• Published 23rd May 2022
  • 239 Views, 3 Comments

A Lost Mosaic - DeathFox4



What are Mosaics? They're a collection of broken pieces that tell a story. What happens when you lose a mosaic? You piece together the missing pieces one by one.

  • ...
 3
 239

4. The wind blows

I landed on the clouds, my magic flickering as the teleport faded. I glance up, looking around for a moment to get my bearings before I make my way to the Cloudsdale cloud factory. I ignore some of the surprised glances coming my way, knocking on the door to the factory as I wait.

The door opens slowly, revealing a yellow pegasus mare in her work outfit. She gasps for a moment as she notices me, stammering for a moment. "P-princess?! We weren't expecting you, we're."

"I'm not here for the inspection." I give her my best smile, trying to disarm the mare of her nerves as I think. "Do you know where I can access the historical records for the weather?"

"Oh! Princess, they're across the city, the library houses the records."

"Thank you." I mutter politely, my magic flaring as I cast the teleportation spell. I had never seen the weather records in the Cloudsdale Library, so to hear it was there a surprise.


I walk quietly into the library, making my way towards the head librarian. I had been in here several times for various purposes, but she would know where the records. I clear my throat as I paused. "Excuse me? I'm looking for the weather records." I whisper, the mare barely pausing in her reading as her ear flicked.

"The weather records are classified on a need-to-know basis. What is your need?" She mutters, turning the page in her book as she continues to read intently.

"Scientific research for an archeological study." I replied, expecting her to get up and let me in.

"Where is your study?"

"The Everfree forest. I'd like to have the records-"

"Everfree forest records are a higher security clearance than the surrounding town of Ponyville." She turns the page. "Your need-to-know is sufficient for Ponyville, but I'd need a security clearance for the Everfree Forest."

I let out a sigh. "Is PRINCESS high enough clearance?" I hiss out, clearing my throat to contain my frustration as the mare finally glanced up at me.

"For the Everfree..." she trailed off, laughing for a moment. "Well, the Princess can view the Everfree records directly. However, I'd have to bring the records out here, unless you have a need-to-know to access the entire records systems?"

I facehoof in frustration, shaking my head to clear my thoughts. "I may have a need to derive the historical trends to fill in the missing gaps in record keeping. I have to go back from the present a thousand years, and unless the records for the Everfree are complete?" I left the question hanging.

The mare smiles, putting the book down and standing up, walking over to the safe, opening it. She pulls out the key, closing the safe as she leads the way to the records. "No, I don't think those records would be complete. Perhaps if Starswirl had continued his duties of containing the forest, but he disappeared ages ago." She inserts the key, opening the door for me. "Would the Princess like any further assistance?"

"No, thank you." My magic expands over the records, quickly casting a scanning spell to find the Everfree records. "I'll let you know if I do."

I hear a chuckle behind me as the door closes shut.


Author's Note:

This chapter was surprisingly the hardest to write so far. Who knew?

Part 1 to get some update out there.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment