• Published 27th Oct 2012
  • 12,535 Views, 828 Comments

The Legend of the Arachnapony - RaijingtheClockworkPony



Sometimes the craziest legends are the true ones. When Apple Bloom stumbles upon an anceint source of magic she discovers a very ancient creature.

  • ...
28
 828
 12,535

Fateful Night (Part 1)

Red Trail didn't know which emotion he wanted to embrace more. Hatred of his job, sickness from being awoken from a rather comfortable sleep with Shade by his side, or annoyance that the stallion sitting in the chair in front of the fireplace was drinking a scotch and wasn't even looking at him as he asked the questions.

Red had been forced up from his sleep by Filthy Rich, and was told he had to get down to the study to talk to his boss, and he was rushed there so quickly that he failed to even get breakfast as he passed the kitchen.

"And this thing was how large?" The silver noble asked, removing Trail from his tired brooding.

Trail stifled a yawn and gave his head a shake. "Twice my size at least... powerful enough to pick me up and toss me around like a rag doll too."

"Did it not occur to you to try to kill this creature?" Lord Silver inquired, his tone cold with a hint of annoyed disappointment.

"I wasn't armed at the time, and I doubt I would have survived." The red stallion responded, his ears twitching in annoyance. "I am not a hunter, I'm a tracker. It's what you pay me for."

The silver unicon took a swig of his drink and sighed. "Then why do I bother to pay you?" He glanced over to the pegasus and sneered. "If you can't hunt then why bother showing up for one?"

"Because I can find the beast you want to kill, and none of the morons you brought with you could even hope to find a barn from the inside." Red Trail replied with a smirk of his own.

Lord Silver's sneer stayed for a moment then he nodded with hint of contempt and acceptance. "If the letter from Lord Fat Feast is true, then you are indeed worth keeping, but for your sake, I hope you do not ruin this hunt for me." He sipped his drink then gave a small wave with his hoof. "Leave me. I have far more important things to deal with now."

Red Trail let out a annoyed snort and walked out the room, into the hall where Shade was waiting with a pancake in her mouth, and she was staring at a painting on the wall, which depicted a scene with a masked pony singing to a mare. She turned around and her face brightened to a smile once she spotted Trail.

"Mmph Mpph." She giggled and chewed on her breakfast.

"In Equestrian this time." He gave an amused smile to the mare as he began walking through the hall to the kitchen.

She swallowed her mouthful of food then giggled. "I said good morning, what did the big boss say?"

"Nothing of value." He sighed and looked at the mare. He saw slight concern in her eyes as they moved into the kitchen. "Everything is fine, he just wanted a report on what happened."

The mare offered half of her pancake to him and nodded. "Sounds like it sucked."

He hesitated for a moment then took half of the pancake and nodded. "I wouldn't recommend doing it again."

He took a bite, finding the sweet cake a very welcome taste, and as they moved into the kitchen he spotted Sea Mint eating a biscuit and chatting with a maid. He nodded to her and she gave a small smile back. Shade walked up to the small island counter and grabbed a biscuit for herself.

"So, what are you two up to?" The green pony asked.

Shade spoke with her mouth partially full. "Red got yelled at by the boss, and I waited for him."

Mint looked to Trail, her face full of concern. "You didn't get fired did you?"

He shook his head and rolled his eyes. "I wish. That would save me from his gaggle of morons he brought with him, and the hunters from the other lords."

Shade looked at him with a sharp glance. "I better not be in that gaggle."

He and the younger mare laughed together. Red finished the pancake and shook his head. "You and I belong to our own gaggle."

"I'd rather be a murder, like crows. I have a soft spot for feathers after all. Remember that talk on the train?" The black unicorn giggled and quickly cuddled up to Trail. He rolled his eyes and moved her away from him with his wing.

Mint nodded. "That actually sounds pretty cool. A little bit of danger to it too."

Trail chuckled around his mouthful of food. "Crows are pretty smart birds too."

The trio ate their meal, which was dominated by bird related small talk for a while, until the younger Silver walked in and cleared his throat gently to get their attention. Mint turned and smiled warmly to him.

"Hey Silver." She walked over to him and kissed his cheek.

Shade let out a wolf whistle and Trail cooed at the couple. The young mare chuckled and smiled at her stallion, whereas the stallion next to her blushed lightly and gave an embarrassed smile.

"Come on... no need for that." He stuttered out while Mint kissed his cheek again. He smiled a little wider as the ponies went back to work, and he looked to Trail and Shade. "I want to talk to you both."

The pair nodded and Trail spoke with a calm tone. "Sure thing. What do you want?"

"I... want to know if I can trust you two..."

Shade nodded. "Of course."

"I would say so." Trail said. "Why do you ask?"

Silver looked to the door then back to them. "I think that this hunt is going to go badly..."

"Why?" Shade asked as she popped another biscuit into her mouth.

"This thing we're going to hunt... the information I've gathered on it shows that it's incredibly powerful and dangerous." He shuffled and sighed. "I just feel like this hunt is going to end in a lot of ponies hurt or dead..."

Trail nodded. "I think you might be right..." The pegasus sighed. "I've seen this creature, and it's incredibly fast and strong."

Mint swallowed and spoke softly. "So... what do we do then?"

Silver bit his lip and glanced to the three ponies. "We need to talk with someone that knows this beast, and hope they can help us."

Silence fell across the group for a few moments before Shade spoke again.

"I'm game." She smiled and nudged Trail. "What about you feather colt?"

Trail nodded. "I'm all yours boss."

"You know I'm here to stay." Mint nuzzled the stallion next to her and gave him a proud look. "What's the plan?"

Silver looked to each of them with a thankful grin, then nodded. "We're going to visit the farm."

The Goddess of the Moon looked over her night sky from a balcony as she formed it in the night, and she smiled to herself. Another perfect transition to the night. She looked upon the city below from the tower of the castle and she watched the lights turn on, illuminating the streets in a orange and yellow glow that made it look like a painting. She took a moment to absorb the sight before her, but it was cut short as a guard walked up behind her.

"Princess Luna." The mare stood at attention and awaited her attention.

She looked at the guard for a moment then smiled. "At ease... please."

The mare’s stance remained but she did lower her hoof from the salute it was in. "We have a report from Dark Art. He says that it's very urgent."

The goddess nodded. "Very well, inform him that I will be down to his office soon. I need to do something before I meet with him."

The guard gave a quick bow then left the alicorn alone. Luna turned her attention back to the city for a moment, then looked beyond the city to the small town of Ponyville, then beyond that, to the forest it was near. Her thoughts went to the lone protector she knew was living there.

She sighed and rubbed her temple. "What am I going to do... I don't even know where to begin with you Belial." She focused her magic and her eyes began to glow with a moon white light. Her vision was filled with the copse of trees that the Arbor Lunae was nestled in and she say nothing but the undergrowth. She blinked and the view of Canterlot returned to her.

"I wish I could cure him... I want to keep my promise."

She took a deep breath of the cool night air then turned and entered the castle. She made her way through the corridors until she reached the sub levels, and she walked into a small office with a slender unicorn stallion of light yellow sitting behind a desk. The stallion looked up from the folder he was reading and smiled.

"You're majesty." He stood up and bowed. "It's a pleasure."

The mare nodded. "It is, please, lose the disguise."

The stallion nodded and his horn glowed for a moment and his mane became much rougher, his fur was a darker tan in color and his eyes became bright amber and had slit like pupils. He was a member of a unique race, the Shedu or more commonly known as cat-ponies among themselves. They, along with the bat-ponies, and the lone surviving Arachnapony were all born from the same curse. A curse that the lunar princess couldn't cure them from.

Luna smiled and sat on a small chair in front of the desk, looking at the cat pony with a almost motherly gaze.

"Much better. Now then, what is this report about?" She asked as the stallion offered her a small box of mints.

Dark Art closed the box after she took a few mints and placed it on his desk. "Well, I have reason to believe that something is going to happen in Ponyville."

Luna's eyebrow rose slightly and she lightly sucked on the mint in her mouth. "If you are talking about the pillar of light that happened before Nightmare Night, then I must tell you that I dealt with that already."

The cat pony shook his head, and moved the folder to the goddess. "No, that was not much of an issue for us. I'm more worried about the movements of certain ponies."

"'Certain ponies?'" She repeated as her magic picked up the folder. "I must be out of the loop, because I am unaware of any ponies that we are watching."

The stallion nodded. "I thought you were briefed on the actions of my portion of the legion..."

The goddess shuffled slightly and shook her head. "I have done little in the way of official work... much" She gave a sheepish smile. "I haven't read any reports from your portion or Black Wing's. I apologize for not reading it."

The cat eyed stallion blinked slowly then pursed his lips for a moment then nodded. "I will fill you in then."

He cleared his throat and sat up in his chair. "About 100 years ago, my predecessor found out about a interesting group, calling themselves The Children of the Rising Sun. A small guild of a sorts, mostly big game hunters."

"How does a hunting guild get the attention of the Night Guard?" Luna sat up a little.

"Mostly because of what they hunt and how they go about it." He answered and used his magic to open a drawer and pulled out a very thick file. "Illegal hunts, bribery, and use of deadly force on ponies, and that's not to mention they hide their true purpose from government." He placed the file on the desk and looked at the goddess. "And that their hunts involve monsters."

The goddess's eyes widened and she moved towards the edge of her chair.

"So far, we know that they have a wide influence, and plenty of wealth, but unfortunately they are good at covering their tracks, and we have had little evidence to charge them with anything." The cat pony sighed. "We know that they are criminal in their methods, and we've caught some of their members on various crimes, least of which have been murder and trafficking, but those aren't important right now."

He opened the file and riffled through it for a moment and pulled out multiple photos of ponies. "The head of the guild, along with some of the most dangerous members have all been tracked to Ponyville." He pulled out a photo of a brown stallion with a well-groomed mane. "We know that they are staying at the mansion of one Filthy Rich."

Luna looked over the pictures and noticed a silver maned stallion that looked barely into stallionhood. "Who is this? Please don't tell me he is dangerous as well..."

Dark Art shook his head. "No, but he is the son of the leader of this guild." He tapped a picture of a much older stallion with a silver mane. "This is the one to be careful of. He has expanded the guilds illicit activities to smuggling magical contraband, and even murder, but sadly they are good at covering their tracks well."

The goddess nodded and began reading the file of one of the ponies, then blanched at the list of offenses. "By my sister's mane..."

"Agreed. Some of them get even worse." He sat back in his chair. "I suggest we watch Ponyville closely and see what they are up to. It can't be good."

The goddess nodded. "I will take Black Wing there tonight and talk to an old friend. He can help us protect the town."

The stallion nodded. "I insist you bring me as well. I have the most knowledge of this group, and I will be an asset in the field."

Luna nodded and smiled with pride. "Good, because I need an expert, and I know none more qualified than yourself and Black Wing."

Dark Art smiled and gave the mare a salute. "It would be a pleasure, Matriarch."

Luna rose from the chair and gave the stallion a small nod. "I am off to inform your fellow Centurion of this little trip."

Without another word the goddess left the room, taking a glance back to see the cat pony disguise himself back to the unicorn he was when she walked in, and made her way to the barracks. She nodded to the passing guards and stopped once she reached one of the training rooms to watch some of the guards spar for a few moments.

She leaned against the door frame as she watched a batpony stallion spar with an earthpony mare. Her mind drifted to the night that her legion was cursed, and the events that followed. She went down a dark path and was banished, and she was informed by her sister on the night of her return that the surviving members were all placed in a magical stasis, to await for her return. While the spell worked perfectly for the bat ponies, it had a slight complication with the cat ponies. What was it Celestia said? Herding cats was difficult and it caused a complication? The goddess giggled to herself, and she smiled with pride as the sparring mare pinned the stallion.

It had been a warm welcome when she saw the bat ponies, fresh from their sleep, and the cat ponies, who waiting for her for the last three hundred years prior. The fond memory was tainted as she recalled the sad fact. Her Arachnaponies had all been hunted down, mistaken for monsters. That thought led to another, which was bittersweet for Luna. One confirmed survivor, Belial.

Her former Legion and the Royal guard had integrated quickly, and bonded very well. She had worried they would clash, but they had surprised her and Princess Celestia when they became one effective and well-oiled machine, as if they had served with each other the whole time, without a hint of the separation of time. Luna's musings were broken as a male voice came from behind her.

"I was informed you were coming to see me."

The princess turned around and looked upon the Captain of the Night Guard. The bat stallion smiled to the goddess and looked past her to the group of bat ponies and normal ponies. He gave a proud look to the guards then looked to the goddess.

"Shall we discuss this matter in my office, Princess?" Black Wing spoke, his voice soft, but caring an air of calm authority.

The alicorn nodded and motioned for him to lead the way. "After you."

Black Wing led her through the halls of the Barracks, through the halls of the castle into the western tower, and finally into a small office. The stallion removed his helm and sat behind the desk, while Luna moved to stand beside it.

"So, what is this little meeting about?" The guard asked in a polite tone. He leaned back in his chair and rubbed his eyes with a tired sigh. "I hope I didn't mess up some paperwork."

Lune shook her head. "No, this is much more interesting, and important than a few papers."

The stallion opened his eyes, and then looked to the mare. "Please, do tell."

She smiled. "I see you are paying close attention now."

"Anything to save me from paperwork please." He smiled and sat up.

"Good to hear, because you are going to join me in the field with Dark Art." She shared the smile with the stallion then closed the door with her magic. "I assume you read his reports on this group called the Children of the—"

"Rising Sun..." He finished for the goddess and his smile quickly faded to a dark grimace. "I know them very well... They are the guild that hunted down the Arachnaponies, and tried to kill the rest of the Legion."

Luna nodded. "You... seem to know them well."

"I watched them kill my friends and fellow Legion members." He took a breath and rubbed his face. "I know them very well, and it's a blight on this kingdom that they still exist."

Luna's expression steeled and she nodded. "Then you have a chance to help me stop them in Ponyville."

The bat wings pony nodded and placed his helm back on his head. "I would be honored to help you stop them."

Comments ( 26 )

interesting...

Time to kick ass and chew gum

6673321

And we're all out of gum?

I don't want Silver, Mint, Red Trail, or Shade to get hurt, at least one of them will though, I can feel it.

Sad boys

6673582 Nah. Two at least are gonna die. If one gets hurt though it'll be the son. I can see it.

At least he found love before his death. I would be so lucky to have that honor.

Things are picking up...nice :rainbowdetermined2:

what i got from this "celestia is incompetent" excellent

6674944 More like Celestia is too bound by the rules of the ponies while Luna isn't...

6679016 I thought I got rid of it all when I did a rewrite a while back... crap, I need to re work this chapter again then. Sorry for that.

Somehow, i can see silver, mint and co. meeting up with Twilight.

"Hi, we're here to warn a rather large spider-pony about a late night snack that will be blundering towards him soon..."

You're majesty.

Your*

6679042 you may also want to apply some fixes to errors I highlighted in my latest comments.

Also if you got rid of that TwiMac ship there are at least two more mentions: one where Guardian smelled Twi on Mac and asked about them spending a night together and a tidbit about ponies not usually sexxing outside of being special someponies/marriage and the second where Guardian mentioned that ponies seems to fall in love around him: Mac and Twi, Sweetie and Feather

1122 likes & 26 dislikes

Just a shout out for this fantastic story!! Can't wait for more!!

6991047 Wait? Is this actually a clopfic? Please tell me it isn't.

Comment posted by Spooky Moon deleted Apr 17th, 2017

AAAhhh... It burns, doesn't it? The huge build up, the expectations and then? Nothing. Only emptiness instead of The Next Button. It is like a bad BDSM partner.

Well, let's throw this drama behind us shall we? Come with me, forget about this story it wasn't that good anyway and let's go read something that got the completed tag. I'll be at Stormageddon: Changeling Spy you'll find me there if you ever looked for me.

This story just keeps getting more interesting.

9816509
That is true, while it seems to be the most logical of the two theories, I like to think that the latter suggestion is correct, on the grounds that it is amusing to think Big Macintosh goes about his day stoically high as the moon.

I hope you are still planning on finishing this one

And then there was a hoedown in the Everfree forest! And everyone kissed and got married! The end!

I hope you come back to this story. I would love to see how it all ends.

Login or register to comment