• Published 30th Sep 2012
  • 12,772 Views, 649 Comments

Spike's Nameless Brother - Cold Spike



When a strange creature wonders onto Applejack's Farm he gets caught up in the town of Ponyville.

  • ...
27
 649
 12,772

Chapter 22: The King's Orders

“I… don’t recognize him.” Chrysalis said, cocking her head.

“How could you not?” Shadow wondered aloud, then paused. “Come to think of it, he doesn’t look that ancient...”

The changeling queen hummed for a few moments, trying to come up with a response. “Maybe their policies for changing leaders has changed. I could have sworn it was after death they get a new one.”

Twilight’s ears perked up. “You mean they elect a new one?”

Chrysalis laughed. “Elect? More along the lines of, ‘whoever caused the king to fall, gets to be king’.” She drew a hoof across her throat to emphasize her point.

“That is completely barbaric!” Rarity exclaimed.

Chrysalis shrugged. “Those were the rules last time I checked.”

“When was the last time you checked? Centuries ago?” Spike asked sarcastically.

“...Maybe.”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Spike, how’s it going with that map?”

The dragon had not let the letter and map out of his sight since they had left the cave. “Still says to keep going on this path, but we should take a right when we see a-”

“Fork in the road, we know,” a few of the ponies finished in unison.

Spike had insisted on being the dragon in charge of the map. Shyfrost, to his right nudged him. “Mind if I look at it? You did say dragons only, you know.”

Spike took his eyes off the map several times to look back at him and then sighed. “Fine, but only you.”

He gently took it and began inspecting sections of it. After a while, the sections began to run together and he realized that almost nothing made sense to him.

“You okay, dude?” Spike asked.

“Huh?” He gave the map back. “Yeah, just a weird map to me.”

“You mean the language it’s written in?”

Shyfrost nodded.

“It’s an older form of Equestrian,” Spike explained. “Twilight taught it to me, I could teach you sometime when we're not on this crazy adventure sometime.”

He smiled. “Sure.” He then noticed that his friend’s grin had not wavered once since they left. “You seem really happy about something.”

Spike whispered into his ear. “Dude, we were sent on a mission from the dragon king! That couldn’t be any cooler!”

He frowned and whispered back, also wondering why they were whispering. “We didn’t even know who he was until an hour ago.”

“Well, no; but now we do! We finally got to see some dragons and talk to them! It’s what we wanted!”

He smiled back. “True.” That had been their original intention, and they had finally achieved it. That being said, the threat of Canterlot’s destruction and the princesses falling from power was more important than thinking of their accomplishment.

They reached the fork and took the right path. The path leading ahead looked almost exactly the same, but on each side of the path were metal constructed cylinder shaped lanterns hanging on wooden posts. They all stopped, wondering just why they would be there in the first place. Sometimes paths were lit by lanterns when near a city or town at night, but often they would follow a consistent pattern. In contrast, the two lanterns here seemed almost randomly placed. Spike frowned and looked at the map and note he was given, but at first glance he saw nothing mentioning markers on the path like the lanterns.

“Uh, Twi?” Spike started poking Twilight in the shoulder over and over.

She batted his claws away. “I see them, Spike.”

Scootaloo walked around the one on the right. “Maybe we’re supposed to light them?”

Twilight frowned down at her. “We don’t know anything about this territory. These lanterns could be meant for a signal… perhaps the dragons use them as beacons for warnings? They could do fly by’s like the pegasi and -- Spike! What are you doing?!”

Spike blinked a few times after leaning away from the lantern on the right, which was now burning with a bright brilliant orange flame. “What? Relax, Twi! Look, there’s even a message!”

He was pointing to the glass now surrounding the flame. There indeed was a message, revealed by the flickering light.

Rover looked at it suspiciously. “I am not the only one who can’t read that, correct?” he asked for reassurance.

Twilight shrugged. “It’s certainly not Equestrian. Uh, Spike, can you read it?”

Spike looked at her as if she was crazy. “I can only read one language, Twi,” he pointed out, “and you were the one who taught me.”

She nodded. “Yes, but I kind of figured that perhaps the dragons enchanted it so only dragons could read it…” She blushed when she realized her little theory sounded too much like something out of a simplified adventure novel.

“It says: ‘Council Meet...’ or something like that; it’s been a while since I’ve seen this language,” Chrysalis said nonchalantly.

“I don’t see any council, or dragons, or anypony!” Dash exclaimed. She flew up high in the air for just a moment, as if to confirm her suspicion, and then landed a moment later. “This place is dragonless!”

Rarity stepped forward, poking the other lantern a few times. “Twilight… do you have any spells that light fire?”

Twilight looked over to the lantern that wasn’t lit, and then back to the one raging with fire. She nodded and cast a simple spell while Rarity opened the tiny door for her. Both lanterns reacted immediately, snuffing out instantly.

“It’s only meant for dragon fire?” Sweetie Belle guessed.

Twilight nodded. “Looks like it.” She looked to Spike, who seemed almost ready to light both without permission from her, but still he waited. She smiled. “Alright, so-”

Taking that as his signal, Spike jumped into the air and blew out fire to both lanterns. Everyone jumped when a single tune started to play. It was a quick melody and when it finished, the room was silent. Anyone who was not currently flying in the air, however, started to lose their balance as the earth below them began to tremble. They looked over and saw the side of a cliff literally split in two at an impossibly fast speed. When the split was finished, revealing the entrance to a dark cave, the same chime from before played out.

Fluttershy sighed. “What is it with dragons and dark caves?” she meekly asked.

Twilight decided to go first, she started walking… and stopped short. It felt as though she were hitting a wall of solid air, as illogical as that seemed. She experimentally placed her hoof at the entrance of the cave and felt an invisible forcefield pushing her away no matter how hard she pushed. The others tried, but were no more successful. Spike walked up and stuck his foot into the cave. He was not hindered.

He turned around, a cheeky grin on his face. “I guess it’s dragons only again.”

Twilight scrunched her nose. Somehow, Twilight could sense he was having great fun with this.

Shyfrost followed him inside and turned back. “Uh, should we just go inside?”

“What does your map say?” Twilight pointed to it in his hands.

He flipped it over and frowned. “It kind of stops here.”

“Then, I suppose you should,” Twilight nodded.

Fluttershy instantly flew over, only to hit a barrier and fall back onto her butt. She called into the cave anyway. “Shyfrost! If at anytime you're in danger, please, please run back here!”

Shyfrost flinched at the desperation in her voice. “Um, I think we would do that, yeah. Sounds…”

“Sensible?” Spike offered. Shyfrost nodded in agreement.

Twilight smiled at them and waved them off. Fluttershy was busy hyperventilating, but only a little bit.

As they started walking, they came across a torch hanging on the wall. Spike grabbed it and lit it, and they continued to explore the cave.

“Hey, Spike? How come the Dragon King wouldn’t know a protection spell, anyway? You’d think he would be really smart or something…”

Spike was silent for a while, mulling it over. “Maybe they’ve never needed one before. The king didn't seem all that freaked out though. I dunno…”

They got quiet again, their steps and the burning of the torch was the only noise for a few minutes. The mystery of what they would find was eating away at them. Would it be a council of dragons? Or was this the wrong place to explore? Maybe at the end of this cave there was a eldritch abomination that fed on dragons? Spike himself did not hold much confidence in a map, even if a king gave it to him. He doubted very much that Shyfrost felt any different.

Eventually, the cave ended, but it didn’t end. Though the cavern texture ended, the tunnel continued. Furnished floors and walls lined the room, along with several doors and already lit torches.

The first thing they noticed were the doors. Each one had a number on it, just a number. Spike checked the map all over, but found no hints or legend that would describe the numbers. He was beginning to doubt even more that this was the right place.

“Let’s check a door!” Shyfrost exclaimed without warning, and he reached for the nearest door handle.

Spike panicked and tackled him to the ground. “Stop! We don’t know where they lead. We don’t even know where this is!”

“The sign outside said council…” Shyfrost pointed out.

Spike stretched out a claw and helped him up. “Yeah, but need I remind you that a weird insect queen, who is half insane, translated that sign?”

He frowned. “I don’t think she was insane…”

“Whatever. Maybe we should just…” He trailed off as he was greeted by the sight behind them; there was no longer a cave hole, but solid rock. There was no longer a way out at all!

“Huh,” he said. He wanted to go into shock over that of all things, but what really sent him over the edge was a door creaking open. His heart pounded in his chest quicker and quicker.

“It’s just a staircase,” Shyfrost said.

Spike was not comforted. “Shyfrost, this place is creeping me out. We should go.”

“Go where? We’re sealed in,” he pointed out, and Spike could only nod in response. Just to make sure, Spike tried to walk through the wall, but found that it really was rock..

“Strong magic…” Spike muttered, rubbing his snout.

“Only way is up, or through another door.”

“If we die, I’m haunting you and also Discord,” Spike said bitterly.


“Dee, do you think some anti-ghost magic is in order?” Discord asked, swirling a glass of chocolate milk around.

Dee glared. “Don’t be stupid, ghosts aren’t real. Except in summer.”

“Hmm,” Discord concurred.


Spike nervously led the way up, clutching his torch with his claws tightly. It didn’t help that the wooden pole was getting shorter and shorter as the flame burned. After a while, they both grew exhausted from the everlasting staircase, and Spike simply tossed the torch aside as it burned out. A while later, the duo found themselves climbing the stairs on their claws and knees.

“L…” Shyfrost trailed off and took a few deep breaths. “Look, a door!”

Spike snapped out of his daze, he felt ecstatic to see something other than stairs. They stood up, Spike helping Shyfrost to a standing position. The door had a single thing embedded on it reading simply ‘Council’. Spike shrugged and knocked a few times.

Silence reigned for about three whole minutes. And then…

“Come in…” a very bold but very scratchy sounded voice called back.

Spike opened the door and the two led themselves in. The new room that was revealed simply made no sense to either of them. It was big; colossal, even. Now that they thought about it, the staircase made no sense either; surely there would be some kind of tower that could be seen from the outside. Spike knew this kind of room would be pretty difficult to hide.

Speaking of difficult to hide, there was a large number of dragons, seated around a very large wooden table. Each seemed bigger than the King.

A rather chubby red colored dragon was staring at them, his red irises never moving.

“Uh, we--”

Before Spike could say anything else, Shyfrost interrupted.

“Why is it so hot in here?!” The young dragon was panting hard still.

The large dragon studied the two, his neck reaching over them as he narrowed an eye. “Ah, flightless drakes. You walked down here, didn’t you?”

“D-down?” Spike scratched his head and looked back at the door. To his utter confusion, the staircase now led upwards. “What?!”

The dragons chuckled. “Since we have not seen you two before, we are going to assume you were not told of this structures many illusions, no?”

They simply shook their heads, Shyfrost was still panting. Meanwhile Spike felt quite comfortable.

“I thought not. The staircase you found yourselves on actually lead you down, it is a lot warmer here underneath the planets crust. We are very far down, actually.”

“But…. but, walking downstairs shouldn’t exhaust us! That makes no sense!”

“It is enchanted to trick the senses. I’m sure you are not that exhausted?”

“But I am…” Shyfrost insisted.

Spike pondered it and realized something. He would usually take trips with Twilight. Whenever he went somewhere strange or new, it was with her. He would always ride on her back for long trips on foot. While it was true he and Shyfrost had been traveling this whole time, in the last day he had failed to take even one break. He figured Shyfrost was probably worse off. “Heh, maybe it was our fault…” he admitted.

The dragons looked on curiously.

“We didn’t rest that much,” he explained.

“An unwise choice in this land, especially as of lately.” The red dragon then took his seat.

“Right, so my name is Spike and this over here is--”

Immediately, a blast of ice came out of Shyfrost’s mouth. Spike noted that it seemed more like he was throwing up. A large clump of ice was soon sitting on the ground, the drake wasted no time in laying on top of it. The ice started melting a bit, but not much. “This feels nice…” he whimpered.

“--Shyfrost.” Spike finished, his claws smacking his head in annoyance.

“How did he do that?” A golden scaled dragon asked from the back.

“I’m a Frost Dragon!”

“Where you cursed by Discord?!” The red one suddenly asked, his eyes growing fearful.

Shyfrost shrunk in place, the ice suddenly melting faster as if the dragon’s fear had made the room hotter. “Uh, no? I’ve sort of always been this way…”

The drake visible relaxed at this. “I… see. Is there any reason you two are here?”

Spike blinked and then grinned. “Oh yeah! King Pyro sent us here!” He showed the big red one the scroll and waited for him to read it.

“Ah, a simple spell request form.” The dragon gave the scroll back. “I have it right here, next time you two should probably use our dragon mail system. It would have been much easier?”

“The what?”

“Simple blow dragon fire over the scroll, just outside near the Council sign. It would have sent the scroll to us and I could have sent the spell back to you. King Pyro gave you directions, see!”

The dragon pointed to a place on the scroll. Spike grabbed it and noticed a piece of the scroll had folder over the extra message from the king, explaining just what the red dragon had said. Spike could not smack his own head hard enough.

The red one chuckled. “I’d imagine walking down here, while under the illusion spell would be quite the chore. Most of us simple fly down the middle of the stairway.”

“Uh, but we can’t use magic. How are we supposed to know the stairway was like that?” Shyfrost asked.

A blue studded dragon stood up. “Can’t use magic? You’re dragons! Of course you can use magic!”

“Uh…” Spike scratched the back of his head. “I can send letters with my fire to other ponies, that’s the only magic I know of.”

“To ponies?” The blue one asked. “Fascinating, you can direct letters to whomever you want? Or to just ponies? I’m a tad confused…”

“Where do you two live, by the way?” the red one asked.

“That’s kind of a long story…” Spike said, but figured, since they were down there anyway…


“Fascinating indeed, living with ponies your whole life. You didn’t even know of any dragon spells! Very sad, now that I think of it.”

“Yeah well… Twilight said she didn’t know too much about dragons. You guys don’t exactly visit pony towns that much,” Spike pointed out.

The red one chuckled. In the course of the conversation they had learned his name was simply Red, but Spike assumed it was a nickname. “This Twilight sounds quite interesting, too. Anyway, those starting materials and books should help you learn about your inner magic. I… admittedly don’t know what will happen when your younger friend tries them out, but it can’t be helped. First case I’ve ever heard of a ‘Frost Dragon’, after all.”

Shyfrost shrugged amicably.

“Luckily for you, our lands are close enough so it shouldn’t be too much of a hassle to visit. That is, if you want to know more of your magic in the future.” He shifted. “But we have taken up enough time. You should really get that scroll back to the King.”

Spike chuckled. “Right, sorry. It’s just that I don’t get to talk to too many adult dragons.”

“Fair enough.” Blue spoke, though come to think of it they never got his real name either.

“So, uh, how do we get out of here?” Spike had given up on understanding their little hideout. They had tried to explain its many enhancements, but he got more lost than the time Twilight tried to explain multivariable calculus. All he got from them is that they were designed to keep others who visit moving forward, and never back. The reason behind this, he had no clue. Some weird defense mechanism.

“Dragon mail should do the trick. Its easier than teleportation, after all; at least, on things your size.”

“Uh, what?” Spike did not like the sound of that, but before he could protest, the dragon had started to puff out his stomach. Green colored fire enveloped the two, blinding them. The temperature changed dramatically, going from very warm to mostly cold. The brightness dimmed and they found themselves outside. Spike’s many scrolls and books remained tucked safely in his claws.

“Spike!” he heard Twilight call out. He saw Fluttershy there too, and the rest of the group off to the side simply waiting. “What happened?! How are you back so quickly?!”

Spike, feeling quite shocked that dragon fire could teleport living things as well as letters, said nothing for a moment. Then he looked at his scrolls and equipment. “I have got to learn how to do that!”

Twilight blinked. “Do what…” She trailed off, a pensive look on her face. “Did you two just teleport?” she asked incredulously.

“Yeah, it was dragon magic!” He quickly ruffled through the scrolls he had, ignoring the others’ staring. “Dragons can use magic and stuff! Look!”

She furrowed her brow, then read over his scroll. “Spike, I can’t understand a word of this.”

“I know, isn't it great!” His cheeky grin did nothing but made her glare. “Heh, its the Dragon Tongue. The Council gave me a dictionary to help translate,” he explained smugly.

“Council…” She looked back to the scroll. “So by reading these-”

“We can use magic!” Shyfrost cheered. “Uh, I think…” His voice trailed off, mumbling something about Frost Dragons and being unsure.

Fluttershy looked like she wanted to comfort him, but Rainbow flew down between them. “So, did you get the spell… thing?”

Spike shrugged, and then nodded. “Yeah.”

“Finally! Lets get out of here, so boring!” Rainbow whined, throwing her hooves up exasperation.

Scootaloo ran up and repeated the same motions. “Yeah! It’s boring!”

Rainbow looked down to the filly. Even she had to admit that Scootaloo sometimes acted like a tiny version of herself at times. It felt weird.

Fluttershy coughed. “I think that’s a good idea, The king probably needs that.”

Twilight's eyes widened in horror, looking at all the knowledge that Spike possessed. “But-”

“I’ll tell you what happened on the way, Twi. Let’s start walking!”


“So all of this time, dragons could use magic like unicorns?” Twilight had never questioned Spike’s ability to send letters with his dragon fire. He knew that he could only do it to one pony at a time, but never even imagined that his fire possessed magic beyond that. She did remember the princess telling her that it was her doing that bound the two. Well, it had been; she had removed that and bound herself to Spike’s link.

“Yep! The Council even said we can come back anytime! Isn't this great, Twi?!”

Twilight chuckled, she had certainly never seen the drake quite so happy before. She was also happy that Spike and Shyfrost had finally found dragons to speak to. Even if that was partially why they ran away in the first place. If it wasn't for the fact that Canterlot was in danger and the princesses were lost, she would be just as ecstatic.

They came back to the cave entrance from before, Rainbow looked to Fluttershy. “Do you need me to push-”

“No, no,” she sighed, “I’m getting used to this, I think.” She was, of course, referring to the fact that they kept coming to places that were quite out of her comfort zone.

They walked up to King Pyro, who was still busy with his scrolls. Spike walked up to him and then coughed.

The king turned around and smiled. “Ah, Spike. You have the scroll, I trust?”

“Uh, y-yes sir!” He saluted, figuring it was the right thing to do, and then plucked it out of his tiny collection.

“Good… give me a moment.” Before any of them could question why, he quickly grabbed the scroll and unfurled it. He then turned around and slammed it onto the floor. Spike and Twilight circled him, watching his face. His eyes started to glow, not unlike Twilight when she overexerted her magic. The red color was a bit frightful, but they continued to watch.

“Uh...Twi, are his claws supposed to… do that?” She looked up, confused and gasped. Fire. That was what she saw, but unlike regular fire this kind didn’t seem to scream danger. He was using magic, she could sense it even if she barely understood how. It was then that she noticed something, something that hadn't been there earlier. It was a massive chalice of some kind, brimming with fire. Not the red colored like the King was managing, but simple orange. Spike noticed this as well.

“Hey! We saw one of those at-”

He never finished his sentence, and after what happened he couldn’t have finished it anyway.

A booming noise was sent from the dragon’s claws, his red tinted fire shot forth to mix with the one found in the chalice. The noise was deafening, Twilight didn’t understand why any spell would need to make so much noise, but there was nothing she could do about it. Thankfully the spell wasn’t blinding, they saw fire shoot straight up from the chalice high into the air. They saw other streams shooting towards the flame, each a distinct color. Twilight could recognize it anywhere, it was the formation of a shield. While she herself could form some shields, she knew it was her brother that excelled at them.

The different colored fires formed to make a massive sphere over the land, mixing the colors which eventually settled on an alabaster colored fire etched shield. The noise died down and the king sighed heavily. A moment later he turned around and grinned. “Thank you, Spike and Shyfrost, your determination to reach The Council has helped protect my realm.”

Shyfrost was too busy staring up at the shield, transfixed by it. Spike simply nodded and spoke. “You’re welcome, King Pyro. That…. that was amazing!”

He nodded. “It was necessary if the ‘Lord of Chaos’ has returned.”

Twilight coughed, getting his attention. “Actually, there is another… spirit of disharmony, too.”

The king closed his eyes, sighing once more. “I see. One is bad enough. Our defenses are up, though; do you ponies or others have a plan?”

Twilight nodded. “Shyfrost, I need your amulet,” she said softly. Reluctantly, he gave it up. She looked around, and wordlessly made the same request. All complied.

The king eyed her and waited for her to lay them down on the ground. “These… artifacts were supposedly made by a Dragonlord. I- we were wondering if they could help us fight Discord and the other one, Dee.”

His eyes narrowed on them, that lasted for about three seconds. He instantly sprang to action and ran behind them, jumping into a pile of scrolls. It reminded Spike of a certain filly he once knew that loved scrolls and books more than anypony ever should.

“I’ve read of those before!” he called from the scrolls, his voice nearly shaking the ground. “At least, I think they are them.” He emerged again, clutching a withered looking parchment. He unrolled it. “The Unity Trinkets, designed by hmm… seems to be worn off. It does say they were meant to be used by a chosen of each race to help unify the various races, specifically during times of great peril or war.”

Fluttershy, against her better judgment and fears stepped forward. “Um, chosen how?”

“It simply says chosen; but that does not surprise me, though. This was written so long ago, at least, given the style it seems to have been written during a simpler time. Not much was documented well during those times. If I had to guess though, the magic in the trinkets probably choses its ‘wielder’ based on certain requirements.”

“Does it say what each one does?” The only prince of the group inquired.

“No.”

The group groaned, but the king paused.

“However, it does say how to activate them in order to contact the leaders of Equestria. That is, if they still work.”

Twilight scratched under her chin, looking at him. “Okay, how?”

He handed her the scroll and she read it quickly under her breath. Twilight took the scroll away for a second, then quickly went back to reading. “That’s all? Just speak to the artifacts, like a microphone? That’s uh… okay.”

Shyfrost looked down to his amulet, shrugged and then spoke to it. “Hello?”

The King smiled down at him. “It would seem I heard that, although not from your voice.”

Pinkie Pie was hanging off to the side with Rainbow Dash, and actually yawned despite her usual upbeat attitude. “Fascinating,” the pink mare said, “but how does that help though?”

Everyone in the area looked up to watch a hawk fly down, aiming for Fluttershy. It did a quick dive and gracefully pulled up before landing at her hooves.

Fluttershy knelt down. “Did you find her?”

The hawk squaked loudly in response, making the mare back up a few steps. Fluttershy nodded and turned to face the rest of the group, including the king. “Um, would you all mind if you stepped back? And perhaps turned away?” She asked timidly, then she turned to the king. “Um, you too…” She barely got out.

They all did so, even the king and waited. A few scratching noises could be heard, followed by another squawk and the flap of some wings. Fluttershy examined the floor and found two distinct symbols, that of the moon crescent and another of a buffalo all though crudely drawn. Twilight walked back to examine it and smirked, then she turned back to the king.

“You asked about a plan?” He quirked a brow at her, or what she thought was a eyebrow.

She also hesitated, wondering if it would be rude to ask; but with Equestria at stake a little rudeness could be risked. “Do those wings of yours work?” she asked, smiling up at him nervously. He flapped his a few times and nodded.


Aside from the Sonic Rainboom, Dash had never flown so quickly before. The air going through her mane and tail felt exhilarating. Her laughing and giggling were lost on the wind, and nopony else could hear it. The three fillies were bundled together for warmth, looking just like a massive hairball of different colors. Fluttershy had her head buried in her hooves for fear of falling, a fear that was unfounded since they were all tightly strapped together.

The rest were simply waiting, doing their best to not let the cold get to them. Each flap of the king’s wings sent gushes of winds through their hair or manes. It took about a half hour, but the air started to feel warmer and the sun started to seem brighter. They had reached the desert, if the bits of sand in Rainbow’s eyes were anything to go by. Cheap goggles, she thought bitterly.

It didn’t take long for the pegasus mare to figure out what the dragon was doing. He was sweeping over the desert, looking for anything out of the ordinary. Rainbow had to shut her eyes a while ago; her “Official Wonderbolt Goggles” weren’t really doing their job correctly. This is why she felt surprised when they started losing altitude quickly. .A loud thump and an end to nice cooling wind meant they had landed.

“Get back, you spawn of Discord!” The distinctive voice of Princess Luna screamed out. “Discord, if you are listening this will not be… Twilight?!”

The vast majority of them were getting off the dragon and staring at the princess. She was truly a sight, her mane and tail were a mess and there was hardly a spot on her that did not have sand.

Twilight wasted no time. “Princess Luna! Hold still!” The mares horn flared and the bindings holding her down were shattered in mere seconds. Her horn sparkled again, aiming at the horn nullifier, but then it fizzled out a moment later. “Huh?” Painted crudely on the horn were the words: Lick Me To Open.

Spike narrowed his eyes on the nullifier, ignoring Luna’s gaze. Then he perked up. “Don’t worry, I got this!” He saluted, much to their confusion… and then he promptly spit onto the horn. Even though it worked and the magic nullifier dissolved into nothing, Spike knew that Twilight would never, ever let him hear the end of that for the rest of his days.

Princess Luna took a deep breath and sighed. “Thank you, Sir Spike. We must…” She trailed off when she noticed a certain other dragon offering her an ice pick.

“You just looked thirsty…” Shyfrost said.

She nodded and smiled, conjuring up some magic to melt said ice and feed it to herself. “Thank you as well. We must find my sister. But first… who is that?” She pointed directly to not the dragon, but the Queen of the changelings.

Chrysalis nodded. “Huh, so that’s what the better princess looks like.”