• Published 27th Oct 2012
  • 12,530 Views, 828 Comments

The Legend of the Arachnapony - RaijingtheClockworkPony



Sometimes the craziest legends are the true ones. When Apple Bloom stumbles upon an anceint source of magic she discovers a very ancient creature.

  • ...
28
 828
 12,530

First Outting

Trains had always fascinated the silver maned stallion sitting next to the window. He loved the idea of a machine that could do work without any need for a unicorn to act as a battery. The landscape moved by as the stallion sat back and looked around the train car. The compartment was nearly empty save for the green mare asleep in her chair, and a grey stallion a few rows down reading a newspaper.

The silver stallion looked out the window and watched the rolling farmland roll by and sighed.So, I'll be spending a few weeks in a small town, searching for a creature that hasn't been seen in centuries... all while having to memorize this tome. Silver Lining lifted the small tome up and opened its pages. “The Monstrum Codex: A guide to monsters and how to kill them”... and I have to find one of the creatures in this book. Fun.

As Silver looked over a page about how to decapitate a hydra, and burn the stump, the conductor came into the car.

"We will be arriving in Ponyville in six minutes. Please gather all of you belongings if you are getting off, Ponyville in six minutes!"

The silver maned pony took a moment to take a deep breath then closed the tome. He gathered the bags that had been packed by the servants and watched as the small town rolled into view. It looked quaint and rather peaceful to the stallion, and that helped calm him for a moment. He felt himself lean forward as the train slowed down to pull into the station.

He watched the train pull in and waited for the doors to open. As the doors opened he caught a fresh waft of warm autumn air that smelled lightly of fresh baking, and of pumpkins. The sweet air filled his lungs and made Silver smile a little. He spotted a stallion with a slicked back greying mane and walked towards the pony and reached out to take his hoof.

"Ah, Mister Lining, it’s pleasure to meet you. I trust the train ride went well?"

Silver took the extended hoof in front of him and discovered the stallion had a firm hoof shake. "It was pleasant. I hope me joining you for some time isn't an issue for you and your daughter."

The aged pony shook his head and motioned for the younger pony to follow. "Nonsense, I enjoy having company, and I'm certain this will be entertaining for you as well."

Silver nodded then swallowed. "So... um, how exactly did you learn of the story and information you sent my fath—er... Lord Silver?"

The elder stallion shook his head. "We can talk about that later my lad. I want to show you around the town a little; after all you will be staying here a few weeks. Also feel free to call me Rich. No need to be formal or anything."

Silver nodded. The pair made it to a small manor located near the outskirts of the time and dropped off the bags that Silver had brought with him. Rich kept talking about the history of the town and how it had been founded by the Apple family and his own long before either of them had been born.

The older stallion pointed to a structure standing in the center of the town. "That's the mayor’s office. She's a nice mare and is prone to a little bit of delegation from time to time." The stallion chuckled at his own joke that went over the younger ponies joke. "Over there is the local market. It's an open air market and has some pretty good produce. Might, want to check that out if you have a fancy for something to eat or to cook."

Silver nodded. "Alright... shouldn't we get down to business? I think this is only going to make my stay longer."

The older ponies’ relaxed posture tensed up for a moment as he sighed. "We will get to that. Let's enjoy the rest of this wonderful weather before we get to that sort of thing. I need to pick up an order from the local bakery, so let's head over there."

"Oh... okay then."

They walked through the busy streets and came upon a small bakery that amazed Silver. The building looked as if it had been made from gingerbread. Silver pointed this out to the older stallion the moment he spotted it.

"Oh yes, that's the Sugar Cube Corner, that's where we are heading." A slight pause from Rich caused the younger pony to stop as well. "The young baker under the employ of the owners is rather... eccentric, to say the least. She's the pink blur you will see when you walk in."

"Pink-blur sir... Rich?"

The older stallion walked past Silver with a knowing smile. "You'll see what I mean."

The pair reached the bakery and walked inside. The jingling of the bell was quickly joined by a loud gasp and one Pinkie Pie barreling up to Silver.

"Riiich, you didn't tell me that you were bringing a new pony into town for Nightmare Night! Hiya mister, I'm Pinkie Pie, and welcome to Ponyville. This is the Sugar Cube Corner, and we make the bestest baked stuff ever! What's your name stranger?"

Silver looked at the bouncing pink mare for a moment then to Rich, only to notice that the elder stallion had left him to his fate with the energetic mare. After barely a moment of inaction from the stallion, Pinkie began to poke Silver lightly, but rapidly.

"Um... Silver Lining. Who are you, and please stop poking me."

The cotton candy maned pony stopped instantly and beamed at the stallion. "I'm glad to meet you. Are you visiting the town for family, friends, family friends, marefriend, friends’ marefriend, friends’ family, or something in between or something else entirely?"

Silver could barely keep up with the mile-a-minute talking coming from the pink mare in front of him. He noticed, with a great measure of discomfort, that she was well inside his personal bubble. His mind caught back up with the mare once she started poking him again.

"Uh... I'm here to visit Rich, and his daughter for a little bit, while working on a... um, project."

The pink pony stopped poking him an began bouncing in place again. "Oooo a project! Are you still in school? Because you kinda smell like school. Also is Rich your uncle?"

Silver shook his head. This mare is a little more than eccentric Rich. Thanks for the last minute warning. He cleared his throat and tried his best to smile.

"No, he's a friend of the family, he works with my father."

"Ooh. That's neato. So, do you like cookies?"

"Um, yes?"

"Great! I need a taste tester."

Silver's mind took a moment to realize that he had just been drafted into something as Pinkie dragged him across the room to a table near the counter. The young stallion spotted Rich chatting with a tall, skinny yellow stallion, and holding a pair of boxes on his back. Rich gave the younger stallion a small wave before continuing his talk with the owner.

Over an hour later Rich and Silver walked out of the bakery. Silver had three boxes resting on his back, all of which had been given to him by Pinkie.

"I think that went very well, don't you?"

Silver looked over at the older stallion and gave him a small scowl. "She force fed me over twenty types of cookies. I must have eaten at least a baker’s dozen of those snicker-doodles before she was happy. Is she always like that?"

Rich nodded and chuckled as he carried his order. "Not all the time. She's very insistent of meeting everypony that comes into the town. You're lucky she didn't roll out the Welcome Wagon, and no, I'm not talking figuratively."

The younger stallion had a mental image of Pinkie with a large wagon bouncing through the town. The image was both amusing and terrifying to Silver in equal measure. He sighed and followed Rich back to his small manor. They were greeted on the small path to the front door by a pink filly wearing a tiara.

"Daddy! Where have you been? I was waiting for a whole three minutes out here for you!"

The stallion gave the filly a smile and a fond hug. "Well, I had to get some Nightmare Night goodies for you and all the little ponies coming to our house in a few days, as well as pick up our house guest. Diamond, meet Silver Lining. He's going to be staying with us for a few weeks."

The filly gave Silver a small scowl then gave her father a pouting face. "But I don't want any guests, my friends might not like him!"

Silver flicked his ears as the whining tone of the fillies voice and had to chew his cheek for a moment to keep himself quiet.

Rich chuckled for a moment. "Now sweetheart, that's no way to treat a guest. Now, let's get inside and talk for a little bit. Our guest would like to hear about that story Apple Bloom told you."

The filly huffed and groaned. "Fine."

Silver pressed his hooves together and rested his head on them, an old habit he developed whenever he thought about things. The story that Diamond Tiara had told him really gave him pause. The filly Apple Bloom's description of the creature, and how it moved, all seemed to fit with only a few creatures he knew about. However, one portion of the story stuck out to him the most. This creature had saved the filly from Timberwolves, but didn't harm or attack the filly.

He flipped through the pages until he rested on the section that was devoted to a creature that had more pages devoted to it than any other monster in the entire book.

"Arachnapony. Exterminate with extreme prejudice... oh great, just my luck."

The stallion sighed and tapped his hooves together for a moment. I can't be certain until I've had a chance to look around. Can't jump to conclusions. Okay, I'll have to talk to the filly that told this story to see if original can give me more insight on what I'm dealing with here. Should also talk to some of the ponies familiar with the forest. If anything has changed suddenly, if any of these creatures are here then they will need to eat a pretty good amount of the wildlife.

Silver looked down at the open page and looked at the image. It was of a massive shadowy figure attacking a defenseless pony with sharp fangs dripping with blood. The look of terror on the victims face sent shivers down his spine.

I hope it's not one of these. If it is then I'm going to be in some very deep trouble.

With a suppressed shiver Silver closed the tome.