• Published 4th Sep 2021
  • 237 Views, 4 Comments

Smoke & Records - Paper_Pen



A short romance about two total nerds who like Daring Do.

  • ...
 4
 237

III

Pen and Note stumbled down the hall of their building, drunkenly laughing as Note nursed a freshly wounded hoof after nearly breaking it on a bouncer's face. Pen had been uncharacteristically light with the cider that night, Smokey's birthday was the very next morning and he had convinced himself that the hangover wouldn't be worth it. It was strange for the stallion, thinking on it he hadn't bothered limiting his cider intake since he was roughly twelve save for a few long term hospital visits, and even then Note had snuck in shots for him. For once, it actually felt good to be semi-sober.

Suddenly a stallion exited one of the apartments, in particular Smokey's place. This gave Pen pause, he seemed to be laughing in that certain kind of way that ponies only laughed around those they truly cared about. Though it was what happened next that stabbed and twisted a knife into Pen's mind.

"Love ya' Smokey!" He smiled as he trotted away.

"Love ya' Gear, see you tomorrow!" She replied, her ears slowly searching for the noise of whatever other ponies occupied the hall.

Pen had frozen in his tracks, unable to move as his mind processed what the buck had just happened. He hadn't even known what it was that she made him feel, and it was at that moment when his heart was ripped from his chest and thrown into the icy sea that he realized; he loved her. He wanted to be around her, he wanted to make her days brighter for no other reason than affection, and he wanted to see her smile every damn day for the rest of his life. Only now that his truth gained a face was it shredded to reveal the ugly visage of reality, everything, anything he wanted just wasn't possible. Note, thinking quickly, grabbed his friend and dragged him into the nearest apartment.

"Dude, uh-" Note struggled for words, "Are uh… you okay?"

"What the buck was that?!" Pen exclaimed in genuine shock, "She has a special somepony, I convinced myself I'm in love, and she was totally just being friendly!"

"I mean, to be perfectly fair I super got those vibes too. The whole mane-petting thing was a little bit romantic." Note tried to comfort him, "I… yeah, sorry."

"I just need to sit for a moment…" Pen sighed, taking a seat upon the apartment's couch. The true tenant, their neighbor Nightwatch, rushed into the room.

"What the buck are you two doing in my house?!" He loudly questioned.

"Look, Night, not a good time." Note explained, "Pen's going through some tough stuff right now, I'd appreciate it if you left."

"Buck you, it's my place!" He exclaimed, "Get out before I call the police!"

"Seriously, dude, I'll rip your wings off and choke you to death with them!" Note unsheathed his pocket knife, pointing its steel blade threateningly at the other pegasus, "Shove off and go the buck back to bed!" This threat worked, seemingly, and Nightwatch rushed away.

"I'm such a bucking idiot…" Pen sulked, "What the buck is wrong with me that a mare shows me the slightest amount of affection and I think she's in love with me?"

"Hey, it's not you, buddy. It's totally natural to just want somepony to love." He patted the unicorn's back, "So… what are you doing with the tapes?"

"She's still getting them, of course." Pen halfheartedly shrugged, "I made them for her, and even if I can't have her in my life like… that… I'll take her smile as a friend. If she's happy... I'm happy."

With that the pair poured themselves glasses of whatever wine Nightwatch happened to have in his cupboard and left, Note wearing a nice new watch he'd found on the table and Pen attempting to hide his tear-stained eyes behind his scarf.

They met again the very next morning, trotting into Smokey's apartment and leaving the now wrapped boxes of tapes on a gift table. The party was a simple one, friends and family of the mare idly chatting and laughing with each other while stuffing their faces with a cake baked by the mare herself. Her cake was some of the best Pen had ever tasted, left warm and moist inside a shell of fine frosting. Everything she put in a pan baked into gold.

The pain Pen felt in his heart was slowly beginning to scab and scar, somewhat subsiding. The stallion she called Gear seemed kind, a genuinely caring pegasus who made her laugh. It still hurt, of course, to see him with her though Pen was at least content to see her happy. He didn't plan to linger too long, though the cutting blade had once again proved its bloodlust, Gear trotting up to Pen to introduce himself.

"Hiya, you must be Pen!" He shook the other stallion's hoof, "I'm Gear, Smokey's told me a lot about you!"

"Lovely to meet you too!" Pen forced a smile, "A friend of hers is a friend of mine!"

"Friend?" He laughed, "I'm her brother."

"...what?"

"She didn't mention me?" He cocked a brow.

"Can't uh- can't say she did, no." Pen stuttered, shaking off yet another sudden realization.

"Eh, I live in Fillydelphia. Probably just didn't come up." He shrugged with a smile, "What, did you think I was her stallionfriend or something?" He laughed.

"Pff, how daft do I look?" Pen chuckled.

"You're sure you want the answer to that question?" He teased, "Hey, I wanted to tell you something. You probably haven't picked up on it since she's a bit shy, but my sister really likes you."

"Seriously?" Pen feigned shock, "Oh wow, you're totally right, I never picked up those vibes… not even remotely."

"Just thought I should let ya' know, you seem like an alright pony." He patted Pen's back before moving into another grouping of ponies.

"Hey, holdin' up bud?" Note asked, trotting up to Pen.

"I think? The emotional whiplash is a bit disorienting."

"What?"

"Gear is her brother." Pen explained, "She's single, Gear is her brother, and I have one hundred percent confirmation that she likes me."

"She has a brother?!" Note was as flabbergasted as his friend.

"Right?!"

Pen rejoined the party, mingling with Smokey and her friends while they devoured a cake that had somehow gotten even sweeter since his last slice. She had reacted to his present better than he ever could have expected, smiling with nothing short of glee when he'd told her what was on the tapes. All night she kept the first tape in the series by her, idly stroking the fabric on it like a fidget. The gathering went into the night though eventually ponies began to leave, Pen almost following before Smokey grabbed him by the scarf.

"Hey, wanna hang around for a little bit?" She offered, "I can't wait to listen through these!"

"It runs a bit long, me and my friends aren't voice actors-" Pen giggled, "But of course! We should order some food, my treat!"

"Dinner and a show, you know how to treat a mare!" She made an adorable giggle before kissing Pen on the nose, "Oh, what about that really good Maretalian place on twentieth and forty, do they deliver?"

Comments ( 3 )

And a lovely happy ending.

10/10

10963976
Glad you enjoyed it! I haven't really done a romance fic before, so it's good to know it worked!

Short and sweet. I enjoyed it!

Login or register to comment