• Published 23rd Feb 2021
  • 444 Views, 8 Comments

Fractured Mind - PoneStudios



Buttercup Rose lives a normal life, in a normal town in the middle of Equestria. She has a normal job, a normal family, and normal friends. Or, well. That's what she shows on the outside to everypony she meets.

  • ...
6
 8
 444

Chapter Three: A Meeting With Royalty

Buttercup followed Lavender down the street toward Princess Twilight's castle, growing more and more anxious the closer they got. Would this really work? How could she tell the princess that she was a murderer? A serial killer, no less? Would Scarlet even let her tell Twilight? She could feel Scarlet's mental leash already tightening around her neck with each step...

She unconsciously reached a hoof up to her neck, tugging at thin air where she could feel the leash pulling at her. Just a few minutes more, please, Scarlet... let me do this... She begged in her head.

"Almost there," Lavender said, noticing the look on her face. "Just a few more minutes."

Buttercup nodded nervously, glancing around at the various shops that lined the street.

So many ponies... so many ways this could go horribly wrong…

Buttercup fidgeted with the sleeves of her hoodie nervously, shivering as she tried to keep her eyes on the ground. I can't... I can't kill them... that... that's wrong... Scarlet, please... get me out of this, I don't want to kill anymore...

"This way," Lavender said, turning down a side street, as she kept her eyes on the various ponies around her. Her eyes moved from pony to pony, wondering what Buttercup was so nervous about, and then her eyes went to Buttercup's forelegs and she noticed how Buttercup was playing with her hoodie. "Hey," She said worriedly. "What's wrong?"

Buttercup looked up, frowning as she exhaled shakily. "I-I... don't know..."

Lavender frowned. "Then why are you playing with your hoodie? You only do that when you're upset or nervous about something."

Buttercup's frown deepened, as she looked down. "I can't... I mean, I don't want to get any of them... I can't..."

"Buttercup, what are you talking about?" Lavender watched Buttercup grow more and more anxious, the unicorn's magenta eyes darting around at the ponies around them and then at the ground. "Hey, hey, Buttercup, breathe. Take a breath in deep, alright?"

Buttercup complied, breathing in and out.

"Good. Now, tell me what's wrong."

"I..." Buttercup cut off as the leash tightened around her neck, choking her and silencing her. She felt her body freeze in place as Scarlet took control of her movements, her eyes going to the ground and remaining there as she fought with her other half for dominance.

Lavender watched this and got directly in Buttercup's vision. "Buttercup, I need you to tell me. What's wrong? What's going on?"

Buttercup shook her head, fighting back tears. "I... I..." She couldn't tell the truth. She couldn't tell her best friend that she was responsible for the disappearance of their friend Peony. She couldn't, or Scarlet would get even angrier than she already was. And that...

But, still... if only she could say something. If only she could ask for someone to get her out of this hell that she'd created for herself.

"Buttercup..." Lavender continued to coax. "Come on, you can tell me. I'm here for you."

"I... I..." Buttercup repeated, choking on the words.

"Hey." Lavender crouched down to stare into her eyes. "You can tell me. I'll help you. You know I love you."

Buttercup quickly shook her head. "No, it's nothing. Everything's fine."

"Tell me," Lavender insisted.

Buttercup shook her head again, this time scratching at her foreleg through her hoodie. This awful situation was making the itch flare up again... she took a breath, shoving the sensation down and forcing herself not to scratch that spot on her legs when she knew ponies could see. She managed to stop, but not before Lavender saw her nervous scratching and got suspicious.

"Hey, Buttercup?" Lavender began, hoof going to one of her friend's forelegs. "What's underneath your hoodie? You're scratching your forelegs awfully hard there..."

"It's nothing!" The way Buttercup stiffened at the question and the touch had Lavender even more suspicious. She went to roll up one of Buttercup's hoodie sleeves, but Buttercup backed up and used her magic to hold the sleeves down so she couldn't pull them up.

"Buttercup, you know you can tell me anything, right?"

"I know!" Buttercup said, a bit too quickly. "It's nothing! I mean, nothing bad, everything good! Just ignore me, alright? I'm fine!" Buttercup managed a nervous grin along with that incredibly rushed lie, but it only made Lavender less willing to believe her.

"Buttercup... if something's wrong..."

"Just DROP IT, OKAY?" Buttercup's tone was angry, her voice raised in a combination of panic and irritation. She took a deep breath when she realized what she'd just done, looking away from her friend. "I'm sorry. But just... don't."

"Buttercup..."

Lavender frowned grimly, and Buttercup's ears folded back guiltily. "Lavender, just... I can't. I'm sorry. Let's just go see the princess, alright?" Buttercup attempted a smile, but it came off weak and false.

"Fine," Lavender said, turning around and continuing toward the castle. "...but after that, we're talking."

Buttercup just nodded, eyes going sorrowfully to the ground as she and Lavender continued to the castle.


When they got to Princess Twilight's Castle, Lavender led the way up to the golden double doors and Buttercup watched with a nervous, bit lip as her earth pony friend knocked on the door. She hoped the Princess would answer. She could already feel the mental leash tightening around her neck.

Lavender and Buttercup waited for the doors to open and for somepony to answer. When they did, however, it wasn't Princess Twilight who answered. It was Spike. "Huh?" He asked groggily.

Lavender spoke first. "Oh, hey, Spike! We were wondering if Twilight has time to speak with us today. Buttercup and I have a problem on our hooves."

"Heh?" Spike squinted a little before shaking his head to clear himself of the drowsiness that came with having been woken up from a very nice nap. "Oh, yeah, she's just in the library with Starlight right now," He said with a smile that was most definitely still somewhat tired. "...They've been in there for a while now. I should probably go see what's keeping them so long..." He shook his head and then looked at Lavender and Buttercup. "I'll get her for you. TWILIGHT!" the small dragon's voice trailed off as he went to find Princess Twilight.

"Are you sure she'll have time to speak to us?" Buttercup asked nervously.

Lavender smiled and nodded. "It's Princess Twilight. Of course, she will! She has time for anypony who needs advice. She's probably the most willing to help out of everyone in town!" Then she paused and made a side-to-side motion with her head, bringing a hoof to her chin. "Well. She's probably second to Fluttershy, but just barely."

Buttercup managed a small, nervous smile at that. "Y-yeah... maybe... maybe she will."

Buttercup's worry was needless, though. For in just a few moments, Spike returned with Princess Twilight. "Thanks, Spike," Twilight said with a smile. "You can go back to bed now." Spike went back into the castle and Twilight turned to Buttercup and Lavender. "Hello!" She greeted cheerfully. "Spike said you needed to talk to me. What's going on?"

Lavender smiled at Twilight. "Hello, Princess. I'm Lavender and this is my friend, Buttercup. We're here to talk to you about a somewhat sensitive issue I've noticed with Buttercup."

"Please, call me Twilight," Twilight said. "I'm not a fan of the whole... 'Princess' thing." She ruffled her things and stuck her tongue out for a moment before smiling again. "Come on inside, we can talk in my library. What seems to be the problem?"

"Well..." Buttercup mumbled quietly.

Twilight gave a smile. "If you don't feel comfortable talking about it, you don't have to."

"N-no, it's okay," Buttercup hastily assured. "I-I'm fine! I just..." Buttercup cut off with a whimper and squinted her eyes shut, shaking her head frantically as the mental leash tightened once again. She took a deep breath, calming herself and attempting to force the leash to loosen. After a moment's attempt, walking silently down the castle corridors with Lavender and Twilight, she managed to loosen it just a little. She gulped and then spoke. "I... I-I have... a problem..." That was all she managed to get out before her own panic overtook her and she couldn't say a word.

Lavender turned to her with a frown. "Buttercup! Snap out of it!"

"Breathe, Buttercup," Twilight said calmly. "Just breathe... There you go..."

Buttercup nodded slowly and, after a few minutes, her breathing regulated. "That's better..." She said meekly.

Twilight smiled at her. "How about we all take a seat in my library? You look like you need it, Buttercup."

Buttercup didn't need to be told twice. She sat down on one of the couches in the library and let out a sigh of relief as she did so. After taking her own seat, Twilight spoke. "Now then... I'm all ears. What's got you so scared?"
Buttercup looked at the floor and gulped. "...I have a... problem..." One of her ears twitched frantically as she swallowed and her body started trembling. Scarlet... please... I... I can't do this anymore... I'm sorry...
"Buttercup..." Lavender's frown deepened, and she moved her face closer to her friend's. "I know you can do this, Buttercup!"

Buttercup whimpered, fighting not to pass out as she trembled and put a hoof to her forehead. Scarlet, please... this isn't right! You know we shouldn't be doing what you're doing. Please... let me tell Twilight what's wrong!

"Buttercup, listen to me," Lavender said, grabbing her chin and moving her face so their eyes met. "I know you can do this. You've gotten this far. There's no turning back now. It'll be okay."
"Just take a deep breath," Twilight encouraged. "And tell us what's going on." She gave a soft smile, one that was mirrored on Lavender's face.

Scarlet... please...

There was a moment of silence before Scarlet's voice rang through Buttercup's mind. Oh, partner... oh, you sad, pathetic little fool. You think I would let you go, after all we've done? No. I'm not nearly done with you yet...

Buttercup bit her lip and forced herself to speak. "I... I'm a m-monster..." She whimpered.

"What?" Twilight's eyes widened in shock and then concern. "Why would you say that?"
Buttercup's breathing was slow and labored. "I am... I've hurt so many ponies... I..." She gulped. "I don't want to hurt anypony anymore..."

Lavender frowned. "What are you talking about, Buttercup?"

Buttercup closed her eyes, tears streaming down her face. "I... I..." She shook her head. "I'm a monster..."

Lavender frowned and moved her hoof to touch hers. "Buttercup... honey..."

Buttercup yanked her hoof away. "Don't!" She cried, curling up on the couch.

"Buttercup, you're not a monster," Lavender said softly.

Oh, yes you are, Scarlet whispered through Buttercup's mind. Tell them, Buttercup. Tell them what you did.

Buttercup frowned and bit her lip. Tell them about the murders. The voice was Scarlet's, but somehow it didn't feel like her own. It felt darker, creepier, unnatural.

"Buttercup?" Twilight asked gently. "Who's talking to you right now?" She reached out a hoof toward the panicked unicorn. "Is someone talking to you right now? Who is it? What's their name?"

Buttercup's eyes widened and her mouth opened, but no words came out. She stared in shock at Twilight, unable to form words. When she finally regained her ability to speak, it was in a shaken whisper. "H-how did you--..." She knows!?
Lavender smiled and put a hoof on Buttercup's shoulder. "It's okay, Buttercup. We're here for you."

"Buttercup... who's talking to you right now?" Twilight prompted.

Buttercup shuddered, her eyes wide with fear. "I-I... I--" She trembled, tears coming to her eyes as she doubled over in guilt and terror. "I have to-- I have to--" She stood up and stumbled towards the door of the library, squinting her eyes shut as she reached a hoof shakily towards the door handle.

Twilight grabbed her shoulder and pulled her back. "Buttercup, stop! Stop! Listen to me. You're not alone. I'm here." Her expression softened. "You can talk to us, if you need to. We won't judge you, and we'll help you get through this, but you have to tell us what's wrong."

Buttercup let out a sob. "I'm sorry, I can't... s-she won't let me..." She turned her head away from Twilight and Lavender and began to tremble violently as she struggled to hold back sobs of shame.

"Buttercup, please!" Lavender said desperately. "We're your friends! You know we care about you!"

"She's right," Twilight said with a frown. "I know you can do this, Buttercup. It's okay. You've got me and your friend, Lavender, here."

Buttercup let out a soft whimper. "...I'm sorry..." and then she bolted out of the room, back down the halls of Twilight's Castle, and out the door.

Lavender watched her go with a worried look. "Oh, dear... this is worse than Sunset and I thought..." She turned to princess Twilight and sighed. "Thank you for trying, Princess, but I guess she just wasn't ready. Now I've got to go get Sunset to find her. Hopefully, she hasn't run too far out of town this time..."

"I'll come with you," Twilight offered.

"No!" Lavender said quickly. "That would be... well... no. Buttercup's going to be upset as it is, and that's just with me and Sunset going after her! To add a complete stranger would be..." She trailed off.

Twilight nodded slowly. "I understand. I'll stay and keep an eye on things here. Go look for your friend. I hope things turn out alright..."

Lavender gave a grateful smile and nodded. "Thank you, Princess, I hope so too." And with that, she left to look for Buttercup.


Buttercup Rose ran down the streets of Ponyville towards the edge of town. Her vision was blurred by tears, her hearing overwhelmed by the sound of her terrified whimpers and sobs, overlayed with heavy breathing.

"Please... Scarlet, no more!" Buttercup cried aloud as she fled from the town and into the forest. "I don't want to hurt anypony anymore! Please... I beg you, Scarlet--"

There was a sudden, sharp pain in her chest.

Buttercup stopped with a sudden breath of pain as her forelegs buckled underneath her.

You should've known that this would happen, darling, came Scarlet's voice in their mind. I mean, really. The first chance you get to tell someone about what's happening, and you choke on your own terror. Honestly... It's like you didn't even want the opportunity I gave you to finally tell the truth about us.

"T-the... the opportunity you gave me!? YOU were the one blackmailing me into running away!" Buttercup wailed. "And now you're torturing me because I couldn't take it!" She shuddered in horror and tried to stand up again, but her legs failed her.

Scarlet chuckled darkly at her. Oh, poor little Buttercup... I suppose you are getting to me. But this is for your own good, my sweet partner. Do you know how much trouble you'd cause if anyone found out about all these murders? No, no... You have to learn to control yourself. You're far too willing to rat us out to the authorities for my preferences.

"With good reason! You're a MURDERER! Why should I let you keep doing this to so many innocent ponies!?"

Before Buttercup could continue, she felt something tightening around her neck, choking her.

Oh, my foolish, foolish partner... you really should not test me with such blatant defiance. You know I can do anything to you.

Buttercup gasped and struggled to breathe as the mental leash tightened painfully around her throat. She clawed at it desperately, but it held fast. She kicked out and flailed her hooves against the ground, her body wracked with sobs of fear as she struggled to breathe.

You're so weak... You always have been. I'm stronger than you. You know that, right?

Buttercup's eyes widened in panic and she looked desperately about for some way to escape. There was nothing. All she had left was to wait for the inevitable, and she knew it.

S-Scarlet... please, you'll kill us both!

The leash loosened up, but only barely enough to allow Buttercup to breathe.

Hmph. You've learned your lesson, for now, I suppose... but mind yourself. That leash is staying tight until you can prove to me that you won't tell the Princess about our little hobby.

Buttercup gulped, still struggling to catch her breath. "How am I supposed to do that?" She panted.

Oh, don't be silly. This isn't hard for a pony like you. Just get rid of them. It's simple... just make sure they die.

Buttercup froze.

"S-Scarlet... I can't... I can't do that..." she whimpered. "I... that's wrong... that is so wrong... a-and besides... you want me to kill a princess... I can't... I couldn't do that, not without them finding out about it..."

Don't worry. I'll handle it.

She shivered in horror. "I... I..."

Just leave it to me, partner. You get rid of Lavender, and I'll take care of Princess Twilight. Don't mess this up, and I might just give you some freedom.

Buttercup squinted her eyes shut as tears built. "L-Lavender... no..." She shook her head. "...not her... I can't--"

It doesn't matter. You will if you want your freedom back.

Buttercup sobbed and hung her head low. "...Lavender..."

Shhh. Shh... it'll be alright. You'll still remember her after she's gone. Now, if only you hadn't driven us to this. Perhaps you could've let Lavender live if you'd only listened to me. But no... you had to go and try to ruin everything.

"I... I'm sorry... Lavender, I'm so sorry..." Buttercup wept. "I don't... I don't have a choice... I'm sorry..."

Buttercup dropped to the ground, curling up in a tiny ball and sobbing. She didn't want this. She didn't want to kill her best friend. She wanted to run away. She wanted to hide. She wanted to talk to someone. But she couldn't.

She didn't have a choice.


Half an hour after Buttercup ran off, Lavender and Sunset were looking for her. "Buttercup! Where are you?"

"Buttercup!" Sunset's voice was filled with fear and worry. "Where'd you go? What happened? I heard screaming."

"Buttercup... where did you go?" Lavender asked worriedly.

Sunset looked around at the trees surrounding them, listening carefully for any sounds that might be Buttercup. She stopped when she heard the sounds of soft sobbing ahead of them.

"Buttercup! Are you okay?" she called out softly. "We're here to help you. I promise. We just need to find you, okay?"

There came a muffled reply from somewhere in the forest. "No... I can't..." There was more crying and sniffing.

Sunset gave a soft sigh and used her ears to find Buttercup. She followed the sound of Buttercup's voice, finding her curled up in a clearing, laying on the ground and sobbing. "Buttercup? Oh, sweetie... what's wrong?" Sunset went over to her younger sister and picked her up and into an embrace, sighing softly as she rocked her back and forth.

"Oh, Sweetie... you're all right now. It's gonna be okay. I'm here. You'll be fine," she said, rocking her gently.

Buttercup shuddered and began to cry again. "I... I... I..." She shook her head. "S-Sunset... I... you have to get Lavender away from me... I..."

"Buttercup, listen to me. You don't have to do this. You can tell us the truth. I know you can."

Buttercup sobbed. "Sunset, you have to get Lavender away from here! She's in serious danger!"

Sunset's eyes widened. "What!? Why?"

Buttercup took a deep breath. "I... I can't... I can't tell you. J-just please, trust me. Get her away from here..."

"Why? Is she going to hurt you?"

"Please... don't ask me that... just get Lavender away from me before it's too late..." Buttercup cried. "You have to believe me--I can't explain why... but I'm telling you the truth..."

Sunset hugged her little sister tighter, pressing their foreheads together. "Of course I'll get Lavender away from you if you want me to... But don't worry, Buttercup. I won't let anything happen to you. I swear it..."

Buttercup nodded against her older sister's chest and calmed down. "Okay... O-okay..." The anxious unicorn let her eyes slip closed and buried her face deeper into Sunset's chest. Lavender watched from a few feet away, a worried frown on her face.

"Are... are you alright, Buttercup?" She asked after a moment.

Buttercup gave a small nod. "Yeah..." she replied softly. "I... I'll be fine in a bit... just... let's go home... please?"

Lavender nodded and turned to follow Sunset and Buttercup. As they walked back to Ponyville, Lavender kept an eye out for anypony who might try to harm her friend.

Sunset just kept whispering sweet nothings into Buttercup's ears to keep her calm as the trio walked back to town. Buttercup, for her part, was quiet the entire way home, her mind preoccupied with the swirling black cloud of thoughts bouncing through her head.

She... she was going to kill Lavender.

Scarlet wanted her to kill her.

Scarlet wanted her to kill her best friend.

Buttercup couldn't bring herself to do it.

She was a pony. She was supposed to love and protect her friends. She was supposed to help them.

She wasn't supposed to slaughter them.

Buttercup tried desperately to convince herself she could still be a good pony, and live a normal life.

She had to find some way to stop Scarlet. To save Lavender.

But deep down, she knew she wouldn't have a choice. In the end, she would do it herself and make it painless for Lavender... or Scarlet would do it for her. Either way, Buttercup knew, the outcome would be the same.

Lavender was going to die. And Buttercup was going to have to watch.

...

Buttercup hoped that when Lavender died, she would understand how little choice was had in this matter. She hoped she'd forgive her.

Buttercup didn't think she would.

Buttercup didn't even know if Sunset would forgive her for this.


When they arrived at the house, Buttercup was shaking. Her hooves were trembling and her legs felt weak, and her face was pale.

"What's wrong?" Sunset asked. "Are you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost."

Buttercup just shook her head.

"Come on," Sunset said, pulling her into an embrace. "Let's get inside. It'll be fine. We can talk about everything later. I promise."

Buttercup nodded and allowed Sunset to lead her into the house.

Before going inside, Sunset turned towards Lavender and sighed. "Goodbye, Lavender. We'll see you tomorrow when Buttercup's hopefully in a better state of mind. Thank you for your help today."

Lavender nodded. "You're welcome, Sunset. I'm glad to have helped at least a little." Lavender sighed then. "I just hope I'm not the reason why Buttercup's so upset."

Sunset smiled sadly and nodded. She leaned in close to Lavender, hugging her and then shrugging a little. "Don't worry about it. I'm sure this will all blow over soon. Let's just let Buttercup rest for now."

Lavender nodded. "Alright, see you later, Sunset." Lavender turned to Buttercup, who looked up anxiously at her. "See you, Buttercup. I hope you get well soon!"

Buttercup nodded. Lavender gave her a smile, waved, and headed back to her flower shop. It was barely noon, and she still had to oversee sales.

Buttercup gave a weak wave of her hoof and then let Sunset take her inside. As she was led into her bedroom to lay down, she couldn't help but feel guilty for the things she would have to do to her closest friend.

She lay down on the bed and Sunset tucked her in and told her goodnight, and then turned off the light and left, closing the door behind her.

Buttercup didn't sleep, but as she lay there, she wondered if anypony would ever forgive her for the things she'd done.


She hoped things got better soon.

Author's Note:

Hello everyone! I'm back with another chapter!