• Published 27th Oct 2012
  • 12,553 Views, 828 Comments

The Legend of the Arachnapony - RaijingtheClockworkPony



Sometimes the craziest legends are the true ones. When Apple Bloom stumbles upon an anceint source of magic she discovers a very ancient creature.

  • ...
28
 828
 12,553

Old Tales, and Lost Truth

The princess of the night slowly circled the softly glowing tree before her, her eyes unwavering as she inspected it like a piece of art. She paused for a moment and used her magic to create a tendril of energy lift off the tree and dance for a moment then let the tendril dissipate. Her attention was focused solely on the tree but off to the edge of the clearing sat Guardian, as he waited for her inspection to end.

She made another circle of the tree before looking to Guardian. "You have protected this new Arbor Lunae in its new home. Was the copse of trees your doing?"

Guardian shook his head. "No, but I have a feeling that it was no accident. The last tree did not survive after you left. I protected it as it slowly rotted to nothing..."

The alicorn nodded, and sighed. "My sister informed me of that... it withered and died without me here, but I intend to be on this world for a very long time." She smiled and gently brushes one of the leaves of the tree. "Have... you seen the Sol Lignum since I was banished?"

The arachnapony moved closer to his princess, slowly while he admired the tree. "No. I have been busy with simply avoiding contact with anything since the fall of the legion."

Luna sighed and looked her former legionnaire in the eyes. "I understand... have you contacted any other of your kind in recent times?"

Guardian sighed. "I haven't in a long time. I am very certain that I am the last of my species."

"I may have news on that. There have been rumors of other creatures in the more untamed lands within the kingdom. With any luck, one of those rumors might be true, and that creature might be another of my arachnaponies hiding." She smiled hopefully, and gave a small nod. "I hope that we can restore your species to the numbers it once had."

Guardian shook his head. "I have seen far too much of this kingdom to say that any others are hiding in a pocket of trees. My matriarch, sometimes it's best that we look at the most likely outcome. I watched my people die... there is no need to reopen an old wound with empty hope..."

Luna sighed and gave her old companion a scanning look. "I remember when you were the optimist... the world has been cruel to us both, but you have suffered so much more..."

The larger creature merely let out a small exhale and looked at the tree. "Suffered is putting it lightly... but, you said the other members of the legion are alive?"

The goddess nodded. “In a way, yes. The Thestrals, and Shedu are in my service again, but due to... odd circumstances, the thestral's are the members of my old legion, they were brought to this age with magic, so to speak. You're old comrade Sammael is currently looking into one of those stories for me."

Guardian returned his many eyed gaze to the mare near him. "So... he and those he commanded are alive... I suppose that is for the best. What of the Shedu? Is Abathar leading them as well?"

"Abathar died my old friend. The same enchantment that kept the thestrals from aging failed to last until my return. They have been working for my sister for nearly three hundred years now." She sighed and looked at the tree. "Our cat eyed friend died of old age... according to my sister, he died the way he wanted... in somepony else's bed..."

Much the to princess's surprise she heard the massive form next to her chuckle and looked at him to see a smile on his features. Guardian closed his eyes for a moment and chuckled more softly then sighed.

"I already mourned for them both, but it is good to have closure on how he passed at least. Shame I may never know how Jezebel passed... but enough of the past. You have two of your old Centurions to command again. What do you wish of me my matriarch?"

Luna smiled as the massive form bowed to her, and she felt a pang of affection. The fact that the old solider in front of her was old, disillusioned with the world, and probably cynical do to the tragedies he had suffered, he was still a loyal stallion to the legion he had volunteered to.

"My Centurion Belial. You have already been doing what I would ask of you. I wish to see that my tree is protected from all harm, and I think I can give you help with this task. My sister has a apprentice here, by the name of Twilight Sparkle—"

"I have already met her. She is smart, but naive. She was nearly killed by the tree when she saw it." Guardian’s voice was the only indication of what he thought of her. His tone was that of a disappointed observer. "I think she meant well, but she did not think her actions through... but I am willing to work with her if you command it."

The princess of the night nodded approvingly. "I shall discuss this matter with her, and make an arrangement for her to plan things out with you." She smiled at her old companion. "Have some faith in her, she is a good mare, with a good heart."

"I have seen what good mares do, and it led me to lose what faith I had in her kind. I work with her because of your orders, and the word of a friend. No more than that."

Guardian left nothing more to be said as he climbed into the tree's leaving the princess alone to sigh. She looked up to the full moon hanging over the Arbor Lunae, and drank in the feeling of being so much closer to her domain then she had felt in a millennia.

"Hopefully, we can make the next interaction more social Belial."

The princess of the night glided to the large library tree and took a moment to enjoy the decorations that Twilight and Spike had put up.

I enjoy the webbing... She chuckled to herself. How coincidental that she used that tonight of all nights. She looked at a nearby jack-o-lantern and sighed. Is that... a carving of an entire manticore?

Luna chuckled for a moment then moved to the door and knocked on it quickly. She heard voices from the other side and the sound of rushed hooves from behind the door. The wooden door opened quickly and Luna was met with the bright pink face of the party mare.

"Hiya Luna! What'cha doing here?"

The princess smiled at the mare that was beaming back at her, but only for a moment. "Well, I came to talk to you, and the other Element Bearers. is Twilight here?"

As Pinkie nodded, she turned around and took a deep breath as if to yell, but stopped at the purple mare she was going to retrieve was only a foot or so away. "Hey Twilight! Luna is here, and wants to talk to us."

"I gathered that." The purple mare bowed to the deep blue alicorn. "Please, come in. It's warmer in here."

The princess of the night entered the tree library, and looked around for a moment, looking at each of the three mares she had yet to talk to. Pinkie closed the door behind the princess and moved over to yellow pegasus and sat next to her. "Greetings, I came to talk to you all... but Rainbow Dash seems to be missing..."

The group shuffled for a few moments before Rarity spoke. "Well, we tried to find her, but we had no luck. I think she might be flying around helping, but that's only a guess at best... we thought we would meet up here, and figure out what to do about Guardian."

Luna's ears perked at the name of her Centurion. "You have met him as well?"

Rarity, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie all shook their head. Pinkie voiced their explanation. "Nope, but Twilight just told us about him."

The alicorn's gaze fell on Twilight. "I see. So, what do you know of him?"

"Only what he has told me..." The purple mare sighed. "And that is barely anything at all. I know he calls himself Guardian, he protects a magical tree, and that he is an arachnapony.” The mare let out a sigh that bore some annoyance. “Aside from that, nothing at all."

The Alicorn nodded slowly and a thoughtful gaze passed over her face. "Hmm... he's not forthcoming with his past... but I think you deserve to know if you are to help him protect the Arbor Lunae." She noticed the confusion at the name from three of the mares. "The magical tree. I shall explain that as well."

The princess summoned a large, alicorn worthy pillow, and sat down on it. The other mares gathered pillows for themselves, forming a small circle while looking at the princess of the night. The princess waited for a moment then took a breath and spoke in a gentle, and informative tone.

"The Arbor Lunae is a physical manifestation of the magics I wield. It's shares it's growth with my own, and as such, as my power waxes and wanes, so does it blossom and wither." Luna used her magic to create an image of the tree she spoke of, and had is softly glowing the pale white it did in real life. "But it's not completely unique in its nature." The tree she created split into two separate trees, the second one softly glowing gold and towering like an oak, over the willow that was the former.

"My sister's has been growing for a long time, and it has had a thousand years more to grow, where mine has had to start anew." The princess stared at the image of the silver willow, and sighed for a moment. "Still, these trees are dangerous to those that don't know how to act near them. They are as deadly as they beautiful, and even worse, they have a curious effect on all that look upon them."

Luna looked at the purple mare near her for a moment. "You have felt its effects on your mind. It drove you to try to discover it's secrets, and it made your curiosity insatiable. That caused you to nearly touch it."

Twilgiht felt her cheeks warmed in embarrassment as her friends all looked at her. "So... it can control your mind?"

"No." Luna shook her head. "It can influence your mind, but ultimately, you make the final choice."

Rarity spoke, curiosity in her voice. "So, are there only these two trees?"

Hesitation showed on the alicorns face and she shook her head. "No, but the only one we need to worry about is this one."

The golden tree faded away, and only the silver one remained. "Guardian is going to stay in the forest, and protect the tree, but I would like for you all to help him, but keeping the town calm, and preventing them from marching in there as a mob." She made the image fade and looked each the mares in the eyes. "I don't want him to do anything that could risk himself, or the tree."

The mares let out a small chorus of agreement, and silence fell on them for a moment before the purple unicorn spoke.

"Princess... how did Guardian come to be how he is... was he always like that? I mean his physical appearance..." The mare finished and shuffled on her pillow for a moment. "And... has he always been so antisocial?"

Luna looked the mares over for a moment, then her horn glowed softly as the curtains of the windows were drawn, and the distinct click of the doors lock was heard.

"What I am about to tell you is a part of Equestrian history that hasn't been heard in over a thousand years. None of this has ever been told to any mortal since the events unfolded."

She created a small image of herself and her sister, both glowing softly in similar colors of their respective trees. Behind them, small armies formed, one of silver, and one of gold.

"When my sister and I ruled together all those years ago, we had two legions to settle the land, and to keep out citizens safe." She made the golden ponies disappear, and had four of the silver soldiers march up to the miniature version of herself. "My legion was split into four parts, each lead by a commander, whom I gave the rank of Centurion. In addition of the rank, I gave them an honorary name to accompany their rank."

She made her miniature image of herself disappear, along with three of the silver forms. "The one that you have met, is Guardian. His name was Bronze Hoof, but when he gained his rank of Centurion, he was renamed to Belial."

She made the solider before them gain armor, and grow to be slightly taller than a colt. "He was, and still is a loyal and powerful warrior. I chose him to defend the tree because he showed a unique trait that I had never seen." She made the tree appear near the warrior and made the warrior stand guard. "He seems to be immune to the tree's effects... or is incredibly strong in willpower to resist it for as long as he has."

"But Princess... if he was a Earth Stallion, how did he become the spider like pony he is now?"

The princess sighed and made the warrior turn into a darker silver image of Guardian. "That... is the tale of how my legion became what it is today."

One Thousand Years Ago

Luna looked down onto a large map, marked in several places with small symbols of moons and suns, the locations of her legion and her sister's legion. She looked up to see the four ponies walking in. The group was all clad in silver armor, adorned in creatures that dwelt in the night. Cats, bats, spiders, and more all were surrounding a large image of a full moon.

"Come in, mine Centurions. I hath a quest for us..."

Luna's story was interrupted by Pinkie. "Princess, can you make them talk normal?"

The other mortal mares groaned for a moment but Luna nodded and smiled. "I suppose I could... Now, no more interruptions."

The pink mare nodded, and made a motion to zip her lips closed, and the princess could swear she heard it zip.

"We came as soon as you summoned us." The large earthpony stallion answered, with a small bow. Luna looked at him for a moment; his large black form loomed over even his fellow warriors, which was complimented by his abilities to fight.

Her attention turned to the newest member of her loyal legionnaires, a deep sea green mare with the new name of Mihr, the name of an earthpony hero from before Equestria's founding. She was tall for a mare, but not as tall as the male centurion that was walking next to her, however she was as tall as her other peers. Her eyes were a piercing golden, which clashed perfectly with the silver of her armor.

Next to the mare was the only magically adept member of Luna's council. The unicorn was of a deep cobalt, and had a mane like embers, which made his armor look slightly mystic as his mane formed the crest of his helmet, spilling out like lava from a silver volcano. His name was appropriate for his race, Harut, which was the name of a powerful hero from the ancient unicorn legends.

Luna cast her gaze to the final member, a pegasus stallion with a midnight blue coat, his gaze moving from the map to the mare for a few seconds then back to the tables contents, only to return to her a few minutes later. His name was Sammael, her first centurion, and as such she had named him herself. In ancient times, the name meant loyalty, and as such he had earned the name.

"I know that you all have been briefed about the attacks in the eastern wilds of the kingdom." Her company nodded silently. "Things have devolved even more as of the last report... and we have news of source of this attack." She pulled up a scroll with her magic, and passed it to the closest of her soldiers, Harut. "There is a coven of unicorns there, harnessing dark magic to control the monsters."

The leaders of the legion nodded and looked at the map. Luna spoke once more, in a more authoritative tone.

"Since we are spread thin at the moment, I will need to use the forces closest to the covens last known location." She looked upon the largest stallion. "Belial, your legion will be the one to respond and remove this threat to the kingdom."

"As your wish, Matriarch." The stallion spoke in his deep voice, and gave Luna a small bow.

Matriarch... That old joke will never die will it... Luna gave a small nod to the stallion and moved a small marker across the map before them, and placed it on a small point, a small town called Deepwood.

"Princess... sorry to interrupt, but... Matriarch?"

Luna looked at the apple pony and smiled. "Oh, right. It was an old nickname my legion had for me. When I gave my first address to them, I made a remark..." The princess tapped her chin as she thought for a moment. "It was something along the lines that I was their new mother, and the legion was going to be their new family. Soon the officers were calling me that, and the soldiers followed soon after."

The princess's face warmed for a moment then became serious once more. "Now then, I will skip the more... mundane portions..." She stopped as Twilight slowly raised her hoof. "Yes Twilight?"

"The names of your commanders... three of them were old heroes or good creatures... but... Belial..."

"Ahh, he picked his name because he knew the stories of the demon it came from." The princess sighed. "He always thought in terms of war, and he knew that a name of a demon would work for him. Some of the ponies that had fought him claimed he was a demon himself. Granted it was not true at all, but the old enemies of the kingdom didn't need to know that."

The princess looked at the other ponies. "Now then, let's continue with my tale. I will answer any questions once I finish."

Luna stood in a large office, which belonged to the mayor of Deepwood, and she gazed out of the large windows behind the almost comically large desk. She watched the members of the night legion on the street below as they moved crates of supplies around. The green stallion that worked in the office paced back and forth, stopping every few moments to run a hoof through his mane and sigh.

"You're certain of this your majesty? I'm not one to doubt you, or your sister, but these monsters are very dangerous..."

Luna looked upon the mayor of Deepwood and nodded. "I will not let this coven terrorize my ponies anymore."

The mayor opened his mouth to speak, but the door of the office opened and Belial walked in, wearing his armor. "You're highness, nightfall is in an hour. We are ready to strike, at your command."

The stallion gave a small bow to the princess, and stayed prone, waiting for her to speak. The princess looked out the window again, watching some of her warriors talking as they gave some food to a mare and her father as they passed.

"Rise, and ready the troops. We shall march upon the coven soon, and end this. If they are smart they will not attack while we are here, and will be defensive." The mare watched her centurion rise. "Maybe luck will be with us, and they will have nothing to stop us from bringing them to justice."

The mayor let out a small chuckle, in hope that his princess was making a joke. "Best of luck your majesty."

Luna nodded to the stallion, pausing only to motion to Belial that he should follow her. Walking out of the office, her horn glowed, encasing her in a dull white light, the light solidified into a set of elegant armor, almost skin tight, but functional in it's purpose.

"Belial, this will be dangerous... this coven is using dark magics..." The mare gave a worried look to the stallion. "Manticores... they used them to attack the town..." The goddess sighed. "So many killed..."

The deep voice of the stallion came from beneath the face covering helm. "I join the legion to keep others safe from things like this. If it wasn't dangerous, then the legion wouldn't be needed." His faceplate turned to Luna. "We will stop them, even if it costs the legion my life."

"Thank you, my friend."

The helm nodded. "Of course, Matriarch."

Nearly an hour later, Luna stood at the gates of the small town, looking out to the wilds less than a stone’s throw away from her. She looked around her, an saw that there stood nearly two hundred ponies, mares and stallions alike, all awaiting for the orders of the stallion that was near her. The lunar goddess gave a small nod to Belial, and he returned it and looked to his soldiers. He gave a motion with his hoof, and like a great machine, they all began to march toward the wilds. Luna watched as the pegasai launched into the air, and moving into the trees of the forest, and formations made of shields, spears, and determination moved along, earth ponies forming the exterior, unicorns taking to the center, horn glowing at the ready.

The leader of the military might before Luna walked up to the princess. "Are you certain about joining us? If any harm came upon you..."

"I am. I wish to make sure they know the gravity of their crimes. Besides, your troops will need some moral boosting. If the reports are true, then we are walking into something very foul."

The pair exchanged fouled looks, face to covered face. They both knew that the attacks had been brutal, manticores, and other monsters of the wilds had been guided by something sinister, and something more than their base minds. The pair moved to the center of the nearest formation, Belial moving to the front of the formation, and the princess being surrounded by the unicorns.

As the forces moved into the forest, a sense of unease and a chill descended upon the legion, a sensation that made many of the ponies give thought to what was to come. Their breath formed small clouds before them, and many were glad that the armors padding gave them extra layers from this unnatural chill. The pegasai moving through the branches acted as the eyes and ears of the formations moving below them, and every few minutes they stopped moving, motioning to their companions below to slow, or even stop movement as they scanned ahead.

In the distance lights were spotted, and many of the formations began moving slowly around the source. Belial watched a few of the scouts’ motion to each other, and one of them descended down the tree and land near him. The scout gave a small bow to the stallion, and the voice of the mare he was looking at came forth, hushed but urgent.

"Centurion, we have spotted something ahead. It's appears to be a camp near the mouth of a massive cave." The mare pointed to the direction of the camp. "Manticores are patrolling it with several ponies, and they seem to be lax. I doubt they are expecting us."

The stallion nodded and turned to the nearest unicorn. "Inform the other formations that we will attack on my command."

A nod was all he needed to see to know that his order was being carried out. He moved his command formation forward until he could see through the trees, spotting several huts, tents and fire pits, which made the light. From his position he watched a guard of the small camp walk by, a manticore nearby, sniffing the air and licking its chops.

Belial drew his weapon of choice, a small sickle. What it lacked in true use in war, like the sword or halberd, it more than made up for in sheer brutality, and intimidation. Better to make the enemy fear facing you, and fear the threat of violence, than to have to actually use it. Then again... with the murders they have committed, I think I can make an exception to my rules. The stallion looked to his formation, and then to the princess that was with him. He gave them a simple gesture, and burst through the forage and underbrush and charged the patrolling pair.

To the unicorn that was charged, it was as if he had stepped into the gates of Tartarus, and had made himself a demons target. Charging him was a massive stallion, covered in silver, brandishing a sickle that glowed softly, a sickly pale glow. The last thing this stallion saw was a flash, and his head rolled across the forest floor.

Belial spent only a moment to contemplate the horrified look on the dead stallion’s face, before continuing his charge, not slowing from his previous swing as he moved before the startled manticore. The creature roared, shaking the tree, and making the ears of the centurion ring, but it did not slow him. With a mighty swing, he embedded the scythe in the side of the beasts skull, silencing it after a small gurgle escaped it's lips, and with a pull that could rip a mountain down, he removed his weapon, and a portion of the beasts face and eyes, from the skull. He felt the ichor of the monster splash against his armor, and exposed fur, and the warmth of it was surprising, steam rising from the carcass before him, and his now soiled armor.

The camp was now alerted and many of the guards were now descending on the stallion, but as they saw what had happened, some panicked, and cried out for help.

A voice that was chilling rose from the shadows. "YOU HAVE EARNED THIS FATE, SURRENDER, AND MERCY MAY YET BE GIVEN!!"

For but a moment, silence filled the camp, and once that moment fell away, Belial charged the nearest manticore to him, as several of the pegasai from above descended from the shadows, like shades from the lowest pits of Tartarus.

Cries of panic filled the air, but they were soon replaced with war cries of both sides, and the sound of blades clashing rang through the air. From the mouth of the cave pour dozens of the covens ponies, and they met the formations of the legion in a tidal wave of unholy vigor.

Belial struck the limb from a mare that was trying to gouge his eyes with a barbed blade, she laughed as blood poured from her gaping wound, and charged him again. Maniacal laughter followed her movements and the centurion landed another blow, knocking her to the ground. The mare attempted to stand but merely flailed and then fell still. The stallion let out a small breath and looked towards the cave, seeing more members of the coven pour from it. As he moved to try to stem the flow, he was struck from the side, and was knocked from his stable footing.

A shrill scream reached his ears. "I shall rend the flesh from your bones!"

Belial looked to the source of the attack, and spotted the mare, the one he had just finished fighting, standing before him, her severed leg being forced into the wound, ropes of sinew attaching the lost limb, giving life back to the dead limb and reattaching it to the mare.

"I shall make an alter from your bones!" The mare lunged at Belial, and he braced, ready to do the job much better the second time, however he never got the chance. The mare was engulfed in blue flames and began screaming. Looking for the source of the fire, he spotted the princess of the moon walking towards him.

"I doubt she is the only one doing this, so we need to get in that cave and remove the source of this magic, now."

The stallion nodded, and began running towards the mouth of the cave, soon followed by the princess, and his formation. More of the coven met them at the mouth, and the fighting became much more intense, each of the coven members screaming in a frenzy, and the warriors of the legion answering with warcries, and efficient military combat.

Luna grabbed a stallion with her magic and tossed him into the cave wall, and for a moment scanned the group, spotting a mare far in the back, yelling into the cave, and pointing towards the princess and the legion. This mare stood out, due to the long black robe she was in, and the necklace of animal skulls around her neck her mane was long, and snow white, a stark contrast with the robe.

The mare locked eyes with the princess, smiling as they looked at each other through the carnage. The mare eyes and horn glowed a ruby shade of energy, then shot forth, striking a nearby legionnaire.

The voice of the mare was almost the opposite of what should have come out of such a figure. It was like silk, smooth and even. "You fools will die here!"

Luna looked to the warrior that was hit, and watched as they crumpled to the ground, blood pouring from their mouth, and what were worse, maggots as well. A moment later the flesh of the pony dissolved away, leaving nothing but bone, and armor. The princess' face hardened, and looked back to the now cackling mare. The mare began running deeper into the cave, and out of view.

"Belial!" She spotted her centurion ripping his weapon from the ribcage of one of the cultists. "We have to stop that mare! She may be the leader."

Her shouts reached the stallion and he looked down the gullet of the cave. "Then let's go get her!"

Both made their way down the cave, stopping only for a moment to fight the wave of coven members attacking them. Luna's horn glowed nonstop as she launched bolts of energy, or tossed ponies into the waiting blade of her warrior. Luna watched Belial for a moment, his blade slicing through the flesh of the coven members with no precision that would mark a skilled swordspony, or finesse of a duelspony. He fought with a simple ferocity, sheer force that left his opponents devastated. He did all that while making no sound. Not a war cry left his lips, nor any grunts or growls. A silent killer, drenched in blood, wielding a weapon that his namesake made famous.

If she didn't know him personally, or know that he was loyal to her, and the kingdom, he would almost scare her. Almost. "Belial, there is a bend ahead, she must be there!"

The stallion disarmed a coven pony that was holding a dagger, and slammed them to the ground, knocking them unconscious. He took a moment to scan the cave and saw that they were now the only two ponies left standing.

"Let's hope there is no back door to this place."

The princess gave a solemn nod and they moved deeper into the cave. The cave lead upward gently until they made it to the bend that the mare disappeared behind, and once they made it beyond the corner it began to descend steeply, the grooved, and well-worn floor forming uneven stairs down into a murky blackness that only a single torch deeper in the cave managed to shine.

Belial moved through the darkness and moved to the torch. He motioned for the princess to approach. As the princess drew near, she spotted a cloth hanging near the torch, and a faint ruby glow coming from within. Luna drew closer, and heard a faint chanting from beyond. It was the same silky voice of the mare that had killed one of her legionnaires, and seemed to be in charge of the coven.

"She's summoning eldritch energy." Luna whispered to her companion. "We need to stop her before she finishes whatever she is doing."

The centurion nodded and moved through the hanging cloth into the small portion of the cave. The first thing that both the entering ponies noticed was that the room was not the natural worn cave of the previous areas. It was smooth stone, cut into a perfect circle with a small pit in the center, in which the mare was standing, with books floating around her.

"Ahh, I see you made it." The mare spoke, looking up from a nearby tome. "Shame this encounter cost you so many lives."

Luna strode towards the mare. "It will be paid for with yours then."

The princess reached the edge of the pit when she felt a sudden shift in the magical energy around her, like the ocean receding from the shore before a tsunami.

"What are you doing?" Luna felt the air begin to stir and cave itself seemed to want to move away from the mare.

A cackle came from the coven's leader. "If my coven is to die, and me with it, then I shall give you all this parting gift." Her eyes began to shimmer and red mist poured from her mouth. "Farewell princess, I shall enjoy this!"

The goddess had only a fraction of a second to create a shield around herself as bright red tendrils of mist exploded from the pit the mare was in, shooting across the room, on striking Belial in the chest, then shooting out of his back and through the caves they had recently come from. Luna's sight shifted away from the pit, in which she could no longer see the mare, to the stallion. She watched as he fell to the ground, moaning.

"Belial!" She moved to him, keeping her shield up as tendrils bounces off of it. "Speak to me. Can you hear me?"

Her answer came in a scream of agony that issued froth from the stallion, and much to her horror, he thrashed as something seemed to happen to him. His fur was darkening, growing longer, and coarser. He began clawing at his helmet, and tossed it aside letting out another scream. Luna took a step back in fear as she watched his skull split, and in the openings, pure black eyes looked back at her.

Her attention was torn away from the new eyes to the limbs sprouting from the chest of her centurion. Another cry left his lips as all of his legs, including the new ones flailed as he writhed in pain. A moment passed and his thrashing stopped, and he lay on the floor, a completely changed being. Luna took a step closer to the form on the floor, a much larger form then the stallion that the spell had hit.

"Belial... Bronze Hoof... please... say something."

She thought about moving closer but the sudden thought of where the spell had originated made her turn around and look into the pit. Inside was nothing but a pile of ash, and a few singed tomes. The mare killed herself in an attempt to kill us... She toyed with powerful magics, and it cost her...

She returned her attention to the form of the stallion, and spotted the subtle rise and fall of his chest. He lives... but what did this spell do to him... She moved closer, and bent down to inspect the pony. She noticed the new set of pincers at his mouth, and the replacement of his tail with a large abdomen. It's... turned him into some sort of... arachnid pony hybrid... but why? She killed the other legionnaire without doing this... unless...

Her attention turned to the door as the horror of what the mare truly sank in. He wasn't the only one...

Luna spent a moment looking at a bookshelf across the room of her, lost in thought for a moment. "I learned later that night that the curse was meant to turn myself, and the legion I led into creatures of the night, so that we too would be hunted. When I left that cave, I thought it was only those there with me, but it was my entire legion. Every member was turned into one of three things: A Anrachnapony, a thestral, or a shedu..."

The princess paused as she saw some confusion pass over all but the purple mare before her. "Or to put it more simply, a batpony, an arachnapony, or a catpony, depending on what you were before."

"Cat pony?" Applejack spoke in a hushed, but interested tone. "Ah ain't heard of them..."

The princess nodded. "Not many have. They, like the arachnaponies, became legend, as most hide from the public, but now they work for me in Canterlot. Their numbers are not great, but they are alive, like the batponies that serve me."

Luna created a image of herself, pouring over some slightly burned books. "I spent the next few years studying the books, looking for a way to reverse the curse on my ponies... but I couldn't find one." She let out a heavy sigh. "Many of their lives were ruined, families broken apart, and relationships lost... her curse worked... I watched the legion I saw as a family crumble and be destroyed, while I could do nothing to save them..."

The princess wiped her eyes as her voice broke, and looked away from the gathered mares. "The next part you know. I took on the form of Nightmare Moon, and tried to take control of the kingdom... as you are well aware I failed."

The mares remained silent, each waiting for Luna to continue her tale. The alicorn sighed once more and looked at them all for a moment before speaking in a more controlled voice.

"With me gone, things fell apart even more. Some of the legion were hunted as monsters, the Arachnaponies more than the others due to the greater nature of the change... I believe they changed more because of Belial being the first one hit, making the fate of his fellow earth ponies’ worse..." Her voice wavered and she took a breath. "Before Celestia could act, all of the arachnaponies were killed, or went into hiding... so she saved the cat ponies, and bat ponies by placing them into a magical hibernation, to wait for my return... and that... is how we got to this night..."

The mares looked at one another in the silence and moments passed before any of them spoke.

Rarity cleared her throat. "Well... what do we do then?"

The princess swallowed after a moment of collecting her thoughts. "We calm the townsponies, and get them to understand that Belial is not dangerous. After that, your five, and Rainbow Dash will be able to help keep the Arbor Lunae safe."

At the mention of their pegasus friend, the five mares frowned. Luna scanned them for a moment, and only now noticed the absence of the prism maned pony.

"Where... where is Dash?"

Twilight sighed. "We don't know. Last any of us saw her she chased after Guardian..."

The princess bit her lip for a moment. "I spoke to him earlier tonight, and Dash was not with him... nor did I see her when I returned to town..." She paused as she saw her words made the mares' faces become worried for their friend. "But I am certain she is perfectly well... I think we should try to calm the town. The sooner the better."

The mares nodded and all of them got up from their seats and began to move to the door, to help bring the town back to a normal level of calm.

On the outskirts of the town, Dash landed hard in a field. She was breathing hard, she felt as though no matter how deep her breaths were, they weren't enough. Her chest heaved for several moments, and she took a moment to look at the starry sky, then retched on the grass infront of her, her legs shaking so bad she feared she would fall into her sick.

She heaved a few more times and fell backwards, onto the sick free grasses, and looked up at the moon. I... I nearly died tonight... it had me right where it wanted me, and could have killed me in an instant.

"But... it... no he, didn't..." Her voice made mist as she barely whispered her words. "He called me the monster..."

Her thoughts ran over the entire night, and she tried to justify what she did, but she simply couldn't. She had attacked him first, and had chased him, spending not a moment to check on Pinkie, or to see what had happened. She had acted without thinking, and now she was lucky he hadn't killed her for it. Any other creature would have done that, but he let her go. She had to admit something to herself that she rarely ever did.

“I was wrong…”

She coughed and turned to her side as another wave of nausea hit her. She coughed again and held her stomach and she felt her heart racing, threatening to break free of her chest, and it felt like it would never slow down. She closed her eyes as tears came out. She didn't feel brave, strong or sure of herself. She felt like a filly that had been punished, and didn't feel very much like moving at all for the rest of that night.

She wrapped her wings around herself and muttered as she curled up into a ball. A cold breeze drifted across the field, and Dash lay there, hoping that the sweet release of sleep would take her soon.