• Published 17th Jul 2022
  • 235 Views, 0 Comments

Bottom of the Barrel - Applefai

  • ...
 0
 235

A Helping Hand

Berry Punch coughed and gagged as she held her hair back with one hand, the well-dressed man in front of her smiling blissfully as his pants laid around his legs.

After about fifteen minutes the man then gets up and pulls up his pants, securing them with the button and zipper before taking out his wallet and throwing down a small number of bills to Berry before walking out onto the street from the dark alley where they were as he looks back. "Thanks, slut, same time next week?" He said with a devilish grin as Berry uses a puddle of water to clean her mouth.

Berry nodded and gathered up the bills, weeping softly as she counted them. "Nineteen, twenty, twenty-one.." She continued to count until finally, she counted up to twenty-five dollars, she softly smiled as she brought out an empty tin of cashews and dug out more bills, she hastily grabbed the only other thing she had which was her I.d, and went to the liquor store.

Walking down the aisles she picks up a bottle of red wine and goes to the cashier. The cashier asks for an I.d and she hands it to him.

After he confirms her age he hands it back and bags her wine. "That'll be twenty bucks, Ms. Pinot Noir." he says while Berry gives him the money.

Walking out of the store Berry goes to a restaurant and buys her thirty dollars worth of food and brings it with her. She returns to the alley and begins drinking and eating. She softly sobs as she does, looking at her crude cardboard box she curses herself for letting it go this far.

Berry soon jumps up, hearing someone coming, she hides in her box and peeks out only to see brown boots.

"Berry, is that you?" A familiar voice asked.

Coming out to see who it was, Berry was met with green eyes and a face with a five o'clock shadow, the sun glistened off his glasses and his brown cowboy hat protected his eyes from the sun's rays. "Applefai?" Berry asked, looking for confirmation.

"Yes, what in the world are you doing here, don't you have a house?" He asked only to be met with sad silence.

Looking down in shame, Berry teared up. "I live here, i-i was so desperate for booze, that I neglected to pay my mortgage and they kicked me out." She said, starting to cry. "I make a few bucks by offering sexual favors from this alley, only to spend it on THIS!" she says, getting more frustrated with herself as she threw the bottle of wine against a wall and openly sobs into Applefai's shoulder.

Applefai just patted her back, holding her close. Her body was cold, it was clear she had enough warmth to keep her alive, but not enough to keep her warm.

"I can't just let ya live like this, grab what ya need and come with me." He said, causing Berry to smile and wipe her tears.

"A-are you sure, Applejack won't mind?* she asked, gasping for air.

"Not at all, but that's because it's my house that we built next to the farm." Applefai replied as Berry got her food and I.d.

When they arrived, Berry walked in carefully as Applefai put his house key in a bowl. "Make yerself at home. Can I get ya anything?" Applefai asked as Berry sat down.

"Nah, I'm good, but thanks anyway." Berry said as she looked at her I.d.

"Might I ask what that is?" Applefai asked as he took a seat by Berry.

"I don't mind. It's my fake I.d, I got it when I turned 15. I know I shouldn't hold onto it, but it does have memories. I used it to buy my first drink." Berry explains as she looks at it.

"Ah, the start of it all huh? Applefai asked as he looked at the name. "Why did you go for the name Pinot Noir?" He asked curiously.

"I just thought it was a clever name, so I went with it." As Berry looked at the card, her eyes watered up. "God, do I wish I could stop drinking like this." Berry said as she began to cry again.

As she cried, Applefai just rubbed her back before a knock came at his door. "I got to go get that, would you like anything?" He asked.

"Juice if you have it." Berry replied as she wiped her nose on her dress.

Applefai went into the kitchen and got Berry a glass of cranberry juice and gave it to her before opening the door.

When he opened the door he saw Rarity standing there. "Hey Applefai, just thought I'd drop by."

Applefai smiled as he invited Rarity in, the two kissing each other when she entered.

"How are you doing, Rarity?" The farm boy asked.

"I'm good, I just thought maybe we could go out tonight." The seamstress suggested.

With a smile and a sigh, Applefai hugged Rarity. "I would love to, darling. But I need to find out how to help my guest." Applefai said as he motioned to the den, revealing Berry Punch sitting on his couch.

"Goodness, is that Berry? I haven't seen her since graduation." Rarity exclaimed, shocked to see her.

Applefai took Rarity by the hand and brought her outside of his house. "I found her today in an alley in the street. Rarity; it's terrible, she was living in a box. As soon as I came up to her she started crying."

Rarity gasped at hearing this. "But what happened to her house?" She asked.

"They kicked her out when she defaulted on her mortgage, she kept buying booze, she was drinking a bottle when I found her." Applefai replied.

"Oh, dear. Wait, how did she pay for it?" Rarity asked.

"Rarity, she's been doing sexual favors for money." Applefai informed her.

Rarity gasped as she looked at the door, knowing Berry was behind it. "Applefai, she needs help." The seamstress said as she looked back at Applefai.

"I know, she said she wishes to stop, but I know she needs help. I think I could help." Applefai said.

Rarity shook her head and put a hand on his shoulder. "Applefai, I think deep down you know you can't, you know she needs to go to a professional." Rarity said as Applefai nodded.

"You do know me well, don't you?" Applefai asked as Rarity grinned.

"We've been dating for a long while, I should know you." Rarity replied as she kissed him. "I'll come by tomorrow, maybe we can go on our date then." Reality said as she left.

Applefai then went back into his house. "Berry, finish your juice and grab your stuff."

Berry looked saddened. "W-why? You said I could stay here." Berry said, lip quivering a bit.

"I did, but if you're really serious about wanting to quit, you know what you must do." Applefai responded as he got his car keys and house key.

"Why can't you help me? I saw you drink before I lost my house, you seem to know." Berry pleaded.

Applefai sighed as he looked at her. "I can only tell you to trust God, a higher power than yourself, but to also believe in yourself that you can control it. I may have a few drinks and maybe more on occasion, but I always try to control it." Applefai approached Berry and helped her up. "I think you should go, I'll drive you and walk in with you, but you need professional help, I'm smart enough to know that." Applefai said as Berry teared up and hugged him.

"I just don't want to appear weak." Berry said.

Embracing the hug, Applefai stroked her back. "You aren't, you already admitted you have a problem, and that's the first step." Applefai said as he wiped away a tear from her eye. "It takes strength to admit you're weak, and I know you can do this and turn your life around." Applefai said as Berry smiled and got the little stuff she had.

"Ok, I'm ready." She said as she and Applefai left the house and drove to a rehab center.

Applefai walked in with Berry and helped her check-in, waving at her and wishing her good luck as she was escorted to a room and given a hot meal.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment