• Published 28th Mar 2021
  • 5,919 Views, 1,783 Comments

Harry Potter and the Prancing of Ponies - The Guy Who Writes



Dumbledore doesn't reverse the trap he laid on the Mirror in time. The Mirror traps Harry and Voldemort outside of Time... and inside the MLP universe. MLPxHPMoR Crossover.

  • ...
34
 1,783
 5,919

PreviousChapters Next
Rehabilitation 11.2: Trip to Tartarus

Author's Note:

The topics discussed in this chapter aren't expressly political, but they might prove problematic for some readers. I debated whether or not I should cut those parts, then decided to keep them.

Hopefully I'm just fretting about nothing. I'd like to believe that everybody who's made it this far is mature enough to handle uncomfortable information, but I'm still worried that politics have killed a few brains here, which is why I'm including this foreword. I'll also be including a MUCH longer afterword in the comments, for those that are interested.

Trigger warnings that have applied for previous chapters apply for this one. Nothing explicit, but adult topics are discussed in-depth. Onward.

"Harry, I've seen many abused children in my time at Hogwarts, it would break your heart to know how many." -Professor McGonagall, HPMoR Ch6

"As it stands, you are being ill-served by your willful ignorance of all human nature you deem unpleasant." -Professor Quirrell, HPMoR Ch73

"There were a few people that did better than everyone around them, and they were exceptionally good. But the ones who just accepted what everyone else thought weren't exceptionally evil. The sad fact is that most people just don't notice a moral issue at all unless someone else is pointing it out to them; and once they're as old as Salazar was when he met Godric, they've lost the ability to change their minds." -Harry JPEV, HPMoR Ch47


"...and I just couldn't believe it," said the griffon petitioner. A rarity, but one that Luna welcomed. The problems of pony petitioners are often boringly tame. "She was so hysterical and over-the-top. It just didn't make sense to me."

Luna, after listening intently, asked, "What did the mother do, precisely?"

"She got furious at me just for writing down the incidents after they happened. She was constantly saying 'You must have done something to her, what did you do?' But with a lot of these special ed chicks... I mean, speaking as a special ed teacher of twenty years... there's just no way to know when they'll go off, or why. I mean, I didn't touch her daughter at all, her daughter saw a bag she liked and asked if she could have it, and I said no, and even when she was pecking and clawing at me, I didn't hit back, all I did was write down the details afterwards. Her mother saw what I wrote, and then she was screaming at me and calling all my superiors and everything, and I just sat there in shock. I just... I'm retired now, it's been years since then, but I still don't understand it. I get wanting to protect your chick, but this was so over-the-top..."

When the petitioner trailed off, unable to come up with more to say, Luna spoke. "I have a theory. It doesn't mean I'm right, it is just a theory, but... in Griffonia, the laws and norms against chick abuse are... not as thorough as Equestria, correct?"

The griffon nodded hesitantly.

Luna continued. "In my experience... that is, my thousand-year-old experience, I have not seen it in Equestria since my return, but back in my day... it was often the case, I think, that some mental disabilities... what you call 'special ed' foals... in particular the ones pertaining to personality more than intelligence – violent mood swings, no attention span, that sort of thing – those cases were often the result of abuse and violence at home. Which is to say those behaviors were imbibed from the environment in one way or another. So when the chick's mother was shouting at you, asking what you did to set her chick off... I would call that projection. In the mother's experience, her chick explodes in the face of violence and other highly negative experiences, likely perpetuated by the mother herself, so she believed the only way her daughter could have reacted that way was if you did what she typically does to her daughter. And she was calling your superiors and trying to put the blame on you because she doesn't want anypony examining her own relationship with her daughter too closely. If you felt like she was putting on a show, like she was acting, like her hysteria was too over-the-top to be real, that might have been because it was too over-the-top to be real. She was putting on a performance, manipulating the situation, trying to achieve a specific effect."

"Bad actors tend to overact to compensate for lack of skill," Riddle contributed.

"Precisely," said Luna, though she gave him a look that combined her thanks with a request for him to let her continue alone. "From your perspective," Luna said to the griffon, "nothing came of the wild accusations aside from stress and a waste of time, but from the mother's perspective, all of the authorities looking at you instead of her could have been an arrow dodged, if you see what I'm saying?"

"I... I never thought of it that way," said the griffon, sounding distant. She repeated that phrase many times that night.

The conversation lasted longer, went into other topics, but eventually, the night's only petitioner left Night Court looking like she'd been exhausted, not relieved, by the truth. But she was not ungrateful, thanking Luna profusely before exiting the room.

"If only I could have petitions like that every night," Luna sighed.

"That would take some doing," said Riddle. "Advertising in Griffonia, perhaps."

"Mmm," said Luna. She looked about to close her eyes to dream-walk.

But a comment from Merlin had gotten Riddle thinking, and once the idea was in his head, it wouldn't leave until he had an answer. Now seemed a good time to ask.

"Does Equestria have a cultural taboo against homosexuality?"

For he has yet to see or even hear about a single same-sex relationship since his arrival here. Not that he had been actively looking for them, but in magical Britain you can't go overlong without encountering the topic in one form or another, from Quibbler headlines to the giggled gossip between girls, especially in Ravenclaw.

Riddle wondered if he had finally found a subject that wizards back home, from Lucius Malfoy all the way to Madam Longbottom, would fully and unanimously believe themselves to have the moral high ground over ponies. Part of his own side's propaganda had been that muggles and muggleborns are so stupid, primitive, and backward that they hate homosexuality and other forms of sexual deviancy. Like all propaganda, it was slightly exaggerated for effect, but it was still true. And he had not expected to encounter pony stupidity and primitiveness in this topic, of all places, given how 'loving' and 'tolerant' they seem to be.

"I asked the same thing of my sister soon after my return," said Luna, sitting straighter in her throne. "Taboo is… not quite the correct word. Do we have a taboo against alcohol? For adults, not at all. Drink to thy heart's content; it is your body, after all. On the other hoof, is excessive drinking and addiction a sign of trauma and pain, past or present? Most often yes. Homosexuality, like drinking, is not a taboo. It is not a topic-which-must-not-be-named like it was in the very distant past, nor is it illegal for consenting adults. But it is a potential red flag. Or perhaps I should say it was a red flag. The problem to which it pointed was addressed long ago, and the worries associated with homosexuality have largely disappeared. I think at this point it is simply less common, and thus less thought about. Soon after the Three Tribes period, the rate of homosexuality was around one in fifty. Now it is lower."

"Were there legal or cultural pressures to reduce it?" he asked. "Did ponies view it as unnatural and disgusting?"

"Not directly. There were legal and cultural efforts to eliminate foalhood sexual abuse, not homosexuality, and as you may or may not know, the two are often linked."

"Based on what evidence?" he said at once. For he has personally known sexually abused children who did not grow up into homosexual adults. Bellatrix being the most prominent example.

"My sister's scholars gathered the evidence," said Luna. "Once they knew the right questions to ask. Though the suspicion existed earlier than that. After seeing the pattern so many times in my Night Court sessions, I began to suspect that certain sexual behaviors were closely tied to the rate of foalhood sexual molestation. After my banishment, my sister set her scholars to investigation, and they discovered the very ugly statistic that 1 out of every 3 fillies and 1 out of every 14 colts were sexually molested before adulthood."

"Most ponies would consider that far too high to be likely." Although he didn't. It sounded about right for magical Britain. But most wizards and witches don't like to think about such things, and most wizards and witches aren't nearly cynical enough to predict the reality around them.

"It certainly is too high to be 'likely' in this day and age. Far too high."

Riddle shook his head. "Even back then, I imagine there was extreme doubt and disbelief about those numbers."

"Indeed," said Luna. "The earliest estimates were lower, but those estimates were based on questionnaire surveys, which were inaccurate due to a reason that was only obvious in retrospect. For it is a sad fact that proficient abusers lure their victims into emotional or resource dependency before engaging in abuse, so as to reduce their chances of being reported to the guard and going to jail. In a world without Obliviation, the smartest criminals turn their victims into their most ardent public defenders the old-fashioned way: manipulation, bribery, threats, and all the other things that I'm certain I needn't explain to you of all ponies. The comparatively pessimistic numbers on foal molestation were eventually proven true, and it only took so long to prove it because motivated actors were explicitly trying to prevent data collection."

"Criminals fear the spotlight of scrutiny like cockroaches fear light," he allowed. "But what does any of this have to do with homosexuality?"

"Well, in their efforts to uncover the truth, and with my sister guiding them using some of the things I learned in Night Court, my sister's scholars eventually confirmed a strong correlation between sexual abuse early in life and sexual deviancy later in life."

"Correlation does not mean causation," he said at once. "And what qualifies as 'sexual deviancy'?"

"Anything that deviates from the norm," Luna answered. "Interest in promiscuity and cheating, interest in open relationships instead of monogamy, interest in the same sex, interest in strange and often disgusting 'kinks', like feces, and especially interest in foals. The further the sexual deviation, the more likely it was preceded by sexual abuse during foalhood. That was the base discovery. It is not mere correlation, it is a predictable pattern. Or it was prior to its elimination in Equestria. Griffonia is still working on it."

"If it is so predictable, how come sexual abuse does not reliably lead to homosexuality? I know an abused woman who had no interest in other women."

"And was her approach to sexuality what most ponies would call 'normal' or 'healthy'?"

Not in the slightest, he thought, a mental image of the Lestrange brothers coming to mind. "No," was what he decided to say. "She was close to a prostitute, I suppose." For she would bed whomever he bade.

Luna nodded. "That was another common consequence. I once made it a point to ask every voluntary prostitute I met the very simple question of 'What was your earliest sexual experience?' and I did not like what I learned. 'Tis fascinating what the simplest questions can reveal. Asking that very same question of sexual deviants of any kind often leads to similar answers. In any case, you must turn the problem around. It is not the case that you can reliably predict future sexual behavior based on past abuse. It can deviate from the norm in any number of ways, or not at all, for the evolutionary impulse to normalcy is strong. But it is the case that you can somewhat reliably predict the existence of past sexual abuse based on current deviant sexual behavior. Do you understand?"

"I understand the argument," said Riddle. "Can you reliably predict if a rectangle is a square, just from being told it's a rectangle? No. Can you reliably predict a square is a rectangle, just from being told it's a square? Yes."

"Exactly!" Luna applauded. "Although of course real life is not nearly so absolute as math. Perhaps less than one in three sexually abused foals grew up to exhibit significantly deviant sexual behaviors. But well above two in three sexually deviant adults experienced sexual abuse as foals. Not most abuse victims become 'bent' adults, as the slang used to go. But most 'bent' adults were abuse victims. And it only takes one predator to make many victims."

"And that meant a ban on the behavior?" Riddle predicted. Because criminals are just so keen on respecting what the government says they can and can't-

"Not a legal ban," said Luna. "Well, not between consenting adults. After the base discovery, my sister primarily ensured that clinicians and therapists knew to regard sexual deviancy of any kind as a significant potential warning sign of past sexual abuse. Careful inquiry was made of ponies who displayed it, and the guard would get involved if it was abuse, and that was enough to set the country ablaze with cultural turmoil, according to Tia. There were many ponies attempting to resist the spread of knowledge, with efforts effective enough that Tia clearly remembers them to this day. Catchphrases and hysteria and distractions, all of which were highly persuasive to ponies who wished to be seen as good more than they wished to be good, and I wonder if your cynical mind can see the reason behind it all."

Riddle didn't need even one second. If homosexuality became probable cause to investigate for signs of childhood sexual abuse, if it actually was probable cause, if the entire medical establishment was told that, and legal consequences were suddenly a very real possibility…

"The molesters were worried that the evidence they were leaving in plain sight was finally being noticed for what it was," Riddle offered. "And they were desperately trying to cover their tracks," he added.

Similar to the squib situation, he supposed. The proud pureblood witches cheating on their proud pureblood husbands with handsome muggles would use any means at their disposal to discredit Mr. Silver if he ever tried to publicly explain how their squibs had really been born – as a result of sexual union between wizard and non-wizard. Always. No exceptions.

That turbulent political and social controversy would be extreme enough, and it's just adults cheating on other adults with a result that factually argues against some of the tenets of blood purism. Throw victimized children into the mix, and a much wider cultural consensus to be argued against…

"Indeed," said Luna, her expression growing cold. "Most ponies who repeated mantras like 'born that way' and 'love is blind' were unaware, or unwilling to consider it, or willfully ignoring it. But the ones who made those mantras in the first place... or rather, the ones who most vociferously voiced them… again, not all turned out to be abusers, some were simply idealists wearing rose-tinted goggles, but others…" Her expression grew even colder. "Others were professing their amazingly virtuous tolerance towards all forms of sex and romance with a different goal in mind. Their motive was simple: they were pedophiles trying to decriminalize their own degeneracy."

"Now that," Riddle said, "is catchy in translation." He'll have to remember it. Decriminalization of degeneracy… it's certainly less crass than 'normalize their nutting'. "And your sister noticed the pedophile angle without your help?"

"Only because she knew the truth ahead of time, I think, for I told her before my banishment. But yes, she noticed their tactics without my active help, given that I was not there. The louder a pony proclaims their own virtue, the more likely it is to be a cover for evil. Especially for the topic at hoof. Those who decry their selflessness turn out to be the most self-serving. Those who claim to be defenders of love turn out to be extremely hateful. Ponies like that are just about as immoral as you can get, using moral language in the same way my father did, the same way Ms. Cole did – as camouflage for their many misdeeds."

The Riddle of four years ago would have said that all moral language was used that way, but the Riddle of today had been given reason to doubt his old perspective. To universalize truths about all of reality from personal experience is, at the end of the day, motivated reasoning based on anecdotes.

"If this happened in the past," Riddle said with a frown, "does that mean there is a cultural taboo against homosexuality now?"

This was what he really wanted to know, to see the difference between modern Equestrian and wizard perspectives, for ponies seemed like they wouldn't be the type to judge or criticize based on romantic interest.

Luna tapped her chin. "Mm… not quite. That cultural conflict occurred almost a millennium in the past. The root cause was addressed long ago, and the scars of society have healed."

"How so?"

"Through knowledge," said Luna. "Most ponies once had flowery mental images of gay relationships. Through ignorance and projection, ponies who were both good and naïve imagined gay couples to be almost exactly the same as their own romances. According to my sister, most ponies did not react well when they learned what the majority of homosexual relationships actually involved – rampant promiscuity, disease, physical pain and scarring, hedonism, mind-affecting substances, sometimes bestiality, and an all-too-common desire to 'mentor' younger ponies into the lifestyle. Like excessive smoking and drinking, all but the last two were viewed as things that consenting adults may do if they wish, though it was also viewed as unhealthy and a sign of deeper problems, and finally, it was, at the end of the day, not viewed as the full fault of the adults who engage in it. It was the fault of their past abusers, if abuse was indeed the cause. So long as they did not do it in front of foals, or try to push it onto foals, it was tolerated."

She sighed.

"Is what I would like to say, for that is how I viewed it, how my sister viewed it, how the healers viewed it. But that is not how most ponies reacted. So yes, there was outrage. There was fear and disgust and unjust discrimination on one side, and defensiveness and self-righteousness and justifications and excuses on the other. In a few brief decades, sexual deviancy went from something that everypony should accept because love is love to a sign of a damaged soul because lust is lust. All black and white, little nuance. Such is the way of public politics, by which I mean mob mentality."

"And today?" Riddle reiterated for the third time.

"Time and understanding have done much healing since then. The behaviors of the gay 'community', if it can even be called that anymore, are no longer a hundredth as unhealthy as they once were, and homosexuals today are almost never the result of child abuse. In the modern day it is viewed as a rare and strange but ultimately harmless quality, so long as the obvious potential cause has been ruled out and all parties are consenting adults who keep their fornication private, especially from foals. And since that same rule applies to straight fornicators, it cannot be said that there is any unfair treatment going on."

"So there is no discrimination?"

"Not as such. Homosexual ponies might not be doing their evolutionary and societal duty of becoming parents…" she shrugged. "But neither do some heterosexual ponies. And in any case, it is uncommon enough that most ponies hardly think about it." She huffed in amusement. "'Tis more likely a fuss will be caused by a pony having hippogriff offspring with a griffon, and even that is hardly contentious unless the griffon parent is not well-adjusted. My sister assures me that interspecies relationships do not produce a tenth of the tensions that the homosexuality hysteria once did."

"And did you ever share that hysteria?" Riddle asked. "Did you have a phobia of the 'deviants'? If, say, your sister was gay, would you freak out?"

"If I was that kind of pony," Luna said without seeming to take offense, "I would not have had so many long, deep, heartfelt conversations with so many prostitutes, homosexuals, bisexuals, fetishists, and everything else under the moon and stars. My first instinct is to question and discover root causes. If the root cause is not abuse, and if no abuse is going on in the relationship, then I do not criticize. I know for a fact that my sister was not sexually abused, nor would she abuse her partner, nor choose a partner who would BE abusive, so I would not mind if she found mares attractive."

"You do not mind the gay lifestyle?"

"Today? Not at all."

"And in the past?"

"In the past, I minded the patterns that I eventually began to see. I minded the self-destructive behaviors – spouse-on-spouse violence, shouting, drugs and addiction, cheating. If the couple I was speaking to, gay or straight, engaged in those behaviors, I would speak out against the negative aspects, and it was only through repeated experience that I saw how much more likely it was in the relationships that were not straight. I minded the pattern of sexual abuse being an extremely common denominator among the most hardcore and destructive deviants, which in retrospect is exactly what you'd expect, given that self-destructive and addictive behaviors are the most common ways in which ponies self-medicate for past trauma. But the sex itself? Their bodies, their bedrooms, their property, their choice. So long as it is consensual, of course."

"Hm," Riddle said, his attention half elsewhere.

He considered her wider perspective. He had little capacity to judge if all that he'd just heard was a 'moral' or 'immoral' stance. It seemed more like a controversial logical one than anything, and he would have to double-check the numbers himself… or maybe not. He didn't really care. But he at least knew that…

"Well," he said. "It is a good thing Equestria is divorced from Earth," he remarked. "I believe our current rate of homosexuality is close to one-in-fifty, and I can imagine how your perspective would go over with wizarding culture." Or muggles, for that matter. Mr. Potter once remarked that the muggles have 'progressed' in that way, to some degree.

Luna gave him a stern look, then sighed and shook her head. "You will likely be doing far more than imagining how the perspectives clash."

"You intend to come along when I return?" he asked, for he could not see any other reason why the perspectives might clash. He didn't intend to bring it up.

"I'm not sure if I will even be able to," she pointed out. "But now that you know what a homosexuality rate of one-in-fifty means, you cannot unknow it."

"I still doubt it means what you think it does," Riddle observed. "There is no guarantee that sexual abuse had exactly the same effect on human statistics. Perhaps the natural prevalence of homosexuality in humans is higher."

"...Perhaps," said Luna after a pause. "Now that you mention it, I believe the natural prevalence is higher in griffons and dragons. Not as high as one in fifty, but not as low as one in one thousand, or even one in five hundred, if I recall correctly, though the numbers won't be finalized until they fully eliminate abuse within their boarders. Across species and nations, out of all sexual behaviors it was prostitution and pedophilia that were most strongly tied with early sexual abuse, along with extreme and destructive sexual behaviors in general, and that's certainly not exclusive to homosexuality, it was just more prevalent there. Straight couples are not immune by any stretch of the imagination, nor should general statistics ever be used to make judgements about individuals, as the general public did during the homosexuality hysteria. In the end, the effects of eliminating abuse are not always predictable in a case-by-case basis. I can only say how it happened in Equestria, and even then I must go by the accounts of my sister and her researchers."

"Then why bring up exact numbers at all?"

Luna considered the question. "A good point. Truthfully, I forgot about the species difference. In the future, I will try to avoid conclusions that are not mostly consistent across all Equestrian species. Which means I will not avoid saying that early trauma creates hidden ripple effects on every aspect of society, in some areas more than others. I can't imagine humanity will see exactly the same results we did, but I can say in a general sense that the cultural shifts will be shocking and downright offensive to the majority of ponies in the moment. As a mare who came from the distant past herself, I have been occasionally offended by what I've seen in modern Equestria, though it is infinitely preferable to the alternative. But the point remains that when you leave this realm, the knowledge of evil's prevalence on Earth will haunt you until you do something about it, even if it takes generations to address, and even if you have to defy cultural norms to fix it, just as you always must do for major moral advancements."

He kept most of his skepticism from showing. He doubted that would ever happen. People have an impossible enough time supporting the 'good' side when there is an obvious and evil threat like Voldemort. To spend his centuries 'fixing' subtle, ingrained, controversial problems that don't significantly impact his survival or the survival of the species sounds far too annoying. Especially if he can't even rely on Equestrian statistics to be comparable for humanity.

He allowed his thoughts to cumulate into a single question: "Why would I do that?"

"Why would you do something about a foalhood molestation rate of 1 in 5?" she asked rhetorically, not quite keeping her voice neutral, though she tried. "Because one who can cast the true Patronus would never let that abide."


It took some time, and more digressions into Luna's conceptions of morality, for him to steer the conversation back to topics he was a bit more inclined to discuss: namely, the Stone and phoenix immortality.

Even after learning how he obtained the Stone – i.e. by theft – Luna did not object to his claim of ownership, since he stole it from a thief. And that means his Stone, his choice what to do with it. She had a similar stance on his rituals: his labour, his choice what to do with it. To take the Stone would be theft. To force him into action would be slavery.

He asked if the constant deaths of her subjects constituted emergency ethics, now that it has been revealed death by old age can be gainsaid.

Some may view it that way, she answered, and rightfully so. Perhaps even she views it that way. But she has been Vowed to not use his secrets against him. She promised not to do so. What is she to do, even if she could? Go back on her solemn word, betray a close pony, steal that pony's property, all because it's in her own perceived interest to do so?

Obviously, Riddle had said.

She shook her head. Even if she was willing and able, what then? Attack him and steal the Stone? Force him into compliance and ruin everything she has worked towards thus far? Even if she succeeded, what next? That is always the question that must be answered. What next?

If the Stone is misplaced, or stolen, or destroyed, or ceases to function – and that last one is the most important – her desperation will come back to bite her. She will have irreparably hurt the one who was best able to help, and she would be left with nothing. His caution about the danger of haste was valid.

Except that he wasn't even doing the opposite of haste, she amended. He wasn't moving carefully and slowly on the Stone problem, he was doing nothing at all. That is the only thing that is truly bothering her.

She did wish he would at least lend the Stone to Ms. Sparkle for examination and research, and she would like him to at least tell Celestia of the phoenix ritual, even if both were under strict contracts of silence.

Riddle said he might not be opposed to the research proposal in the future, but Twilight was a bit too reckless and magically inexperienced. As for Celestia, absolutely not. He's not in the mood to be condescended to. Not by her.

Luna – by Vow or by values, he did not know which was pulling her strings – accepted his stance, if not his reasoning.

Even ideas can be property, she acknowledged, though it took time to adjust to that modern perspective. Not much time; in retrospect she's extremely happy about the legal/moral advancement of intellectual property.

The Stone is his property. How he uses it is his property. His knowledge of rituals is his property. And as the Equestrian saying goes: his property, his choice. Conditional on him respecting the property of others, of course.

She did point out that if somepony else independently invents the idea for those rituals and acquires the ability to perform them, he does not have the right to stop them, nor complain that he did not capitalize on his current market advantage. Intellectual property must not be a restriction on the originality of others.


Aside from the ambient noises of the train, the ride was comfortably silent. Unlike on the last prisoner escort with Discord, Sombra had been muted, blackened, and dispelled. He was utterly unable to perceive or interact with the world beyond his cage in any way; he was only physically able to interact with the cage itself, and that would get him nowhere.

Riddle read a book to occupy his attention.

"Um…" said the only other pony in the cabin. "So… how have you been?"

Riddle looked up and beheld Twilight Sparkle, his fellow guard on this trip to Tartarus, who didn't seem to have brought a book of her own. Or perhaps she did, but preferred conversation.

"Better than expected," he answered with practiced honesty. He vanished his book into his robes and met her nervous gaze with a disarming one. She didn't quite seem to be talking to him because she wanted to. "How goes your own ambition, Ms. Sparkle?"

"Not well," the purple mare huffed in frustration. "I'm going to need basically unlimited magic to cut through Time and Space, but I don't have unlimited magic. I think it might be possible to channel unlimited magic, but the problem is getting that magic in the first place, and that means I have to unravel the whole nature of magic, and that's where I'm stuck."

Good luck, came the reply in his mind. Most prominent wizard scholars have tried. None have succeeded. He didn't say it out loud, recognizing it as one of the many habits that drove others away from him.

Twilight continued, unaware of the unspoken sarcasm. "Everything I really want to try would be way too dangerous, and everything I actually try doesn't work." Twilight's frustrations then seemed to lessen. "So I've been researching dragon magic while I try to think of another angle. I've gotten pretty far, too. What about you?"

"I have a ways to go in my own main task." He paused as a thought came to him.

"What's your main task, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Achieving happiness," he answered, though his mind was elsewhere. Then he made his decision. "Ms. Sparkle," he said formally and seriously. "There is something I'd like you to examine and replicate. If you succeed, you will help all of Equestria. But if you do not succeed, you must never speak of it. Are you willing to abide by those terms?"

Twilight blinked. "I… um… maybe?"

Riddle withdrew a magical parchment from his robes, composed a contract, then floated it to her.

He had not planned to do this so early, but he decided it was time.

I will not try to take the Stone. I will give it up at a moment's notice when Riddle asks for it. I will not risk destroying the Stone on any experiment that might do so, unless Riddle gives me leave. I will tell no one else of the Stone or any conversations involving it unless Riddle gives me leave. I will do nothing with this information unless Riddle gives me leave.

"What stone?" asked Twilight after reading it.

"Sign the contract," said Riddle, "and I will tell you." He glanced at the cage. "On the way back." Just in case.

"Is the stone magical?"

"Ancient and powerfully so."

She signed the contract.

The rest of the trip was uneventful, including the sub-task he had mentioned to Luna. Tartarus seemed secure as far as Dementorless magical prisons go. It might be vulnerable to Dementors, but just about everything is weak to that which can end life, drain magic, and eat matter away to nothingness.


In one cell, a being was frowning in concentration. His eyes were closed, his four legs were folded on the ground beneath him, his arms were crossed over his chest. Slowly, he made mental adjustments. Carefully, he progressed to perfectly internal consistency, made all the more difficult by the joint venture, the two sacrifices, the two purposes. Patiently, he allowed his two intentions to stabilize in his imagination…

PreviousChapters Next