• Published 13th Jul 2021
  • 314 Views, 3 Comments

Ante Coo - PacifistDoodl3r



Something is outside. Nopony knows what it is.

  • ...
4
 3
 314

Whole note silence.

Ante Coo.
Written by PacifistDoodler
***


Warmness from the cute stone fireplace gifted the cavernous indoors with a familiar tender atmosphere.

Brown wooden beams arched over the double door, a seemingly perfect entrance to the rustic feel that this restaurant also gave to anypony who entered.

The spaciousness of the place allowed the capacity to surpass any other eating spot in Ponyville, in terms of popularity. Tables were at a nice distance from eachother, the rose velvet booths were directly against their respective windows, making it a hotspot for ponies to eat there.

Black and white checkers adorned the floor. The ground was recently refurbished due to some complaints about the bright colours hurting the eyes of foals. Now, the ground is a muted polished version of what it once was.

Carrot Top adverted her attention to the mare looking back at her through the ground. Their light orange mane, dark green eyes, and a fair yellow coat reminded Carrot... this was her. Above her, the ceiling fan slowly stopped spinning, causing her to look up and break her trance. She shook her head from the minor distraction and yoinked the keys off of a nearby table. Her ears twitched from the jingling. The mare scowled in response, cursing under her breath.

The orange sky shimmered across glass windows, allowing sun beams to pour down amidst the tables booths. Dust particles gently floated, they were stars sprinkled in the light's gleam that complimented the galaxy above.

She walked past the rows of tables and stacked chairs, attempting to blow away a strand of hair, ever so slightly obscuring her vision. Her hoof reached the door knob and fumbled to twist it. Letting out a brief exasperated sigh, brushing away the piece of orange fluffy mane, she finally shoved the stubborn double door open.

The keys entered, jerking with a twist. Before Carrot could properly lock it, a loud commotion of ponies roared from afar. Down the street littered with houses, though, nowhere near town hall, dust kicked up and screams from various voices echoed towards the block.

Carrot Top squinted. Trying to get a better look, struggling against the blight star gazing down.

Houses nearby simultaneously met with clicks. Confused ponies either rushed towards the disturbance or craned their necks to get a better look.

The air was still. Warm, dry weather stung Carrot’s fur, trying to breach inside her flesh. Heat failed to call her, the yellow mare fixated on the mysterious stir compelling her to follow it. Screams grew louder, ringing in her ear like metal striking steel repeatedly. It started to scrape her ear drums, but the pain entranced her, welcoming her blissful attentiveness. Gradually, this high pitched shrill from the unknown sounded akin to the colour white.

Turning her head, Carrot Top took a few steps towards the road, inching her way to the sound that rose louder. The sound started a faint rumble, trickling a bass filled with whimsical whispers. A crescendo of noise hurdled with the song of screams and terror, causing Carrot to take a few more steps.

She surveyed the neighbor. Her neighbors were gone. That didn't stop the chilling pull of curiosity from dragging her closer and closer to the grey colossal dust. A chilling breeze manifested out of nothing and came from oblivion. A heart beat, pulsing from a heavy chest that cracked underneath the pressure from a longing desire to chase what was out there.

A pony’s voice shouted at Carrot, “Get back inside! Hurry!” She is exclaimed, rushing her magenta figure at Carrot in a matter of seconds.

This woke up Carrot, refilling her breath with air that the strange moment took from her. Finally she spoke.

“W-what's going on? Who are you--” the purple earth pony pushed Carrot Top back inside and slammed the door, “--please!”

“I think this will hold!” The stranger rushed to the table tops and pulled at the cloths, tying the corners on each hook to each and every window blind.

Carrot Top found this comically distressing. She stomped her hoof on the hard ground with an echo, “Answer me!”

The purple mare tilted her head and stopped what she was doing. “I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to focus on saving our lives instead of chatting!” She huffed and continued to tie the table cloths on the windows until the room was dimly lit, save for the fireplace that cackled quietly.

“What's going on?” Carrot asked, eyeing the locked door, then noticing the key that lied dormant in front of it.

“I don't know!?” The stranger got off of the chair she used to stand on, “That's the thing, butter mare, it all happened too fast!”

“Can you not call me that? I'm Carrot--Carrot Top, by the way. Who are you and tell me what happened before I kick you out of my restaurant.” She nearly hissed at the stranger, furrowing her brow.

“The name's Berry, and you'd have to drag my corpse out of here before you kick me out!”

“You know what? Let's not do this! I don't have time for this-- just tell me what happened?”

“For the a thousandth time, I don't know! Look, I stepped out of an outhouse and heard screams. Someone said a dude died or something. Now I'm here, safe. Give me a second will ya?”

Berry sat down on the edge of a booth, holding her chest with a hoof. Her pants were audible. Sweat dripped from her forehead, the beads were like a leaky faucet.

Carrot slowly slouched in a nearby chair and a worried look painted her face. “A pony died? This- whatever is out there- so... it's dangerous? It kills ponies? What is it?”

The purple mare grimaced at that, “I don't know! I swear to Celestia if you keep on asking about what the hay is outside!” She closed her eyes and rubbed her face, before turning red, “My sister. I left my sister.”

“I'm... so sor-”

Don't say that!” She got up from the booth, heavily breathing, “She's fine! She's all right!

After a few moments, Berry walked over to the small kitchen, shaking. The back room lights buzzed on, illuminating every part of the nook and countertops.

Berry opened the fridge to her dissatisfaction, “Where do you keep the juice?” She opened the mini fridge, “Nevermind...

Cautiously, Carrot followed Berry to the back. She looked over at Berry scrounging for anything in the fridge.

“Berry? What was the last thing you... said to your sister?”

Her ears perked up, “Just shut up!” She scowled, “What happened to your family?” Berry turned around to face Carrot, “Exactly. Please, leave me alone!”

“I don't have a family.”

“Well, isn't that just peachy?”

Carrot sighed and leaned against the counter, “I had a mom, just so you know.”

“What happened? Died?” After Carrot hesitantly nodded her head, she pressed her further, “How? Old age? Accident? See, it's not fun to get asked-”

“Heart attack- high blood pressure. She was a diabetic and bits don't appear out of thin air.” Even though Carrot smiled, it was an unreadable smile. “For three years she just waited for her battle to end, asking if I can take care of this place... I buried her the following summer.”

Berry stood up and frowned, “That's unfortunate. What were her last words?”

Carrot blinked, and awkwardly shifted her position, “We uh- uhm... we didn't really have last words. For weeks she acknowledged my existence and that was that, until it stopped. I can't remember what we told eachother before those final days.”

With a hoof, Berry wiped away a little more sweat. “Jeez, you're just so casual about this. Ok, whatever, my sister coo’d at me.”

“I'm sorry? What?”

“You know that sound some foals or ponies make when you hug or give them a dozen cinnamon bites?”

Carrot piped up, “All the time...”

“We failed miserably at ‘Sister Hooves Social’ and today of all days I decide to cheer her up by going out to eat ice cream. She's probably just enjoying the butter pecan as we speak.” A single tear trickled down Berry’s cheek.

“Berry, I'm sure the two of you will look back on this day and feel relieved it ended.”

Before Berry could open her mouth to reply, the door pounded like somepony’s life depended on it.

That was most likely the case.

LET ME IN!” An ear splitting cry screamed behind the barrier. He banged on the wooden door, now a shield from the outside elements. “I'M BEGGING YOU!

Carrot and Berry gave the other a concerned glance.

The yellow mare instinctively backed away, “He's begging us but I don't know what to do!”

Berry rushed to the windows, creating a small crack from the table cloths. “It's a pegasus- I think! Should we let him in? It's foggy out here! I can't see a thing!”

Curiosity egged Carrot after that sentence. She propped up next to Berry, observing the clear sky and empty streets.

She quizzically stared, “I see too much. There's... no fog. I sort of want to go leave and see what's up?”

The stallion continued to thump with all his strength against the door.

“Carrot, there's no time for this crazy talk! He's hurt, I'm letting him in!”

“What!? Hey- you can't do that!”

Without a second thought, Berry reached for the gold key, motionless on the floor. Her hoof missed trembled, putting the key inside the lock wrong. After a second try, she twists the knob and hastily swings the door open.

“Get it!” Pulling the light blue Stallion inside, she locks the door immediately after.

He shivers, holding himself in a ball.

“Who are you!” Berry didn't ask. She demanded a reply.

“I- I- there were so many!” His voice cracked, his eyes widened. His throat gurgled.

Berry stood in front of him, gently shaking his shoulder. “Spit it out!”

Carrot softly spoke to her acquaintance, “Hey, please lay it easy on him. We don't know what's out there- but he does.”

The stallion jerked his body up like a machine, he still hunched over but directed towards Carrot, “N-no... I don't know what the hay caused my entire Wonderbolt squadron to drop like flies!” He sneered.

Carrot got lower to his eye level. “Please, take your time to gather your thoughts. It would be very nice for you to tell us exactly what's wrong outside. Better yet, tell us how your day went?”

He scooted back, away from the pair. “I- my day? There's this pony- a pegasus, Rainbow Dash, she left us to gather her friends and then we were left flying above town. We fell. I- I- I landed on...” he shook his head and pounded a hoof on the ground, “is it still snowing out there?”

Berry and Carrot slowly peeked outside.

“It's hot and sunny!”

“Carrot, zip it! There's a lot of fog and it's starting to rain!”

A hoof planted on Berry’s shoulder.

“I don't see anything different about the weather- it looks normal.” Carrot looked up at the sun, not realizing it's no longer setting.

Berry pointed at the dark grey clouds and thick fog, she couldn't even see the building next to them. “Our minds are playing tricks on us, waiting here for so long.”

Carrot shrugged, “Ha ha, maybe? How long has it been?”

The stallion shot up, “TWO DAYS!”

A smirk came out of Berry, rolling her eyes, “He lost his mind before you, Carrot. I'm not surprised.”

“I'm not kidding!” The stallion slowly got up, “This has been going on for two days. Only this side of Ponyville is experiencing whatever this is!”

Carrot joined in on Berry's outlook, “Oh no, we're trapped! If only the princesses were here to save us!”

Annoyed from their responses, he turned the key that was lodged in the door handle.

And opened the door.

“Wait- NO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?” Berry rushed to where he stood, but it was too late. The stallion took a few steps backwards out of the restaurant.

“This street looks pretty empty! I wonder what's getting you so worked up!” He shouted at the two mares.

“Listen, I'm sorry! Please come back inside before anything bad happens!” Berry shrieked, darting her eyes around the area.

“Like what? A bug bear snatches me up and eats me? A big ol’ timberwolf mauls me to death?” He smiled, embracing the snowflakes falling from above.

“You're soaking wet! Please hurry and get your haunch in here!” Berry held the door, preparing to shut it once he returned inside.

“I'm as dry as a burning building! Although it is cold out here! Are you too chicken to join me? I don't know why we were so... afraid.” He stopped what he was doing and looked straight up. “Me and my mouth.”

He slowly strained his neck, at the two ponies who could do nothing but watch. Calmly, he walked towards them. His eyes started to pour a black sickly substance, creeping off his face. The blank expression the stallion had shown no signs of any emotion.

As he drew closer to, more blackness absorbed the lower half of his mouth. It dripped from his maw and stringed onto the ground, webbing against his front hooves.

Berry was about to shut the door on his face. Ten feet. Seven feet. Six feet. Four feet. He slumped over and fell. Spewing black goo from his eyes and mouth.

He finally stopped moving.

She was going to shut the door but froze. Carrot's heart dropped from Berry’s expression and shut the door for her.

What felt like a century had passed. They were thirsty. All that was left in the fridge had been nothing but food ingredients, empty glass bottles of water, and various other drinks.

Silence only accompanied them.

That was, until a bottle fell from the counter and shattered glass echoed.

“Oh for frog’s sake!” Berry tensed, trying to ignore the interruption.

“The day is still bright and cheery for me!” Carrot mockingly said to herself.

“I have to listen to the pittering rain that won't give me a second to think! It made me wonder why I don't feel tired!” Berry shot a look at the table cloth that hung on the windows.

“Why don't we feel tired? And why did you put those up?” Carrot rested her head on a foreleg.

“I don't know, that's why I asked. And I guess I expected something... along the lines of an apocalypse happening? I read too much stories.”

“So are we going to wait here until... help arrives?”

“I think this is it. We're fluffed, Carrot.”

Carrot placed a hoof on the mare next to her, “You're gonna see your sister again. Please... don't talk like that.”

As if the universe was watching, a filly’s voice yelled from beyond the restaurant.

“Piña?” A cold and beaten sob came from Berry.

“She's not out there! I heard it too! Listen to me- that's not your sister.” Carrot shook Berry to make sure she'd understand, “Hey, look, listen to me! It's trying to get to you!”

She pushed Carrot off of her, “And what if that is her? You know what loss is, please, don't stop me!” Berry scooted out of the booth and headed for the door.

Carrot pulled at her arm but to no avail.

“Berry, this isn't you. What happened to the smart, shallow pony who rummaged through my fridge?”

“She didn't sit around in a restaurant to die a miserable, lonely death! So what if it takes me? I had enough!”

The door was still unlocked. Berry easily opened it with ease, stepping over the putrid decaying corpse.

Carrot saw the keys near the body being picked up by Berry, getting ready to protest to her about giving them back.

As if to taunt Carrot, Berry jingled them as she began to walk away. “Mind if I take these as a reminder?” Berry swayed the keys like a tiny swing.

Just then, she started to glow white.

“Berry! Something is going on!”

“I'm sorry for this! It's a risk I'm willing to take!” She shouted back.

“No! You're glowing!”

“I know I'm going! Farewell... friend.” Berry sniffed after saying that, disappearing behind the corner of the street.

Carrot tried not to look at the stranger that lied in her path. The visceral sight turned her stomach.

She closed her eyes, tight, galloping to jump over him. She opened her eyes to a normal looking Ponyville. Except, everypony was gone. The ghost town made her shiver.

Her ears twitched and she shouted, closing her eyes again. The first sign of anything abnormal was enough to set her off.

After a few seconds, she reopened them.

It was dark out. The fog started to set in for her.

Carrot shouted again, this time, she felt her body heat up as if it reacted to the scream. She spun around to find anything that may have been stalking her.

Only the sound of her heartbeat stirred sound and movement. She took another step but the sound of a rushing breeze told her to scream even louder than last time.

Her body lit up, radiating a bright source of light. This gave her an idea.

Carrot Top bolted straight towards the only visible building in the horizon. Through the black and cloudy night, she saw the town hall. She told herself to hatch a plan to get to the bottom of this later.

As Carrot sped through the town, blurring past houses and shops, she screamed and continued to glow.

She felt her voice starting to vibrate and scratch. Pushing through as much as she can.

The desolate town appeared to grow and stretch but she didn't care.

The empty, depressing town was a straight path to her destination but she didn't care.

The shouting was too much for her. But she didn't care.

All that mattered was the safety the huge building would bring. Maybe, others had the same idea?

Just a few more blocks!’ Carrot thought to herself, feeling her vocal chords slowly burst and squeal.

What came out was a whistle as her glow began to fade.

Empty gusts of air exerted from her throat, trying desperately to scream.

Town hall was so close.

But she didn't care.

Comments ( 3 )

Nice piece. Well done on the horror! :)

Huh. That was a trippy read. I like your style :pinkiehappy:

Howdy, hi!

Heres a review from the mansion

Login or register to comment