• Published 27th Oct 2012
  • 12,543 Views, 828 Comments

The Legend of the Arachnapony - RaijingtheClockworkPony



Sometimes the craziest legends are the true ones. When Apple Bloom stumbles upon an anceint source of magic she discovers a very ancient creature.

  • ...
28
 828
 12,543

Meeting the Neighbor

Guardian watched the young ponies from the treetops of the forest. When they stopped on the road he noticed that they seemed to be debating something. He dropped to the ground and swiftly entered the overgrown field that flanked the road. He stayed low to the ground and used his heightened sense of smell and hearing to get near the ponies without being spotted. He drew closer to them making sure that he kept his body close to the ground.

He drew near and heard something that sounded like a scuffle. At first he wondered if they had started fighting each other but after a moment he heard the voice of the white one.

"Let me handle this."

He didn’t see what happened next so he crouched lower to the ground and slowly advanced so that he could see through the tall grasses.

The white one spoke again. "May I talk to you for a second in private?"

He found a small gap in the grass and spotted the unicorn and pegasus colt. Both walked over to the side of the road. They stopped a fair distance away from their friends, and stood close to where Guardian was hiding.

The pegasus spoke in an almost pleading tone. "I can't just hide the photos from everypony. We'll get made fun of if we don't show them!"

The unicorn moved closer to the colt. "What if I made a deal with you? Would that change your mind?"

The colt raised an eyebrow at her. "What kind of deal are you talking about?"

The unicorn shuffled on her hooves for a moment then took a breath. "I was thinking that ...m-maybe I could model for you."

Guardian watched with amusement as a blush came over the colts face. His amusement only grew as the pegasus tried to speak in a calm voice. He failed miserably.

"What? You want to model for me... why?"

More shuffling of hooves. "I've had a crush on you for a while now... I was hoping that this could be a chance to get to know you better."

A small silence followed. The colt walked closer to the unicorn. "I've had a crush on you too. So this would be a date?"

She nodded and looked him in the eyes. "Only if you promise not to show those photos."

The pegasus moved closer to her. "I think I can agree with that. So does this mean were special someponies now?"

The unicorn nodded. If Guardian had the ability to, he would have rolled his eyes in the same fashion as the ponies he had seen. Instead he mimicked the head motion and started to slink back to the forest. His curiosty sated, he was now certain that they would keep him a secret from all but the most trustworthy of ponies. He made it back to the tree line and quickly ascended up the trees back into the comforting darkness. Moving quickly amongst branches he returned to the clearing that was home to the Arbor Lunae. He landed on the forest floor with a soft thump and started to circle the tree.

It's been to long since I last had a chance to communicate with such young creatures. Annoyances all of them. He tilted his head to the side and felt a series of pops and cracks. He did the same on the other side then returned his gaze to the softly swaying tree. She nearly touched it. She could have killed herself... not that she knew about the danger it posed to her. Still the youth should learn to never mess with things they don't understand. He stopped circling the tree and shifted his attention to the opening in the circle. He made his way over to it and squeezed his way through. It would be best if I made sure they can't come wandering back whenever they feel like. He followed the path they had made through the fallen leaves to the first of the marked trees. He used a clawed limb to wipe away the chalk then started walking toward the next tree.

They did have the open mind to accept me at face value. Interesting but sad. They too will hate me in the end like all the others of their kind. He reached another tree and began wiping it clean of the chalk. He walked through the forest. I haven't walked this much in years. I also haven't been in touch with the ponies as well. I should check up on their culture to see if they have changed. He reached yet another tree, wiped it clean and began walking again. He spotted the next tree and the road next to it. Wipeing the chalk off and starting to remove the now white powdery stain on his own limb.

He was ready to leap into the tree he had just cleaned when he heard hooves on the path. Only one set and too heavy to be one of the foals. He grabbed hold of the trunk with all of his limbs and quickly ascended up to just below the first branch and looked to the path. From the brush some ten yards away from the tree he was now hanging in, emerged a creature he didn't recognize. It was tall and lithe like a mare but stripped and wore strange rings about its neck, left foreleg and in its ears.

Who is this? Not a pony, the scent is wrong, as is the body shape. Sentient though. He watched as it walked along the edge of the path ,its eyes scanning the underbrush, searching for something. He followed the interesting creature for a few minutes before it stopped and headed into the brush. He leaped from the side he was sitting in to the other and watched it as it picked a bright orange plant from a tree it was growing on. Herbalist. Highly intelligent to do such a job in a forest such as this.

He moved onto another branch, as he did so one of his hoofs landed on a dead limb causing it to snap and fall to the forest floor below. It landed in a bush beneath the tree causing a noticeable *Foowmp* on the ground. The creature he was observing turned around quickly and looked for the source of the noise. Not spotting any, it spoke in a deep soothing tone.

"Who is there unseen, sneaking up on me during my routine?"

Female and a rhymer... very interesting. Silence was all that answered the female below him. She let out a small sigh.

"A small creature must have passed, so much noise for one that moves so fast."

He recognized the tone in her second verse. Barely contained panic. She was trying to calm her shot nerves by convincing herself that the noise was caused by something harmless. He felt a sudden wave of pleasure as the hunter within knew that this was the best kind of prey. The panicked prey made mistakes and mistakes lead to capture. He crouched low in the tree and his vision narrowed on her. She moved with a quickened pace back to the path all the while looking around to make sure nothing was near her. The hunter in Guardian could only watch her with amusement. They never look up. He moved slowly through the tree and watched her walk onto the path. The dark voice within him was now screaming at his mind, demanding that the hunt begin. We swore never to eat ponies but this isn't one. He shook his head. NO. She may not be a pony in scent but if she is part pony then she cannot be harmed.

She started up the path at a fast pace, almost cantering through the forest. If the hunter in Guardian was only barely contained before then now it was having no trouble taking over. The sight of her almost fleeing in panic made his mind snap and the hunter took over. His vision tunneled on her and he lowered himself so that he was hanging on the trunks of the tree and leaped to the next tree making sure to land heavy so he could create noise.

The loud *thud* he made on the tree reached the creature beneath him. She turned around quickly to scan the path and all the surrounding foliage. Instinct told him to wait but the hunter wasn't listening to that. This was for the thrill now. He slammed his fore-hooves into the tree causing it to splinter and let out a crack like a lightning bolt. If she was frightened before she was terrified now. She sprinted up the path. Now she'll die tired. He leaped from trunk to the branches of another tree so he could keep her in sight. Leaping from tree to tree he lost all notions of stealth and subtlety he had before. He wanted her scared; so that when she was in his web she wouldn't have the strength or hope to fight him off.

From his vantage point he spotted a growing source of light in the distance. A small hut of some kind came into view. He let out a low growl and moved swiftly ahead of the fleeing creature. A feeling of pure adrenaline came over the hunter as he prepared himself for the capture. She ran towards the hut and even from up in the tree he could hear the sigh of relief that escaped her lips. She slowed down and took a moment to stop and catch her breath. Guardian steadied himself and waited for her to begin moving again.

All the better. Now I get to break her hope. She started walking towards the safety of her hut. She was almost beneath him when he shot out the web to capture her. She was stunned for a moment but that didn’t last long, because the next moment the hunter pulled. She was lifted into the air screaming but was silenced when she saw what was lifting her into the darkness of the trees. Her eyes widened in terror and started to thrash in the web that held her. The hunter gave her no time to attempt escape. He moved swiftly around her, cocooning her in web leaving only her head and neck exposed.

KILL. FEAST. He closed the gap to her neck. It was so inviting to take a bite and he needed to accept that invite. He was so close. Her scent filled his nostrils and he could see the sweat beading on her neck. He was so close now.

"No. Please."

He froze an inch away from her neck with his fangs bared. He had heard that tone before from a small filly. It was a tone that was lost of all hope, a voice that spoke of having nothing left but a small glimmer of hope, barely even a spark in a world of darkness. His mind slowly cleared from the murderous hunger that had consumed him. He slowly drew back and looked her in the eyes. She was silently sobbing in the cocoon, her eyes closed as she awaited the end. When it didn't come she slowly opened her eyes. The fear in her eyes made him retreat into the shadows leaving her hanging there.

"Please, let me go, great creature I do not know. Undo these webs that bind me, please show me mercy."

For a moment there was no movement from within the trees. She looked at the shadows for a long time hoping that the creature that had captured her would let her go, but as the moment wore on she realized that it wasn't going to. She closed her eyes again and waited for the creature to finish the job. However she felt a sudden falling sensation and opened her eyes to see that the ground was now getting closer to her. She braced for impact with the ground but it never came. She felt her back gently touch the ground and felt something move over her stripping away the web.

She quickly got out of the remaining strands and sprinted for the hut. Guardian watched her as she ran, his mind in a cold shock. I nearly killed a living soul. I almost consumed her. He launched himself into the trees and leaped away from the path. He didn't know how long nor how far he had traveled but when he finally came to a stop he was in tree on the edge of a large lake.

He dropped down to the waterside and splashed the icy water onto his face. I lost control. I nearly became the monster they called me. I nearly killed her, an innocent mare that had done nothing wrong other than walk on that path. He dipped his head under the water and shook it as hard as he could. He was frightened by his own actions. He never came that close to killing before, and it shook him to his core.

If that was one of the foals... He smacked himself hard. NO. I would never harm a child. He sat down half submerged in the water. But I nearly ate the mare. If I had done the deed how many more would I have to kill before I stopped caring how old they were? He splashed his face again. He didn't want to think about that. He wouldn't do that ever, and yet he had come so close to breaking an oath he had taken so long ago.

He lifted himself from the chilled waters and headed back into the forest. He found his way back to the circle of trees after an hour of aimlessly wandering through the forest. He landed near the glowing tree and sat down to watch the endless motion of the leaves. His mind went blissfully blank for what felt like hours as he let the light wash over him, but his mind refused to let him relax so easily. His thoughts turned to the foals that had invaded the sacred ground he had sworn to protect.

What if this day was meant to bring me back to the society that rejected me so long ago? He closed his eyes and sighed, but found himself thinking along that line much more. What if this was some sort of fate? What if all that had happened over the past few days all meant something more significant?

"I suppose a visit to the young one wouldn't hurt."