• Published 8th Oct 2022
  • 566 Views, 5 Comments

The Princess' Right-hand Mare - Glitterb0mb



(Regency Au) A Princess in an arranged marriage begins to fall for her suitor's right-hand.

  • ...
1
 5
 566

Prologue

Author's Note:

Kinda dark and sad but I promise the rest of the story isn't like this!! Also, first work in the MLP fandom! Well, first work since I was 8 but that probably doesn't count...

“Twilight I… Cannot apologise enough… This is the only way to stall the Storm King until we find a way to ‘take care’ of him. The fate of Equestria is in your hands!”

Celestia’s speech echoed in her mind as she walked down death row. The front garden, once a place of peace and bonding with her idols and friends, will now forever be tainted with the sight of the Storm King’s guards ready to steal her away from her old life. Her best friends solemnly stared on the side of the path. Twilight had asked them not to come, having already formally said goodbye, she didn’t want them to see her like this.

Once a strong figure of Friendship and Magic, now nothing more than a marionette being pulled forward by the hands of fate.

The two sister’s stood at the carriage, talking to their driver, who had a few grey looking ponies in chains in front. How cruel… Luna was the first to notice she had walked up to them, tugging on her sister’s sleeve to get her attention. Both their faces filled with what Twilight could only describe as grief. “Do you have everything?” Celestia asked softly, eyes darting to and from Twilight and the carriage. Twilight assumed the answer she truly desired was, ‘no’, so she could spend even a moment more with her. To dance around in their castle, to drink tea in the garden and feed the fish in their pond. Anything more, like the 19 years together wasn’t enough. And it wasn’t.

Luna cupped Twilight’s jaw, wiping the tears from her cheek. “Twilight, I wish I could have know you for longer, to be with you side by side. But, please remember, I’ll be with you in your dreams.”

Celestia cupped her other cheek, and Twilight had never seen her less composed. She would never cry. She would scream, she would panic, but she would never cry. Even now, she didn’t but it’s clear she wanted to. To put down the mask and facade of a strong leader and be a big sister. That’s not a luxury she’s afforded. “And I’ll be with you every time the sun rises. And every time the sun’s light hits your cheek, those are my kisses, my hugs. So please, don’t ever feel like you’re alone.”

Pinkie Pie was the first of her friends to pipe up. “And whenever you hear a funny joke or attended a massive party, I’ll be there!” She forced her usual, joyful tone through gritted teeth.

“And every time you wear a new outfit, or find yourself enchanted by the glistening on jewellery, I’ll be there.” Rarity pulled out her handkerchief, which was embroidered with her cutie mark, to wipe away her tears.

“And whenever the weather’s clear or you see a rainbow, that’ll be me!” Rainbow dash was dressed in formal wear, and in more muted colours than she usually wore, as a sign of respect.

“And every apple you taste that reminds you of home, that’ll be me…” Applejack was in her granny’s old frock, much like Rainbow Dash, she didn’t want to wear her working clothes out of respect.

“A-and every time you hear the bird calls in the morning, I’ll be there.” Fluttershy stuttered out as Angel pressed into the side of her front leg.

Her brother and step-sister, Starlight, the Cutie Mark Crusaders, her young students, Zecora, Big Mac, Trixie, Sunset Shimmer, Discord, Thorax, Bon Bon, Lyra, Vinyl Scratch everyone. They couldn’t do anything but cry, or look longingly at the ground.

Twilight wasn’t as strong as Celestia. Her feelings poured out her as she screamed and cried. “I’ll still miss you all, so, so much. You’ve taught me all so much…” She hyperventilated. Apart of her was grateful, that she didn’t run away and abandon her duties. That she would have doomed everyone here to an eternity of war. She was surrounded by so many ponies, she had never felt more love as she was left gifts, letters, hugs. Fitting goodbye for the martyr of friendship.

She shook herself free of everypony and walked up to the carriage, lifting her suitcase and gifts onto the many extra carriages that locked onto the front. Placing a hoof onto the stairs, the chauffeur unlocked the door. She swallowed the lump in her throat as she looked down, and then looked out. Back at the castle, her friends, her family, her home.

“Goodbye”

And head hung, she stepped into the carriage.

---

"She's mighty pretty, isn't she." The Storm King held a golden framed portrait of the Princess.

"Yes, my king." Tempest stood in the middle of the grey, marble throne room. Her voice seemed to echo out and dissolve into nothing before even reaching her superiors' ears.

"Come on, don't look so down trodden. You're being relieved of the duties that put you on death's door step everyday. I'd kill to hang out with that girl all day."

She snorted. "Well I'm not you sir, and I believe that this is a down grade and insult to my abilities."

The Storm King paused for a second, taken aback by such a snappy response. "I suppose that's right..." A shiver ran it's way up her spine. "You are a very, very powerful soldier, despite your unfortunate accident." He said as his eyes narrowed in on her horn. "But, my knight I do have one question..." The king swooped up his staff in his hand before pointing it towards Tempest, "Who do you thing was the one to help you grow those abilities, you ungrateful mare!? Who was the one to see a pathetic, little, creature and see potential!? I could have left you to die out there but I took pity on you!" His scratchy voice bounced off the wall, voice echoing across the whole castle.

Tempest did not flinch, not a muscle moved, perfect posture. "I am sorry sir. I was out of line."

The King turned around to look up at a portrait of himself, that was hung above his large throne. Almost like he's compensating for something. "You better be. This is the most important job of your life, that mare is the key to the whole world. Once we're together I am entitled to the whole of Equestria, and its magic... Oh I'm getting excited, oh my I need to get a tailor in to sew her wedding dress! You are dismissed, but do fetch my writers so they can pen a message to the most talented tailors out there! Thank you!" That last syllable was drawn out in a sing-songy tone, which made Tempest sick. What a buffoon... But, if he was a buffoon, so was she. She was the one in-debted to an idiot... She turned around, posture perfect, and trotting out. "Oh! And remember! You'll be getting on that carriage to bring my princess home tomorrow. Act nice, will you?"

"Yes sir..." She said through gritted teeth.

Comments ( 5 )

Shouldn't this have the AU tag? Just saying it in the description isn't enough.

Her brother and step-sister, Starlight, the Cutie Mark Crusaders, her young students, Zecora, Big Mac, Trixie, Sunset Shimmer, Discord, Thorax, Bon Bon, Lyra, Vinyl Scratch everyone. They couldn’t do anything but cry, or look longingly at the ground.

Woah! Everyone is here to say goodbye to her? ( You forgot to put her parents. And is "step-sister = Cadence? And her "young students" = Young Six? )

Wait a second!? If Discord, Sunset, and Starlight is here, why didn't they just solve this problem themselves? Or why didn't the Young Six ask their own kingdom leaders to be beneficial allies in this war? The Storm King CAN'T fight multiple kingdoms and various allied species ganging up on him.


I doubt they will just give up Twilight like that. This can't be the "only" solution here?


Unless you made Storm King too OP or immune to their power from some reason? Or they are too chicken to fight him personally?

I kinda love it so far. Keep up the good work! :twilightsmile:

11388167
Yeah, I didn't notice it when I was adding the tags :facehoof: , thanks for mentioning it!

11388336
So… when’s the next chapter?

Login or register to comment