• Published 27th Feb 2022
  • 810 Views, 17 Comments

Sister of the Fallen Loyalty - MistyShadowz



Rainbow Dash's passing had hit hard to nearly everypony she had known, as she meant many things to many ponies. To some she was a captain with remarkable morals. To others she was the most loyal friend they had. And to one, she was a beloved sister.

  • ...
1
 17
 810

Loyalty's Sister


The pouring rain hit against the muddy grounds, creating loud splashes that could deafen a pony if it so wished to. The clouds dim and grey, the mist thick and dull, the rain loud and wet. The ground below was muddy and soaked with rain, the tree leaves hung just barely over the surface. Wind made sure to lift anything not forcibly attached to the ground. Leaves were flying, twigs scattering, and flowers soaking; it was most definitely not a pleasant day for the ponies of Ponyvile. Not a very pleasant day indeed.

However, that fact did not matter to the young mare. Nothing did. Nothing would. Her mind was set, her gears focused. She was going to make it. No matter what it took. She had been taught that by the one pony she looked up to, and even loved, most. The words of the brilliant flier had been ingrained into her mind. "Never give up, Squirt." Four, simple, little words. Four, meaningful, little words.

Trudging through the mucky grounds, and pushing against the powerful winds; she made it. She made it. Made it to the rest place of her one and only idol.

She moved closer, pushing against the wind, she fell to her haunches. Staring at the grey, dim and wet, stone in front of her, emotions, thoughts, memories, and words started popping in her mind.

Emotions she had once thought were long behind her. Thoughts she had wanted to let go. Memories she had never wanted to forget. Words she had been yearning to say for as long as she could remember. All of it came rushing back to her like a broken dam that had been filled to the brink.

She wanted to burst out into tears, scream her lungs out to the point where she lost her voice. She wanted to stomp around in a fit of rage, hurt something, someone, anyone. She wanted to claw her heart out, to cease the pain, to make it go away. But most of all, she wanted to leave and never look back, just so it wouldn't hurt anymore, just so she could never think about the incident that caused her life to spiral. But she knew better. She was taught better.

She could have done something. She could have stopped this whole thing from happening. She had been right there, by her side, and she did nothing? Why did she do nothing? Was she really a coward who let this happen? Who watched her own sister fade until she was no more. She was sat with her the entire time, and she did nothing to help. Did she really have the right to live such a fulfilling life after what she had witnessed? Yes. Yes she did. She was a foal. A young, naive little foal who knew nothing of the real stakes placed before her. She had no right blaming a foal for her misery. She knew better than that. She had been taught better than that. Far better.

Thinking back on all the misadventures both ponies shared, all the dangers she had been shielded from by her sister, hurt. Ponies had told them countless times how close their bond was. It was far tighter than the bond most had with their respective siblings, they'd say. And to that, both would reply confidently, "We're just that awesome."
It was quite well known among the residents how much both ponies adored the rush of adrenaline. And nopony had ever been able to pry that love away from either. Nopony ever bothered. And, even if they did, nopony would ever be able to. Their love had gotten them both in dangerous situations. She was usually the one being saved from said situations, but the older was not excused from the occasional help either.

All of those memories hurt. They hurt deep. At one point in her life, she had once considered forgetting them, making that part of her life a non-existent part. A dark, dark time that had been for her, that fact was true. But the consideration was quickly forgotten off itself. She had, of course, known better. And she still does. Those experiences are what made her... her. Forgetting them was not an option anymore. She had been taught far better than to think that.

Staring intently at the gravestone in front of her, she let a lone tear escape her. It rolled down her cheek, completely forgotten off. That part was credited to the rain, having already soaked her whole body at this point.

She opened her mouth to speak, to let a few of the words and thoughts she'd been piling up inside out, but nothing escaped her. Nothing but a silent groan caused by the hard rain hitting against her fur. Her mouth closed. Nothing was said. All that was heard was the roaring wind sweeping away anything it possibly could, and the deafening rain against mud.

You'd have been strong. She thought. It was true. She really would have been strong. Even if she was cracking on the inside, she would have been strong for everypony else. She would have stuck by everypony she cared for. No matter what. She wouldn't have let anypony down. That's the whole reason the tree of harmony had chosen her as the element of loyalty so long ago. Nopony would ever be able to replace such passion, devotion and compassion. Nopony has been.

"I wish you were here."

Staring at the gravestone, like she had been since she arrived, she sighed. There was nothing she could do. Nothing she could have done. What was the point? Why was she even here? In the pouring rain, just to see a piece of rock? Really? Is that what her life had come to?

"I miss you more than anything."

She was in her teens now, and this incident happened years and years ago. She should be over it. Like every other pony she knew. She was the only one still stuck in the past, unable to move on. Why was that? Why was she still that ten year old filly who wasn't able to prevent the pony she cared most for from passing? Everypony kept saying how it was dumb to live in the past. But she still was. Hadn't she known better? Hadn't she been taught better?

"Please, please-" she chocked on her own words. Her vision was blurry, and she felt her nose begin to run. She was crying? When had she started crying? She wiped the tears away, sniffing to stop her nose from running. She blinked a few times, trying to regain her sense of sight. But nothing worked. Tears kept falling, her nose kept running, and her vision was still blurry.

"I- things are horrible without you!" She exclaimed, throwing her whole body toward the gravestone. Nothing was holding her back anymore. She let herself tear up, and weep.

What a disappointment. Her sister would not be proud of her.

"Everything's been going down hill-" she sobbed, sniffling a little before continuing, "Everypony's saying I should move on... but-" another sob escaped her, "...but, I don't know how! I want to move on, and... and live happily, but I don't know how!"

As though out of pure pity, the wind slowed its pace, nearly wrapping itself around her like a warm winter's blanket. The rain was still pouring with no sight of an end. The slight comfort of wind helped her body relax, not completely, but just enough for words to escape her far more easily.

"I- I don't wanna let you down... I don't want to be weak.... to cry. B-but... I... don't know!" She flailed a hoof in the air, exaggerating her point. "I wish I could have done something! But instead, all I did was sit there! Sit there and watch you die!" She sobbed into her hooves, weeping with no near limit. "I hate going to the hospital now! I hate going there and thinking that I might... I might let some- somepony else down!"

The rain slowed, and nearly reached a state of drizzling. The wind's non-existent embrace tightened, as though it were trying to console her.

"You would have- would have done anything to help! Even break all the rules if it meant you're friend is safe... but- but I couldn't do a thing..."

It was true, very true. Even if it meant going behind Celestia herself to help her friend, she would have. The older mare had been an astounding pony. One which she looked up to more than any other. "I just wish... wish I- I know I was just ten, but... but I could have still done something! A-anything..."

The words stopped coming, all she could do now was cry. Cry until her heart was content. Something she had not allowed herself in doing all this time.

Her fore-hooves covered her face, and muffled the sound of weeping. Slight, incoherent murmurs were heard. None of which could be made out by a foreign ear. Or any ear for that matter.

Something in her - that be her heart, her mind, or any other part of her body, she couldn't tell - felt strange and oddly relaxed. She felt far more at ease, as though she had been carried up to the heavens by a singular cloud. One which was as soft and as fluffy as cotton itself. Her mind felt at ease, as though a massive burden had just been lifted from atop her shoulders.

Through all her sobs and sniffling, she could manage just five little words. Five, meaningful, little words.

"I love you, big sis."


Walking toward the grave of her fallen lover, Applejack found the young filly curled up in a small ball in front of the grave. The filly was soaked in what the farmer assumed to be was rainwater, her mane a mess, and feathers in places all over. The only indication that the small orange little ball in front of her friend's gravestone really was a pony were her soft breaths that occasionally rose her body.

A soft smile creased the farmer's face as she trotted toward the orange filly.

The rain had all but stopped, the wind having calmed down but was not completely out of mind. The sky was grey, but just enough for the world to be lit and bright. Dull, yes. But bright as well.

Applejack stroked the young filly' mane, hoping to provide a slight sense of comfort. "Y'all really are the same." She stated, staring at the gravestone, a little tear reached her eyes but didn't yet fall. "Guess that's just how y'all are... nearly identical." Applejack scooped the filly up on her back, placing a soft kiss on her forehead. She turned her head toward her previous lover's grave, "Love ya, sugar'. I- I guess I'll come back another time." A tear rolled down her cheeks. And yet, her smile remained.

She, along with the small orange filly, made her way out of the cemetery, and to Sweet Apple Acres were both called home.

All the way, Scootaloo retained a soft, content smile.


The End

Author's Note:

Hey Folks

So, this is my first attempt at writing Scootaloo, or just writing in general, in a little bit. Some of y'all may know, I've caught something of a block for writing, and so wasn't able to do anything for a while. But today, out of pure nothingness, inspiration just poofed into my brain, and this thing was made. I honestly am quite rusty at the moment, so if this was rushed, oddly written, didn't convey emotions, or felt out-of-character, I do apologise. If there were places to improve, y'all better lemme know.

I'm also well aware this isn't the most creative nor original premise out there, but it's something to get my mind back into the writing game, and all I could really put together as of yet.

And yes, there is most definitely AppleDash in 'ere.:ajsmug::rainbowkiss:

Anywho! Thanks for readin' y'all! Hope it was worth the little looksie, even with it not being the most original thing:twilightsmile:

MSz Out:rainbowdetermined2:

Comments ( 17 )

Overall I liked this story. Sure, like you said it wasn't the most original premise, but it was well executed enough to make it worth the read. I especially liked the way used the weather to mirror Scootaloo's feelings.
That being said, I did spot a couple typos:

She thought. It was tue.

She flailed a hoof in the air, exxagerating her point.

11165988
Fixed, thanks. Good eye:raritywink:
And about the weather; it's a little something that tied neatly in with the story, adding to the feels a little. I've seen it done before, but never had a fitting opportunity to users. Until now, that is. So, when I saw the chance, I snatched it right up. Glad it didn't go unnoticed
Tanks for reading!

such a sad and beautiful story

Wow, another absolute banger of a story. Again you just hit us will all the emotion in the world and that is why you are great at writing sad stories.

PS: I find Scootaloo to be the most interesting of the CMC to read about and that is another reason this story is great.

Sincerely, DynamicDino

I for one thought this was a great story! Sure, not the most original idea in the world, but you made it unique enough to engage people like me! Plus, it’s not that hard to make me read a story if it has to do with Rainbow and Scoots, I just looove their sisterly bond. It’s so sweet ^^
Anyways, great story! :D

11166115
Aww, thanks! Honestly, I've never considered myself a sad story writer, I mainly stuck with drama, which is probably quite obvious at this point. But, yea, glad I'm getting the hang off sad stories. Maybe one day I can write one that'll actually be tear-worthy, let's see.
I personally feel the same way about Scootaloo. I adore her for many reason. And her wide array of stories, and interesting stories at that, is apart of that. My main thing being her determination even against all odds like her disability. Funnily enough, I was considering to make this one of those stories where she did grow up and end up being able to fly. But I wanted this to fit in with canon, so here we are.
Anywho. My nonsense aside: Thanks you for reading! Glad you enjoyed:twilightsmile:

11166034
I almost cried, when I finished it...

11166130
Glad you think so.
And I agree. Rainbow and Scootaloo have the most interesting of sisterly dynamics, to me, among the entirety of the show, just out of how they ended being sisters in the first place. In simpler words: their both just adorable:rainbowkiss:
Anywho. Thanks for reading!

11166629
Aww, just short of a tear! Maybe next time I can get you to burst by the end? I guess we'll never know, huh?:rainbowhuh:

I liked this story, especially how it explores multiple angles of their relationship, not just a family bond but mentor and student. I really like how it implies with 'taught better' that Dash had served as a moral compass for Scootaloo (and who better to serve as a moral compass)

I also have some errors here I noticed;

"Please, pl-" she chocked on her own words.

One which was as soft and as fluffy as Cotten itself.

Did she really have the right to live such a fulfil life after what she had witnessed?

Nopony would ever be able to to replace such a passion, devotion and compassion. Nopony has been.

11166704
Thanks. Fixed.
And yea, I see them as both rather than just one or the other, hence the story being the way it is. Also, the 'taught better' part was implying just that. A little, thought to go unnoticed, detail, I suppose
Anywho. Thanks for reading! Glad it was worth your little look see!

11167486
Happy to hear you enjoyed:twilightsmile:

I loved this. Even though it made me cry, it was beautiful and very well written. :fluttercry:

Keep up the good work!

:heart: Blue

Login or register to comment