• Published 30th Sep 2020
  • 987 Views, 287 Comments

Help - WittyNameTFM

  • ...
1
 287
 987

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 38. Getting Back On Track

Author's Note:

Alrighty, finally got to this part. I reworked the original fic that started this whole canon. Some of it may be familiar, I just tried to adjust it to the current working canon. If you've read the original Getting Back On Track, try to see where I changed stuff. A lot of it was set for the one off, then I went into the characters more... Hope you guys enjoyed the build. We're in there everyone. Now the awkward dating arc starts. :twilightsmile:
Thanks for reading!

Indigo limped to a chair nearby. She gingerly massaged her knee as she caught her breath. With a sigh, she leaned back in the seat. Rehab was much harder than she'd ever let on. Her movement was getting back to normal, but a lingering concern really hit her.

Was it bad enough to affect her for the rest of her life? Or was it just something she'd bounce back from? This sucked so bad, putting her knee through its paces hurt. A lot. Her tolerance was pretty high, but it wore down over the several visits. Though the results were nothing to sneeze at. She was able to move around at a normal pace again.

Running was still pretty rough, she only did that under dire circumstances. The memory of running down the hall to meet Sunny the other day played in her mind. 'Yeah. That counted.' She mentally shrugged.

Her phone buzzed, a familiar song playing as it lit up. She reached over for it as she sat up. "Yo." She answered, subconsciously massaging her knee again.

"Hey! Your appointment is almost over, right? Want me to come pick you up?" Sunny asked.

"Ugh, please?" She whined. 'I'm so tired…' She sighed.

"Are you feeling okay?" Sunny asked, concerned.

"I'm just beat…" She admitted. "Getting back up to speed is kicking my ass." She could trust Sunny…why hadn't she talked about it with her yet?

"Well, okay. I'm on my way."

"We'll run home, I'm tired."

"I'm sure you can at least manage the ride home, no worries."

"Thanks, Sunny. You're the best."

"I know. But it still feels nice to be told." She said, with what Indigo was sure of, a puffed out chest out as she spoke.

'Alright, a few more reps.' She stood, heading over to the equipment. The nurse helped stabilize her as she struggled to keep her footing while exercising. Pain shot through her leg as she stretched, trying to hold the position, unfortunately she had to tap out, the nurse having to catch her from falling.

"Maybe we should call it for the day, miss Zap." The nurse said with a small frown.

"I can't give up, now." She sighed, holding onto the supports, willing herself to stand again.

"Indigo, I would advise you take your time, should you push too hard, you'll just hurt yourself again." The woman said sadly.

Indigo felt a tinge of disappointment in herself. "Man…" She groaned, pushing to her feet anyway. She gingerly stepped toward the nearby chair.

“How are you holding up?”

She looked up to see Sunny, concern on her face.

“Could be better.” Indigo admitted, wincing as she was helped to her feet.

“You're not gonna re-injure yourself doing this, right?” She asked.

“I don't think so, but rehabbing a knee injury is not pleasant."

“I didn't think that it would be... Just slow down a few more weeks. You mess yourself up for real and you're in for a worse recovery period.”

Indigo sighed. “You're right…”

“Not even gonna argue? Nurse? Are we sure Indigo is alright?” The young woman behind them giggled at the jab.

“Ha ha.” She laughed, sarcastically. “You little shit. Grab my bag so we can head out, would you?"

“Right.” She looked into the bag, seeing the painkillers she was prescribed...almost full. She pursed her lips, recalling what Indigo had told her way back in the nurse's office at school. She glanced over at the nurse, who was giving Indigo instructions.

'Has she not been taking these at all? No wonder the pain's been getting to her…' Indigo nodded, listening and gingerly walking to Sunny's side. "Ready to go?" She asked.

With a sigh Indigo nodded. "Yeah, I think so. Thanks for the help today!" She said over her shoulder as the nurse waved goodbye.

As they walked down the hallway, the shorter girl glanced over. "Indigo, I saw that you have an almost full bottle of painkillers…"

“Only when I need them. Maybe one now would help…” She said with a frown. "I know-"

“They say to take daily, Indigo.”

“But I'm not in pain daily. Just rarely.”

"I remember the nurse's office," Sunny said quietly. "I can't make you take them, but I can promise to make sure you don't go overboard."

Indigo gave her a small smirk. “Geez, I can't believe you remember that. You know that if you offer something like that, you're stuck with me until I either die, right?”

“You say that like its a bad thing.” She shrugged.


They exited the medical facility, Sunny was more focused on Indigo's continued limp. “Come here…” She caught her arm, helping her to a bench nearby. “How bad is it..?” She asked.

“It's not that bad. I'm just-”

“Indigo.”

“It's not great.” She admitted, looking down.

Sunny knelt down to adjust her brace. “It's a shame I've known you long enough to learn how to do this.” She huffed. “Now you're gonna take the pain killers and get some rest for the next few days. Got it?” She glared up at her. Indigo held her hands up in surrender.

“Okay, okay...I got it.”

Sunny reached into her bag, taking out the bottle and handing it to her. Indigo groaned, but downed two of the pills.

“Now. Give me your arm. I'll allow you to lean on me.”

“‘Allow me’? Don't put yourself out on my account.” Indigo smirked.

“I'm being nice Indigo. I'm already annoyed that you make things so much harder for yourself.”

“Okay, geez. You're not letting up today…” She hooked her arm around Sunny's shoulders and stood.

“I'm annoyed that I have to babysit my best friend as if she were a child.”

“Aww, I'm your best friend?”

“I'll drop you.”

“Now you're threatening me?! Make up your mind!”

Sunny let her grip loosen, which Indigo quickly panicked and grabbed back onto her.

“Thought so.”

“Not cool.”

Sunny only smirked, helping her to the car, even helping her maneuver the injured leg into the car comfortably.

“Before we head home, have you eaten?” Sunny asked, adjusting her mirror.

Indigo sat up, “I...haven't.”

“When was the last time you ate?” She asked.

“Like..before I left for the appointment?” She looked out the window.

“You're aware it's almost 5 in the afternoon, right?”

“C'mon Sunny, I already can't work out...I'm gonna get out of shape.”

“Indigo.” She turned to face her. “I know you're annoyed. You're very independent, and don't like being unable to do things for yourself, but for the love of all things holy, if you don't swallow your pride and let me help you...you're going to get worse and worse and you'll probably never compete again.” She put her hand on Indigo's shoulder. “I've been trying to be patient...but you know how I am, and if I ever make you feel like I'm talking down to you or babying you, I need you to tell me.” She squeezed gently. “You know I'm only doing this to help, right?"

Indigo blushed, looking down. “Uh...right. Thanks Sunny, it really means a lot, I swear. I just...I'm not used to it, y'know?”

"I know, and it still makes me mad that you had to go through that.” She sighed. Sunny tried to never bring up Indigo's family situation, but it just boiled her blood. Indigo was never the overconfident jock that she portrayed herself as. She was just trying to do her best to live up to some impossible goal. "Let's get some food, okay?" She asked with a small smile.

“Yeah…” She nodded. “Thanks.” Indigo looked up at her, the small smile on her face made her want to return it. She felt herself become lighter...as if a weight was lifted from her shoulders, and suddenly the exhaustion, pain and hunger hit her.

Indigo deflated in her seat, holding her stomach. Sunny tilted her head. “You okay?”

“Just...I think the adrenaline finally wore off.”

"Yeah? Good, maybe you can start relaxing some.”

“Thanks, and I'm sorry for being so...difficult.”

Sunny started the car, backing out. “Its okay. I understand.”


A quick stop at a drive-thru, and the two were back at Sunny's place. Indigo opened the door, taking Sunny's offered hand, and gingerly stood. The pain wasn't as bad, the medicine seeming to help a lot. Who would have thought? She was helped to the loveseat in the living room, Sunny moving about to get the food and drinks.

She took a seat beside her, handing Indigo her food. The athlete began eating while Sunny flipped on the tv. Some cheesy action film...enough to keep interest while they ate. Indigo tossed the wrapper back in the bag and pat her stomach. “Okay. I did need food.” She smiled.

“How's your knee?” She asked, glancing over to the brace.

“It's not hurting too bad…”

Sunny wrapped her unfinished burger, leaning forward to sit it on the coffee table. She pat her lap. “Here, let me take off the brace.”

“Wha?” Indigo asked, blushing lightly.

“Oh come on, Indigo.” She pouted.

The athlete sighed, turning in her seat and lifting her legs to rest across Sunny's lap.

Sunny undid the brace, gently touching her knee. “Any pain?”

“N-No.”

“Good.” She smiled, returning to watching the tv.

Indigo looked confused, but watched the tv as well. Sunny resting her arms across the athlete's legs, carefully.

***

After a few hours, Sunny glanced over, seeing Indigo leaned into the corner of the couch, arms crossed and sleeping soundly. She smiled softly, looking back at her leg. Luckily, it wasn't swollen. She may have strained it,but hopefully it wasn't hurt worse.

She breathed through her nose. The day her injury happened...it was terrifying.

Indigo was running across the field, the ace of the soccer team. She went to steal the ball as an opposing player went for a kick.

It was an accident…

The sound.

The crack was loud enough that Sunny felt her heart drop upon hearing it.

The other player immediately kneeled down to check on her, calling for help.

Sunny shot to her feet, Lemon, Sugarcoat and Sour joined her as she ran down the bleachers to get to the fence between the crowd and field. Rainbow was there, keeping Indigo from sitting up. Roll and Royal were ejected after they started fighting. Lightning looked devastated. Indigo just laid back on the grass, covering her eyes.

The coaches and her teammates surrounded her, all had concern on their minds. Medics pushed past to strap her to a backboard, gently as possible, but any movement at all made her shout in pain.

“We'll catch up!” Lemon waved as Sunny pushed past the crowd.

She approached the medics, asking if she could join her. Indigo gave the okay...and with a nod, she climbed in. “Indigo, just take a breath, you're going to be okay.” She said, though the look she was given. The pained look. The tears in her eyes, the pure fear behind them, it hurt just looking at her. She took her hand, squeezing gently. “I'm here…” She assured.

***

Sunny blinked back from her memory. She looked at Indigo again. Peaceful, relaxed, serene. She smiled softly.

“Gonna take a picture?” Indigo asked, eyes still closed, but her mouth formed a smirk.

“I already have.”

“Huh?” She opened her eyes.

“Oh, nothing.” Sunny giggled. “You looked so peaceful. Were you just playing the whole time, or did you doze off at any point for real?”

“Maybe for a little bit.” She crossed her arms.

“I was thinking about it.” She said, gently touching her knee. The athlete didn't even tense at her touch...she frowned softly, but looked up at her.

“Did I ever thank you?” Indigo asked, sitting up more.

“Once or twice.” Sunny giggled.

“You helped me out so much. I'm sorry for being a pain.” She sighed.

“You wouldn't be you if you didn't.”

“I'm...not sure how to take that.”

“Go with a compliment.” She shrugged, lifting her legs and gently guiding them to the floor. She stood and stretched. “It's getting late. Wanna move to my room?”

“I mean...we could. You mind?”

“Not at all. Wanna do it on your own?”

Indigo stood, but barely put weight on her injured leg. She half stepped, but made it to the door. “Hah! Did it!” She cheered. Sunny rolled her eyes. “C'mon. Let's get to bed.”

Indigo flopped on the bed, Sunny rolling her eyes with a small smile. “Make yourself comfortable.” She said, sarcastically.

“You have a nice bed.”

“So you say.” She chuckled. “Want some pjs, or are you good?”

“I'll be alright.”

Sunny took some clothing and entered her bathroom, changing and returning to sit beside her on the bed. “Try not to strain yourself for a few more days, okay?”

Indigo groaned out an 'alright’.

“Listen here, young lady. You will answer me like you have some sense of decency.” She scolded teasingly.

“Yes, ma'am.” The sporty girl sighed with a smile. She glanced at her friend. “Hey Sunny?”

“If you're about to thank me again…” She began, scrolling through her phone.

“This...isn't normal, is it?” She asked.

Sunny put her phone down, turning to look at her. “What do you mean?”

“You have to be aware of it, we're...pretty close.”

“You couldn't walk for a while Indigo. I had to help you out, or you'd have tried to do everything on your own.”

“I'm just saying...you could've stopped after I got back on my feet, but here we are. I'm in your room, staying with you again.”

“Do you want to go to your room..?”

“N-No I-” she grumbled quietly. “Sunny. Is...this just because you worry about me?”

“Well of course I-” She stopped, there was a searching look in Indigo's eyes. “Indigo, just…”

“I never got a lot of positive reinforcement from home...so I'm just...concerned I'm feeling something that isn't there.” She admitted.

“It's there, Indigo. While, yes. This was initially because of concern, why I'm concerned is because I care about you. Not only because you're my best friend...but because maybe...I perhaps…”

“You..?”

“May have had a crush on you prior to us becoming friends.” She admitted.

'Had.’ Was the word Indigo took from that.

“But. Having gotten to know the girl behind it, I can safely say it's more than a crush at this point.”

“Wha?”

“I like you, Indigo. I just didn't know how to tell you.”

The athlete smiled softly before hugging her. “Seriously?! I've been freaking out about this forever you jerk.” She grumbled as Sunny returned the hug.

“Sorry, dear.”

“So you, uh, doing anything tomorrow?”

“Moving a bit fast, hmm?” Sunny chuckled.

“Says the one who got me in her bed.”

“...Okay, you got me there.” She giggled. “I'm free tomorrow.”

“Dinner then? I think adding a movie would be too cliche.”

“Anything sounds lovely, really.”

PreviousChapters Next