Fluttershy, and Twilight and the princesses are really nice! Oh, and Spike! He’s cool.” He smiled warmly as thoughts of Spike crossed his mind again.

“Do I make you nervous?”

He looked up and noticed that she wasn’t angry. He just saw curiosity, and so he figured he would be safe answering honestly. “I guess, a little; are you mad?” He flinched a bit waiting for an angry yell.

“No, I’m not mad at all. Why don’t we just sit here for a while and get to know each other?” She knew that being calm was out of character and she felt weird hearing that come out of her mouth, but right now she knew she could do this since the dragon’s nerves were on edge. One doesn’t merit the Element of Loyalty without making a few sacrifices for a friend.

“Well, sure. Okay, what do you want to know about me?”

Rainbow Dash had to think about this and figured talking about his physical characteristics might strike a nerve. “Well, okay, I’ll start with that amulet you keep wearing. I mean, I thought dragons loved to eat gems or something.”

The orange dragon snorted. “Yeah, apparently all dragons but me like to eat gemstones. I tried one this morning and it was nasty. And the amulet is something I found one day in the forest. I don’t remember where; I just remember being really young. Before I had it, the forest was a pretty scary place. I mean, I was barely surviving out there; but the amulet always seems to give me confidence. I know it’s strange, but the heat it radiates just gives me courage or something. Whenever I feel scared or alone I would take it out and just feel better inside.” He was blushing at this point, having shared this personal detail, and Rainbow Dash was eyeing his amulet now with more than curiosity.

“So it’s like the hat that Daring Do wears on all of her adventures! That’s cool, little guy!”

“Who is Daring Do?”

“Oh, she’s a fictional character from some books I love to read... it’s a long story. But the way I see it, that amulet of yours is something special to hang onto.”

“Yeah.” The dragon figured it was her turn to share. “So how do you live in the clouds? It seems impossible or something.”

“Impossible?” Rainbow chuckled. “Pegasus ponies weigh next to nothing, so it’s not that hard. Plus, we’re born with a sort of passive magic that allows us to manipulate the clouds, the weather, and of course, being able to stand on clouds without falling through.” She was just smiling at this point, hoping to bring him out of his shell.

“Can dragons walk on clouds? I mean, I know Spike and I don’t fly, but I know most of our kind can.”

Rainbow raised a hoof to answer… and then dropped it. “Well, that’s actually a pretty good question. We’ve never tried to put Spike on a cloud before, now that I think about it.” She was scratching her mane at this point, struggling for an answer.

“You know what, Rainbow Dash? I don’t think I want to find out, I would rather not fall through a cloud.” He giggled a bit at the thought, which caused the tension between the two to thin out a bit.

“That’s probably a good idea, little one, oh and you can call me Dash.”

“Okay Dash, hmm… Do you know what school is like?” Now that they were ‘friends’, he was trying to get some information from her.

Rainbow suddenly realized that she wasn’t sure how to answer this one, either. “Well, us pegasus ponies go to a flight school when we are really young. We learn how to… uh… fly and stuff. That’s actually where I met Fluttershy.”

“That’s cool, so you made a good friend while in school?”

“Well, sure! I mean, school can be annoying sometimes, you have to go every day except on the weekends. You have to keep up with work and learn quite a bit and also have to deal with bullies. But as long as you make a few good friends, it should seem a lot easier.” Rainbow Dash emphasized every point with a somewhat dramatic wave of her hooves, but the motions just made him confused.

“What do you mean by bullies?”

Yet another question Rainbow wasn’t expecting. “Well, there will always be other ponies in school that are just mean to you. Your best bet in those situations is to ignore them and focus on what you’re doing.”

“Uhh, okay then. But you said I can make more friends?” He raised an eyebrow and hoped for a positive answer.

“Oh, absolutely,” Rainbow said, sounding much more confident than she felt. “I mean, at first they might find it a bit odd for a dragon to be in the classroom, but all you have to do is just be as friendly as you can be, and eventually they will open up.” She knew how mean other foals could be, and knew that while he would likely meet a few of those, there were plenty of other nicer ponies for him to meet, too. “So, are you ready to head into town? I’m sure you can make some friends if you just try.” She was smiling sincerely at this point even as she stood up and gestured for him to get on her back.

The dragon considered this and then came to the conclusion of, “Well, what have I got to lose?” He climbed onto her back, wrapped his claws gently around her neck, and as soon as he did she flew up and sped off towards the town.