• Published 28th Mar 2021
  • 5,921 Views, 1,783 Comments

Harry Potter and the Prancing of Ponies - The Guy Who Writes



Dumbledore doesn't reverse the trap he laid on the Mirror in time. The Mirror traps Harry and Voldemort outside of Time... and inside the MLP universe. MLPxHPMoR Crossover.

  • ...
34
 1,783
 5,921

PreviousChapters Next
Rehabilitation 15.1: Sanctioning Starlight

Ordinarily, the Night Court Watcher and/or Recorder is only somewhat interested in any individual Night Court session that is not his own. Which is to say he's more interested in them than the vast majority of other things he could be doing at any given time.

Even still, being only somewhat interested, he only somewhat pays attention. He does not read a book. He does not do anything overly taxing, mentally or physically. But he doesn't just stare at the session either.

Sometimes he practices a wizard spell he'd like to reach the point of reflexive wandlessness. Sometimes he practices a pony spell he desires to reach the point of hornlessness. Sometimes he practices other magics, like Potions or Transfiguration, both of which are doable (and to him preferrable) with background distractions going on.

He sometimes works on mundane problems – relatively simple puzzles, or problems of math. Ideally, these calculations would not require him to learn new rules, nor require him to apply old rules in extremely lateral and creative ways. They did not quite require him to think. They were simple problems that kept and reinforced and refined his existing habits of solving so that on future, more difficult problems, he would not stumble over the basics as he tackled the difficulties.

He does activities that can be done without fully thinking about them, and he can stop most of them at any point if the conversation suddenly grows to be gripping. His full, undivided attention is not required for either task.

Naturally, so as to not distract the petitioners, he does this all out-of-sight and out-of-sound, behind a one-way brick wall.

At the start of tonight's petition, Riddle had already begun the process of settling in for an hour or two or three, setting in front of himself a sheaf of papers in preparation for a long length of half-listening, possibly learning, and definitely reinforcing.

And then Luna's opening sentence snapped him out of that haze of habit.

"Hello, Starlight Glimmer."


A/N: So. The following section, until the next horizontal line, was the roadblock responsible for my gap in uploads. Or rather, deciding what to do with it was the roadblock. It was initially cut from the story, as were many other sections that have remained cut out. But this one in particular I decided to refine and re-include, in an attempt to actually improve. I've made many concessions in the delivery of this content, but I AM still going to deliver it.

This will be mostly Riddle's internal thoughts. It tries to clarify as carefully as possible how he sees the world – in a way that exactly conforms to what we've seen from him in HPMoR, plus six years of living in Equestria. That is highly relevant to his future redemption on the political Dark Lord side of things, which is somewhat distinct from his emotional improvement.

Some readers might, as usual, complain of certain parts 'pushing a worldview'. That said, I genuinely think it's much better than what came before. I'm also aware it's still not the optimal approach, to the point that I would have cut it, to the point that I did cut it, debated with myself about it for a month, and then reincluded it with this warning so fewer readers might have cause to complain. Yes, it could be better, but at this point I've gone a month without uploads, it's time to start moving forward again, even if my approach is still flawed. If at any point you become fed up, you have the option to just skip to the next horizontal line, which gets on with the actual encounter with Starlight Glimmer.


Throughout Twilight's Legilimency sessions and Occlumency lessons, Riddle had seen much of Starlight Glimmer. She was a recent subject of focus in many of Twilight's most recent memories. Those were also memories that Twilight explicitly allowed as 'safe to dig for, if you have to dig for something'.

When he got bored of seeing his iterated past selves, he often searched for memories of Starlight Glimmer. Even before her trial the other day, which she had declined to attend, he had pieced together the full story without ever having inquired about her out loud, and after only meeting her once, on his first official day on Project Panacea.

Starlight Glimmer had been the leader of a village of 'talentless' ponies. All Cutie Marks had been replaced by equals signs to symbolize sameness. 'And look,' she would say, pointing to her own equals sign, 'I was the first. I'm leading by example. I, too, am equal like you.'

Predictably, the truth was that – while everypony beneath her was equal to each other in their wretched misery (well, wretched misery by pony standards) – Ms. Glimmer was more equal than anypony else.

She claimed to be removing their talents through an artifact, but she was actually stealing them with a spell of her own making.

She claimed to be doing it for the sake of the ponies, for the sake of the village, for the sake of equality, for the sake of the entire country and world, once their (read: her) influence spread that far. And perhaps she managed to believe it for as long as it took her to say the words. But in truth, the hoarded marks were making herself more powerful.

While the ponies of her village did indeed have true equals signs on their flanks – for the length of time they were talentless, for the length of time Starlight Glimmer's magic was in effect – Ms. Glimmer's own equals sign was an illusion. During that time, the ponies beneath her truly were 'equal' to each other in their crippled states, 'equal' in their forced mediocrity, 'equal' in their statuses as her willing and faithful followers. As her successfully subjugated servants. As her slaves.

And when the defense barrister in her trial had argued that the word 'slavery' was too harsh, for the ponies of the village had chosen to give up their marks of their own free will, the prosecutor came up with the following counter-arguments:

1. Getting consent based on false pretenses is fraud. While it IS the responsibility of individual ponies to exercise their free will with caution, it is the responsibility of business owners, leaders, and public servants to tell the truth. Everything about Ms. Glimmer's rulership of that village relied on false pretenses to lure ponies in. And ONCE they were lured in, the part that made it truly slavery was…
2. That nopony was allowed to get their Cutie Marks BACK after asking for them. And nopony was allowed to leave, they had to stay and contribute to the village. Is this not slavery?

In the somewhat distant future, Starlight Glimmer would become one of those rare ponies who fully redeems herself after falling very far.

The Mare Who Claimed to Strive for Equality, and Stole Cutie Marks to do it.
The Mare Who Claimed to Serve the Ponies, in order to Rise to the Top of them.
The Mare Who Snuffed Out the Light in others, because She Believed Someone Else had Snuffed Out her Own.

She would take a role as a teacher, honestly describing her own past actions as a warning to others – a former wrongdoer who has achieved better understanding and peace of mind. (This was only after extensive vetting, followed by every teaching session of hers being watched and recorded and scrutinized, just in case she slipped back into old ways. Also, she would have to maintain her Patronus Charm for the extent of every lesson.) She would, at that distant future date, eventually give to the Court Scholar and Princess Celestia – and thus give to Canterlot University – the go-ahead to use her story in the following fashion:

Henceforth, whenever introducing modern ponies to the topic of tyranny in an educational setting, Starlight Glimmer's 'Reign of Equality' would be used as THE modern textbook example of a certain kind of authoritarian tyranny. The kind that leans a certain direction. Opposite the direction that Sombra and Tirek leaned, for instance.

And the reason Starlight's example would be used to introduce modern-day ponies to that style of tyranny is because nopony died, nopony was hurt in the long run, it was a relatively minor and straightforward and uncomplicated and understandable affair, and there was a happy ending. Also it happened recently, with recent names like 'Twilight Sparkle' and 'The Elements of Harmony' involved, so there aren't many compounding historical details that make the story more difficult to relate to, no strange past contexts that must be parsed separately in the minds of the students.

(The true pony historians of Canterlot University, the ones who would go on to study the topic of political tyranny in-depth – those rare individuals who managed to not quit in disgust or fear or seething hatred halfway through, or be dismissed for seeming to admire or respect the ways of the successful tyrants – the truly competent pony historians would often look back on their early days in nostalgia, for how tame Starlight Glimmer's plot was, how tame Blueblood and the Unicorn Clubs were, how tame most of modern Equestria seems to be, even how tame Sombra and Tirek's brief returns had been, in comparison to the ugliness of the past.)

But the wider implications of Starlight Glimmer's redemption would happen later, in the somewhat distant and unseen future.

In the somewhat nearer and clearer present, while watching Twilight Sparkle's recent memories of Starlight Glimmer, Riddle had not been a pony who possessed an Equestrian degree in political education from an institute of higher learning.

And even if he did possess such a qualification, it would have meant little. At that current moment in Equestrian history, Princess Celestia had not yet started – at the future insistence of Prince Excelsior – to allow dangerous subjects like Dark Rituals or political tyranny to be taught openly at the highest graduate levels of CU, so that there might exist Equinoids other than Alicorns who are capable of countering them.

(Although before any dangerous subjects would be taught in the first place, various methods of evaluating the academic, moral, and maturity standards of aspiring students would be developed, and THOSE would always be overseen personally by at least one Alicorn.)

But even still, even without an Equestrian education in politics, even without having sat through any classes on the subject of political tyranny, and without any conscious input or deliberate choice on his part, Riddle's own mind had nevertheless offered the following observation every time there was a memory of Starlight Glimmer acting or speaking in her capacity as the village leader:

He would see her in action, he would hear her words, and he would think to himself, Ambitious, self-serving politician.

Luna would later put Starlight Glimmer's past state more poetically:

"She was a pony whose ambition was drilling in to the part of her being that her soul was supposed to be filling."

But getting back to Riddle, like many other mental models, the general concept of 'ambitious, self-serving political actor' was so ingrained into his thought processes that it had reached the equivalent of wordless, wandless magic in his mind. He does not need to think the full words to himself or go through the full sequence of deliberate and conscious thought to call forth the concept. At least, not when he's witnessing someone who embodies the concept so crystal clearly.

And this automatic mental process happened even BEFORE he eventually saw within Twilight's memories the utterly predictable revelation of Starlight Glimmer's lies. The pattern Ms. Glimmer exploited, the pattern she embodied, is the same one he had exploited himself for almost ten years straight as Voldemort. And that pattern is this:

Back during the war, if it had been raised as a possibility, very few 'traditionalists' in Magical Britain would have entertained a certain fact about Voldemort – in particular, they'd never accept that the Dark Lord was actually a half-blood. Not only would they never predict it in advance, they wouldn't believe it if they were told about it.

Similarly, during her rise, few 'progressive' ponies would entertain the thought that Ms. Glimmer's claims of equality were self-serving falsehoods. The proof of this is in the fact that she took over an entire village with those claims.

Like the traditionalists of Magical Britain who were enraptured by Lord Voldemort's arguments about blood purism – which were far more competently thought through and delivered than the slurred slander spewed by drunks in Nocturn Alley – the progressives of Equestria grew starry-eyed at the surface-appearance of Ms. Glimmer's rhetoric. They were blinded by the seemingly successful manifestation of their deepest desires: the utopian ideal of equality between all.

And so, the entire 'Equality Affair' happened without anyone ever once pointing out to the general population of the village that Starlight Glimmer seemed to be more 'equal' than everypony else. Just as nobody ever once pointed out to the general population of Magical Britain that Voldemort was a half-blood, even to this day.

Not because either claim was untrue, but because the claims would have been scoffed at by the 'very smart' crowd – the (in past Riddle's view) self-flattering morons who would be of better service to humanity as landfill. Those idiots have the crippling attitude of 'You can't fool ME with that obvious lie! Voldemort, a half-blood? Glimmer, a heartless/soulless politician? HAH!' Their stupidity of self assuredness is precisely what makes them the most gullible fools of all. Their retarding confidence – in that their confidence in their beliefs literally retards their thought processes – their retarding confidence in their own infallible intelligence is their downfall.

(Silver Wing would use more temper language than that, even as he describes the same phenomenon. Luna would temper her language, Celestia would temper her language. But Riddle does not.)

Thanks to the existence of the 'very smart' crowd, not even Dumbledore tried to claim the half-blood fact publicly. Dumbledore knew it would not be believed by the blood purist faction or even the general population unless there was completely undeniable and unfalsifiable proof to connect Voldemort to Tom Riddle.

And even then, even with hard proof, it would still go unbelieved by those with motive to disbelieve it. It would only be believed by everyone if Voldemort himself, or perhaps Bellatrix, confirmed it personally and publicly, and that would never happen. Furthermore, if Dumbledore tried to connect Voldemort to Tom Riddle, Voldemort would escalate and make it unpleasant for him. After competently countering the fact with propaganda, as Dumbledore also knew.

Thanks to Lucius Malfoy, the 'Voldemort = half-blood' claim would go unbelieved by those 'very smart people' who unironically read the Daily Prophet to become 'well-informed' (i.e. well-propagandized). It also would go unbelieved by those who are afraid of Lucius Malfoy for any other reason, such as being in debt to him so they could start their prominent Diagon Alley business, or working a cushy Ministry job that Malfoy could arrange to terminate at a moment's notice. And since Ministry workers account for three fourths of the adult population, the overwhelming majority of the apolitical public has motive to disbelieve the fact. And the actual blood purists wouldn't believe it either, of course.

That is one of the major contributing factors to the general population's political incentive structures. Add to that the fact that most people are incredibly politically gullible and blind. Especially the 'proper adults' who consider themselves politically informed and intelligent. The 'very smart people'. The idiots.

Thanks to his most recent Night Court session, Riddle suspected Luna would say it is the same phenomenon of the "I'm not addicted!" addicts having no hope for seeing their own problems and fixing them. "What do you think I am, an IDIOT?" asks the idiot. "I'm NOT an idiot!" say those who have no hope of ever not being idiots, so long as they hold that idiotic attitude.

And it is easier to train a smart dog than a dumb dog. If you want the 'lessons' (read: propaganda) to stick, it is easier to train an intelligent mind than a dumb mind in that propaganda. The actually intelligent 'very smart idiots' are THE MOST hopeless. Just look to Lucius Malfoy. With the right incentive structures in place, you don't even need to do much training yourself, the intelligent human will train their self for you.

In many ways, Lucius Malfoy's ability to engage in intelligent skepticism is precisely the problem, for he uses that skepticism to find all possible ways of dismissing claims like 'the Dark Lord was a half-blood'. It is only thanks to Mr. Potter's efforts that his son became truly cynical enough to see a small amount of improvement.

The more intelligent addicts, as Luna said in a follow-up session, are better than anypony else at rationalizing their addictions to themselves. They quite literally think themselves to death.

Riddle suspected that this applied to politics, that there is something like an addiction to believing 'my side good, other side bad, we're never in the wrong.'

Intelligent minds will use their mental prowess to defend their false beliefs. Intelligent right-leaning minds will rationalize their false political beliefs, and so will intelligent left-leaning minds. And if anybody believes they don't hold false political beliefs, they are the most gullible idiots of all. They are Doomed.

Which is why Riddle always aspired to learn and understand political tactics. He did not aspire to hold beliefs, lest he be gullible. (Luna, at this point, would point out that, ironically enough, this approach was a contributing to factor to how he became more evil than just about anybody else in history.)

And clearly – if Starlight Glimmer's initial success in her village is anything to go by – the problem of political gullibility is still rampant in modern Equestria. To say nothing of wider Equus, to say nothing of Earth.

In Riddle's view, any political cynic who has even the slightest familiarity with the twentieth century of muggle or magical politics would have been able to predict both Glimmer's lies and Voldemort's lies. Lenin was not equal to the starving peasants beneath him, and Hitler did not qualify as 'Aryan'. Glimmer was not equal to the villagers beneath her, Voldemort did not qualify as pure-blood.

Not that the ponies have Hitler or Lenin or Voldemort to use as examples. Still, going by Celestia's words to him a few weeks ago, they definitely have some historical examples.

Even just a few knowledgeable cynics per village might be sufficient to undermine aspiring political would-be tyrants. Even one cynic per village might suffice. But Equestria lacks even that in the same way that it lacks competent fighters. Celestia confines dangerous subjects to her study. She censors them, deems them as 'dangerous', thus dooming history to repeat unless she personally gets involved. Or her apprentice gets involved.

On the one hoof, she has personally implemented something like the Interdict of Merlin, not only with regards to Dark Rituals, but with regards to political action, which perhaps was incredibly wise of her. On the other hoof, she has not done something to fix the widely-acknowledged problems with the Interdict of Merlin during her over a thousand years of rulership. Other than train the occasional apprentice, which is a widely-acknowledged stopgap solution to the Interdict of Merlin. It's woefully insufficient as a true solution, as his other iterated selves proved when they all killed her (with varying degrees of secrecy and openness) and took over her country.

Into this political landscape, Glimmer's plot naturally went un-predicted and un-suspected by anybody who wasn't Celestia's personal apprentice. It also probably didn't help that the political atmosphere of Ms. Glimmer's rise was generally left-leaning, as all of Equestria seems to be.

Voldemort's plot would've been less noticeable if Magical Britain had leaned generally right. But Magical Britain is a firm and complicated mix of left and right – the elites are not shy about the fact that they are elites, even if they don't judge sexual preferences. So it's more difficult to go unnoticed as an aspiring lord unless you are a firm and complicated mix of left and right yourself.

A mix like David Monroe had been.

Starlight Glimmer also kept her plot constrained to a single village. Starting small means she was less likely to encounter a truly competent counter voice. That was especially wise of Ms. Glimmer, as she was accumulating power and resources and experience early on. Her primary mistake was getting greedy and trying to induct Ms. Sparkle, rather than thinking to herself, 'We better find a way to have Ms. Sparkle politely leave as soon as possible, if she stays my whole plot will be blown.'

In Riddle's vision of what a truly competent country would look like – a vision that he dismissed long ago as stupid utopianism – the general population needs not only be able to physically and magically defend themselves on an individual basis, they need to defend themselves politically as well. They need to be intelligent. And wise. A general ethos of cynicism and skepticism towards self-serving claims that SEEM to represent your own personal pet beliefs could have stopped Ms. Glimmer's rise in her political infancy. But there is a great dearth of political cynics in the world. Equestria does not train its general population in that kind of awareness. No country even seems to try.

Instead, in order to unravel the plot, it took Celestia's personal protégé. It took someone as exceptional as Twilight Sparkle, who also leans left. Or at least, leans more left than right, as far as Riddle can tell. So it's clearly not a problem of left being blind to left and right being blind to right. It's a problem of standard idiots being standard idiots. It is a problem of normal minds – even normal intelligent minds – being unable to reach the apparently unreasonable standard of half-decent political cynicism.

(Silver Wing would argue that, with enough background knowledge of true facts, you don't even need the cynicism about motive, you can just see for yourself the individual leaps of logic that don't agree with reality. And of course, everybody believes their own mind is capable of doing exactly that. They believe their mind can see the factual errors, especially if their own mind worships rationality, or the appearance thereof. And perhaps their own mind is capable of seeing the wrong leaps of logic in the belief systems they already disagree with. But seeing the wrong leaps of logic in their OWN false beliefs? Hardly.

And on top of that, they believe that they're already sufficiently skeptical of their own beliefs, which makes it a million times worse. Like Lucius Malfoy, their minds are rationalizing their own false beliefs without their own conscious awareness, as a result of the incentive structures in their life, and the habits of thought that they've previously built in their minds.)

Getting back to the full present, standing behind his one-way brick wall, Riddle had not quite anticipated Starlight Glimmer's appearance before Luna. He had not quite anticipated her being genuinely ashamed or guilty or repentant enough to give such a session a shot. She hadn't even attended her own trial to try to defend herself. Then again, he hadn't attended either, he had just collected gossip after the fact. He had been busy with his own affairs.

But now his own affair was to listen and learn more, so he did.


"Do you know why you are here, Ms. Glimmer?" asked Luna's calm, cool voice.

"Because it's the job of the Day Princess to judge, and it's the job of the Night Princess to punish," said Ms. Glimmer's defeated voice.

Luna's eyebrows rose. "Mm… well, I would be very curious to know what books you have been reading, and you are actually right in this particular case, but in general that custom was disbanded… well, before my banishment. This case is special, as it had the eyes of the nation upon it. It still does, actually. For the record, we are currently being recorded, and this recording will be available to the public for scrutiny. But before we get to punishments, I was trying to ask if you know what particular sanctionable actions landed you here."

Ms. Glimmer's hesitant voice replied with, "Because of what I tried to do to Twilight Sparkle?"

"Mm… no, not quite. Could you try again?" There was no judgement or condemnation in the tone, in the question.

"…Because of what I did at Our- at the town?"

"Again, not quite. Third time's the charm?"

"Because I did something else that was wrong?"

Luna tilted her head. "Well… again, not quite. But before I say why I think you are here… you said 'something else that was wrong' just now. Does this mean you think that what you did at the town, and what you did to Twilight and her friends and the villagers, was wrong?"

Starlight nodded uncertainly.

"Could you tell me why you think it was wrong? Why was the town incident wrong, and why was the Twilight incident wrong?"

"Um…" Starlight said, still extremely uncertain. "I lied at the town. And to Twilight and her friends… and I tried to break up her friendship."

"Well… thank you for saying some of what you did. But that is not the same as saying why it was wrong. Let's start with the easier one. Why was it wrong when you lied?"

"Because… because everypony knows lying is wrong?"

Luna shook her head. "Societal consensus does not make something right or wrong. When I was born, the law considered it illogical that a stallion could 'rape' his wife."

Starlight Glimmer's eyes widened further and further at each example. "WHAT?! That's horrible!"

"History is horrible," said Luna. "But it is also our heritage." She didn't say anything after that, just let the sentence hang.

After it was clear that Starlight was expected to say something, Starlight said, "What are you getting at, Princess?"

"Well… put bluntly, a large portion of your perceptions of right and wrong seemed to be shaped by what 'everypony knows' to be wrong. Your morals seem to rely on outside pressure, not internal passion. Only once I stated something that would offend your modern sensibilities, did you object with seemingly genuine internal standards. And the reason I am saying all this is so that one day-" a Patronus Charm sprung into existence "-you will be capable of casting this, which I suspect will be difficult for you to learn under your current system of morals."

Starlight stared. "What is that?" she asked, her voice containing true wonder and awe.

"This is the Patronus Charm. It is a manifestation of a pony's happiness. It can only be cast using thoughts that are truly happy."

"Can you show me how?" asked Starlight Glimmer. "I'm a great mage! I'm sure I could learn it."

"I can show you the horn motions," said Luna calmly. "The stance, the words to speak. But I cannot make you happy. Evil thoughts, distracting thoughts, self-centered thoughts, thoughts that you think are happy but are actually hedonistic, addictive thoughts – these are all things that get in the way of the spell. This spell, more than anything else, shows whether you are truly happy. Cast this spell, Starlight Glimmer, and you will be released from your debts upon the instant."

Starlight Glimmer's eyes widened. "I… I'll be forgiven?"

"Well… I only said you would be released from your debts. I said nothing of forgiveness. It is not my place to remark on that. Twilight has already forgiven you, but you never did overmuch damage to her. The villagers from your town, however… they all were given the legal right to demand restitution for the many months of damage you did to them. And some of them have made demands. And some of those demands are quite reasonable. Some of those demands are financial."

Starlight looked like she was about to cry. "R-really?"

"Yes, really. You refused to attend your own Day Court trial, which was your right, just as it would have been your right to face your accusers if you chose to do that instead. But even if you can refuse to attend, you cannot refuse the consequences of that trial. And the punishment that will probably matter to you the most is more than financial. It is somewhat unusual, but… completely and utterly fair, by unanimous agreement of the nobles and the jurors, and if I had to guess, by the whole nation, as they read the newspaper articles, or witness the trial's recording."

Starlight looked incredibly uncomfortable at that. "The… the whole nation saw it?"

"Yes," said Luna.

There was a pause.

"W-what was my punishment?" asked Starlight.

"Well… suppose a pony makes a mistake that damages five houses. They might not have meant it, but they are certainly the responsible party. Tell me, Ms. Glimmer. Are they merely responsible for the damage done to one house, does their restitution end once they pay one of the home owners back, or are they responsible for paying back all the home owners for all of the damage?"

"Um… all?" asked Starlight, in a small voice.

"Can you keep that in mind as I speak the punishment that was decided upon by your peers, and witnessed by your country?"

Starlight now looked desperately afraid, but though she trembled, she nodded.

"Then your punishment is this: Sugar Belle did not have her cutie mark, a fundamental part of her being, for a full year, Ms. Glimmer. Party Favor for three quarters of a year. Night Glider for half. They would never wish that fate upon anypony… except the pony who caused them to suffer that fate, so that she might finally know what she did. They, and many others, are all asking quite reasonably that you live without a Cutie Mark for as long as they lived without one. And my sister declared that the years shall be calculated additively, just as a financial punishment would be."

Starlight Glimmer did cry then. For a long while.

And Riddle, who was watching Starlight, thought to himself: Hypocrite. And Riddle's third eye, which was watching himself, thought: A hypocrite like you, who inflicted death upon others and does not want to die yourself.

"P-p-please," begged Starlight Glimmer when she had regained the capacity to speak. "I-i-is th-there a-a-anything e-else I-I can do? P-please, Princess. A-anything b-but that."

"Other than learning the charm I just showed you? All you can do is make it up to them. Like Twilight and all but one of her friends, who did not demand restitution for their suffering at your hooves, any individual villager might choose to forgive the debt you owe them at any time."

"How?!" she begged.

"Well…" said Luna. "Step one is this. Ms. Sparkle?"

In a flash, Twilight Sparkle appeared in the room, to Starlight's startlement.

Sparkle's only word was "I'm sorry," and then the horn of perhaps the world's second or third most powerful Alicorn glowed, and despite Starlight Glimmer's expertise in magic, and in the field of Cutie Mark theft in particular, she was helpless to stop her Cutie Mark from lifting off her flank, from floating towards Twilight, and from being secured in a glass box at her side.

There was more crying, then. Shouts of "DON'T" and "STOP!" and "GIVE IT BACK!" But she wore a horn-suppressing ring, and could do nothing more than bang against the magical barrier stopping her from getting any closer.

"My fool," said Luna's Royal Canterlot Voice, which startled Starlight out of her onslaught. "Would you please come here for a moment?"

Riddle's eyebrows rose, and he apparated to her side, a feat of magic that might remind Starlight Glimmer that he is powerful and esoteric, for he possesses magic she knows not. Ms. Glimmer, upon seeing him, took a scared step back.

"You do not have to do this," said Luna, speaking to Riddle. "I could ask another, or do it myself. But would it at all interest you to hide this Cutie Mark in a place where nopony would ever find it? Where nopony would be able to retrieve it if they did find it?"

Starlight, at this point, began begging for her Cutie Mark back. Twilight Sparkle looked incredibly sad.

Luna was stoic as, still speaking to Riddle, she added, "Except yourself, of course."

Riddle considered the request. "That might interest me. Are you asking me to do this without payment?"

"You may request whatever you think is fair compensation," Luna offered. "I only ask that you not return it until Starlight has served her allotted sentence, or until she can cast the Patronus."

Riddle thought of what he might demand in return, but then he decided to have fun instead. He grinned evilly at Starlight, who took another step back. "No payment is necessary. It sounds like an enjoyable use of my time. Outer space is a vast place that I have begun to explore." He probably wouldn't store it in outer space, but it was a decent thing to say so long as he can casually prove to Ms. Glimmer that he can go there (if she ever asks), and so long as he does not actually store it there.

He took the container and disappeared with it, returning to his place behind the brick wall so he could observe the rest of the interaction.

Starlight Glimmer was no longer begging, she was bawling like a baby. The hopelessness of the situation had set in. Words would not get her out of this one, as words had gotten her out of so many other things in her life. This died down to sniffling after a good, long while.

"Step two, Ms. Glimmer," said Luna, "now that I have arranged for your rights to be violated – for all that it was fair and just restitution for your actions of violating the rights of others – step two is to give you the following choice. Personally, I suspect I am no longer a pony whom you would trust to help you with your mental state. So step two is possibly for you to leave my presence and never return, if that is what you want to do."

"I-I-I'd n-never get m-my C-c-cutie M-mark b-back if I l-l-left," said her sniffling and no-longer-sonorous voice. It was a quite noticeable different from before. Less alive. Less vibrant.

"I can arrange for that to be done outside my presence," said Luna. "If you wait out your sentence, you will get your Cutie Mark back."

What if I decide not to return it? Riddle thought curiously to himself, and his mind produced a curious answer in return: Perhaps Ms. Sparkle can return it at any time, wherever it lies. Perhaps she or Ms. Glimmer can FIND it wherever it lies.

He resolved not to hide it in or near any of his current hideouts, fallback or otherwise.

"I c-c-can l-l-leave?" asked Ms. Glimmer's voice. "I'm… n-not g-going to j-j-jail?"

Luna shook her head. The door opened behind her.

She looked at it. She looked to Luna. "H-how l-l-long is m-my s-s-sentence?"

"My sister decided that if you want to know the answer to that question, you can watch the trial yourself, or you can do the math yourself. Or you could always stop a random pony on the street and ask them. Assuming they are willing to talk with you."

Ms. Glimmer seemed to take an unconscious step away from the open door. "Should… sh-should I g-g-go? Am I to leave?"

Luna shrugged. "Only if you want to."

Ms. Glimmer looked at the open door again. "I… I don't want to leave."

Luna nodded. "You do have the option to stay. But there would be certain conditions."

Ms. Glimmer looked to Luna. "W-what conditions?"

"My fool considers me to be the best dark-lord redeemer in the country, and perhaps the whole universe. He considers you to be a dark-lord wannabe-" Riddle did not think 'how did she know?' to himself, for Luna knew him fairly well by this point "-and I find myself seeing you in a similar light as I now see my past self, as I see Nightmare Moon. I see you as a mare who has made many mistakes, and who is having trouble seeing even a tiny fraction of those mistakes for herself. If you wish to leave and wait out your full sentence, you may. If you wish to stay and suffer the painful process of mental healing, perhaps with the hope of a reduced sentence and a new charm under your belt, you may. From this point forward, your actions are up to you."

PreviousChapters Next