• Published 3rd Feb 2021
  • 637 Views, 11 Comments

Silly, Innocent Twilight - YourUncleFuncle



Twilight wants to write a letter to her crush after reading a romantic novel, but she doesn't know what some of the words in the book mean. Unfortunately for her, she goes to ask Pinkie and Rainbow, who see it as an opportunity for a hilarious prank.

  • ...
2
 11
 637

Writing the Letter

Spike had been out all morning doing errands for Twilight and was now coming back to the castle carrying in his claws a large number of bags. Most dragons or ponies his size would have easily dropped the large assortment, but since he was so used to it from his many years of being the assistant of Twilight Sparkle, OCD in pony form, it was no problem for him. He had also gotten used to juggling the many responsibilities that he was given. Sometimes he got very little and other times his plate would be full, but he always got them done, really earning his title as #1 assistant.

Today had been a middle-of-the-road day in that regard, not really that busy, but enough that it had kept him out and about for a couple of hours. He had gone to the Quills and Sofas store to get more quills, to Sweet Apple Acres to get a few pink ladies, and to Sugarcube Corner to buy some cupcakes. He was lucky he didn’t run into Pinkie Pie because, although she would have been able to get him his order fast, he would have had to sit through half an hour of her blabbering on about something random and weird. One time he only needed some balloons for a spell Twilight was working on and his pink friend had launched into a conspiracy theory about a secret cult of ponies who go into the woods every third Wednesday to share secrets about pizza making. Her proof was that she once saw a rock there that had an etching that looked like a slice of pizza. The worst part was that was one of her more sane theories.

When he got back to the castle, he noticed right away a few things were askew. First, there were dirty hooves all over the rug and in the main castle hallway as well. Even though he knew his alicorn friend tended to not be the most cleanly being in Equestria, he still found it strange how she hadn't even bothered to wipe her dirty hooves on the mat. It was only a few seconds later that he found the second thing wrong. He looked over to the side and saw a pink book that seemed to have been cast aside based on the fact that the spine was up and the pages were on the floor, spread out in a way that Spike knew would probably bend at least some of the paper. He knew how much his friend loved books, and how she had once thrown a fit when Rainbow Dash had made the fatal mistake of leaving the third Daring Do book pages down to hold her place. Long story short the pegasus now has her very own collection of limited edition Daring Do bookmarks.

Spike assumed that Twilight had thought of something she needed to do or made some discovery, so after a few seconds, he didn’t really think about it. He proceeded down the hallway and into the map room to put all of the things he had bought on the table.

“Twilight, I’m back,” he announced, waiting a few seconds for a response. When none came he decided that she must be somewhere in the castle’s extensive library and began to make his way there.

When he got there he noticed the door was slightly ajar he nudged it further open with one of his claws and peered in. Nothing was unusual or out of place except for the alicorn sitting in the corner with a quill levitating over a sheet of parchment and a bunch of discarded ones scattered across the floor. Although this was pretty typical for his friend, it was usually only when she had an assignment for Princess Celestia, and Spike couldn't think of any that needed to be done, so he decided to go in and see what she was doing.

Right as he began to enter he saw her toss another used sheet over her shoulder and start fresh, so he quietly went behind the mare and tapped her on the shoulder to snap her out of her daze.

"Twilight?" he asked to get her attention. "What are you doing? I didn't know Princess Celestia assigned anything."

Twilight didn't give any indication of hearing him for a few seconds, and right as he was about to try again he saw her head snap around to see him.

"Oh, hello Spike. When did you get here?"

"Uh, just a few seconds ago. I tried to get your attention but I guess you were working too hard."

Twilight turned down and looked at all the papers she had scattered across the floor. She turned back to Spike and smiled sheepishly. "I guess I was in a bit of a daze, huh?"

"I'll say," Spike responded. "What are you working so hard on anyways?"

"It's something private, but if all goes well then you should know about it soon." Spike noticed the alicorn smiled a bit when she said this.

"Well, if I'm going to find about it in a little while anyway then why not just tell me now?" Spike asked.

"If you'll find out in a little while anyway then why not just wait a little bit?" Twilight shot back. She then turned back around and started to write again.

Spike rolled his eyes and turned around to walk away when he stepped on one of the dozens of pieces of parchment. He tried to shake it off but it was stuck to the claws so he reached down and pulled it off. He stared at the paper that now had three holes where his claw had gone through and began considering his options. On the one hoof, he could just drop the paper, walk out the door, and wait for a few more days like Twilight had told him, but on the other, he really wanted to see what was so important that his friend couldn't share with her own assistant. He also figured that since he was her personal assistant, something like this fell under his jurisdiction to keep track of for her.

Needless to say, he went for the latter option and uncrumpled the letter.

Dear Fluttershy,

"SPIKE!"

Spike jumped at the exclamation and then again as the paper glowed purple and found its way back to the pony that it came from originally. Twilight had noticed him reading one of her discarded letters and start to read it and jumped in before he could get very far. She was now looking down at the dragon with a scowl and, as Spike noticed, a little bit of red on her cheeks.

"I told you that you would find out soon! Why are you snooping around now after I told you to wait?"

"Because I wanted to know what the pony I'm supposed to be assisting wasn't letting my assist with," Spike retorted with his arms extended, wondering what the big deal was, "and if you're just writing a letter to Fluttershy, what's so special about it?"

Spike expected her to defend herself and say something about how it was something official or something private, but instead she just hugged the letter even closer to herself and stared blankly off into space.

"Uh, Twilight, are you okay?" Spike asked after a moment after a few seconds of silence, but instead of an answer, she gave him a question of her own.

"H-how much of...of that letter did you read, S-S-Spike?"

Spike found himself cringing at the nervousness in the tone of her voice, and he quickly went to her side to put a claw of comfort on her shoulder. "Calm down, Twilight. I only read the introduction. All I know is that you're writing some kind of letter to Fluttershy."

This only seemed to calm Twilight down a little bit as the grip on the piece of paper loosened a bit, but she still didn't say anything, so Spike got even more concerned.

"Seriously Twilight, this is starting to freak me out! Could you please at least tell me what the letter is about?"

Twilight sighed and shook her head. "I don't know Spike, I don't know."

"But maybe I can help you. You're clearly having a hard time writing it." He gestured to the piles of crumpled up pieces of parchment by his feet.

Twilight let out a dry chuckle. "I am, but I just don't know how ready I am yet."

"Ready for what?"

Twilight thought for a moment before she nodded and turned to the dragon. "Alright, I'll tell you, but you have to pinkie promise you won't tell anypony about this, alright?"

"I promise I won't," Spike agreed while signing all of the motions.

"Alright." Twilight took a brief scan of the room as if there might be a pony hiding behind one of the bookshelves or on the ceiling or something to hear her, and when you know Pinkie Pie it's always a reasonable precaution to take. When she was convinced that they were alone, she brought the dragon closer and whispered in his ear really soft, "I like Fluttershy."

"Well of course you like Fluttershy," Spike replied like it was the most obvious thing in Equestria. "I mean you ponies are all best friends, and I like Fluttershy too, and...and we all...wait...oh..." The realization may have come slow, but it still came to the young dragon. "You're saying you have a crush on her?"

Twilight opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out, so she just nodded her head. The next seconds felt like years, and both the pony and dragon thought they heard Starlight drop a pin somewhere on the other side of the castle.

"Well," Spike broke the silence, "it's a perfectly normal feeling to fall in love with somepony. You know that even I get that feeling with Rarity."

"I know," Twilight said, "but I'm just so scared."

"Why?" Spike's question made Twilight look up with curious eyes, signaling him to continue. "Is it because of rejection or because she's a mare or something else?"

Twilight shook her head. "I've come to terms with my sexuality a long time ago, and even though the thought of her not liking me back has come up, I know that we will still be close in the end, whether as friends or as partners. I'm more worried about conveying all that I feel about her in a single letter."

"So that's what the letter's for," Spike realized. "But why not just go to her and tell her how you feel. Wouldn't you be able to get more off your chest?"

"I...That's something that I am definitely afraid of doing, and knowing Fluttershy it's probably best to wait for her to come to me with an answer instead of unintentionally pressuring her into one on the spot."

"That's true."

"But does it have to be this hard? I have written Celestia knows how many letters in my life, and now I can't even figure out how to send a simple love letter. I just read a book on it and everything! How many times have I been unable to do something I've researched before?"

"Only that time when you tried to find a Magic Enhancing Drug for yourself. Celestia was not very happy with you." He smiled sheepishly when his comment earned him a glare.

"Regardless," Twilight continued, "I think I'm getting close, however, I really feel I'm still not saying how much I love her."

"Once again you're overthinking everything, Twilight," Spike told his friend who now looked half angry and half confused. "You don't have to get into the nitty-gritty right now. All you have to do is say a few introductory things, maybe a thing or two for what you like about her, and then send it! Easy as Pinkie Pie!"

Spike looked relieved when Twilight started to consider it because that meant she wasn't going to shoot it down right away like so many other times she thought she knew best. The poison joke may have been fun for him, but it certainly wasn't for the rest of the gang.

"Thanks, Spike," Twilight smiled with appreciation with a nod. "I think you may be right. I just need to say how I feel, plain and simple."

"You're welcome Twilight," Spike replied. He saw her open her hooves to offer a hug, which he accepted. He hung on for a few seconds before releasing her and was relieved to find that she seemed a lot happier and calmer than when he had found her a few minutes earlier. "So when are you going to finish that letter? I have to get dinner ready. Should I tell Starlight it will be another two hours?"

Twilight rolled her eyes and waved a hoof at the joke. "I'll be done soon. I think I know what to say now. Just go get it started right now while I write this out." She turned around and levitated her quill over again and dipped it in the ink next to her. "I can't wait to tell Fluttershy about the amazing foreplay I imagine us doing."

"That's what I- Wait, WHAT???"

Twilight turned around abruptly. "Spike, what's wrong?"

Spike shook his head and made sure that his ears were still functioning properly. "What did you just say?"

"I said that I really want to tell Fluttershy about the foreplay I want us to do in this letter. Isn't that a normal thing to do in a relationship."

Spike felt his face burn hotter than the sun, and he fumbled around for a few seconds before he answered. "I mean, it is, but, um... don't you think it's a little too early to start talking about that kind of stuff? I could see maybe with Rainbow Dash, Celestia knows what she thinks about, but I seriously doubt Fluttershy would be comfortable with that."

"Why? If she's doesn't want to play Twister, she can pick whatever activity she wants to do."

Spike had to process this new information. "But...but... I mean I guess if you really think she's into that kind of stuff then go ahead, but just remember that she's a delicate mare."

"Uh, sure Spike. Now go start dinner. You know how Starlight gets when she's hungry."

After that, she turned around for the final time and got to scribbling on a new piece of parchment. Spike stood frozen for a second before shaking his head and leaving the room, but not before hearing Twilight giggle, "Wait until I tell her about the hickey I'm going to give her."


While he was preparing for dinner, which was Spaghetti and Hayballs, Spike couldn't stop thinking about the touching moment with Twilight that had turned weird in less than another moment. It was one thing that she was trying to get a marefriend, but it was another that she wanted to do so much so quickly to her. It made Spike suddenly not hungry, so he had made less Spaghetti than usual.

"Smells good in here Spike," Starlight Glimmer complimented as she walked through the door and sat at the table.

"Thanks," he said with a monotone voice that Starlight picked up right away.

"Is something wrong?"

"No," Spike replied as he almost gaged, "everything's alright."

Starlight just shrugged and got herself a glass of water and waited at the table for dinner in silence, leaving Spike to his own thoughts again.

"I never would have thought she had a fetish for Twister. Clue maybe, but not Twister."

Author's Note:

I realize this chapter is very similar to the last, but the next one will definitely be different. Thanks for reading!

Comments ( 3 )

I do question why Twilight asked Pinkie and Rainbow? Even when they're serious, they're hardly experts on this. Fluttershy is obviously out. Cadence is too far away for this. Which leaves two.

Rarity... Will die a virgin since doesn't know a thing about real romance. Applejack is probably a safer choice.

So why these two? Or is it solely for the pranking angle?

10706690
Pranking angle honestly, and also because they just happened to be there when she was wondering. I think it's funny that she had to go to those two instead of, like you said, Rarity or Applejack, because even though Rarity will probably never get a date (which is sad because she was the only one who really cared canonically) she would still know a thing or two.

this is killing me. i love this fic 🩷😊

Login or register to comment