• Published 30th Sep 2020
  • 987 Views, 287 Comments

Help - WittyNameTFM

  • ...
1
 287
 987

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27. Slow Progress

Author's Note:

While it's not super crucial to the main continuity of this fic, the last bits of this chapter reference a lot of the events of Dancing With Dust, due to it being their history before this story. If you want to know a bit more about them I'd suggest checking this out, but it's not mandatory.

I really looked back at some of my stuff to try and bring more into this story. A lot of work and side projects delayed me on this until the last minute. I hope you enjoy reading and seeing a bit more of the other side of the situation. We'll return to our Indigo-centric story soon, I promise :rainbowlaugh:

"I heard about your friend getting hurt." Dr. Waller spoke with a frown, "How are you handling things?" She asked, looking up from her clipboard. Her office was as well lit as usual, but to both the patient and doctor a heaviness was hanging over them as the topic was brought up.

Sour sighed. "I'm…not happy about it. One of her teammates wanted to get revenge and I almost agreed with her." She palmed her face. "How fucked is that? You're well aware it was an accident, but your first response to seeing your friend get hurt is violence?" She chuckled bitterly.

"It's a very common response, Sour. Especially when there are no immediate options available, many people can default to the first thing they think of. You can't make the pain go away, but you can make someone else feel the same. Someone you felt deserved it." The doctor explained. "And how did you handle the situation after finding out she wished to cause harm?"

"I told her off and we almost got into it. I really think Lemon was disappointed in me for that one…" She looked down at the floor.

"Perhaps that should be discussed. Lemon has been very understanding."

"Right…sometimes I feel like I don't deserve her." She blushed faintly. "A-Any of them, really."

"That may be another thing to discuss with them." Waller chuckled. "Sour, while I'm aware that just telling you this won't magically make everything better," Sour frowned, recalling one of their first conversations. She'd used those words to describe therapy in general. "-you shouldn't have to do anything to earn happiness."

Sour nodded. Lemon said something similar before, though hearing that being reinforced lent credibility to the rocker's words.

"Now then, please continue." Dr. Waller said with a small smile.


Sunny opened the door to her home, taking a deep breath. Her practice ran late, and she ran into one of Lightning's friends. Their conversation was illuminating, but didn't help her poor time management. She was tired, but not physically. Mentally strained, she felt ready to fall onto her bed and try to sleep away until Indigo was more open to talk again, but that's not what she wanted. Not what would help the situation. Not what Indigo needed. Ignoring her would just reinforce the negativity she had escaped from.

"I'm home!" She called as she closed the door behind her.

"Welcome home, sweetie." Solar called from the living room.

She yawned as she walked into the room. "How have things be-" She stopped, seeing Indigo sitting on the couch, her leg resting on the coffee table. The jock offered a timid wave at her gaze.

"H-Hey Indigo." She said, feeling a swelling in her chest. A hopeful joy at seeing her out of the room. Interacting. Opening up again.

"Hey." She said quietly.

"Things have been pretty good. We've been binging old pay-per-views." He chuckled, seemingly unaware of the complicated air between the girls.

"That's good. Would you mind if I joined in?" She asked, though she watched Indigo for a response.

"If you want." He chuckled. Indigo patted the spot beside her on the couch. A rush of relief hit the girl. As if a weight was lifted from her.

"Give me a second to change and I'll be back." She said, heading toward her room. The exhaustion suddenly felt heavier, as if that anxious feeling had been holding her all day. She hadn't even thought of the possibility. A niggling doubt in the back of her head. Indigo wasn't pushing her away.

She tossed off her uniform and quickly changed into something more comfortable. A baggy shirt and her pajama shorts. It made no difference what she threw on, she was just ready to be out of her uniform.

Sunny stretched, yawning again before heading back to the living room. Indigo looked up, moving a pillow to let her sit more comfortably. She took the offered spot, gently sitting beside Indigo to not suddenly move her accidentally.

"So, what have you been watching?" She asked.

"Just a bunch of old shows. Some of Michiru's best and Ronin's debut in the states." Solar said. "I'll put one on, and start dinner." He pressed a few buttons and stood.

Indigo glanced over to Sunny "Sorry." She said quietly. "Didn't mean to go radio silent on you."

"Don't apologize. You only made me worry a little." She lied. "I'm glad you're talking to us again…"

"Right…" Indigo chuckled softly, putting an arm around her shoulders. "I'll still apologize." She insisted with the side hug.

Sunny leaned against her shoulder. "I was scared you'd stop talking to us." She admitted.

"I figured. You looked shocked when I spoke up." Indigo said with a frown. "I didn't mean to make you worry. I just…didn't want you to see me like this. For whatever dumb reason, I feel like I can't be this…helpless mess. Especially around you girls…or your family. Anyone."

"Everyone needs help from time to time. I thought we were past this." Sunny said tiredly. "I'm just glad you're not shutting me out."

"Sorry…" She repeated quietly. "At least I noticed I was making you worry this time, right?" She asked with a weak chuckle.

"You've grown a lot." Sunny assured her with a smile.

A comfortable silence fell between them, the sound of cooking food in the other room and a faint smell of the meat being grilled was pushed aside. The familiar scent of Sunny's perfume was easing Indigo's concerns. The closeness of the girl helped as well. 'I really shouldn't make her worry like that…' She chastised herself. 'I'll be back on my feet in a few weeks.'

Sunny shifted gently, Indigo felt her lean more into her. The jock looked over, Sunny's eyes had drifted closed and she was resting against her now.

"Did you fall asleep?" She asked quietly. Obviously no response came from the actress. Indigo smiled softly, resting her cheek against her crown as she held her. A rare chance to show some form of affection. She was far more physical than verbal, telling her 'thanks' was fine, but showing her that she appreciated her was optimal.

Sunny might have teased her if she just gave her a genuine hug out of nowhere. 'Would that be so bad?' She asked herself. If that was the cost to have more moments like this? Was this something she wanted more of? She certainly didn't mind.


Lightning sat on her bed, back against the wall. She reached for her phone, typing out a message. Moments later she got a reply back.

"Sorry, I'm not in a good place." Lightning sent, rereading it as she opened the reply.

"It's okay. Can I help you at all?" Moondancer's icon sat beside the message.

"I want to see you." She sent, her heart beating out of her chest. She needed help. It was time to put aside the funny feelings or at least confront them after she was out of this funk.

She pushed off the bed, heading to the door. She'd been there for Moondancer when she was outed, and Moondancer had been there for her first mental break in a long time.

"See you soon." Moondancer replied, as she grabbed her keys. It was late afternoon, but not quite night-time yet. She knew where to head. Lightning didn't drive, so they'd usually meet around where she lived. It was a short drive, luckily.

She pulled up to the gym, Lightning hopping in the passenger seat. "Hey." She offered with a small frown.

"It's nice to see you." Moondancer said, "How have you been?"

"It's been rough." She sighed. "Roll means well, but I'm expecting her to message me whenever she feels like I've had enough time." She admitted. "Plus not seeing you girls in a while has been tough."

Moondancer nodded, glancing over as she drove. "We've missed having you around. Octavia told me that she had to talk Roll down from going to talk to Indigo."

"She what?!" Light asked, sitting up.

"Hold your horses. Roll was convinced that if Indigo were to tell you that there were no hard feelings was the quickest way to help you feel better." She explained. "There is some logic in her plan. She was just trying to help."

"She's an idiot." Light sighed. "Remind me to smooth things over with her, okay?" She asked, crossing her arms.

"Of course. You know, I'm glad you two have your strangely sibling-like relationship."

"She hits on me too often to be 'sibling-like'." Light noted.

Moondancer giggled. "You're right. But you two are pretty close. You know Lyra is jealous."

"She is? Aw man. I can't even keep friends without stressing someone out." She sighed.

"I'm sure she understands that you have different friends with different interests. It'd be like her expecting you to go on ghost hunts with us." She shrugged.

"I'm disowning both of you if you bring something back from one of those hunts. Fuck ghosts." Light said with a small smirk.

"Hey, I managed a smirk." She said with a smile.

"You always find a way to cheer me up…" Light admitted. "I appreciate it."

"I like your smile more than your frown. You have a very pretty smile." Moondancer said as she watched the road.

Light blushed lightly. "You're the one flirting now? Can I just be a sulky girl and not attract attention?"

"Sorry, that ship sailed when you stuck up for me. I was trapped from there forward." She teased.

"I mean…I did ask you out to Vinyl's concert." She admitted. "But I feel like I've dragged my feet since then."

"I didn't feel that-" She began.

"I suck at this, you're gonna get annoyed with me." Light spoke up.

"I'll get annoyed if you keep talking down about yourself."

"Sorry. I'm still not used to people finding me worth anything." She shrugged.

Moondancer pulled up to a building. "You should talk to someone…but that discussion is for another day."

"Why are we at Lyra's place?" She asked.

"They'll let us have space to talk. Both of our places aren't the best right now." Moondancer said. "Plus, I bet Lyra would be a good face for you to see after so long alone." She smiled.

Lightning blushed lightly and sighed. "You know me too well…" She admitted, leaning forward, surprising the bookworm with a peck on the forehead. "You're too good to me, you know that?"

Moondancer's normally pale complexion was a deep red, as she stammered a reply. "Y-Y-"

"Breathe, Moondancer." She teased, smiling softly. 'If you think talking to someone will help me, maybe I'll actually listen for once.' She thought, reaching for the door.

"Y-You're just gonna do that with no warning?" Moondancer asked.

"I suck at this stuff. You're gonna have to help me out." Light admitted again. "Unless you're not interested."

"I am! I mean…we'll work on it together." She said quietly, her glasses fogged up from her embarrassment.

'Wow, that actually happens in real life? Thought that was an anime thing..' Light mused as they exited the car. Moondancer found her spot beside her as they walked, the jock offering her hand before they made it to the door.

Lyra and BonBon were the first to find out, fittingly. Moondancer watched as Lyra teased Lightning, the funk seemingly far in the past with how those two acted. It was as if nothing had happened.

"Y'know…maybe Roll was right." Light said as she took her seat beside Moondancer.

"About?"

"Well, her ideas are usually stupid. So fair question." Light chuckled. "Maybe I do need to talk to Indigo…"

PreviousChapters Next