• Published 6th Sep 2021
  • 1,006 Views, 22 Comments

Pokémon: Merging of Worlds - The reluctant fan



After an experiment to open a direct gate between dimensions goes wrong, the world of Pokémon and Equestria become one.

  • ...
6
 22
 1,006

Chapter 4

Ethan was starting to think he was going to die here, answering this unicorn's questions the rest of his life. He had to say something, quick.

"Can you PLEASE stop asking questions already? You've asked so many that you're just rephrasing old ones and acting like they're different!"

Twilight jumped a little at the outburst, and then blushed when she realized he was right. "Eeheh, sorry. The princess and Spike do say that I tend to go a little overboard with questions sometimes. But I'm just so fascinated by the new possibilities to learn! A whole new world with a whole new set of rules! And all these 'Pokémon' Too! It's just so-"

"You're rambling again."

Twilight caught herself and coughed awkwardly. "Right, sorry. So, uh, is there anything you want to ask me?"

"Well, to start off, who's Spike? I know the princess is Celestia obviously, but I haven't met a Pony named Spike."

"Well, Spike isn't a Pony, rather he's a-"

"Hey Twilight, are you over here? You disappeared all of a sudden and-"

A small lizard like creature came around the corner and froze when it saw Ethan talking with Twilight.

"Huh..? What... are you? Are you that thing Twilight said Princess Celestia was talking to yesterday?"

Twilight laughed awkwardly. "Well, this is awkward. Ethan, this is Spike. He's a baby dragon. I hatched him during my entrance exam for Princess Celestia's school for gifted unicorns. He's been like a little brother to me ever since. Spike, this is Ethan. The princess is letting him stay here in the castle for the time being so that we can learn more about each other and our different cultures."

Spike looked confused for a moment before he widened his eyes. "Wait, aren't you that guy that said he came from another dimension?!"

Ethan sighed. "Again, same dimension now, but yes. I'm the one you're thinking of."

Spike raised a brow. "Same dimension? What do you mean by that?"

"Scientists in my dimension messed with interdimensional travel, it backfired and merged our two realities. I'll go more into detail if you care about quantum physics and super advanced mathematics, but you probably don't so I won't."

Spike just stared at Ethan for a moment before shrugging. "Okay? I mean that's pretty weird, but it's also kind of cool y'know?"

"You accepted that rather quickly."

Spike smirked. "I live with Twilight and her crazy experiments. I'm used to crazy and impossible things happening."

Twilight gave Spike a look. "Hey, everything I do is theoretically possible."

"Twilight, you once teleported us into a book. Not like inside of a closed book, but into the actual pages of a book."

Ethan chuckled. "I can see how that would feel bizarre. I'm assuming that had something to do with magic? Now that's something I want to learn about. Perhaps it might even fit somewhere in the typing chart."

Spike blinked. "Typing chart? What?"

Twilight looked rather curious as well. "Yeah, you did tell me about how Pokémon have different types, but not which ones there were or how they worked."

Spike looked back and forth between Twilight and Spike. "Pokémon? What are you two talking about?"

Ethan cleared his throat. "Okay. There are 18 Pokémon types, and these typings apply to Pokémon moves as well. Certain moves may be more effective on a Pokémon that type is strong against. For instance, a water type move would be quite effective against a fire type Pokémon. That may seem simple to get down, but remember that there are 18 types, all with strengths and weaknesses. many Pokémon even have two types, making the matchup chart more confusing."

Spike looked more lost than ever. "Seriously. What are you talking about?"

Twilight snapped out of her note-taking mode and looked over to her assistant/adopted brother. "Oh, I'm sorry Spike, you weren't here when Ethan was explaining about Pokémon were you? They're these fascinating creatures with the most amazing abilities! Well, that's the impression I've gotten from listening to Ethan anyway."

"No, you're right about that. Pokémon are incredible. And one thing most Pokémon love is a good battle! That's why the type chart matters. It determines which Pokémon will have a direct advantage against others. Of course, there are other things to take into consideration like abilities and climate, but typing is the most basic."

Spike looked interested now. "Now THAT sounds awesome! I'd love to see one of these Pokémon myself! I doubt there would be any around here though, given they come from your end."

"Not true at all. I happen to be a Pokémon trainer, someone who works with and directs Pokémon in battle. I can show you one of my partners if you want."

Twilight and Spike jumped at the opportunity to see one of these mysterious creatures up close. "Yeah! That sounds awesome!"

"Then it's a plan. But I don't think we should in here. The Pokémon I have in mind prefers wide open areas. Do you know of a clear area around that would work?"

Twilight thought on that. "Well, there is the training yard for the guards. It's just outside the castle, and they shouldn't be there right now, so that could work!"

"Cool. Lead the way, and I'll show you what a Pokémon can do!"


Ethan stood in the middle of a dirt field, Spike and Twilight watching from behind.

"So, you said Spike is a dragon?"

"Yeah? Why, will that be a problem?"

"Not really. I just thought I'd let you know that dragon happens to be a Pokémon type. the type my partner I have in mind happens to be."

Spike and Twilight were in shock at that. "Dragons are a type of Pokémon?! What about the dragons of Equestria?"

"I'm not sure how that would affect them, but I have ab experiment that we could try out later to test it."

Spike gulped. "I'm not sure I like the sound of that..."

Ethan reached to his belt, grabbing a Pokeball, much to the confusion of the pony and dragon. "What is he..."

"Alright, Haxorus, come on out."

The ball opened in a flash of light, revealing a bipedal red, green and grey Pokémon with enormous tusks. It raised its head, ready for a battle, only to find an empty field with nothing but Ethan and two weak looking Pokémon behind him.

"Haxorus?"

"No, they're not Pokémon, I'll explain later I called you out so that you can show them some of what you can do."

Twilight looked confused. "Wait, you understood that? I could only hear it say its name."

"Yeah. I learned how to understand Pokémon a while ago. It's actually rather difficult unless you're an aura adept or a psychic."

"If you can tell me the basics on how to learn, I'm sure I can create a translation spell."

"Oh, you can do that? Hell yeah! If we can get translation like that mainstream, Pokémon and People will be closer than ever! There are a couple prototype translation devices, but they're so inefficient that they're hardly usable."

Haxorus just looked between his trainer and the strange purple creature, completely lost.

Spike chose that moment to speak up. "Um... I actually understood him too."

Twilight looked shocked. "Really? How?"

Ethan hummed. "Perhaps it has something to do with you being a dragon yourself. I'd wager you can only understand dragon types like that, but that's still pretty useful for you."

Haxorus raised a claw. "So, uh, when am I supposed to do my thing?"

"Oh, sorry Haxorus, I got wrapped up in conversation. These are Twilight and Spike. They're denizens of this place known as Equestria, a dimension that got mixed up with ours after the Aether Foundation fucked with wormholes. I'm teaching them the basics about Pokemon, and I thought it would be cool if you showed off some of your moves. I do want to go over some things first though."

Spike was still staring at the large dragon type. "You're so awesome looking! I hope I look just as cool when I get older too!"

"Heh, believe it or not, I was actually your size when I met Ethan."

"Wait, really?! He doesn't look that old!"

"He's not. I was an Axew back then. When I became a part of Ethan's team, I trained really hard, and participated in a lot of tough battles. Eventually, all the hard work paid off, and I evolved into the Haxorus I am today."

"Huh? Evolved? What's that supposed to mean?"

Ethan, who had been translating the conversation for Twilight, snapped his fingers. "Thanks for bringing that up Haxorus. I figure that I should talk about evolution. You see, Pokemon can start off looking one way, and become something else through a process called evolution."

Ethan reached into his pocket to pull out his Pokedex.

"Hey, Rotom. Try to keep quiet for now. I don't really want to have to explain you in the middle of another lecture."

Upon hearing a beep of acknowledgement from his Pokedex, he pressed a couple of buttons and a screen of Haxorus next to two other similar Pokémon came up.

"You see, Haxorus started out as this one here, called Axew. It was after a lot of hard work and training that he evolved into Fraxure, and after that, Haxorus. When a Pokémon evolves, they gain a huge boost in power. Of course, this isn't always immediately helpful. It may take a Pokémon a while to get used to their new body after evolving, especially those with more dramatic changes. There is also the fact that Pokémon tend to learn moves easier before they evolve."

Twilight listened with rapt attention. "That's so fascinating! Can all Pokémon evolve like that?"

"Not all. Some Pokémon only evolve once, and other can't evolve at all. There are also different ways that certain Pokémon evolve. Many Pokémon require the power of certain stones to evolve, and some evolve through intense feelings of friendship or love. There are other ways too, certain Pokémon can only evolve during certain times of day, under certain weather conditions, the list goes on. For as much as we know about the phenomenon of Pokémon evolution, a lot remains a mystery."

Twilight giggled. "You sound like a real expert on the subject."

"Well, I am a very well known trainer, and I'm friends with around 6 world renown Pokémon professors. But anyway, Haxorus, I think it's about time to start!"

"Finally! I was getting bored."

"Alright. So first up, Haxorus is a pure dragon type, which means he's strong against other dragons, and resists fire, water, grass, and electric types. However, dragon types also have weaknesses. They are weak to Ice, Dragon, and Fairy type attacks. In order to overcome those weaknesses, you need to have tools and strategies to deal with them. Haxorus has both. Iron Tail for Fairy types, multiple Fighting type moves for Ice, and we have clever strategies for dealing with other dragons."

Twilight wrote down the information with vigor while Spike waited in anticipation for Haxorus to show what he could do.

"Alright Haxorus, I don't want us causing too much commotion, so let's try and take it easy, okay?"

"Fine, fine. It takes all the fun out of it though."

"You'll get a good battle soon enough. Just help me out for now. You see that boulder there? I want you to use Dragon Claw on it."

Haxorus marched up to the large boulder just off to the side of the training field. He raised a claw up and it glowed with draconic power, sharpening the digits and extending them. He swung downwards, cutting the boulder into three chunks, like a hot knife through butter. The air pressure from the attack even dug small gouges into the ground that went on for several feet.

Spike and Twilight watched in shock as Haxorus and Ethan turned back to them nonchalantly. "And that's Dragon Claw. It's a fairly common move for dragon types to know, but it's rather powerful. Of course, Haxorus held back for that attack. I doubt the guards would appreciate a trench being dug right next to their training grounds."

The pony and baby dragon tried to restart their brains. "That was him HOLDING BACK?!" Just how powerful are these Pokémon?!"

"Okay, I can see how that would freak you out. To be fair though, Haxorus is much stronger than is average for his species, which are quite powerful Pokémon to begin with. Trust me, not every Pokémon can do something like that. At least not without the right training."

Twilight said nothing, deciding to instead write down what she witnessed for further introspection. Spike on the other hand looked back up at Haxorus with stars in his eyes. "WOW! That was the coolest thing I've ever seen! It was like straight out of a comic book! What other awesome things can you do Haxorus?"

Haxorus gave a cocky smirk. "Oh, you want to see more? You see that hill over the horizon?"

Ethan gave Haxorus a warning glare. Haxorus smiled and started charging up an attack.

"DRAGON PULSE!"

Author's Note:

Yeah, I know I have other stories to update, but I'm having a lot of fun with this one, and I was having trouble with inspiration for the others. I hope you enjoy the chapter though.

Comments ( 2 )

I'm loving this story, hope it continues

Login or register to comment