• Published 27th Oct 2012
  • 12,539 Views, 828 Comments

The Legend of the Arachnapony - RaijingtheClockworkPony



Sometimes the craziest legends are the true ones. When Apple Bloom stumbles upon an anceint source of magic she discovers a very ancient creature.

  • ...
28
 828
 12,539

Photos Worth More Than a Thousand.

Sweetie Belle walked along one of the market streets towards Sugarcube Corner to meet up with Featherweight. They had agreed to meet there with Scootaloo then head out to Sweet Apple Acres. She made her way up the crowded street occasionally waving to a familiar face and stopping to say hello. Her mind was focused on the colt she had made a deal with. She wasn't exactly truthful with the young colt. She liked him, sure, but she wasn't exactly in love with him. Maybe I shouldn't have agreed to be his special somepony. What if I don't like him and we end up having to stay together forever? The thought sent a slight chill down her spine.

She spotted the gingerbread like building up ahead. She was almost to the main street when she spotted Featherweight and an earth pony stallion walking with him. Featherweight looked anxious to be near the stallion. She walked closer while she studied the deep sea green stallion with a brown mane that was buzzed short. At first she had no idea who this stallion could be, but when she spotted the roll of film that made his cutie mark she realized that this was Featherweights father.

She waved to the pair as she drew within ear shot. "Hi Featherweight! Is this your father?"

The stallion nodded. "Nice to meet you. You would be Sweetie Belle right? My boy here talks about you often." He leaned in with a playful smile. "You might want to be careful. I think he has a crush on you."

Sweetie glanced over at Featherweight who was blushing deeply. "Daaad, stop that."

The stallion walked over to his son and ruffled his hair playfully. Featherweight tried his best to stop his father from messing with his mane but instead ended up laughing as he and his father wrestled for a moment. Sweetie giggled as they wrestled. After a moment the older stallion stood back up and glanced at Sweetie.

He gave her another friendly grin. "Feather told me that you two were going to meet up with some friends today. I'll get out of your mane in a moment but before I do would you like something from the bakery? My treat."

Sweetie lost no time in making her request. "OH! Can I get a dozen of the super chocolate cookies?"

Sweetie almost started salivating as she thought of those baked miracles of chocolate. Her large smile made the stallion chuckle. "No problem." He turned to his son. "What about you?"

Featherweight took a moment to think then looked up at his father with a sheepish smile. "Can I have three vanilla cupcakes?"

The stallion gently patted the colt on his shoulder. "Of course champ. I'll be back in a few minutes."

He headed into the store but not before he stopped and winked at the young pair. "You love birds stay right here and stay out of trouble."

Sweetie felt her cheeks go red as some of the surrounding ponies looked over and giggled at them. Featherweight tried his best not to blush but failed as his cheeks turned a bright crimson. He pointed to a nearby table and they walked over to it as they both tried to ignore the gazes of all of the curious ponies. Sweetie kept her gaze down until she heard Featherweight mumbling to himself. She looked up from the table and saw that he was digging into a saddle bag she had failed to notice. I guess I was too busy focusing on his dad...

He pulled a folder out of the bag and slid it across the table to her. "Here are the photos. Like I promised I didn't show them to anypony, not even my dad."

She opened the folder and felt a sudden wave of excitement as she thought about how this must look just like those spy films she had seen. She barely suppressed the smile and looked at the photos.

The first was slightly blurred and looked like it was taken while he was lying on his side. She held it up so he could see it. "Was this the one you took that blinded him?"

He nodded and quickly grabbed her hoof and lowered it so the photo was face down. "Careful, we don't want any other pony from seeing them."

They stayed there for a second with their hooves together. Sweetie pulled her hoof away, feeling her cheeks growing warm once more, and saw that the colt across from her was also blushing deeply. She looked back down at the photos and tried her best to look busy. I should talk to him.

Featherweight seemed to be thinking along the same line. "I, uh, was thinking about the modeling..."

Sweetie looked up. She rubbed the back of her neck. "Yeah, I wanted to talk to you about that..."

Featherweight smiled back at her. "Great! I was thinking about—"

She reached across the table and silenced the colt. "I don't want to be your special somepony."

She winced as she finished the sentence. What made her feel worse was the shocked look on Featherweights face.

"What... but you said—"

Sweetie nodded. "I know but I've been thinking. I do like you but I don't know if I feel the same way as you do. I mean I don’t know if how I feel is like just friendship or you know the whole special somepony thing."

She bit her lip and felt her heart sink as she watched his face fall, his expression hurt. She reached across the table to touch his hoof gently. He looked into her eyes as she gave him the kindest smile she had ever given in her life.

"I do want to be your friend though, and I'm really looking forward to modeling for you."

He gave a weak smile. "Really? You want to model for me even though you don't wanna be my special somepony?"

She nodded. "I still want to be friends with you and I made a promise. Who knows, this might be how I earn my cutie mark." She blushed for a moment. "And you did kinda save me from Guardian when he thought I blinded him."

The smile on the colts face grew more confident. "Hehe... I guess I kinda did."

Sweetie patted his hoof. "I guess that makes you my hero."

The colts face grew redder. He glanced off to the side and his red face started to grow pale. "Crap here comes my dad!"

They scrambled to put all of the photos back into the folder. Featherweight grabbed the folder and tried to stuff it back into his saddlebag but couldn't get it in when his father walked up to the table.

His father placed a small bag in front of Sweetie while he watched his son. "What you two looking at?"

Sweetie looked at Featherweight with a panicked glance. She wanted to tell him not to show him the photos but knew that if she did his father would want to see them. Featherweight pushed the folder in all the way.

He looked up at his father and tried his best to look like nothing had happened. "Uh, nothing. Just talking about stuff."

His father gave him a half amused smile. "Then may I look at that nothing you put into your bag?"

The colt shifted in his chair and glanced off to the side. "It's kinda private..."

His father placed the cupcakes his son had wanted down on the table. His voice took a stern tone. "Son, I'm asking nicely. Please show me."

Featherweight looked ready to say no but his father gave him a stern look. His father held out his hoof and gestured for him to give it to him. "Now."

Defeated and with no way to avoid showing him the pictures he pulled out the folder and gave it to his father. He cast his eyes to the ground as his father opened the folder. Sweetie started to feel sweat form on her forehead as she tried to think of something to stop the stallion, but her mind went blank and refused to work. The one time I need it to work fast it stops! She watched as he looked into the open folder and down at the photos.

The stallions eyes widened and his eyebrows rose. He looked from his son to Sweetie and back. He looked back down at the photos once more then closed the folder after clearing his throat. He gave the folder back to his son. He looked his son in the eyes and spoke in the lighthearted tone he had used before when he had teased his son.

"I expect to see her over for dinner sometime." He looked at the now confused Sweetie. "Well I have to get going now. I'm betting his mother wants me home to clean the attic or something. It was nice to meet you Sweetie Belle."

She watched as the stallion walked away from the young pair of ponies. "Bye mister... Featherweights dad."

He gave a soft chuckle. "Just call me Evergreen. Stay safe you two and don't get into any trouble." He gave them a playful wink then set off down the street. Sweetie looked at Featherweight, who was wiping his forehead and sighing.

She glanced back to Evergreen. "He seems rather happy for a pony that just saw a monster."

Featherweight let out a small chuckle. "That's because he didn't."

Sweetie turned to see Featherweight grinning mischievously as he took a quick look inside the folder. "What do you mean he didn’t? He looked in the folder!"

He shook his head. "No. He didn't. He looked at this folder."

He reached into his bag and pulled out another folder. He passed the folder he just produced to Sweetie so she could look inside of it. She opened it and saw all of the photos of Guardian. The confusion on her face mixed with the relief she felt. However her curiosity wasn't satisfied.

She looked back up at the smiling colt. "Then what photos did he look at?"

His smile was quickly becoming embarrassed. He mumbled for a moment. Sweetie reached for the folder but missed it as Featherweight brought it to his chest.

He looked off to the side. "It's nothing. You would think I'm weird or something."

Sweetie huffed. "Oh come on! Let me see please? I promise I won't laugh or think you're weird."

Featherweight looked at her and saw that she was giving him a genuine smile. He sighed and looked down at the folder. He sighed and held it out so she could grab it. She took it from him gently and opened it. Inside were pictures of her. From the looks of it they were an assortment of photos he had taken over the past year they had known each other. A few of them were from when she had worked at the Foal Free Press but the one that caught her eye was one in the middle. She placed the folder down and looked at it.

She felt her cheeks grow warm. "This is from the forest... I look so pretty in this."

The colt looked her in the eyes. "You're always pretty."

A pair of voices reached them from a nearby table. "Dwaaa!"

The young pair looked over to see a mint green unicorn and a beige earth pony sitting at a table, both of them looking at them with amused smiles. They were resting their heads on their hooves.

The earth pony looked at the unicorn sitting next to her. "Aren't they just the cutest?"

The unicorn nodded and let out a dreamy sigh. "Young love."

Sweetie and Featherweight both hid their faces as both of their them turned bright red. Sweetie was certain that she had never been more embarrassed in her life. She cast a quick glance to Featherweight and saw that he was a bright shade of red.

A voice from behind Sweetie made her jump. "What are you two blushing about?"

The embarrassed pair looked at Scootaloo then at each other. They spoke together without meaning to. "Nothing!"

This response only made the pair next to them laugh. Sweetie and Featherweight quickly gathered up their stuff and started to head in the direction of Sweet Apple Acres with a confused Scootaloo in tow.

Sweetie grabbed Scootaloo by the leg. “Come on let’s get going!”

The unicorn from the table next to them watched them walk up the road. She turned to the earth mare next to her. With a sigh she looked at her marefriend. "Bon Bon, I want one."

Bon Bon let out a small groan. "We've talked about this. Our house isn't big enough for— is that Zecora?"

The pair watched a rather frazzled looking zebra move through the street at a brisk canter. She kept looking around the village, mostly to the roof tops and the alleyways. She had only one destination in mind: the Golden Oaks Library. She moved up the street narrowly dodging a pair of ponies carrying shopping bags and spotted the library.

She made it to the door and started knocking on the door rapidly. Her voice cracking with barely contained panic. "Twilight I must speak with you please, there is something unholy within the trees!"

She kept banging on the door until she heard the latch of the door click. She pushed her way into the library, knocking the small purple dragon over as she made her way to the purple unicorn walking down the stairs.

She ran up the stairs and grabbed Twilight Sparkle by the shoulders. "You must help me and write your teacher, I have been attacked by an unholy creature."

Twilight tried her best to pry the tight grip of the zebra off of her shoulder. "Zecora, stop shaking me!" She grabbed the frantic zebra's hooves and held them so she would stop shaking her. Zecora placed her hooves back on the ground and started to pace in a small circle.

Her voice was hoarse. "You must write her now and with haste, for we are in grave danger from the beast I have faced."

She looked to the door then back to the purple pair. Twilight walked next to her and gently placed her hoof on her shoulder. Now that Twilight could get a better look at the zebra she could see that her eyes were bloodshot and had heavy bags under them.

In a soft voice Zecora spoke once more, cutting off Twilight's question. "Strands like silk that wouldn't break, strength that can make the world quake. Within its eyes burns nothing but hate, by its claws has ended many fates. Like a plague it spreads death, fear it and draw your last breath."

Zecora stopped her pacing and started softly chanting in a strange language that Twilight had never heard. "Die wilde diere van die baie oë dood alles in sy pad, vlug voor hom en bid jy ontsnap sy toorn."

Zecora sat on the floor and started crying. Twilight stood there watching the bizarre sight as a strange feeling of fear filled her mind while the foreign words rang in her ears. Something about the tone in which Zeocra had said them. It was almost like a nursery rhyme but had a much darker tone. She walked over to Zecora and sat down next to her and gently hugged her.

Zecora latched onto her and sobbed to her shoulder. "Tell me everything that happened."

Between sobs Zecora told her everything that happened in her rhyming way. Twilight felt her blood run cold when she described the creature that attacked her. Zecora regained control of herself and was given tissues by Spike, she thanked him with a weak smile.

She wiped her eyes as she tried her best to keep her voice calm. "I haven't slept since the attack, in fear that it would come back. So once more I beg you tell Celestia of my plight, so that I can return to my home without fright."

Twilight nodded and glanced over to see Spike already running to a nearby desk. "I'll do everything I can. You can sleep here until the forest is safe again." Zecora opened her mouth to protest but Twilight shook her head. "I can't let you go back into that forest knowing that you would be scared or possibly harmed. I have a guest bed in my room. Go lie down and get some sleep, by the time you wake up Celestia should have responded."

Twilight gave Zecora a reassuring smile and a hug. Zecora returned it with tears forming in her eyes. "Thank you."

She slowly rose from the ground and made her way up the stairs. The purple unicorn followed her just in case she needed anything. Zecora laid down on the bed and fell asleep almost instantly. Twilight pulled the blanket over her and quietly left the room. She was halfway down the stairs when she spotted Spike at the bottom with a worried look on his face.

Spike held the quill up but hesitated. "What do you think attacked her?"

Twilight looked back up the stairs to the shut door. "I don't know. I've never even read about something that would look close to what she described. Hopefully Celestia will have the answer."

Spike nodded but the worry on his face didn't diminished. "And if she doesn't?"

Twilight looked back at him. "We'll deal with that if we have to. Now let's fill out this letter. Dear Princess Celestia..."