• Published 27th Oct 2012
  • 12,554 Views, 828 Comments

The Legend of the Arachnapony - RaijingtheClockworkPony



Sometimes the craziest legends are the true ones. When Apple Bloom stumbles upon an anceint source of magic she discovers a very ancient creature.

  • ...
28
 828
 12,554

Soup in the Forest

A dark red stallion walked through the halls of the Rich Manor, stopping only for a moment as he passed the room housing Silver and his companion as he heard the distinct noises of lovers at work. He chuckled to himself.

"Teens." He continued his walking down the hall, and moved past the open door to his own sleeping quarters.

Red Trail passed his room and he heard a husky voice behind him. "Hey there tall, red, and brooding. What are you doing up to so late?"

He turned and was going to speak, but stopped himself as we blinked at the black mare. She was laying on her bed with one hoof holding up her head, and the other tracing little circles on the blanket. The stallion gave her a blank stare then let out a small sigh.

"I am going for a patrol through the woods. I want to find out what sort of land we are working with."

"But it's so cold out there. Come in here, and warm up and relax." She sang to him in a playful tone.

"No. We have work to do and I'd rather see it done sooner rather than later." He rolled his eyes at her, grabbing a satchel from his luggage, and turned to leave.

"You skedaddle along then, but I'll be here when you get back." She giggled and closed the door, leaving the stallion to sigh and continue his walk.

Crazy mare... what is wrong with her?

The stallion walked along the halls of the mansion, rubbing his temple in annoyance due to the mare's actions, and reached the main hallway. He made his way down the stairs, studying the hoof-rails as his mind drifted back to the mare in the bedroom. Maybe she is a seductress and she uses that to gather information... or she's a harlot.

He shrugged mentally and walked towards the front door of the mansion but stopped as the owner stepped out of a side room and nearly collided with him.

"Oh, pardon me Mister Trail. Didn't quite see you there." The earth pony chuckled and took a step to the side to let the stallion pass. "Going somewhere?"

Red Trail nodded. "I was going to take a walk and maybe visit the forest nearby."

The brown stallion looked him over, his eyes reading him, scanning for motive. "I see." He nodded and gave the younger stallion a small smile. "Be safe, and avoid the Poison Joke. The stuff grows like weeds out there."

The pegasus gave a small nod and walked towards the door. "Thank you. I will try to be silent on my return."

Red Trail walked through the door and felt the crisp air of the autumn night wash over his fur. He smiled and spread his wings, letting a small breeze flow through his feathers. With only a moment to savor the moment then began his trip along the small road. His goal was in the distance, and as luck would have it, the location of the mansion near the outskirts of town was also near the forest.

The trees in the distance loomed over the field and road he was on, and seemed unnaturally dark. He stopped along the road and gazed at the tree line, his eyes caught by the motion of a deer prancing out of the forest, and heading towards the field. He watched the grace of the animal and felt himself smile at the simple act.

Red Trail sat down for a moment and watched the simple animal prance around the field.

Such a wonderful sight, one of nature’s lovely animals...

The stallion sighed and followed the buck's progress as it passed near him, pausing for a moment to look at him and sniff the area, and the prance out of sight, back into the woods. He deeply loved watching nature in action, and felt at peace when he was in a natural place.

"I miss the old forest reservation..."

He gave no more thoughts to the matter, and began moving towards the trees. He had a reason for being out here, and he wasn't about to waste any more time. His hooves left the dirt road, and began treading on the leaves of the forest floor. The last rays of the stars and moon died away and he found the darkness of the forest far more unsettling than he would have thought.

This place... this forest is not like the others I've been to. It feels so... He looked to a nearby tree as he pulled out a small lantern and searched for a match to light the lamp. Primal.

He struck the match and placed the flame to the wick of the lantern. The wick lit quickly and the light of the lantern spilled over the fronds and undergrowth. His gaze fell upon a freshly broken stem of a plant, and the small depression in the mulch of the floor.

The deer went through here. He followed the trail. I suppose the best way to learn the lay of the forest is a simple tracking exercise.

He set off into the woods, his ears twitching a little as the calls of many nocturnal insects and birds entered the air, creating a symphony for the woods. The soft crunch of the leaves beneath his hooves was all the interrupted the night song around him. He followed the trail deeper into the woods as it twisted and turned through the trees.

He studied his targets trail and noticed that the animal stood in the spot he was studying for a while, given how the hoof marks were clustered together.

It stopped... none of the plants look damaged, so it didn't eat. He studied the surrounding vegetation and spotted a set trampled fern. Something startled it, and it bolted... He followed the new trail and felt uneasy about something. There was only one set of tracks, and the deer's tracks were in a sprint after several hundred feet later.

Either this is a deer that is startled really easily... or it was chased by something air borne or lighter than air. He stopped following the trail at the thought. If this is a creature that leaves no trail, then it is either a flying creature, or a tree dweller. His eyes moved to the trunks of the trees and felt his heart beat quicken as he spotted no marks.

Not a Tree Screamer... or a Venomous Squirrel. Maybe a giant Vampire Raven. He felt a chill run down his spine. I'd love to see one of those in action. A Venomous Squirrel would be amazing to watch. He smiled again at the thought of watching nature take its course. Nature can be so fascinating.

He followed the new trail and went deeper into the woods and after a few minutes he found himself walking into a small glade. The trail moved through it and to the opposite side, but Red Trail stopped in the middle of the field as a sudden wave of discomfort washed over him. A tiny voice in the back of his mind began screaming at him to flee, and to get away from the trees ahead of him.

Something isn't right about this... He looked around; trying to find what was making him feel unsettled. He couldn't see anything in the glade, and he spotted nothing soaring across the stars above him. He bit his lip and gently shook his head, driving the unease away from his mind. He spotted the trail, and followed it to the edge of the glade and once he entered the trees, his unease grew even more.

Where's the trail? The hoof prints on the undergrowth suddenly stopped. No broken vegetation, no upturned leaves, and no sign of a bones or a body. It can't have been carried off. Nothing that flies that would chase it could do that and leave no marks. He swallowed nervously and it was then that his ears picked up on why he was so uncomfortable.

It's silent... He felt a chill run up his spine. A forest should never be this quiet.

He shuffled as he once more scanned the foliage, hoping to find something to close to a new trail. He found nothing, and another wave of despair washed over him. What could possibly do... what's on my leg?

His eyes snapped to his leg and he spotted a massive spider, easily the size of his hoof slowly crawling up his limb. His blood ran cold and it took a moment for his mind to fully process the fact a large spider was now on his leg. He watched it and felt it's legs grab at his fur and slowly climb up, it's many eyes glinting in the lantern light. Part of his mind recognized it as a non-venomous species, but the rest of his mind, and his body, found that information less than comforting.

He quickly kicked his leg, sending the large arachnid flying into the undergrowth, and spent a few moments shuddering at the sensation it had caused. The stallion took a few breaths to calm himself and for his heart to slow down. He shuffled in place and tried his hardest to think of anything else when some movement in on a nearby flower. It was swaying lightly and slowly returning to normal, but a moment passed, and it jerked suddenly to the side, as if hit by something on the leaf. A wet thud followed a moment later, like that of a heavy rain drop.

That can't have been rain... the sky was clear a moment ago, and I'm not that deep into the forest. Another drop hit the flower, and the stallion looked up, and quickly found himself wishing he hadn't. The lantern provided poor light, but with what little it did give, he could see the buck tangled up in silvery threads, which took him a moment to tell was webbing. The buck gave a weak struggle, and it was made still as the shadowy form latched to its neck, which caused a small shower of blood.

Red Trail felt a drop hit his cheek, and he felt the warmth fade as quickly as he dropped his lantern. The light died the moment he saw the brown furred form of the predator. The shadowy form stopped and looked down, it's eyes glinting from above, like the spider he had tossed away, only much larger.

So this is how I die...

Guardian looked down upon the pony as he licked his lips and mandibles clean of his breakfast. The stallion had interrupted him by dropping his lantern, and was now staring up at him, or rather the shadows where he was sitting.

You'd think after my little visit they would stay out. Either he thinks himself a hero, or he is a moron. The large creature moved slowly and kept his eyes on the pegasus. What is it with pegasai wandering in here? First the blue bitch, now him.

The stallion below took a step backwards and Guardian could see him swallow. Why not run? Surely the sight of my meal would send him running. The Arachnapony slipped deeper into the shadows and watched the stallion begin searching for him. Much to the large creatures surprise, it was not with fear, but interest that the stallion picked up his lantern and tried to relight it. Guardian moved away from the meal and behind the stallion.

He watched amused as the stallion shined the newly lit lantern up towards the buck, and upon discovering the absence of Guardian, towards the nearby trees. The stallion swallowed again and looked around the trees to no avail. With a shaky voice the red pegasus spoke.

"Okay... that answers what happened to the deer..." The stallion looked around again and slowly walked backwards.

He is not running, and the tone of his voice is... scared, but also something else. Guardian moved down the tree silently. He is still looking, and he tracked a deer to its last moments. He is a hunter, or at least skilled in tracking, and his nerves show some resolve. The arachnapony tilted his head slightly and found himself becoming interested in why the stallion was here.

I've already talked to too many. Best to be rid of this one as well.

Guardian began spinning web, and launched some down, knocking the lantern from the stallions hoof, and breaking it, killing the light again, and before the stallion could react, he shot another strand. The web landed over the red pony's head, blinding him. The stallion gave out a scream of surprise and began trying to remove the webbing.

The arachnapony moved down the tree and quickly moved to the stallion. No, no more of that. He spun more web and kept it at the ready and barred his fangs. A nice bite to shut him up will be fine. He closed the gap, grabbed the stallion by the head and bit his neck, injecting a small dose paralytic venom into his veins. The blinded pony moaned in pain and struggled and slowly went limp in Guardians grasp.

With one last grasp at the web, the stallion went limp. Guardian began wrapping the stallion in the web, forming a cocoon around him. He is lucky this wasn't an hour ago. I might have been tempted to eat him. He finished his webbing, and placed the stallion onto his back. Now, let's put you back to your own people, and out of this forest.

Guardian moved along the trees, his eyes following the stallions trail back to the edge of the forest. He dropped the bundle next to the base of a tree, none to gently. He climbed to the top of the same tree and quickly scanned the fields. Looks like empty land... but there is a home in the distance. A manor of some sort or maybe another farm. He glanced down to the webbed stallion and shrugged. Don't care if he lives there. He will awake there in the morning.

The arachnapony descended down the tree and grabbed the stallion. As he placed the stallion on his back a small groan came from the web. Guardian looked at it and if he could roll his eyes he would have.

Pegasai never could take a hit.

Without another thought on the matter, he moved towards the mansion, finding himself spending most of the short trip watching the light breeze move the grasses, and ruffling his fur with its cool embrace. He paused and crouched low for a moment when he thought he spotted a pegasus in the sky. He watched the shadow in the sky, and found that as it moved in front of the crescent moon that it was nothing more than a swallow.

He stood back up, and watched the bird fly off for a moment before moving along. He reached the mansion in a few uneventful minutes and placed the webbed stallion on the steps of the front door.

It's been a long time since I've been near a building like this... a home of the wealthy. A noble probably.

He let out a small snort of disdain and turned to leave. He began walking away and stopped to look back for a moment. He shook his head.

This is nothing like then... I had something I wanted to return to. Nothing here is worth coming back for.

He began his brisk return. He had a breakfast to finish, and he hoped it had stayed warm.

Apple Bloom strode through the forest, her pace quick, and her ears twitching at every noise, hoping that it was Guardian come to talk. She had missed him, and this night was the first in a week that she had been able to come to Everfree. She stopped as she heard a soft crunch, and looked around her, spotting only a small toad sitting on a broken twig. It croaked at her and stared as she sighed.

Where are you Guardian? Ah need to see you... She kicked a small stone nearby, and then looked up as an idea struck her. The tree! He has to be near that!

She smiled and began walking towards the glade. She passed through the trees, stopping every so often to make sure she was going the right way. The filly approached a path and spotted a familiar form, and while it wasn't the one she was looking for, it was still a welcomed sight.

"Zecora!" She smiled and ran up to her friend.

The zebra jumped slightly at the sudden noise then smiled as she turned and hugged the filly. "I was not expecting a friend, is this late night traveling a new trend?"

Apple Bloom giggled and shook her head. "Not all the time. Ah just wanna see Guardian. What are you doing out so late?"

Zecora pointed to a few small plants in front of her. "Gathering the nightly leaves and stems, but most are harder to find then gems." She gathered the plant with skilled hooves and chuckled. "Perhaps I need to ask a favor, Guardians help for some of their flavors."

The young pony tilted her head in confusion, which took a moment for the zebra to notice. She smiled and pointed to the plant resting in her bag.

"I will barter with my cooking and soup, if he can gather me many herbs in one swoop." She gave a small chuckle and motioned for Apple Bloom to follow her. "Let us search for our friend so large, then once we have we shall find a place to recharge."

The filly followed the zebra mare, and they walked through the woods, stopping every now and then to pick herbs, or for Zecora to point out a nearby animal. They came upon the glade that was home to the Arbor Lunae, and Zecora glanced along the tree tops for a moment then sat upon the forest floor.

"I suggest we wait for our companion, he will drop down and surprise us as so often happens." Zecora opened a small pouch and pulled out a small loaf of herb bread, and offered it to Apple Bloom. "Do you hunger my little Bloom, a fine bread is better than any phleum."

The young pony chuckled, slightly confused, and took some of the bread, and nibbled lightly on it. "So... are you and Guardian gettin' along fine?"

The mare nodded. "He has not visited me since the first time, he seems quite amused by my rhymes. I think perhaps he would call me friend, but to his inner thoughts I can't pretend." She took a small bit of her own bread. She chewed in silence then swallowed as a small breeze came through the glade. "He is silent and spends his days alone, so of his harsh ways I do not bemoan. However I think he is softer than he lets on, he is more than harsh words and impressive brawn."

Apple Bloom nodded and then looked to the mare, confused once more. "Impressive brawn? You mean his muscles and stuff right?"

The mare nodded and took another bite of her bread. "His physique is unique and strange, his deft touch I wish to arrange..." She blushed, as if realizing she was speaking out loud, and looked to Apple Bloom. "So how was your Nightmare Night, I hope Guardian did not give you a fright?"

"Ah had a great time, but then the town freaked out." She shuffled and sighed. "Still, Guardian was enjoying himself... I hope."

The night became quite as the pair sat there in the light of the glowing tree, both of them content with eating the bread slowly. Apple Bloom finished her piece and looked to the mare.

"Do you think Guardian thinks of us as friends?" The filly asked, wonder and worry in her voice.

"I certainly don't see you as enemies." The deep voice of the Arachnapony answered from behind the pair.

Both mares turned to see Guardian descending from the trees by a web strand and silently landing on the forest floor. He looked to them both, and a moment later, felt the full weight of the filly as she tackled him with a hug. He kept his stance, and chuckled.

"I see you missed me." His four smaller claw tipped limbs hugged the filly, and he patted her back with a hoof. "One week away and you act like I have been gone for longer."

The filly smiled up at him and nuzzled his chest. "I was worried you might not like the ponies in town anymore... or be mad at me for what happened."

Guardian looked to the zebra nearby, looking for more information, but found nothing as Zecora gave him a small smile, then motioned for him to talk to the filly. He looked back down and adjusted her bow back to perfect.

"I am not mad at you, and cannot be mad at you." He gave her a kind look. "I am upset at the pink one, and the blue pegasus, but none others. They reacted as expected."

The filly looked up at him. "You... expected it to end badly?"

Guardian shook his head. "No, but when ponies see something they do not understand, they react like they did. Confusion, anger, fear, and panic. Nothing has changed since I was young." He sighed then looked to the tree. "You came here because you knew I would come to it." He gave a short chuckle. "Clever."

Apple Bloom smiled and ended the hug. "Thanks. Ah figured you would want to see what was going on near the tree, and besides, Ah like talking to you."

Guardian nodded then looked to Zecora. "And you?"

Zecora smiled and held up her bag. "A favor I wish to ask, a repeated task. My herbs are running low, but you know best where they grow." She pulled out another piece of the bread and offered it to him. "I can repay you in ways so sweet, more of my soups and other treats."

The larger creature took the beard from her and looked it over, and gave a small sniff. It was fresh, and the herbs gave it a aroma that reminded him of the forest itself. He took a bite and nodded.

"I can do that. Your cooking, in exchange for some herbs."

The mare smiled and gave him a small bow. "You are very kind and generous, you aid is more than selfless."

Guardian watched the zebra closely, and noticed her smile to be very friendly. She is fond of my aid. I must be saving her hours of work. The large creature looked down to the filly as he heard a small yawn. This could work out well for us both.

"You are tired." He watched her shake her head and try to stifle another yawn. "You need rest, little one."

"Ah'm fine... Ah promise." She rubbed her eyes and smiled up at him, trying her best to be convincing, but failing under the gaze of his eight eyes.

"I can't let you ruin your sleep cycles just to talk to me." He picked her up and placed her on his back. "You are going home, to sleep."

The filly shifted a little. "But Ah wanted to talk to you... please?"

The arachnapony looked her in the eyes. "In the morning. You can visit me after you have a good night of sleep."

He chuckled softly at the pouting look on her face. He turned to Zecora. "If you wish, we can discuss the finer details of our deal at your hut."

Zecora nodded and smiled. "I shall begin a delectable soup, and have it warm when we regroup."

The arachnapony nodded then began walking towards the farm. His pace was slow, and he scanned the path he took, taking mental note of where herbs that Zecora might need were. He looked to the filly as he heard another yawn.

"I'm sorry I didn't visit in the last week. I wanted things to settle down before I left the forest again."

Apple Bloom smiled and hugged his neck. "Ah know... but you will visit me more right?"

He nodded. "Of course."

The filly hugged her friend once more and then settled on his back. "Ah really am sorry about what happened."

Guardian stopped walking and looked to the pony. "Apple Bloom, you did nothing wrong. I had a nice time, and if the pink mare hadn't seen me, it would have been a rather enjoyable night."

"Really?" The filly asked as she yawned. "You had fun?"

The creature nodded, and gave a small smile to Apple Bloom. "More than I have had in a while. The festival was...interesting. I hope the next one I go to with you and your friends will end less..." He paused, looking for a word. "Dramatically."

Apple Bloom nodded and placed her head on the back of his neck. "Ah hope so too... Ah like spending time with my friends."

The arachnapony nodded and continued his walk with the filly. The journey passed quietly, allowing the filly on his back to gently drift off to sleep as the stallion carrying her thought.

She came out here for me. She wanted to make sure I wasn't harmed... touching. He felt her gentle breathing on his neck and turned his head slightly, so that some of his smaller eyes could look at her. So tired, and yet willing to risk losing sleep for a friend. She has a good heart.

He reached the edge of the forest, and looked out to the farm. This family... full of honesty, heart, and compassion... something I have not received in so many years. He walked briskly after a chilly wind swept across the open ground. Best get her home before she wakes up from the cold air.

He reached the home of the farmponies, and shifted the filly gently from his back to his clawed limbs. He quickly scaled the wall to her room, opening the window and crawling in, his hold on the filly was delicate, as not to wake her from her gentle slumber.

He placed the slumbering filly into her bed and pulled the blanket over her, tucking her in. "Have a pleasant night, little one."

The filly smiled and snuggled into the bed, and Guardian felt himself smile with her, a fond warmth spread over him at the sight. Adorable. He silently left the filly in her room and moved out the window, closing it quickly to prevent the chilly air from disturbing her. His return trip to the forest went by very quickly, as his mind focused on the filly.

He was touched that she was so concerned with his well-being. He felt a warmth in his chest, a fondness for the filly, but another feeling that he couldn't quite place. He stopped his walk and looked down, near the base of the tree near the edge of the forest. One of the herbs Zecora needed was growing there.

Best gather some now, and offer it to her. His deft claws began picking the plant, making sure none of it went to waste. That zebra... she is an odd one. The rhyming is sort of... intriguing though. I must know why she speaks like that. He finished picking the herb, and began walking back towards her hut, stopping along the way to pick more.

He had no idea how long he took, but once he spotted the hut, he was carrying a bushels worth of four different herbs. He smelled a fire, and more importantly, the fresh scent of bread, and soup. Rosemary... and is that tomato? He licked his mandibles at the hearty smell of the meal inside wafted to him. He gently knocked on the door.

"Do come in and enjoy my feast, rest your hooves you mighty beast." He heard the voice call out.

Had to make that rhyme. Guardian had a short chuckle, then opened the door and walked in, the flickering light of the fireplace greeting him with a golden glow. He spotted the mare, her mane let down, and her hooves stirring the small pot on the fire.

"Guardian, please do come in, the soup is ready so we can begin." She smiled to him, and then spotted the bundles of herbs. "I see you made a rush, for those herbs look healthy and lush."

The arachnapony nodded and placed the herbs on a small table. "I thought you would enjoy a nice little bonus before we begin our deal." He watched the exotic mare walk around the pot in the center of her hut, stirring it, and found himself hypnotized by her stripes. They blurred across the room as she walked. For a moment he simple stared at her form then he moved his gaze to her face.

If she noticed his staring, she gave no sign. "I hope you are hungry and ready to eat, making your food fast was no easy feat."

Guardian chuckled. "I do not doubt it. You're skilled at your craft. The soup is enchanting in its aroma."

The mare gave a small head bow then smiled. She resumed stirring the pot, humming a song in a low voice. The notes were sweet, and the mare bobbed her head and hips along with the song. Guardian watched her as she cooked, his many eyes studying the form of the mare, and he found himself repeatedly moving his gaze to her hips as they bounced.

Minutes passed as the mare cooked, and Guardian tore his gaze away from her and inspected the hut. It had been a while since his first visit and he saw that aside from a few empty shelves, not too much had changed. His inspection focused on a table, where there was a new mask. He walked over to it, and saw that it was in the process of being finished. The shape of the mask was familiar to him.

The mask was carved to hold a tribal image of a spider, and like Guardians own head, it had eight eyes, and large fangs. While it was intimidating, he felt that the mask itself was not meant to cause fear, as it gave him a sense of being watched over. He tilted his head as he looked at its unpainted surface.

He moved to pick it up, but he heard the mare behind him stop humming, and a moment, her deep voice reached his ears.

"I see you have discovered my mask, it is another of my favorite task." She smiled as Guardian turned to her, and she held out a bowl of the steaming soup. "I have yet to paint it dark and brooding, but the proper colors seem eluding."

Guardian looked to it then too the other masks. "The colors you have for the others seem to work." He turned back to the mare and gently took the bowl, his claws brushing against her hoof, and for a moment they both held the bowl, and looked at each other. The stallion arachnapony tilted his head as he felt the deep blue eyes look into his coal black, and he wondered for a moment why she had yet to let go of the bowl.

The moment passed, and the zebra left the bowl in his claws. "So do tell me if it is to your liking, the soup I made should be most striking." She smiled and Guardian noticed a light blush across her features as she walked back to the pot of soup, but there was also a light bounce in her step.

The larger creature nodded and took a whiff of the soup, and his head was filled with a warm, heady smell of the tomatoes. "It smells wonderful. If it is half as good as its scent then I am in for a very well made meal."

He heard the mare chuckle as she filled her own bowl, and he took a careful sip. He found the soup to be delightful, and it warmed him from his core to his limbs quickly. He smiled and took another sip.

"I... haven't had a home cooked meal like this in years... hundreds of years..." He looked into his bowl and took another mouthful of soup, and savored the warmth of the meal.

Zecora sat on the floor next to him and sipped her own and offered him a loaf of bread. "You do not look so old, if I may be so bold. If you are willing to part the veil, I would like to hear your tale."

Guardian looked to her. "I think it would be best if we avoid that for now... I want to just enjoy this meal..." He sat next to her and took the loaf, and dipped it into his bowl, soaking it in the soup. "But... I am very old. A little over a thousand years, if my memories serve me well."

The mare remained silent, blowing her soup to cool it. Guardian looked to her, and then back to his own bowl.

"My life has been long, and so much of it has been a lonely journey." He sighed heavily, and Zecora saw for a moment the weight of his years bear down on him. He sipped his soup, and then looked the mare in the eyes. "Tell me, if you lived as long as I have, what would you make sure you have to keep you from going mad?"

The zebra took a careful sip from her bowl as she thought. A moment passed and she swallowed. "I would hate to be alone, the seclusion would turn me to a crone. I would make sure I have some friendship, a person with which I could feel some kinship."

Guardian nodded after a moment. "A friend... I suppose I should have made some."

Zecora nodded then spoke, her voice softer as a blush passed across her face. "I meant something a little more intimate, a companion with which to be less innocent."

The room felt far warmer as the pair stared into each other’s eyes, and Guardian watched as the mare slowly shuffled closer. He watched, an unfamiliar sensation rushing through his chest as the zebra mare's side brushed against his own. He felt his chest tighten, and warm, and the feeling of her stripped, soft fur sent waves of electricity through his body.

"The night is cold and dreary, it makes my body be worn and weary. A feeling of exhaustion is quite dire... perhaps you would like to retire?" She motioned to the bed nestled across the room. "Stay the night and remain in the hut, a breakfast made of forest nuts."

The stallion looked to the bed, and he simply looked at it. "I... the bed looks rather small..."

Zecora nodded and finished her soup. "To my people communal rest and private bed are one and the same, to cuddle and share a close space is never a shame."

Guardian looked to the bed, then back to the soft gaze of the zebra, and finally looked to his bowl. He did enjoy the meal, and a part of him wanted nothing more than to enjoy another one. I... would like a night in a warm place for once. It has been so long since I had a nice night like this. He nodded to the mare.

"Very well. I shall stay the night. It is getting chilly out there."

The mare smiled and placed her bowl near the pot, and spent a moment adding a few more logs to the fire. The larger creature watched her silently and found his gaze locked to her as she slowly walked over to the bed. She climbed into it and laid down.

"Please come rest and sleep, my company will warm you and keep." She smiled to him.

Guardian nodded and strode towards the bed, and took only a moment to lay next to the mare, making her shift over as his massive frame filled most of the bed. He pulled the blanket over her and placed his head on the mattress. The zebra chuckled and then cuddled up to him, and placed the blanket over them both. In silence, the pair moved closer, embracing each other and their warmth. The soft fur of the mare sent more waves of electric energy through his body, and he realized what the sensation was.

By the goddess... I am feeling physical attraction to this mare... He looked at the mare, her eyes looking at his smaller limbs near her, studying them. He felt a fondness for her, and warmth on his face as he thought about the way she smiled and the way her eyes seemed to shine in the dim light. I am feeling... fondness for this exotic mare. Interesting. He tilted his head and gently took her head in her claws and moved her gaze to his own eyes.

"You invited me into your home, and then into your bed. You bartered my companionship with a meal worth any price, and now, we are in your bed, which might be normal for your people, but is considered something intimate for ponies, and myself." He watched the mare blush. "What purpose is this for?"

The mares white and grey cheeks turned red, but her eyes remained locked to his. "Something about you has my interest piqued, of mystery and strength you are steeped." She shuffled, turning over in the bed, so that there was more room. "Beneath the beast there was a sundered soul, one which I believe I can make whole."

She looked over her back and smiled. "Now then let's rest and get our sleep, a good night with slumber deep."

Guardian nodded and moved some of his body closer, intent on sharing his warmth. "Very well then. You are a kind mare."

With no other words, the pair drifted off and Guardian slipped into the most comfortable night of rest he had felt in many years.