• Published 4th Dec 2020
  • 251 Views, 1 Comments

The Warmness and Brightness of Hearth's Warming - MLPSolarDash1907



A poor filly, who has had a very rough life, experiences Hearth's Warming for the very first time

  • ...
 1
 251

Only chapter

It was the night before Hearth’s Warming. The city of Vanhoover was covered in snow as it sparkled and shimmered with lights on multiple buildings. Festive trees lined up on the streets while, wreaths dangled above, as the Hearth’s warming lights lit up the skyline. There was an enormous tree in the city’s square with ponies of all races singing their famous winter carols, sounding like a heavenly choir.

Throughout the suburbs of the city, multi-colored lights decorated the many houses, huge candy canes were on every street. Ponies played and laughed; some sang carols to their neighbors to bring the holiday’s cheer. Some were having a grand feast with their family and friends and some were kissing their special someponies under mistletoes.

But, on a darker part of the cheerful neighborhood, where there weren’t any lights, a lonely filly, no older than six, was walking by herself.

She sniffed, wiping her tears across her bruised cheeks. The filly winced, causing more tears to roll down her face.

Why does he hate me so much? She thought, choking. She shivered hard. Her tattered peppermint scarf was tattered and dirty, providing no warmth for her. There was nothing that could warm her insides up. Then, she tripped and landed on her injured face. She let out a small cry of pain as her face felt like it was on fire.

Her sobs went uncontrolled as she laid in the middle of the cold sidewalk.

The memories of her father just being so controlling and demanding the best of her just surged through her little brain as she let out her sorrows.

This is supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year... she sobbed, And I’ve never seen it any different than any other day...

No family that cared for her. No friends. And nopony else to turn to.

“Hello?” a voice called.

The filly didn’t bother looking up. She made herself smaller, not sure if she could be ridiculed again.

But, instead, she felt a warm soft hoof press against her back. Very hesitantly, the filly looked up to see who was stroking her.

It was an orange coated unicorn, dressed in a festive sweater and a red and green scarf. The filly saw her sympathetic eyes were a light blue.

“Are you all right?” the unicorn asked.

“N-No...” the filly whimpered, looking down at the sidewalk. This had to have been a cruel joke or dream. Or she would just leave—

The filly felt herself being gently picked up. She saw she was surrounded by light blue magic and before she knew it, she was wrapped in warm forelegs giving her a gentle hug.

“Shhhhh,” the unicorn hushed, “Everything’s going to be okay.”

The filly didn’t believe it, but she was surprised when she began to feel a small sensation of warmness. She wanted it. She wanted to feel it even more. The filly hugged the unicorn tighter and let her cries into her chest.

“Would you like to be off the streets?” the unicorn asked.

The filly nodded vigorously.


About half an hour later, the filly found herself on a soft red couch, wrapped in a very warm and plush blanket. The wounds she had sustained had been cleaned and patched up by her host. A smile that had recently formed was on her face. She couldn’t believe the den she was sitting in. The ceiling was very high. Its walls were made of red oak, the floors were a beautiful marble. There was a Hearth’s Warming tree, taller than she’d ever seen before, with the Fire of Friendship heart at the very top. The fireplace had a fire going, and it was strewn with lights, decorated with multiple Hearth’s Warming dolls on top.

It was the most beautiful place she’d ever seen for the holiday.

“Are you comfortable?” her host asked from nearby.

The filly turned to see the unicorn, who looked to be middle-aged, smiling and bringing a plate of cookies and a couple of festive mugs.

“Y-Yes...” said the filly.

The unicorn chuckled as she placed the cookies on the table in front of the filly.

“I’m glad to hear it,” said the unicorn, sitting in a chair next to her. She gently brought one of the mugs to the filly, who took it. “Careful, it’s a little hot.”

The filly looked to see that it was hot chocolate. That surprised her. Marshmallows and red and green sparkles swirled around in it.

“Is this... hot chocolate?” the filly asked.

“Yes,” said the unicorn.

“I’ve... never had any before...”

The unicorn gasped, “You have never had hot chocolate? On Hearth’s Warming?”

The filly looked at her with a frown, “Never.”

Though she could still see the surprise in her host’s eyes, a smile was spreading across the older unicorn’s face.

“Time to change that, don’t you think?” her host asked.

Without any hesitation, the filly gently took her first sip. When she did, her eyes nearly bulged out of her skull. The flavors of the chocolate and marshmallows danced all over her tastebuds and made her mouth tingle. She felt her insides radiating with warmness as she savored the flavor of the drink as it trickled down her throat.

“Whoa...” the filly marveled.

“Good isn’t it?” the unicorn smiled.

“The best!”

She took another sip and over time, she had finished it. Her gaze went to the chocolate chip cookies. They looked as if they were just pulled out of the oven and were still steaming.

“Cookies are some of the warmest treats you can have on a cold night like this,” the unicorn smiled again. “They’ll fill your spirit with the love and friendship the holidays are all about.” She chuckled, “At least, that’s what my mom always told me.”

The filly leaned over and grabbed a couple. She pulled one to her lips and gently blew on it and took her first bite.

Her mouth exploded with flavor. The chocolate melted around her mouth, causing her to water. The sweetness of the cookie just seemed to wash over her tongue like a tidal wave. She chewed slowly, just wanting to get every bit of flavor before it was gone. It didn’t take her much longer to devour the rest of the cookie.


The filly had finished the first plate of the desserts and she felt all warm and fuzzy inside.

“Thanks for the hot chocolate and cookies,” said the filly, smiling a little.

“It’s my pleasure!” her host chirped. She gave a sympathetic smile, “Say, do you want to go make a snowpony in a bit?”

“I think I’d like to stay in here,” replied the filly.

“Okay.”

Both were silent for a minute.

“Why did you help me?” the filly asked, as nopony ever has.

“Because everypony deserves to be treated with kindness and love,” said the unicorn, “Nopony deserves to be alone on Hearth’s Warming.”

The filly’s heart thudded with joy and happiness. For the first time, she had somepony in her life she could be with on this special holiday and maybe even longer than that.

“Do you want to talk about why you were out there?” her host asked.

The filly’s eyes widened, but the idea suddenly sounded like a good one. She would be able to share with somepony that cared.

“I mean, if you want to share, I’m all ears,” said the unicorn with an apologetic look.

“My dad...” said the filly.

“What?”

“My dad and I got into an argument...” the filly muttered, trying to forget when he hit her.

The unicorn’s eyes widened.

“My father’s one of the most important ponies in the city,” the filly continued, “He doesn’t care for a mundane, muddy earth pony.”

“You’re anything but.”

“I’m a latch-key kind of child,” the filly frowned, “My dad never makes time for me... and when he does, he changes things to however he wants to make me miserable.”

“My gosh...”

“Yeah...” the filly frowned, trying to hold her tears back. “At six years old, I’ve had to fend for myself, make my own living choices that are changed by him. And he wants me to stay there until I’m a ‘proper filly for an earth pony.’” She sniffed, a tear rolling down her face, “And nopony bothered to check in on me except the maid my dad sends to fix up the dingy house he has me living in.”

“But... doesn’t your dad live with you?” the unicorn asked, a horrified and saddened expression on her face.

The filly shook her head, “No... he lives in a mansion while I live away from him as if I were trash.”

The unicorn got up and sat down next to the filly. She gently picked her up and hugged her. The warmness of the hug was unlike anything she’d ever felt before. It was so warm, soft, and comforting. Tears trickled down her face as she returned the hug, burying her muzzle into her host’s neck.

It was the closest thing she’d ever felt to a parent or a mother’s love.

“I am so so sorry, little one,” her host whispered, “Nopony deserves that.”

As she hugged tighter, the filly noticed that the unicorn’s dark green mane smelled like pine, or was it evergreen?

The filly’s stomach rumbled, which told her she wanted more cookies. But she didn’t want this moment to end. But her stomach protested and she reluctantly released her host. The filly sat down back on the couch and grabbed a couple of the cookies.

“I knew there was something wrong,” said the unicorn, running a hoof down her face, “But I didn’t think it was this horrible.”

“I...” the filly, “Thanks for listening, I guess.”

Her host sighed, “It’s no problem.” She placed a comforting hoof on the filly’s shoulder, “Again, nopony deserves to be alone on Hearth’s Warming.”

The filly smiled a real genuine smile. “Does that mean I can stay with you for the holiday?”

“Sure!”

The filly’s heart leaped for joy.

“Oh, where are my manners?” the unicorn gave a sheepish look, “My name’s Holly Evergreen. What’s yours?”

“Violet Aura,” replied Violet. She stood up on the couch, “How about we go make that snowpony now?”

Holly giggled, “I’ll go get us both some winter clothing!”


It was probably for the best that Holly didn’t ask about her bruising earlier. Now in a warm winter jacket, hat, and a proper scarf, Violet was in Holly’s front yard rolling a big snowball up to the snowpony’s body. But when it became too big for her to move, Holly was there by her side and helped her push it all the way.

“One thing about the holidays is that you get to spend them with good friends and great company,” said Holly, lifting Violet with her magic and placing the head of the snowpony in its place.

“I see,” said Violet.

“Have you heard the tale of Hearth’s Warming?” Holly asked as Violet was levitated some charcoal.

“Who hasn’t?” Violet asked, placing one of the coals for the snowpony’s eyes, “About how earth ponies, unicorns, and pegasi became friends to fight back an eternal winter.”

“That story also holds a meaning of looking to the promise and hope of friendship,” said Holly, helping Violet place the last coal in for the second eye, “It’s what our nation is built on and I believe others should thrive from it.”

“I’ve never thought of it like that before,” said Violet, as Holly placed a stick on their project for its mouth. She saw Holly had levitated a scarf and hat up to her. Violet took them and placed the hat on the snowpony’s head. She carefully wrapped the simple pink scarf around its neck.

“Like a true craftspony,” Holly giggled, “Great snowpony, Violet.”

“You helped,” Violet smiled, blushing lightly.

“Well, like a hat and a scarf,” Holly put Violet down in front of her, “Friendship invites you into its warmth and protection. “And it will be your shining light if you want to live for it.”

“But what about...” Violet frowned, “My father? He doesn’t have friends...”

Holly knelt to Violet with a caring gaze.

“Your father might be your biological father, but he’s not your dad,” said Holly, “And family doesn’t have to be your parents or siblings. You can make a lot of friends, and you all would be family.”

“Really?” Violet asked.

Holly nodded, “Indeed. Just find those who would be your real family.”

Violet smiled, “I think I might have my first member.” She hugged Holly, who returned it.


After finishing up their snowpony, both Holly and Violet went to a quieter part of Vanhoover’s park. Somewhere Violet had never been before. The snow blanketed the terrain under the beautiful moon’s glow. The trees that lined the trails were decorated from trunk to limbs, making them almost seem like trees of lights.

“This is my place to come and relax after a hard day’s work,” said Holly, “It’s even better when snow is covering the ground.”

“It’s beautiful,” Violet smiled. “Kind of magical.”

Holly giggled, “Believe it or not, I said the same thing when I was your age.”

Violet’s eyes widened in awe.

She took in the sight of the snow surrounding her. But, as they were walking, an idea came to Violet, causing her to pause.

I know ponies do this, Violet thought, getting a clump of snow in her hooves. She looked back at Holly and a mischievous smirk spread across her face. Without a second thought, she tossed it at the back of her host’s head.

Holly gasped when the snowball hit her. The older unicorn looked at her with wide eyes.

“How could you?” Holly asked, her horn lighting up.

Violet suddenly felt terrible, “Oh, wait! I was just wanting to have-” A snowball hit her softly in the face.

“A war?!” Holly laughed.

It wasn’t much later and the snowballs were flying across the once quiet park.


After their fun snowball fight, Holly took Violet out to get more hot chocolate and some treats. Now, as they walk on the sidewalk, snow began to fall.

“I’d love to take you on an extra little trip,” Holly smiled.

“What kind of trip?”

“You’ll see.”

Violet followed Holly close behind and had expected to go into the heart of the city, but instead, they were staying in the suburbs where the houses and yards were decorated with all kinds of colored lights, reindeer, inflatable snowponies, and a lot more decorations that seemed impossible to her little mind.

Soon, they came upon a one-story building that looked plain and uninteresting, but it had lights strewn on its walls and doorframes.

“Where is this place?” Violet asked curiously.

“Somewhere special,” Holly smiled her ever-cheerful grin again. “But know this, “Good deeds can impact many ponies’ lives, Violet. And when things seem bleak, the brightness and hope will glow even brighter.” Holly opened the double doors as Violet began thinking about what she had been told.

Violet didn’t look up to see where they’re going, but she could hear what sounded like kids playing. They got louder as the hall they were in seemed to brighten a little. When Violet decided to look up, Holly was opening another door.

Violet’s eyes widened when she saw kids, earth ponies, unicorns, and pegasi all playing together in various activities. The room was large and decorated, it had a gigantic tree in the middle of it with presents underneath it.

“Holly’s here!” one of the kids announced.

Every colt and filly cheered as they galloped over to see the pony in question.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming kids!” Holly shouted with a laugh.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming!” they cried as they crowded around her.

Holly giggled as she ruffled several foals’ manes.

“I’ve got a new friend for us!” Holly announced. The kids went silent. She gently pushed Violet ahead, “This is Violet Aura. She’ll be attending our events for the night and tomorrow! Let’s show her the real spirit of Hearth’s Warming!”

The kids cheered again, and before Violet knew it, she was receiving all kinds of greetings and hugs from them.


After a bunch of hugs, Violet was being sat on in a chair, and noticed that the other kids were being attended to by other caretakers.

“This here is an outreach program to little ponies all across Equestria,” said Holly, “This is one of my favorite things to do on the holidays. “Seeing little ones just brightening up at the sight of somepony that cares for them and wants to give them a wonderful home.” She stepped in front of and knelt to Violet’s level, “But we do our best here to make them feel at home with each other.”

“So, presents and gifts are what the holidays are about?” Violet asked skeptically, “Kind of fits in with what I’ve been told.”

“It’s not about gifts and decorations,” Holly smiled, “It’s about celebrating the ponies in your lives.” She placed a comforting hoof on under Violet’s chin, “And you, little one, just got a lot of ponies in your life.”

“Hi,” said a soft voice. Violet saw that there were several foals in line to see her.

“Hello?” Violet greeted hesitantly.

“I’m just wanting to say how happy we are that you’re here,” said the filly.

“You being here just reminds us of how many of us need to be brought in as one big family,” said a second. She winked.

“And if you ever need anypony to speak to, we’ll always be there for you, our fellow sister,” the third said, smiling.

“Sister?” Violet asked, touched by the word.

“We’re like brothers and sisters, more so in the holiday season,” said the fourth. “Which is why we want you to have this.” He walked up to her and gave her a little box.

Violet raised an eyebrow and opened it. Inside was a medallion with a green and a red ribbon coming out from behind it. On the center, it said, “Family and friends are forever. Happy Hearth’s Warming.”

Violet teared up some, “Thank you. All of you.”

They pulled her in for a group hug which she eagerly accepted.

“Come join us for carols and treats when you’re able!” said the first as they pulled back.

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Violet giggled.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming!” the kids said in unison, and then they left.

Violet looked down at her gift she’d gotten. She smiled. It was the first thing she’d ever received in her life.

“Real friends, huh?” Violet smiled at Holly.

“Friendship is the most precious thing in the world, Violet,” Holly beamed, “As long as you look to a true source of hope, love, and brightness that would overtake the darkness, you’ve found yourself a real home in that hope.”

Violet couldn’t help but continue to smile. She was so thankful. Friendship was truly something special and it and Hearth’s Warming truly are bright.

“We’re about to sing our favorite song,” said Holly, “Want to join?”

Almost automatically, Violet nodded. Holly took her by the hoof and both walked to the outer circle of the choir of kids surrounding the tree.

Violet’s heart hammered, sending joy throughout her system. Her coldness was gone and she was enveloped in warmth. The beating Fire of Friendship shone brightly onto her and the choir below.

One of these days she hoped to have an even better life by getting her father to love her and have many more friendships to come. And before she knew it, she was singing her heart out with them.

The fire of friendship lives in our hearts

As long as it burns, we cannot drift apart

Though quarrels arise, their numbers are few

Laughter and singing will see us through (will see us through)

We are a circle of pony friends

A circle of friends we'll be to the very end!

Everypony cheered, kids jumped for joy and Violet was probably the loudest. This was the best time she has ever had. She remembered Holly standing next close by. The kids kept cheering as Violet stopped and blushed.

“Just keep looking to that hope, Violet,” said Holly, smiling “Strive to be the best you know you can be. Help ponies that can be helped, and be something that’ll prove others wrong.”

“I will be sure to remember that,” Violet smiled.

“Okay,” Holly grinned, “Now, let’s go get you some Hearth’s Warming treats to enjoy!”

“I’m right behind you!”


An older Violet opened her eyes.

“Just keep looking to that hope, Violet. Strive to be the best you know you can be. Help ponies that can be helped, and be something that’ll prove others wrong.”

The memories were mostly there after all these years. Violet looked down at her hooves and frowned. In her hooves was the medallion, albeit rusted, and the ribbons were nearly gone, she had received from ponies that cared for her.

It always helped to be reminded of why she started on the path that led her here. On this day and every year. She felt a little selfish for not celebrating this “Hearth’s Warming” with the others but she believed once they settled everything, they would do that and much more.

Violet heard the flap to her tent open. She didn’t need to turn around to see the pony who reminded her of Holly.

“Hey, we’re nearly ready,” said a voice.

Violet nodded. “I’ll be there in a minute.”

A slow exhale from her nostrils. Those days were long behind her. And she must look to the future with those she must stick close by.

“Is everything okay?”

Violet sighed, “I’m fine, Mystic. Tell the others I’m on my way.”

“Yes, Cierra.”

The End

Author's Note:

My first attempt at a oneshot surrounding Christmas! :twilightsmile:

Hope you enjoyed and have a Merry Christmas! :pinkiehappy:



































If you want to learn more about Violet Aura (Cierra) and Mystic, please check out my first story Wherever the Light Shines! :twilightsmile:

Comments ( 1 )

That was a nice one-shot holiday story! Poor Violet! It was very sweet that not only Holly Evergreen was very generous to her, but also showed her the meaning of Hearth's Warming! :twilightsmile:

"Violet" was actually Cierra!? :pinkiegasp: Didn't see that one coming! :rainbowderp:

Login or register to comment