• Published 28th Dec 2022
  • 370 Views, 9 Comments

Sweetie Belle Meets Mr. Widemouth - King of Madness



Sweetie Belle meets a little creature who wants to make her better.

  • ...
1
 9
 370

Don't Trust Him

Sweetie Belle sighed as she looked herself over in the short full-length mirror leaning against the wall. The sound of the pouring rain outside tapping furiously against Rarity's Boutique was fitting music for her mood. It had so far been a very boring day for the little filly; her sister was very busy at work and Sweetie's offers to help were just 'getting in the way', it was too rainy to go out and play, and Apple Bloom and Scootaloo couldn't join her anywhere. Boredom was poison to any young pony, but it was especially bad for Sweetie Belle as it forced her undistracted mind to dwell on things she really didn't like to think about.

Alone in her room while her sister worked downstairs, Sweetie had tried to entertain herself. She tried practicing her magic; she had thought that she had been getting better at it, but she kept fumbling the spells she attempted. It was very frustrating for the filly; most unicorns her age were perfecting multiple spells whilst she continually struggled to get a decent grasp on one. The best she could do was levitate things which was kindergarten level.

In a huff, she had decided to make some plans for what she and her fellow Crusaders could do when they were all together again. She wrote down several ideas, but found them disappointing and scribbled them out. Scootaloo and Apple Bloom were much better at figuring out what the trio should do. For all they treated themselves as equals, Sweetie Belle had to admit to herself that she felt less equal than the others. After going over a few more plans in her head and finding them to be dumb when written out, she bunched up the paper and threw it away.

Soon, Sweetie found herself looking in the mirror she had set up against the wall. She had looked herself over; she had posed to show other sides of herself to find a better angle. She had tried on a few outfits and put on some makeup she had snuck from Rarity's room. No matter what she tried, she just didn't look good. She didn't understand it; she had watched her sister's routine, everything she did to pretty herself, but no matter how much Sweetie replicated it, she just wasn't pretty like Rarity.

Looking herself in the mirror, Sweetie could only see a filly that wasn't good enough. In her depressed state, she almost didn't see the movement under her bed. Unsure if she was imagining things, she turned around and saw a small creature crawl out from under her bed. "What the-?!"

The little creature made a calming gesture with his clawed hands. "Don't be afraid; I didn't mean to scare you."

Sweetie Belle looked over the creature. He was a small, furry thing with big ears and eyes, and a mouth that stretched across his whole face. "Ehh, w-who are you?"

"Me? My name is Mr. Widemouth, because you see, my mouth is wide."

"What were you doing under my bed?" Sweetie Belle asked, being perturbed by the creature's sudden appearance.

Mr. Widemouth looked down bashfully. "I'm sorry. I was looking for a place to get out of the rain. I thought if I stayed under a bed, I wouldn't be bothering anyone."

Sweetie Belle's nerves settled, feeling sorry for the little stranger. "You really didn't need to hide; my sister, Rarity, would've let you in no problem."

"Oh, but she looked so busy. I didn't want to get in her way." The creature explained.

Sweetie Belle sighed. "Yeah, I know what you mean."

"You're name is Sweetie Belle, right? I thought I heard Rarity call you that."

"Yep, that's me."

"Well, I'm sorry for troubling you, Sweetie Belle." The creature fidgeted like a child who knew he had done something wrong.

"Aww, don't worry about it." Sweetie said comfortingly as she approached the pitiful little creature. Getting a better look at the stranger, she felt compelled to ask. "What kind of creature are you, if you don't mind me asking?"

Mr. Widemouth seemed confused by this question. "I'm... I'm me."

Sweetie raised an eyebrow at the odd answer.

The creature shook his head. "Again, I'm sorry for imposing and for scaring you. I would've stayed hidden under the bed until the storm passed, but you seemed sad." The creature's ears twitched and he paused. It sounded like someone had entered the boutique. Probably one of Rarity's customers, Sweetie thought. "Are you sad?"

Sweetie shrugged. "Well, yeah. Just thinking about stuff."

"What stuff?"

Sweetie shook her head. "It's dumb."

"Things that make you sad aren't dumb." Mr. Widemouth asserted. "I saw you looking in the mirror; is you reflection bothering you?"

Sweetie sighed and looked back at the mirror reflecting both herself and the little creature. "I just... I don't feel like I'm good enough."

"Good enough for what?"

"Just... not good enough." Sweetie struggled to explain. "I mean, I'm not good at magic like other unicorns my age, I'm not a leader like Apple Bloom and Scootaloo," Sweetie didn't notice the creature twitch at her friend's names. "And I'm not pretty like my sister." The filly sat down, looking to the ground. "I'm just... not good enough."

Mr. Widemouth patted the filly's shoulder. "Oh, I see. You feel... Oh, what's the word?"

"Inadequate?" Sweetie offered.

"Oh, yes, that's the word."

Sweetie chuckled. "My friend's say I'm like a talking dictionary."

"Well, isn't that something to be happy about?"

"I just know a lot of words; not really much to make me feel better."

The creature tapped his chin as if in thought. "I think I see the problem."

Before the creature could continue, the door to the room opened. Sweetie looked up to see her sister in the doorway. "Sweetie Belle?"

"Hi, Rarity, did you need something?"

Rarity's eyes shifted as she took a quick look around the room as if looking for something. "I was just coming up to check on you and see if you need anything. Sweetie, do you have a friend over? I thought I heard someone else."

"Oh, that was-" Sweetie Belle looked to her side to find Mr. Widemouth was no longer there. "Mr. Widemouth?"

"W-What was that, darling?" Rarity asked, Sweetie not seeing the look on her face.

Sweetie crouched at her bed and peeked under it. There was Mr. Widemouth. The little creature held a finger to his mouth in a shushing motion.

"Did you say 'Mr. Widemouth', Sweetie Belle?" Rarity asked as she approached her little sister.

Sweetie looked up from under the bed and to her sister. "I-umm... Yes?"

Rarity looked under the bed.

Sweetie looked with her sister and saw that Mr. Widemouth was gone.

Rarity stood up and gave Sweetie Belle a look that the filly couldn't decipher. The older sister's eyes flickered around the room once before letting out a nervous sounding laugh. "Oh, Sweetie, you and your imagination. I'll call you for lunch in a few minutes, okay?"

"Uhh, okay?" Sweetie was too confused to ask questions.

Rarity hesitated at the door before closing it. Once the hoofsteps faded down the stairs, Sweetie turned to see Mr. Widemouth peeking out from behind a box of Sweetie Belle's old toys. "Why did you not want Rarity to see you?"

"I'm worried she might make me leave." Mr. Widemouth explained as he returned to Sweetie's side.

"Rarity's not like that."

Mr. Widemouth seemed to ignore this. "Anyway, as I was saying, I think I know what your problem is. You feel bad about yourself because you lack confidence."

Sweetie raised an eyebrow. "You think that's all it is?"

The creature nodded. "Yes, that's exactly what it is. All these feelings of being inferior and inadequate are because you have no confidence. You can't better yourself if you can't believe you can."

Sweetie Belle pondered this. It made perfect sense. She thought she remembered Rarity saying something similar in fact. Could all this really be fixed just by bettering her self-esteem? "I guess that makes sense. So, how do I become more confident?"

"Oh, it can be a tricky thing to do." Mr. Widemouth explained. "I've had many friends like you who felt they were no good; that they weren't talented or smart or pretty. When you have that image of yourself, it can be very hard to fix it. In fact, some never do." The creature smiled. "But I know a way to fix it and it's very easy."

Sweetie Belle brightened at this. "Really? What is it?"

"It's a potion, like the zebra, Zecora, makes. All you have to do is drink it and you'll be filled with confidence. And once you feel better about yourself, you will be better. You'll be stronger, prettier, cooler; everything you've ever wanted to be. And you will never feel so awful about yourself again. All you have to do is drink the potion."

Sweetie Belle was ecstatic at this prospect; the thought of never being tormented by these feelings again and becoming the young mare she so desperately wanted to be was almost overwhelming. And to think, all it took was a potion. She didn't know why she didn't think of asking Twilight or Zecora about making such potion before. She supposed she was too embarrassed to share these feelings or perhaps she just wanted to pretend they weren't there. But now, it could all be fixed. "You would really do that for me?" She asked with tears in her eyes.

"Of course, anything for a friend." Mr. Widemouth said kindly. "I'll go get the potion ready right now. I can give it to you while your sister is out; then you can surprise her with the new and improved you."

"That sounds perfect! Thank you, Mr. Widemouth!" Overcome with joy, she wrapped the creature in a tight hug. She didn't see the smile on his face.

After a moment, Rarity called Sweetie Belle down for lunch. Sweetie skipped merrily down the stairs and into the kitchen, her once miserable attitude vanquished by the excitement of her new friend's confidence potion. She greeted her sister happily and sat down to enjoy her meal. Next to her plate of homemade sandwiches, she found a letter covered in Rarity's writing as well as a pencil and blank piece of paper. She looked to Rarity who quietly gestured to the letter.

Sweetie Belle read it.


It wasn't until the next day that Mr. Widemouth returned. With the rain of yesterday giving way to bright sunlight, Rarity had stepped out to get more supplies. Not long after she left, Sweetie Belle found Mr. Widemouth waiting for her in her room.

The creature smiled at Sweetie as he showed her the vial of mysterious liquid he held. "I got the potion all ready."

Sweetie Belle hesitated as she stepped towards the creature. She gulped as she eyed the potion.

Mr. Widemouth narrowed his eyes. "What's wrong, Sweetie Belle?"

"I'm just, uh... I guess I'm just worried that the potion might not work is all." Sweetie Belle looked to her open window as a light breeze came in.

"Well, that's why you need the potion, right? To get rid of these feelings and replace them with good feelings."

Sweetie laughed nervously. "Heh, y-yeah, I guess you're right."

Mr. Widemouth smiled in a comforting way. "All you have to do is drink this potion, Sweetie Belle, and I promise, all your troubles will be over." He held out the vial.

Sweetie Belle stole a glance at the window. She and Mr. Widemouth were currently each on one side of the window's vicinity.

"Go on, take it." Mr. Widemouth urged, an undertone of impatience in his voice.

Sweetie Belle took two small, deliberate steps back.

Mr. Widemouth's face contorted into a snarl for only a second. "What's wrong? Just take the potion."

"M-Maybe I would feel better if you took a sip first?" Sweetie offered.

Mr. Widemouth struggled to keep his smile. "I-It's not for me. Just take the potion!" The creature stepped closer to the filly.

"Okay, okay!" Sweetie relented as the creature stood directly in front of the window. "I'm just nervous is all." Lighting up her horn, she took the vial from Mr. Widemouth.

The creature smiled as she uncorked the vial.

Sweetie's stomach knotted as she got a whiff of the poisonous concoction.

Mr. Widemouth was so focused on Sweetie Belle, he had no idea that Rainbow Dash was flying through the window until she was upon him.

Sweetie dropped the vial, whether on purpose or in surprise even she wasn't sure, as Rainbow Dash pounced on the creature and slammed him against the wall. Sweetie had never seen a pony look so angry.

Rainbow pressed her forelegs against the creature's throat. When he snarled at her, she punched him so hard Sweetie thought the creature's head might cave in.

"Sweetie Belle!" Rarity cried as she burst into the room, relived to see Sweetie unharmed.

Sweetie trembled slightly as Rarity picked her up in a hug.

Mr. Widemouth glared at the filly but was caught by another hard blow from the enraged pegasus.

"You're gonna pay, you sick little demon!" Rainbow hissed at her captive.


Sweetie Belle was surprised to see Apple Bloom and Scootaloo waiting outside with Applejack. The three fillies embraced as the guards took the battered Mr. Widemouth off Rainbow Dash's hooves. The three mares stood by their little sisters while the guards tied the creature's hands together.

When Rainbow Dash had heard what had happened at the Apple's house, she had a feeling it was connected the the strange creature Scootaloo had told her about. Rainbow and Applejack had discussed the incidents and tried to think of a way to catch this little monster. Realizing that, with Scootaloo and Apple Bloom already targeted, Sweetie Belle was most likely to be the next victim, the two had gone to tell Rarity about it all and their plan to catch the elusive Mr. Widemouth. Rarity immediately went to tell Sweetie only to find Mr. Widemouth had already introduced himself to her. Not wanting to clue the monster in to what they were planning lest he escape and continue his murders, Rarity kept quiet and communicated with Sweetie through notes until the next day where everything was set.

Rarity hated to leave Sweetie Belle alone with that monster, but Rainbow assured her that she wouldn't let him hurt Sweetie Belle and the filly herself wanted to do her part to bring the creature to justice. All she had to do was get Mr. Widemouth in front of the window she had deliberately left open for Rainbow Dash to fly through and keep him focused on her was Rainbow could grab him.

Scootaloo had been staying with Rainbow Dash since the incident at the cliff, terrified that Mr. Widemouth would come after her again. After the incident at Sweet Apple Acres, Scootaloo visited Apple Bloom in the hospital and both told what they could to their sisters. Learning about their sisters' plan and Sweetie Belle's involvment, they both insisted on being there for Sweetie. And so, Applejack stood outside with Scootaloo and Apple Bloom as Rarity stepped outside the boutique and waited for Rainbow Dash who herself waited for the right moment to catch Mr. Widemouth.

As the guards put Mr. Widemouth in the back of the holding box of the carriage, he looked back at the fillies who had escaped him. He gave them a pitiful little wave with his bound hands before the doors shut and locked on him.

None of them waved back.

Comments ( 9 )

Is this the story where Mr. Widemouth is finally destroyed?

Only one comment? Well, now, that won't do. This may not be a "great" story by itself, but it's a satisfying conclusion to a fascinating trilogy. Far too many of Fimfic's multi-part stories are incomplete.

Have a Spikestache.
:moustache:

11832847
Thanks, glad you enjoyed the story. :twilightsmile: I probably would've written it as one story if I had intended to write one for each of the CMC from the start, but when I thought of Scootaloo Meets Mr. Widemouth, I didn't know if I wanted to continue it or not.

11832879
I understand completely. That one gets awfully dark at the end.

11833011
Well, the first one's ending was meant to mirror the dark twist of the original Mr. Widemouth creepypasta, so.

11833351
One of my favorite creepypastas. :pinkiehappy:

This trilogy has me conflicted.

On the one hand I'm happy that this scary little creepo was caught, on the other, I feel that the final note of 'Happy Ending' goes against the spirit of the creepypastas that created that demon.

Above all, good stories.

11864295
Well, not every creepypasta ends on a downer note.

Glad you enjoyed it overall.

Login or register to comment