• Published 30th Sep 2020
  • 987 Views, 287 Comments

Help - WittyNameTFM

  • ...
1
 287
 987

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 37. Safe And Happy

Author's Note:

Gave some hints at some future plot points in this one. Hope you all enjoy, I've got the next two chapters planned in advance. Gonna do some modifications, to add some oneshots I made into the canon of this fic. We'll see how long that takes. Thanks for reading!

"So. Wanna tell me what that was about?" Indigo asked, arms crossed, glaring up at the taller girl. She caught Royal leaving the locker room after practice, most of the team had long since left, leaving the former captain and the bruised vice captain.

"Don't worry about it." Royal said simply.

"I will. Because you went after a friend of mine out of some misguided attempt at revenge. Or am I wrong about that? I'd love to know." She spat. "Why are you even holding a grudge?"

"Because we-!" She grit her teeth. "You didn't…" She mussed her hair in frustration. "Forget it. I'll back off."

"I'd like to understand, Royal." Indigo said with a frown.

The taller girl sighed, pushing her to the side. "I'll drop it. That's all you need to understand." She said, passing by her, hiding her expression. The faintest red seemed to dust her cheeks as she stormed down the hall.

Indigo sighed as well. 'I guess that's progress…' She jolted as her phone began an alert, quickly fishing it out of her pocket, she saw it was time to meet Sunny after practice. "Crap!" She started down the hall towards the auditorium, a slight twinge of pain slowed her jog to a walk. She sighed, pushing forward. Indigo knew it'd be fine, given time, but she was impatient.

The hall turned, doors on both sides, some open with scattered students going through club activities. People she usually only saw in passing. Though, something felt different.

A few of them actually gave her a wave as she passed. "Hey Indigo!"

She blinked away the confusion. "Oh, hey there."

They seemed to be underclassmen, younger students who only knew her from this year's events. The ones who hadn't had their excitement for higher learning boiled down to just numbers yet.

She waved at each student, making sure to acknowledge each one. They deserved that much at least, even if they were just being polite to wave at all.

It also felt kinda good, even if they were just being nice. She wasn't to be avoided anymore. A temperamental jock that wasn't worth talking to. The joy faded at that thought. People used to be scared of her. Now they see her bickering with Sunny or talking with Lemon, asking things of Sugarcoat or consoling Sour. A weight seemed to lift off her. 'Things really have changed a lot…'

While she was caught in her thoughts, she paid no attention to the door opening to her right, a taller girl stepping out, speaking over her shoulder back into the room. "Thank you, I'll make sure to-OOF!"

Indigo felt the girl bump into her and bounce off. She maintained her ground on instinct, though she was more confused than anything. She extended a hand to the new person. "Sorry about that, you okay?" She asked.

"I will be…" The girl mumbled, holding her head, but reaching up to take the offered hand.

Lilac skin, purple hair with a teal streak. It hit her as she was helping her to her feet that she didn't recognize this girl.

"You new?" She asked, tilting her head as she watched her dust herself off.

"Y-Yeah, I'm transferring in soon just, y'know, finalizing things." She said with a shrug.

"Oh, cool. My name is Indigo, if you ever need anything just hit me up." Indigo smirked, giving a thumbs up. "I'm late though, I'll see you around, sorry for knocking you over!" She waved as she tried to jog down the hall again, the pain was only minor…she could manage.

"Wha-, but-" The girl deflated slightly. "I appreciate the offer, but she coulda at least let me introduce myself…"

The teacher in the room behind her chuckled, now approaching the door. "That's just how she is sometimes. Indigo is a good kid, I'm sure you'll get along well with her group. Now then, are you okay?"

"I'm good. It didn't hurt that much." She smiled softly.

"Well, I look forward to seeing you in class soon, Miss Glimmer."

"Thank you, sir."


"Hmm, she's later than usual." Autumn said, kicking her feet off the edge of the stage.

Sunny gave her a side glance. "You know she doesn't have to show up."

"But she always comes to get you after practice." She crossed her arms in thought. "The only times she hasn't been was when she was unable to walk. Surely you've noticed-" It was only when she spotted the side glare that she closed her mouth, albeit with a knowing smirk.

"You're enjoying this."

"Of course I am."

Sunny rolled her eyes. "You're being a pest."

"Come on, how could you not know?" Autumn asked. "You're usually on top of stuff like that."

"Maybe the old me, I'm sure there was a time I'd look into rumors like that. But it would never be any of my business, just like it's not yours." She huffed.

The younger girl giggled. "You're getting flustered."

The large door across the auditorium opened before Sunny could retort. Both girls looked up to Indigo resting one hand on the push bar, she shook her injured leg with a sigh before realizing she was being watched.

"Hey! Sorry I'm late." She lifted her hand to wave.

"Mmhmm~" Autumn hummed, shooting a sideways glance to Sunny.

"Are you okay?" Sunny asked, hopping off the stage.

"Leg's acting up. I ran into a new student on the way." She blinked. "I didn't introduce myself." Indigo put her palm to her forehead. "Whoops."

"I'm sure we'll see them somewhere down the line, how bad does your leg hurt?" She asked.

"It's not that bad, I think I just need to get back to moving around."

"I don't think that's the wisest choice…"

"I'll start slow, no worries. Not gonna go try and dead lift anything. I'm talking like jogging or something." Indigo assured, looking past Sunny to wave to Autumn, who gave one back with a smile.

"You're looking great, Indigo. Good to see you back on your feet!" Autumn said as she hopped down as well.

"Thanks." Indigo smiled. "It feels good to move around like I used to."

"I'll bet. Try not to get hurt like that again, it was tough for everyone to see you like that." She frowned.

"Well, I'll do my best. I can't speak for any other circumstances." She chuckled. "You know, I wouldn't choose to do that again."

"I heard you were stepping away from the soccer team too, is that true?" She asked.

"Yeah. I'm sorta figuring out what I wanna do, y'know?" Indigo asked, looking down. "I've got the option now, so I'm gonna take it."

"Admirable. You're really cool, Indigo." Autumn smiled brightly. "And not in an 'i'm just saying this to make you feel good' way. Like legitimately, you're really cool."

Indigo's cheeks heated at the sudden praise. "Uh, th-thanks! I appreciate that, man." She chuckled, trying to play off the embarrassment.

"Still easily flustered." Sunny teased, eying her face.

"Shut it." Indigo crossed her arms with a huff.

"It's cute." Sunny heard herself say, before her eyes widened, glancing at Autumn, hoping it was quiet enough. The smirk she wore assured Sunny that it was…in fact not quiet enough.

"Enough with the teasing, geez." Indigo whined.

"Okay, okay." Sunny forced a chuckle. "C'mon, let's head home. Goodbye, Autumn."

"Later, girls. Oh! Message me later about the next play we're going to read for." She remembered as they walked toward the door.

"Oh, right, right. I got you." Sunny said as they parted ways turning different directions as they left the auditorium. As soon as they were far enough away, Sunny sighed.

"That girl is such a handful…" She slumped as she walked. "Endless energy and always so upbeat…"

"That doesn't sound bad. Tell me why you say that?" Indigo suggested. Sunny had noticed the way Indigo continued her conversation topics and had been welcoming a discussion with her. They were definitely something she'd picked up on at therapy.

"Well, you understand how, for example, when you were competing. You'd be 'on', like your confidence and attitude would be in 'game mode'. However, you're not like that off the field. Understand so far?"

Indigo nodded, letting her continue.

"She doesn't seem to ever turn it off." She explained. "The Autumn you talk to behind the curtain is the same boisterous and outgoing girl as the character she's meant to play. I wonder if that's just her, or if that's how she thinks she has to be to fit in…" Sunny cupped her chin in thought.

"And there it is." Indigo smirked.

"There 'what' is?"

"Sunny, I don't know if you noticed, but you have a tendency to worry about others." Indigo chuckled.

"Huh? What's that supposed to mean?"

"Well, for one thing…you were the one who found me out about the stuff I kept to myself. You brought Sour, Sugarcoat and Lemon together. You just tend to notice when people need help." She shrugged. "I suggest you ask her next time you see her."

Sunny crossed her arms, "I'm just trying to make sure everyone is okay." She said, "Do you think people think I just can't keep my nose out of other people's business?"

"What? No, I wasn't trying to-" Indigo sighed. "I was trying to build you up, Sunny." She shrugged. "You've got a good track record, I didn't mean to make you think that you were nosey, sorry."

Sunny gave her a small smile. "Well, you did a great job. Thank you, Indigo. I took it the wrong way." She giggled. "You really think I've got good instincts?"

"If you didn't, I don't want to think about where I'd be. You changed my life and I don't know if I'll ever be able to make that up to you." She admitted.

Sunny blushed. "You don't have to, I'm just glad you're safe and happy."

"Yeah? Well I'm probably the happiest I've ever been." She put her arm around Sunny's shoulders. "And also probably the safest I've been, to be honest." She chuckled.

"Well, that's a load off my shoulders." Sunny giggled, putting an arm around her waist. "I'm glad you're doing so well, but I'm not taking all the credit. You had to take those steps, I just nagged you into it."

"Oh, shut up and let me compliment you."

"You're just as bad as I am, don't even start."

"Hmm, you may be right."

Sunny leaned into the embrace, Indigo squeezed her closer with a smile, the warmth in her cheeks didn't even bother her. This felt…right.

PreviousChapters Next