• Published 28th Mar 2021
  • 5,921 Views, 1,784 Comments

Harry Potter and the Prancing of Ponies - The Guy Who Writes



Dumbledore doesn't reverse the trap he laid on the Mirror in time. The Mirror traps Harry and Voldemort outside of Time... and inside the MLP universe. MLPxHPMoR Crossover.

  • ...
34
 1,784
 5,921

PreviousChapters Next
Rehabilitation Part 10.3: Treating Morality as a Relationship

Author's Note:

A/N: The next chapter of rehab was a bit boring, so I divvied it up into digestible chunks and scattered it between present-day chapters in a predictable back-and-forth pattern.

No action, lots of talking. Consider it the broccoli of rehabilitation. The dry, raw, unseasoned broccoli. No ranch. It might be tedious to consume, but it's healthy. Probably.

Over the course of the night, Luna did little dream walking.

Riddle did little reading.

They spoke of his improvement, with a good deal of new information at Luna's disposal, and fewer topics forbidden. Luna finally learning about the phoenix voice within him wasn't as annoying as he had predicted, for instance.

"No?" Riddle echoed her answer.

"No," she repeated firmly. "It is a restriction on your free will. It can hardly be called 'virtue' if you are forced to be good."

He furrowed his brows. "What does virtue matter? My goal is happiness, not virtue."

She regarded him for a moment. "Hm… let me put it this way. If you say 'my goal is to become healthier,' and I say 'you must learn nutrition and exercise', then you say 'but my goal is health, not nutrition or exercise'… you see? If the goal is good health, nutrition and exercise are how you reach it. 'Tis the same with happiness and virtue. The goal is happiness, virtue is how you get there."

Riddle blinked a few times. He'd never heard that cliché before… though if he has not heard it, that would mean it is not cliché. In any case, it seems like an important issue to address if true. 'If true' being the operative phrase.

Does virtue actually beget happiness? Does that claim truly reflect reality?

In reality, happiness can be measured objectively by the brightness of one's Patronus charm (or the existence of it at all), and in true life (beyond this pony realm), The-Boy-Who-Lived and Albus Dumbledore have the brightest Patronuses known to him. They are also obviously above average in what a normal person would call 'virtue'. Moody, Bones, a number of Aurors, and every member of the Order also had corporeal Patronuses, and they were likewise somewhat 'virtuous' when compared to the rest of the population. That is the evidence he has seen.

The primary counter-evidence is the 'virtuous' Ms. Granger's lack of Patronus, though Mr. Potter has already given her a plausible reason not to have one – the same reason Godric Gryffindor didn't, the same reason Mr. Potter himself struggled at first.

So Riddle didn't argue the point. He will assume 'virtue is how you reach happiness' as potentially true for now, meaning his next step should be…

"Define 'virtue'."

Luna smiled. "One way to define something is through antonym. Do you know the opposite of virtue?"

"I don't typically use this vernacular." He doesn't speak 'moralist'.

"I think the field troubles you more than the vocabulary."

"I dislike the language and the field."

"Dislike is not quite the same thing as ineptitude," she remarked. "I apologize if this is annoying. I am just trying to be sure of something. Here, let me put it to the test. What is your field of greatest competence?"

"Power," he said at once.

Her expression dimmed slightly, but she nodded. "One way to define something is through antonym. The opposite of 'virtue' is 'vice', and the opposite of 'goodness' is 'sin'. With me so far?"

"Nothing seems to have been lost in translation," he granted. "So far."

"Ah, yes. Let us hope that continues to be the case. Now, please answer the following question to the best of your ability: If you are trying to reach a state of great power, what is a cardinal sin in that pursuit?"

"Giving up power you have already acquired," he answered at once. It was rule 3.

"See?" she said. "You do speak the language. You understood 'sin' in that context, and you would likely understand 'virtue' as well. You simply have not applied it to morality."

"Even still," he allowed. "I would like your definition of 'virtue'."

"Of course. In the context of morality, 'virtues' are those traits which cannot be consistently upheld by those who are evil – honesty, courage, loyalty, generosity, kindness, consideration, to name a few. As applied to relationships, to be 'virtuous' is to be considerate of others, but also considerate to your own needs. To be 'virtuous' is to not exploit others, and to not allow yourself to be exploited. To be 'virtuous' is to have relationships that are healthy to you and healthy to others… but I see that this is not working."

She's right. It wasn't.

She took a moment to think. "Very well, let us go back to neutral definitions. And with antonym, since I think you will understand that better. When you apply the language to fields other than morality, an act of 'sin' is to mess up so badly that you are going away from where you should be going. To sin is to miss your mark, in other words. 'Vices' are the personality traits that cause you to 'sin' on a regular basis. Thus 'virtues' are the traits that get you closer to your goal, to regularly hit your mark. That is how to think of those terms when divorced from morality."

He slowly nodded. Using that terminology, his list of 37 rules could be called 'virtues' for a Dark Lord to follow in the competent pursuit of power. Virtues for 'evil', he thought with an internal, ironic smile.

"Now that we've established you do know the language," Luna continued, "These are my questions for you: Toward what goal does 'virtue' drive a pony? Alternatively, from what goal does 'vice' spurn? More simply, what is the goal of morality? The answer to all three is the same."

It seemed obvious enough. He just, as Mr. Potter would put it, pattern matched the cliché. "The goal of morality is to be a good pony, yes? To make the world a better place, to save the lives of others, to not be evil…"

"Not quite," said Luna gently. "In a sense, you have just provided synonyms to virtue, and rephrasing a trait is not quite the same thing as stating its goal. On the individual level, the goal of morality, the motivation, the reason for pursuing it, is not to be a good pony. The goal is not to save lives. The goal is not to help others. Those may be goals of morality on a societal level, when morality becomes ethics and law. Those may be manifestations and effects of morality. Those may be indicators of the virtuous. But when it comes to the individual, when it comes to why you should pursue it, the goal of morality is your goal. The goal is happiness. I said it is the path to happiness, did I not? Happiness is the destination at the end of Virtue Lane."

"Hm… I had not been expecting that." And if true, that would make it important to discuss. "In that case, why have you focused so little on 'virtue' thus far?" he asked. "You seem much more interested in my 'bad' habits."

She considered it. "To some extent, that is true. In your case the only virtue I have truly tried to hammer home thus far has been honesty. I may be biased, but even Tia agrees it is the most important virtue. Dishonesty gets in the way of lasting happiness like no other vice can. As for your other habits, evil stunts virtue, it blocks the growth of virtue, thus it must be solved first."

"And the reason you have not focused much on my relationships, despite how important you say they are?"

"I realized I was pushing things along too quickly by encouraging you to form friendships. You still have a ways to go first."

"But relationships are still essential to happiness?" he pressed.

That much, at least, he accepted long ago. Every successful Patronus thought he knows about involves relationships in some way or another.

"Of course," Luna smiled. "The goal is happiness, achieved by good relationships, achieved by virtue. There is no happiness without companionship. There is no joy without friendship, there is no euphoria without love. Or drugs, I suppose, and perhaps schadenfreude, but those don't last, and they cannot fuel a Patronus."

Riddle gave a single chuckle at that remark. If only they could, he might have revised his personal 'no drugs' policy for a time. But drugs are like false memories – an outside influence, disregarded by Patronus attempts, and the pleasure felt at destroying enemies is not the right kind of happiness.

"It is most accurate to say," Luna summarized, "that 'virtue' is the habit that allows you to form positive bonds with others, and those bonds bring happiness. Morality alone is necessary but not sufficient for happiness. Relationships are necessary but not sufficient. You must integrate both to achieve a good friendship, and then you will be happy."

"Good is just a label," he remarked. "Even the worst beings call themselves 'good'."

"Then I shall define it to exclude that," she declared. "A good relationship is mutually beneficial. Physically, materially, and mentally. Neither side regrets the bond and both sides are better off. A bad relationship is everything else. One pony exploiting another, for instance."

"How is that quantified?"

"Not easily," she sighed. "A great deal of subjectivity is often involved, I'm afraid, especially when a competent manipulator is involved. To understand one's own feelings is a skill more akin to art than math, like a litterateur deriving meaning from a deep and resonating story. That's why true virtue is a mindset, a guideline, not a strict set of rules to follow."

"Most moralists I've met have waxed endlessly about standards and rules," he pointed out. "Not that I agree with them, such rules are easily exploited, but-"

"Ah!" she interrupted, raising her hoof. "That right there. We can get into standards another time, but that is precisely why moral ponies should not adhere to rules. Because evil ponies can exploit them. When you view morality as a relationship between ponies, not a strict ruleset that must be followed at all times, you need never regret morality. I view morality as a relationship, so what kind of relationship do you think I have with actively immoral and unregenerate ponies?"

"A bad one?"

"A reflective one, if I must. Or no relationship at all, if I have a choice. If somepony seeks to exploit me, to abuse my morality, and I cannot simply tell them to go away, I treat them with the same consideration they treat me. That is what it means to be both good and strong. The silver rule. You see?"

Both good and strong? No, he did not see how such a contradiction could exist… but Riddle considered the dilemma anyway, using Luna's framing.

The 'moral' people whose strength he actually respected could be counted on a single hand: Bones, Moody, Crouch, Dumbledore. Luna if he was feeling generous, though he'd never seen her in an extended wartime setting so he couldn't really speak of her military strength.

Of the four humans, the most relevant would be Dumbledore. There was a standout moment near the end of the war, a moment exactly epitomal of Luna's morals, when Dumbledore finally became a worthy opponent.

Before that point, Voldemort had targeted and ransomed 'light' families because he knew the great and good Albus Dumbledore would pay the ransoms and wouldn't retaliate. But after Dumbledore's own brother was ransomed for a ridiculous amount, and after Albus refused to pay it, and after Aberforth was tortured into insanity (a scene Riddle had locked away from his own memory, but still knew about), Albus Dumbledore finally relented and burned Narcissa Malfoy alive in her bedroom – not as an act of hot vengeance, but as a cold, calculated message, a promise of future consequences, a commitment to what Luna calls 'the silver rule':

Do unto others as they do to you.

Not as you would have them do unto you, i.e. the golden rule.

AS they do to you.

In a game of snitchless Quidditch, if you followed the golden rule, you would pass the quaffle to the enemy team because that's what you would want the enemy team to do to you. And then the enemy team only passes to each other, they laugh at your stupidity, and you lose the game.

To take a less ridiculous example, in a martial arts competition you treat your opponent with respect and you do not break the rules of engagement because that's how you want to be treated, but if your opponent breaks the rules without getting caught, it would be stupid and wrong to continue respecting the rules yourself, at least when facing that opponent.

When your opponent unsheathes their claws, you unsheathe yours, and it becomes a fight, not a dominance contest. Treat others AS they treat you. That is the silver rule.

Luna claims the golden rule is for situations of good faith and earned trust, while the silver rule is for questionable/bad faith and earned enmity. Mutual benefit vs. zero sum, friends and allies vs. unknowns and enemies, sport vs. war, dominance contest vs. death battle.

Albus Dumbledore once had the strict rules of 'never torture anyone' and 'never target uninvolved innocents' and 'save the lives of friends and family no matter the cost'. Dumbledore no longer has those rules, at least where Voldemort is concerned, because the relationship he had with the Dark Lord didn't allow for restraint or mercy or charity. In other words, he finally stopped passing the quaffle to the enemy team, he moved on from the golden rule to the silver rule, he unsheathed his claws at long last.

Dumbledore began treating his morals 'as a relationship between people', not as a strict set of rules to follow regardless of circumstance. That is the moment Dumbledore's morals ceased to be blatantly exploitable.

Regarding Luna's original question, this enabled Dumbledore to be somewhat strong despite the inherent disadvantages that come with being 'good'.

"I see," Riddle said at last.

And he did.

At the very least, Luna continuously reaffirmed to his satisfaction that her moral stances are not obviously stupid.

"But why do you have a relationship with me then, silver rule or no, when you have the ability to send me away?"

The first part of her stance, avoid 'immoral' ponies entirely if she has the choice and ability to do so, is also not a stupid principle. But she has not avoided him, even after discovering the extent of his 'evil'…

Luna smiled. "Because you are truly improving through careful, deliberate effort. And because you have followed the silver rule with me ever since we met, even more strictly and instinctively than I did. And I cannot articulate how rare and refreshing that is."

PreviousChapters Next