• Published 30th Sep 2021
  • 1,350 Views, 27 Comments

Wait a Second... - Metemponychosis



So, magic has returned to ponies... It wasn't as nice as it should.

  • ...
12
 27
 1,350

Where Is MY Magic?!?!

Late afternoons in Maretime Bay were something special. The beautiful sun painted the sky in shades of orange and red, and the salty breeze from the ocean brought some refreshment from the day's heat. Ponies opened their nighttime shops, and the promenade filled with ponies looking for some relaxation after a day's worth of work. Young couples would meet and maybe drink a smoothie too, admiring the beautiful sunset.

Not so that day. For some reason nopony understood the sun was stuck in the sky and wouldn't move for what seemed as days already. To make things worse, the clouds stopped rolling in and the sky was as clear as it could be. Some appreciated the beauty, but most complained that something was wrong.

Well, Sunny was sure that the smart ponies at Canterlogic would figure out what was wrong eventually. Her mind was clear such troublesome things. She had a nice tutti-frutti smoothie to enjoy along with the company of her friends. Each one of them had a smoothie and a happy grin while they talked. They had been talking, all day long already.

They had come early that evening (the clocks said it was evening) and they had secured her favorite table for them. Right by the cliffside and it was perfect after a whole day of running around. If only the breeze would come already.

It had became quite the ritual every time they visited, but they all had something exciting to tell about their homes and the present problems with the dumb weather and the sun seemed distant.

The pegasus sisters and their mother had been acquitted of any criminal charges as the judges understood that they did not act in ill faith. And that was great! Sunny couldn't bear the thought that her new airborne friends might suddenly be taken away from her. Worse: that they would be denied their freedom after such a great and momentous event as what had happened a couple of months ago.

Izzy usually babbled on excitedly for hours on end about all the great and marvelous spells unicorns started figuring out. Just that day she had showed them her very own and patented crystal color-changing spell. Yes, patented. It seemed that unicorns had started wakening to amazing new talents, such as compulsive bureaucracy. It seemed that spells needed to be properly named, categorized, recorded and given a serial number.

Full of her usual excitement, Izzy recounted all the exciting adventures that entailed. Filling out forms and waiting in lines to register her new spell she had named 'Izzy's Crystal Rainbow Mix-Up. She even gave each one of them a nice bracelet with crystals she had enchanted herself to each represent the color of their friend's sparkles!

Zipp vibrantly explained the great thrills of flight and her plans to revive the fabled Wonderbolts, even if she knew next to nothing about them. She didn't even complain that she had lost all the privileges she previously had. She thought that they were boring and just annoying.

Now that she wasn't a princess anymore she had the time to go out and just be by herself in peace! Sure, her rank as princess would certainly have helped in her goal of reviving the Wonderbolts, but that didn't worry her! She just used her free time from her new job. She had become a clerk at the flight license registry office that the unicorns had installed in Zephyr Heights.

Such a spirited pony, with a wonderful can-do attitude!

Pipp had her phone on her hoof and spent more time talking to the camera in it than to her new friends; although she explained the importance of livestreaming every single one of their meetings. Especially since they weren't royals anymore now that everypony could fly.

Now, Sunny had read on the newspaper (pegasus-mail from Pipp's home town) that she had lost all her followers due that whole scandal, but Pipp assured her those were lies and that everypony still watched her livestreams. She was sure of it because statistics often got messed up.

The only one missing was Hitch, and Sunny didn't know why he wasn't there. Usually so timely Pipp adjusted the clock in her phone by his arrival (since 'the signal' didn't reach all the way from Zephyr Heights... Whatever that meant.) The always good natured and helpful stallion would even bring them something extra to eat.

Well, Sunny was sure he would make it there eventually. Probably something that required his attention had cropped up. But she didn't have a lot of time to think about it anyways. In that fine evening, she was the one talking. More importantly, she had her father's journal and a map Zipp had drawn from her bird's eye in the sky.

She even had a photo of that giant rosy tree they had found in their mission. The location matched with the map and the image. It was a close-enough approximation of something that looked like a tree house from a very old photograph. And that was mind-blowingly exciting! Even if she didn't know what that was. It was a new mystery to pursue and unravel!

"Oh, hi Hitch!" Izzy stopped slurping from her smoothie and waved a hoof at the approaching pony.

Scratch that, it wasn't only Hitch. It was him, Deputy Sprout and Miss Phyllis!

"Hi!" The happy group of pony friends waved their hooves collectively while Pipp turned their back to them and raised her phone to get a better view of all of them.

"Sunny, we need to talk." Phyllis adjusted her glasses and gave the group a concerned stare.

"Oh! Sure!" Sunny giggled nervously, clopping her hooves together. "Did I do something wrong?"

"Well, no..." Miss Cloverleaf showed a concerned frown while the two stallions remained by her sides. "It's just that... Uh..."
"Hum... How do I say it?" The mare's frown deepened and her head tilted to the side with apprehensive glances to the side.

"Where's MY magic?!" Sprout just blurted out.

To what Sunny blinked twice. "What do you mean?"

"Hum... Well... You see..." Hitch started, hoofing anxiously at the cobblestone. "Unicorns can do magic. And pegasi can fly."

"Yes! Isn't it great?!" Sunny nodded with a huge grin.

"What about us?" Her friend concluded with a confused frown.

"What about us, what?" She mimicked his confused frown.

"We don't fly." Miss Cloverleaf offered a hoof she then bent to the other side. "And we can't do magic."

Yes! Sunny's frown tuned to an amused expression with her left eyebrow cocked and a confused grin to herself. That was right. Unicorns had horns, so they could do magic. Pegasi had wings, so they could fly. Yes. What was the problem?

Oh! Yes! She understood! "Wait! I get it!"

She grinned and quickly shuffled through the pages of her father's journal. "I understand! Just a second!"

Then she shuffled some more until she finally found the page she was looking for. She read straight from it. "Aha! The pegasi could fly and the unicorns could do magic, but the earth pony magic was more subtle. Pegasi made it rain and generally took care of the weather, and unicorns used their magic to control seasons and the movement of the sun and moon. All the while, the earth ponies' great contribution was their ingenuity! They were the ones responsible for the great inventions in the fields of industry. All the fields of industry! From farming to great manufactories! Isn't that cool?!"

She stared at them with her chin hanging in a giant and happy smile, but it slowly faded away back into her confused frown. "Hum... What's wrong? Don't you think that's cool?!"

Meanwhile Izzy had grown bored of the conversation and the only ones paying attention were Sunny and Zipp, because Pipp had resumed her routine of vicariously checking her phone for notifications while the unicorn noisily minded her smoothie.

"We were already like that, Sunny..." Hitch told her patiently. So ostensibly patently she could feel the urge to slap his own face with a hoof radiating from him.

"Ah... Yes." Her face contorted into understanding, but she still didn't quite grasp what was their problem with that. "Yes?"

Phyllis inhaled profoundly and then let out a long and drawn out breath. "Let me see if I understood this correctly."

The pink and blond earth pony sat and calmly joined her hooves, closing her eyes, inhaling again before speaking. "You mean to tell me that, before recent events, unicorns could not use their magic. Also that pegasi couldn't fly. Therefore, unicorns could not zap our brains and pegasi could not swoop in and drag us away."

Izzy's slurping on her smoothie suddenly stopped.

Miss Cloverleaf's patient and professorial stare contorted to an angry scowl as her voice rose with every word. "And now, thanks to you, unicorns can use magic, while pegasi can fly!"

Sunny did her best impression of a turtle, trying to vanish behind the table under the older mare's fiery glare.

"While we, earth ponies, have not changed at all?!" Phyllis' voice broke into a screech.

"Well... Uh... I am sure that... Uh..." Sunny rose a fearful hoof from behind the table.

"Now, now..." Pipp broke away from her phone for a second. "Just because we can fly, it doesn't mean that.-"

She couldn't finish whatever it was she meant to say. Sprout scared all the present with a panicked wail. "Oh my gosh! Does that mean that now the unicorns can melt our brains and the pegasi can fly away with us?!"

"Actually..." Izzy started with a raised hoof, but to no avail.

"Everypony panic!" Sprouted shouted at the top of his lungs, running down the promenade with a tirade of rambling screeches about being carried into the clouds and being poked in the eye.

"No! No no no no! Don't worry!" Sunny dropped the journal in her panic, but quickly scooped it up again. At the same time careful not to ruin it and desperately looking for some answer. "I'm sure there's an answer to that! Just don't panic!"

But her pleas went unheard. A horde of earth ponies galloped every which way in the middle of flying tables, smoothies and anti-mindreading hats.

"Girls! Help me out!" She turned to her new pegasus friends, but Pipp went down cold with a face full of green slime.

"Gee... I'd like to help, but I gotta go home. I can't miss my shift at the flight registry tomorrow!" The other pegasus hoofed at her own nape with a embarrassed grimace. "So... Uh... Later!"

She just flew away. But Izzy was still there! "Please say that you can do something about the sun!"

Izzy, with her lips around the straw, simply shrugged. "I dunno... All I can do is change the colors of crystals."

"Hitch!" Sunny turned to him. Trembling lips and glazy eyes. Hooves joined in pleading. "We gotta do something!"

"I'm doing something, Sunny." He pouted at her and slapped hoofcuffs on her legs. "You're under arrest."

Author's Note:

I swear I liked the movie!

Comments ( 27 )

I cannot begin to describe how uncannily unsettling that cover image is…

It'll be nice if G5 explores in-depth what earth pony magic actually does.

10996338
Earth Pony magic was always more passive, expressing as strength and power to make plants and crystals grow. Ingenuity wasn't really Earth Pony magic is was a side effect of thier magic being so indirect, necessity is the mother of invention after all. Earth ponies where them real backbone of Equestria, being able to make food and building materials far beyond their own needs allowing Pegasi manage the weather, and Unicorns to seek knowlge.

I mean honestly the punchline was so stupid that it was perfect

10996516
Sure. But that wasn't what the movie did with them. Other than implying that they got the materials necessary for all the things Canterlogic created out of somewhere, and without magic. Miner and blacksmith earth ponies sounds like a cool concept. If anything, the earth ponies were a threat to the other races.

But this was just a dumb joke I wrote.

10996332
It really is awful. I cropped Hitch out of if, who was in the foreground.

10996985
Well they did a headstart on technology so that did make them the real threading party, but often the most dangerous are then ones most worried a out being hurt.

What....controlling crop production and super strength aren't enough?!

10997593
Yes. True. But the movie didn't mention that.
Don't take this too seriously.

10997593
Well they only just got magic back untill harvest time the crop boost won't be noticed, and untill enough feats of unexpected strength happen no pony will know Earth Pony magic is even a thing. That's the down side of passive power, it doesn't manifest in a way you instantly notice.
Unicorns and Pegasi are now doing something flashy, Unicorn horns glow and Pegasi fly. But earth ponies? Now they can lift and pull heavier things, plants they tend to grow faster and produce more, crystalline structures form easier and faster around them the kind of magic that doesn't draw attention.

10996985
Blacksmithing sounds like the sort of profession that not only Earth Ponies, but also Diamond Dogs and Dragons could get behind. Shame that the G4 writers never tried to capitalize on doing that as a thing. Can you imagine a scene like out of Sokka's Master or The Mandalorian where Spike is hard at work on creating a set of armor or a shield or weapon for his friends on request?

10999044
I mentioned earth ponies, but the truth is that all creatures would have some level of blacksmithing tradition. I prefer to think that they have different techniques. It's very fantastic, but dragons could use molten lava for source of heat (or even their breaths), and diamond dogs might make extensive use of crystals for enchanting items.

In my more serious stories, in the AU, I had old Equestria using a combination of earth ponies for mining special ores, unicorns using magic and concentrated sunlight for forging. Griffons used captured lightning. Modern crystal ponies use a magical tempering that makes a hybrid of crystal and metal that is excellent for holding enchantments. That sort of things.

But yes. It's a shame that G4 never explored that sort of thing.

11000549
I should have put a random tag on that thing.:rainbowlaugh:

11002576
I see. I'm just a bit confused.

11002576
Yes... because most of the first third is unfunny and irrelevant. Sure, Zipp has a job; where is the punchline? True not everything needs to be a joke but the only jokes i could identify were ones done in the movie or the dead horse of "what magic do earth ponies have" commentary from G4.


That part that made me smile? The moon and sun not moving. Opps; Sunny broke something! i can't be sure that it was a deliberate joke; solving that would be a 20k-100k worthy adventure instead.

11029955
The intention was that it worked as set up. A small amount of time passed after the end of the movie and those things changed. The joke in the idea that Zipp has a job is that she got a boring desk job. That clashes with her personality and her aspirations. It was a consequence that she lost her royal status she thought was a problem. Overall, the joke is that they wanted to make things better, but things got worse.

The thing about the Earth Pony magic isn't that they don't have it. The joke is that now the other races have it. The other races would be a threat now. And nothing really seems to have changed for the Earth Ponies.

The sun and the moon is more a sting at the movie, because they shouldn't be moving to begin with. It was a deliberate joke, and I even have a series of ideas in my head about the new friends going out and figuring stuff out. But that isn't a priority.

The whole story is meant to be taken as a joke with a few parts. And a mean spirited one because one would assume that they would all be friends after the end of the movie and that things would work out. I mean, I doubt that Zipp and Pipp will have suffered the implied consequences once the series starts. If it helps, I don't think I'll try to write comedy again.

11030018
It’s definitely a commentary at the least. :twilightsheepish:



Though I recommend taking my criticism (it’s not really critic without some constructive to go with) with a helping of salt. While I get most jokes the vast majority I simply don’t find funny no matter the medium.

11030018
Funnily enough, all of the points made in this story would ultimately be addressed Make your Mark.

11613054
Really? That is a pleasant surprise. What did they do the pegasus royals and who's controlling the sun and the moon? I don't remember if it made it to the story, but who's taking care of dreams?

11613077
1. The sun and the moon move by themselves now (when magic stopped, physics took over and continue to run the process).

2. The Pegasus Royal Family were reinstated as Zephyr Heights' heads of state; Make your Mark and Tell your Tale make clear that Queen Haven was restored as monarch, and her two daughters regained their princess status.

3. Dreams is the only bit they're a bit shaky on, as it's not been discussed in huge detail. However, based on what we know I suspect they aren't being monitored (which may be a good thing on reflection; Luna's watching of dreams always felt a bit Secret Police to me).

Login or register to comment