• Published 28th Mar 2021
  • 5,920 Views, 1,783 Comments

Harry Potter and the Prancing of Ponies - The Guy Who Writes



Dumbledore doesn't reverse the trap he laid on the Mirror in time. The Mirror traps Harry and Voldemort outside of Time... and inside the MLP universe. MLPxHPMoR Crossover.

  • ...
34
 1,783
 5,920

PreviousChapters Next
Rehabilitation 11.1: Master Fool

"Sister," said Luna at breakfast later that morning, after their long conversation had finally come to an end. "My fool helped me remember something that slipped my mind for the longest time. Do you know what happened to my old master? I think I'd like to visit his resting place."

Celestia looked at her sister in some surprise. "It is the same as it has always been. He is still there, resting the days away as always."

"He… he is still alive?"

"I believe so," said Celestia. "He was still alive as of ten years ago. I suspect he is ageless like us."

Luna set out to meet him the very next night, since she had no petitions. Being scheduled to work that night, Riddle accompanied her.


For the first time in decades, Riddle allowed himself to be magically transported by another being. He knew neither where they had gone, nor how far. The Floo System was the only time, in the past, that he hinged his traveling safety upon the competence of other wizards, and he silently realized that he has come to trust Luna more than he trusted Bellatrix Black.

The closest he came to speaking his thoughts aloud was to ask, "How far was that teleportation?"

"Far enough that we are in dragon territory," Luna replied in a cautioning tone. "And dragons are very territorial. Their territory is their property, after all – carved out by where they hunt and what they can defend. Theoretically the two of us could have flown here, but two powerful ponies flying over dragon land uninvited might be taken poorly."

"If dragons are so territorial, I'm surprised they even allow ponies in their lands," said Riddle as they walked towards a destination unknown to him.

"To visit and flyover," said Luna. "Just like we allow them in our lands to visit and flyover. Not all dragons have taken this understanding to heart, but most have."

"And yet your master lives here," Riddle observed. "A pony achieved the territorial respect of dragons?" He could have done the same, if he cared to, but...

"My master easily achieved draconic respect," Luna said with a smile. "But whoever said he was a pony?"

They walked in silence for a while.

Without warning, a booming voice rumbled from all around them. Riddle could tell it was magically amplified. "What is the beauty of life?"

"Honesty, my master," said Luna automatically, her own voice amplified in the royal Canterlot voice.

"Honesty?" repeated the voice, sounding confused, and no longer so loud. "I haven't heard that answer for… and I've not let anyone call me a master since…"

The voice trailed off into silence.

By magic utterly undetectable to Riddle, the mouth of a massive cave appeared before them, attached to an even bigger mountain that hadn't been there before.

"Selena?" asked a normal, if ancient voice. "That you?"

Luna began walking forward without hesitation.

Riddle didn't follow. "Should I stay outside?"

Luna looked back. "Don't worry. He knows you are here, and that's an invitation if I have ever seen one. Do you wish to stay outside?"

Riddle took a moment to consider. Once he'd inferred 'dragon', his mind had jettisoned 'powerful spellcaster' from the threat evaluation. And Luna's morality mentor would not be a dangerous entity, he had reasoned earlier. Now that new information is forcing him to recalibrate…

Riddle forced himself to walk forward anyway. If there's a magically powerful dark horse on this planet, it's in his interest to know.

Luna led the way, but they didn't walk far. The cave wasn't very deep, and the creature within took up much of the existing space. Big, pale, and bespectacled, the ancient dragon was practically made of wrinkles – wrinkles that were fully visible because, if once the dragon had scales, it no longer does.

Riddle wasn't overly familiar with Equestrian dragon anatomy, but even ignoring the obvious dearth of dragonhide, he thought dragons were supposed to have a protruding spine extending from their head, down their back, to the tip of their tail. There were no visible spines on this creature.

Blue eyes focused on Riddle for a moment, an intense stare of examination. Then the orbs looked to Luna and softened significantly.

"Selena!" exclaimed the dragon. "Wonderful to see you again." Luna walked forward and pressed her side to the massive creature, a hug of some kind. "I was half afraid I never would, after I heard," he said, his tail wrapping around her.

After a brief 'moment', Luna stepped well back so that she could actually address him face-to-face. "As was I," said Luna. "But the Nightmare is over."

"Good, good," the ancient dragon nodded sagely. "And what did you learn?"

"To speak to my sister immediately," Luna said. "Before resentment can be allowed to build."

"What else?"

"To respect that ponies are self-interested, and that if my court has a high rate of failure, it is only natural for ponies to flock to my sister's. Especially when they do not know what to expect from mine, given that I kept them private."

The dragon stroked its long, thin beard. "Anything else?"

"To remember to speak with you, of course, though that thought might have been sabotaged from my mind. Least importantly, I have learned to not always take seriously every voice in my head. Because sometimes it is not a true inner-voice. Sometimes it's a servant of Sombra that some even greater fool than myself must come along and defeat."

The dragon had been nodding along until that last point. "He the fool?" he asked with a flick of his snout in Riddle's direction.

"The royal fool," Riddle acknowledged.

"How much of one?" the dragon asked Luna.

"I am teaching him everything I know."

"Ah, that's just perfect!" said the dragon with a smile. "The master fool, the apprentice fool, and the royal fool. Glad hear it. You married? Got kids?"

Riddle was unsure if it meant to each other, or in general, but the question had been directed at him. "No," he replied to both interpretations.

"Do ya plan to?"

"No."

The dragon sighed. "Well I guess you'll stay a fool then, just like me. Still looking, Selena?"

"Patiently, as always."

"A luxury most can't afford," said the dragon. "But if you're not doomed to being forever alone, I guess one of three's not bad."

"You still haven't found a mate?" asked Luna.

The great beast sighed. "I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm just not attracted. Plain and simple."

"Have you tried a love potion?" Riddle suggested.

There was a brief huff of surprised laughter. "I think the term you're looking for is libido potion, lad. And no, I haven't. And no, I won't. Dragons my size are resistant to most potions anyway, unless you brew a hundred times the quantity, and even if I wasn't immune, I'm not looking for a rut, and I'm not looking to lie to myself with magic. I'm looking for a partner, and that means a quality mind and heart, and even though every dragoness who ever lived tries their luck at winning mine, they never have." He gave a massive sigh. "I'm just not cut out for them. Or they aren't cut out for me. Not even after so many generations of improvement."

Riddle's gaze skeptically traced the wrinkled behemoth. "Every dragoness who ever lived?"

"And some of the males, too, now that you mention it," said the dragon thoughtfully. "Not their fault, really. Figured it out after a while. I always wondered why the scales thing didn't disgust 'em outright, but I'm like an overload on their mating senses. The bigger, the older, the stronger, the better, at least for dragons, and I'm all three. If I'm scaleless, that's even more proof. Personality just doesn't factor. On either side of a typical dragon romance. So they don't try to develop their personalities, and that's just a darn shame because personality is the only factor to me."

Riddle focused on one particular part of that answer, wondering if it was true, or…

"My fool is now skeptical that you are the biggest and strongest dragon alive," Luna remarked.

He shot her a glare. "I'm not that predictable."

"Defensive lie," said former Honesty. "Remember, my fool, when you are in a state of nature, your mindset is utterly predictable."

"Scared, is he?" asked the dragon. "Say, Selena. Mind if I talk with him alone for a bit, dragon to stallion? I promise we'll catch up in a bit."

She blinked. "I… suppose?" she agreed. "How long do you need?"

"Don't know," said the dragon, looking at the stallion. "Could be minutes, could be hours. You know how it can go."

She nodded "I do. Can you promise not to vaporize him?"

"No promises," said Riddle at once.

The dragon laughed. "Sensitive to dominance, eh? I promise to respect his free will so long as he respects mine," the dragon said, as if reciting a promise as ancient as he was. He looked at Riddle. "You know what that means?"

"Yes," said Riddle at the same time Luna said "I hope," on her way out

And then there were two.

"So," said the dragon, bringing a claw to its spectacles. "How long ya been on Equus?"

Riddle blinked. "You are asking for my age?"

"Nope," said the dragon. "Ever heard of a human?"

There was a long pause.

Time seemed to slow to a crawl.

"Who's asking?" Riddle eventually asked.

He had the sudden and sinking suspicion that…

"Well, I guess it's rude to ask and not admit," said the dragon. "A former human is asking. So, were ya one?"

…that the Mirror…

"I'll take that as a 'yes'," the dragon said into the silence.

…the Mirror…

"Please don't tell me that everyone and everything who's ever been trapped has ended up here."

The number of horrors sealed by that method numbered in the-

"Oh, Time beyond no!"

Riddle took a breath as time seemed to resume again. "Thank Merlin for that," he muttered.

Now it was the dragon who paused. "Well…" said the beast. "Don't thank me yet. And how'd you know my name, anyway? I never told anyone… at least, I don't think I did… did I ever tell Selena…?"

And if ever there had been a time in Riddle's life where he might have fainted for non-magical reasons, that would have been it.

"A moment, please," said Riddle, taking a will of Occlumency to center himself. "History records your bluntness," he said eventually. "But it's another thing to experience it. Assuming you're not lying about your name, and assuming you're really that Merlin."

If he was, it explained the mountain, the magic, and the power. And the dragon equivalent to pony ascension, if Celestia's guess was right.

"Hrmm… history, eh?" The dragon who claimed to have the name of Merlin wore an incredibly thoughtful look. "Guess that means my Line hasn't broken yet. Or has it?"

A thought occurred to Riddle. And that thought was to be equally blunt in return. And to put mere words to the test.

He withdrew a rod of dark stone from his robes. "Your Line will only break if I can't learn the Patronus Charm," he answered the question.

This time it was the dragon's turn to be surprised. "Well I'll be," said the creature, adjusting its spectacles again. The line flew from his own magical grip to the claws of the dragon against his wishes. The dragon tapped it a few times, then looked up. "Why do you have my Line if you're not my heir or their regent?"

That was the final proof he needed.

"That would be the fault of my twelve-year-old student," said Riddle. "The current inheritor."

"Twelve?" asked Merlin indignantly.

"Who rudely left me here after finding a way to escape. The method did not allow the accompaniment of physical objects, no matter how ancient or important."

Merlin stared in shock for a few seconds. "Did he now?" the dragon eventually inquired. He floated his Line back to Riddle. "If that's true, maybe a twelve-year-old does deserve it. Guess you don't know how he did that if you're still here. 'Cause this dragon would like to know the answer to that millennium-old mystery. Or how she did it, come to think."

"He's male," said Riddle. "And I suspect I do know how he escaped. But I'm not sure I should say it aloud, even to you."

"Good, good," said the dragon, nodding its head.

"Why do you want to know? Do you seek escape yourself, or are you just curious?"

"Pure curiosity," said Merlin. "Won't use the method even if I could. That's a promise and an oath. I tried to figure it out on and off for a long time, but now I won't go back even if I know how."

"Why not?"

"Finally realized the potential consequences, and they're not good. But I'm still curious about the solution. I've got no motivation to solve it, I've given up on the problem. I just want to see if my heir really is worthy of my line. I want to see if you're being honest that a twelve-year-old figured it out when this millennia-old sack of stubbornness didn't."

Riddle considered the circumstances for a while, then decided to accept that.

"Strictly speaking, he's thirteen if you factor… never mind. Are you familiar with the theory that phoenixes came from the mirror?"

"Familiar?" laughed Merlin. "Course I'm familiar. I witnessed it! With my familiar!"

"Ah," said Riddle, briefly reminding himself whom he was addressing. "So I assume you've already tried to phoenix travel back in your own attempts?"

"Yes," said Merlin. "I'm glad I never could."

"Did you fail because your phoenix didn't let you attempt the method?"

"Yes and no," said Merlin. "Depending on the century. She wouldn't let me at first, and then she gave in when I found a good reason, but it didn't work anyway. And now that I know the much better reason to stay, I'm not sure if she'd let me go back, and I haven't asked her to try to take me again anyway."

Riddle nodded in sympathy. "In that case, I may as well ask. Do you know what the Astral Plane is?"

"Yep."

"Can you reach it?"

"'Course."

"Did you ever try to phoenix travel to Earth with the Astral Plane as your starting point?"

The subtle movements of Merlin came to a stark stop. Even his beard seemed frozen in place. "I wish you hadn't told me that."

Once upon a time, his response would have been different. Forceful. Manipulative. Now…

"Go on," said Riddle.

Now he allows others to speak. Sometimes. If he respects them.

A phoenix appeared on the dragon's shoulder and gave an inquisitive croon.

"Because now I've got to choose to stay," sighed the dragon. He turned to look at his phoenix. "Never mind, Archimedes." The bird vanished and did not take the dragon with it. Merlin spoke in a tone that might have been harsh, or might have been grumpy. "Modern wizards don't know a damn thing about secrecy, do they?"

"Oh, I do." Riddle gestured around himself. "I detected your privacy spells, and I know that you, of all wizards, would not threaten the world with anything I tell you. And you did ask. And you did promise." And Riddle can still use Avada Kedavra in self-defense if Merlin made that necessary, though he highly doubted-

"You have too much faith, kid," said the only creature in the world that Riddle would allow to get away with calling him that. "I'm as human as you are. Were. Whatever. I've got temptations too. A lonely heart is a slow killer. I got a great body for it, but I can only sleep so many days away."

Riddle deliberately took a few seconds to trace the massive frame in front of him with his eyes. "Would you even be able to fix that problem by returning to Earth?"

"No." The great beast sighed. "But I can be lonely for home, too, you know."

"Trust me, you wouldn't recognize it. Muggles have become quite the worldwide phenomenon."

The dragon accepted this with a nod. "So," said the dragon, seeming more… alive than it had been ten minutes ago. "Let's talk. Former human to former human."

"Former human?" asked Riddle with amusement in his voice. He performed his animagus transformation. "Why not human to human?"

Merlin's eyes were wide again. Then Merlin asked something that would have taken careful and conscious effort to attempt to translate, so Riddle turned back to a pony.

"Pardon?"

"How did you do that?"

"Animagus transfiguration."

"Ani-what now?"

Riddle tilted his head. "Ah, yes. I believe Morgana Le Fay was the first animagus in recorded history." Riddle gave an ironic smile. "I presume she never taught it to you. Did you at least know she could become an animal?"

Merlin stroked his long beard. "Had no idea. But now that I think about it… was she a black cat, by any chance?"

"She was."

"Oh, that witch!" Merlin sounded oddly impressed and angry at the same time. "So that's how she…" he trailed off. "Ah, never mind." His eyes refocused on the pony in front of him. "Wizards can become animals if they know how, and you figured out how to reverse it? That the short of it?"

Riddle shrugged his pony shoulders. "Not quite. I simply used the process to become the animal known as human."

The dragon laughed. "Beautiful," he remarked. "Can you share the details, or should ya not?"

"I can, and the information isn't dangerous. It can be passed down by quill and parchment, at least. In my own current case, I believe my base species is that of a thestral, with my human form as the secondary, but it doesn't seem to matter as I'm immune to the animagus counter-curse in both forms, which leads me to suspect that I've come across something more unique than the standard procedure. And unfortunately, I can't guarantee you'll get your old body back if you undergo the same process. Not unless you're willing to be the test subject of a new potion."

"Heck no."

Riddle shrugged. "There you have it. The process begins with a potion that you'd have to make yourself. Unless you happen to have a preserved blood sample from your old human body after all this time, you'd need to settle for the genetic code of a different human, if you do the process at all."

Merlin shook his head. "I'll think about it. But thanks for telling me anyway. You're a good lad."

Riddle chuckled. "I'm really not. Of all the ways I've treated people in my life, this is likely in the top three. Your name is revered above all others in wizarding history. Muggles say 'thank god'. Wizards say 'thank Merlin'."

"Well that's just a wonderful thing to add to my over-inflated ego, isn't it?" The dragon wore a wide, genuine smile. "Good to finally confirm that thinking five-hundred years ahead is the right time frame to be remembered. But enough about what I want to hear. What are you here for? Conversation?"

"I would enjoy that."

"Got anything on your mind?"

Obviously, Riddle thought but did not say. "Yes. This place. This planet. The ponies. Equus. You know as well as I that its status as true reality is in doubt. Do you have an explanation for it all?"

The dragon began stroking its beard again. "I do. You the kind that wants to be told the answer, or figure it for yourself?"

"I'm the kind that figures it out when I have to," said Riddle. "Or when there's time for leisure and mental exercise. I don't like being told the answer when I could have seen it for myself. But I also dislike making a game of it when I never would have seen the answer myself, even after a thousand years."

"Good enough. How about I give hints. Come back later for more if ya don't get it?"

"That is the standard teaching method," Riddle acknowledged.

Merlin asked a few questions to get an understanding of what Riddle already knew about the Mirror's origins, and then… gave no hints at all. "You've got enough there to work it out," said Merlin. "Anything else on your mind?"

Riddle's mind took a moment to switch from 'problem solving' to 'curiosity'. "How are you here? I thought you sacrificed yourself to impose the Interdict."

"That I did," said Merlin, nodding again. "Used the Mirror to do that bit of universal magic. Wasn't expecting to end up here afterwards. I think the Mirror might have a will of its own, you know. It decided to interpret my sacrifice of my life and my magic and my Time as 'my life and magic and time on Earth', to impose that rule on Earth. Or that's my guess anyway, otherwise the rule would exist here too, and it doesn't. I've had to do things the right way, since I've actually got an eternity to do it now. Damn prophecies always telling me what for," he grumbled, as if to himself. "Anything else ya wanted to know?"

"Do you take on apprentices? Or fellowships?"

"Sure do," said the dragon. "Want to be one?"

"Absolutely."

"Great! But to be honest, you might be better off finding a different teacher. I'm just a big dummy who doesn't live by his own advice anymore. Go, go. Get married, says the grumpy old dragon. Have kids. You'll be happy! Unlike me."

"Unlike you?"

"Never could cast the Patronus Charm after my wife died and I left my daughter behind back on Earth," Merlin admitted. He leaned in to whisper. "I'd prefer if ya didn't tell Selena that part. She doesn't know that mourning was a big reason for my romantic reluctance, not just quality."

"I won't speak of it without your leave," Riddle promised. "But now would be a fine time for you to tell her yourself. I told her of my own humanity. Showed her, rather."

Merlin leaned back again. "I'll think about it. Anyway, what were we talkin' about? Oh, right. Working out how to do wizard spells in this body didn't help with that one. Er, the Patronus, I mean. And I'm finally in the company of someone who knows what that means."

"All too well," Riddle nodded, then sighed. "Though you might simply be suffering from my student's problem. In his words, it was not an absence of light that halted his magic, but a failure of thought. He was smart enough to see a certain logical problem with the Patronus, but not smart enough to see the solution. At least at first. He did see it less than thirty minutes after his initial failure. I'm sure Luna will get around to teaching you his improved version, as she is trying to teach me. I'd be surprised if you of all wizards could not learn."

"Improved version?" asked Merlin. "Who is this twelve-year-old? You're not pulling my leg about his age, are you? Pretty sure I would have caught the lie if you were, but…"

Riddle shrugged. "He was eleven at the time he figured it out. It takes the shape of a human being. Or a pony. Or dragon for you, I suppose." He tilted his head. "I wonder if you can figure it out, just from that. I certainly would not be able to."

"Mmm… not off the top of my head. How long did it take you to understand?"

"If I truly understood, I would be capable of casting it. As I said, you and Luna can discuss it. It is not my realm of expertise. And when I asked to be your apprentice, I was referring to…" Riddle waved his hoof at the surrounding cave. "Magic. Not life advice."

"Hm…" The dragon peered at him through likely-enchanted spectacles. "How old are ya?" he asked. "Don't have to give an exact age, a range is fine."

"Late sixties."

The dragon gave a low whistle. "Young, for all that power. You're much farther along than I was at that age. I don't think you're in need of magical help, lad. Earlier you said you're not good. And I believe you. So I'll tell you what. If you become good, we can discuss magic all day long. Show me your Patronus and we'll start right away. 'Till then, I teach philosophy only. Deal?"

Riddle blinked. "Philosophy?"

"'Course," said the dragon. "Logic, reason, evidence, ethics. All that good stuff. I'll teach you the same as I taught Selena. Or I can help you think through a tough spot every now and then, like I do for Tia."

"You've advised Celestia as well?"

The dragon shrugged. "She visits every few decades or so. Maybe more often, maybe less; the years started blurring together centuries ago. She encounters a tough new scenario, I give her my thoughts, and she changes Equestria from there. Although last time was a bit different. There was an abandoned egg left on my cavestep, so I asked her to take care of it, and she took it who-knows-where. Next time I see her I'll ask how it turned out."

That explanation raised a few probabilities, Riddle realized. "Were you responsible for her ban on ritual magic?"

The dragon blinked. "I don't think so. She banned the whole field? Can't say I blame her, but…"

"But a few rituals can be used ethically," said Riddle. "To great societal benefit. As I've recently convinced her."

"But that, yeah," the dragon nodded reluctantly. "Not to mention bad choices are yours to make, so long as you own them. If you want to drink, fine. Do drugs, fine. Use up your blood for Fiendfyre... so long as you can control it and you don't use it to destroy anybody or anything that's not yours, fine. I don't recommend it, but free will means being able to do things others don't recommend so long as it's not violating their free wills. So if Celestia unbanned rituals, I don't blame her for that either. I'm sure she'll keep a watchful eye on the ponies that push the new laws to their limits."

"Like me?"

"Wasn't gonna say it out loud, but yes."

"So… philosophy…" Riddle said slowly, as if repeating the word would help him understand.

"The oldest and noblest field of study," Merlin spoke sagely. "Thoroughly corrupted ever since Socrates was killed. On earth, anyway. Terrible shame, that."

"Not that I disagree, but corrupted how?"

"To serve the powerful," said Merlin, "instead of the people. I've only been able to go from memory, but I'm fairly certain of that. Tell me, kid, can you think of a single prominent philosopher who stepped on the toes of the politically powerful, or the social elite, or the financially successful, and lived to tell the tale?"

Unfortunately, Riddle's recent readings from the human world have more often consisted of... "I can think of a few scientists who did."

"Natural philosophers?" Merlin asked with keen interest, as if repeating what Riddle had just said. "Hm… I can see that. You a natural philosopher yourself?"

In that moment Riddle understood that 'natural philosophy' must be an archaic way of saying 'science', and in the same moment he saw why – 'philosophy as applied to nature' is indeed a phrase that comes close to describing science.

"I'm still an apprentice of science," Riddle said honestly. "My student is the expert in that field."

"Jeeze, your student this, your student that. Sorry to be annoying, but I really am starting to think you're lying to me."

"Understandable," Riddle allowed. "I would not have taken him as my student if he was not exceptional in his own right."

Merlin nodded in understanding. "So if he's the natural philosophy expert, what're you the expert at? Magic plain and simple?"

"Power," said Riddle at once. "War. Military. Strategy. Cunning. Caution. Deception. And yes, magic."

Merlin adjusted his spectacles, staring intently. "And how'd you get your experience? You don't become an expert from reading books."

"Indeed you don't. I was a wandering battle mage in my youth. In my middle age I was a war general for ten years. And not the kind that sits on the back lines."

"What was the cause?"

"The world's salvation. Beyond that, I'd rather not discuss the details."

Merlin sighed. "So I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess your childhood wasn't pleasant? Violent parents maybe?"

"Close enough."

"Selena talking to you about it?"

"In depth."

"Good, good." Merlin was stroking his beard again. "Well then, I'll leave her to it. And speaking of Selena, I've up and left her to dry, haven't I? Mind if we break for now and start your lessons later?"

"I don't mind," said Riddle. "I'll see what pony philosophy has to offer before I return."

"Great!" said Merlin, clapping his scale-less hands together once. "Tia hasn’t let her scholars drop the ball too much. Stop by whenever you've got a big question to ask, and we'll go from there."

Riddle nodded, then turned around to leave. He hesitated on his way out. "Luna has encouraged honesty within me," he said. "And if I'm being honest, I just realized that I don't feel motivated to add this complication to my life." He turned around to face Merlin again. "Do you believe your lessons on philosophy will help me reach the Patronus Charm faster than I otherwise would?"

"Hmm…" rumbled the ancient dragon. "I like to believe they'll help, but it's hard to make guarantees. The way I see it, the only way my lessons could hurt is if you prioritized me over Selena. If you're not motivated, that's fine. Just keep my offer in mind, and if you ever have a big question that you'd like an extra ear to hear, feel free to stop by. Don't force yourself to come."

"Will I have to give a passphrase if I do?"

The dragon shrugged. "You don't have to. You can answer my question however ya feel like. It's just a little thing I got goin' to keep myself amused… something the matter?"

Riddle sighed. He had allowed his negativity to show on his face, and it seems that Merlin, like Luna, prefers to care. "I am still deeply disappointed," he said honestly. "This is the second time in my life that my request for apprenticeship under the world's most knowledgeable mage has been denied. My mind is not able to ignore that connection."

The dragon gave a wide smile. "Ah, but you will be learning something magical."

"I will?"

Merlin nodded sagely. "It took me as long as you've been alive to work out the basics myself, and I hope it won't take you a tenth as long." The dragon drew himself up importantly, then spoke as if imparting the world's deepest wisdom. "The magic you'll be learning, from Selena more than me, is the magic of morality."


Riddle left the cave with less respect for his former-favourite historical wizard. Like the old adage, the fastest way to get over your idols is to get to know them. He wondered if Salazar Slytherin would similarly disappoint him, if they ever somehow met.

PreviousChapters Next