• Published 30th Sep 2020
  • 987 Views, 287 Comments

Help - WittyNameTFM

  • ...
1
 287
 987

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 43. Confrontation

Author's Note:

Hope you guys enjoy something that's a long time coming. Thank you all for reading and woooo! It happened everyone!

A comfortable afternoon breeze brushed past the athlete. Indigo wandered the street headed away from her gym. Getting back into the swing of things was taking longer than she'd liked. Granted, she was able to walk again, some people didn't do so well after an injury like the one she went through. Much less in the amount of time she took.

‘Well, I mean, things could always have gone worse..’ She thought as she rounded a corner. She hummed as she looked around, it was still early… She headed down the route toward a nearby convenience store. Her mind wandered back over the events of the past year or so.

‘Geez, what a ride…’ She chuckled to herself. ‘I owe a lot to everyone. Sunny especially, but I don't think I'd be where I am without the girls or heck, even Aria. For that brief time, I guess. Did I ever thank her?’ She wondered. ‘I had to…right?’ She crossed her arms as she tried to recall.

Indigo sighed, adding that to her to-do list as she looked over the snacks. She grabbed a bag of chips and a sports drink, paid and left the store. She took a sip before freezing in place.

Before her stood one of two people she'd never wanted to see again. “Hello sweetie.” The woman spoke. A chill ran up Indigo's arms.

“Mother.” She said with a frown.


“Sunny, you feeling okay? Autumn asked, taking her place on stage. “You seem off today.”

“I dunno, I just got this sinking feeling in my gut.” She admitted, resting a hand on her stomach. “Something just feels wrong.” She frowned, a twisting unease tensed through her body.

“Maybe we should take five then?” She suggested, sitting aside the prop sword.

“I, yeah. That's probably for the best. Thank you.” Sunny said with a half smile, but whatever it was that was bothering her wasn't going away.

“You wanna fill the time with chatter or should I leave you alone?” She asked with a cheerful smile.

“Oh, Autumn, you're such a sweetheart. What would you like to discuss?” She chuckled.

“Well, your swordplay has improved incredibly. Our fencing scene should look very authentic.”

“I did spend a semester on the fencing team. I couldn't manage both it and theater, though I'm impressed with your skill.” She admitted.

“My uncle taught me! He's…what most people would call ‘eccentric.’” She said, making the quotes with her fingers. “I just think he's a goofball.”

“Why would they say that?”

“Well, he's just got a lot of weird interests. Bug collecting and rock tumbling, last I checked he was studying smithing.” She thought aloud. “But combine that with him also being pretty proficient with a sword. I think he has more fun exploring different things than sticking to one and only one thing.” She shrugged.

“I suppose. It sounds like he'd burn himself out before too long.” Sunny giggled. The conversation flowed so naturally, yet the unease in her gut still persisted.


“What do you want?” Indigo asked, tensing up as the woman approached.

“Honey, I just want to see my little girl.”

“Fuck off with that. You lost the right to call me that when you didn't stop that bastard from hitting me.” She huffed.

“Is that any way to talk to your mother? This is the kind of person you're becoming while living with that family?”

“Don't even bring them into this. What do you think you're gonna get out of this? You know you're not supposed to come near me.” She stepped back.

“Oh, come now. Nothing can stop a determined mother.”

Indigo huffed, stepping back forward. ‘You're not scared of her! Stand your ground.’ She told herself. “So here we are. What do you want?” She crossed her arms.

“I want my family back of course. You'll come to your father's trial and testify that it was a misunderstanding-”

“Are you…out of your goddamn mind?!” Indigo cut her off.

“I don't appreciate your language, young lady. I'm your mother. You will do as I say.”

“Or what?” Indigo asked simply. “You'll make me? How do you figure you'll do that, champ?” She asked with a raised eyebrow. “You just think I'll jump when you say to? Get the fuck outta here.”

“I'll make sure you're pulled from that home and left to the streets if I have to. You-”

“And we're done with this conversation.” Indigo interrupted again. “You seem to think you still have some form of power over me. Let me clarify that right now.” She took a step toward her. “You brought me into this world, then stopped caring about my well-being. I blew the whistle and you don't like that. I got out, but you're just upset that your perfect little lie was exposed. While you bragged about and took credit for my accomplishments, I watched my words. My steps. To make sure your squeaky clean life stays beautiful.” Each point was emphasized with a step that made the older woman back up. “I am living my life without you or him and I'd rather die than let that piece of shit off. Hell, I'm beyond pissed that you're walking free!” She seethed. Violetta opened her mouth to speak but was cut off again.

“Good job with that by the way. You know that Su knows about it now. So that shit won't happen again.” Balled fists at her side shook in her anger. She felt a dark twinge on the back of her neck. Static, maybe…but it grounded her momentarily.

“You really are just like him.”

The words stopped Indigo cold.

“You have every bit of his anger. Whether you want to claim your family or not, that will never leave you. I hope your little girlfriend doesn't have to suffer your temper tantrums.”

Her eye twitched, flashes back to when they were just getting to know one another. The day she relived in her head constantly. Sunny's flinching reaction and scared expression were burned into her memory. She felt a wetness in her eye.

“Oh, honey. Don't cry.” Violetta frowned, though her mocking tone egged Indigo's ire on.

“I'M NOTHING LIKE HIM!” She shouted.

“And there it is.” The woman smirked. “You'll never be rid of us. Like it or not, we'll always be your parents. You really should get that anger taken care of. Before you do something you'll regret.”

“What's that supposed to mean?”

“Your father did many things he came to regret. Having children was one of them. Did you know he knocked up some other woman?” She asked. “You have a sister out there, honey.”

She shook her head. “So why are you trying to defend him if our lives were a mistake to him?”

“You do a lot of things for the people you love.” She shrugged.

“Y-You're…” Indigo grit her teeth. “You're so fucked in the head if that makes sense to you. Holy shit.”

“Well, since this is getting me nowhere, I'm leaving.” She said flatly.

“I never want to see you again.” Indigo sighed. “You're just as bad as he is. Whatever hopes you have for your family to come back? Consider them dead. You're nothing to me. Nothing but a bad memory that I'd love nothing more than to forget about.”

“Well, you sure know how to break your mother's heart.” She said with faux sadness.

“Oh, I think you're only just starting to feel the pain you deserve.” She added, reaching into her pocket. “You've got five minutes.” She added, tapping the screen on her phone.

“Are you really going to-”

“Call them on you again? Absolutely.” She said, holding the phone up.

“This is Shining Armor, how are you Indigo?” A voice asked.

“Well, I'm a bit confused. Didn't you say you told Violetta Zap not to come near me?” She asked.

“I did…has she made contact with you?” He asked.

“Well, mother, have you? Have you stopped me in front of the Q&G convenience store?” She asked, turning her attention to the sputtering woman.

“Y-You-!”

“I'm on my way.” Shining Armor said before hanging up. A distant siren coming to life.

“I can't-”

“Yeah, I figured you wouldn't be able to. You already got away with it. You only had to leave me alone, but your dumb ass came to me directly. Did you expect me to just get over that whole…abuse thing?” She asked.

The older woman turned, heading down the sidewalk at a rushed pace.

“Pretty sure that's fleeing!” She called after her. “...Bitch.” She mumbled to herself. The adrenaline started to wear off as she watched her try to rush off. Her body felt more tired than before, but she also felt lighter…like a great weight was lifted from her shoulders.

‘I need a nap…’ She thought, looking down at the sidewalk as a police car passed by her. A lot happened in such a short amount of time. Indigo had so much to digest. She examined her hand. ‘I'm not like him…’ She told herself before snapping back, having to describe the scene to Officer Armor, who was now loading her mom into the back of his car.

She'd call Sunny right after, of course.


Sunny's wrist phone buzzed, Autumn glancing over. “You never get calls when we're doing practice.”

“Yeah, it's gotta be important…” She tapped the button, “Hello?”

“Hey, Sunny?”

“Hey Indigo, you don't normally call around now, everything okay?”

“Well…”

Autumn and Sunny sat, flabbergasted as Indigo retold the event.

“She did what?!” Sunny balked.

“It's okay. I'm okay.” Indigo said with a resigned sigh. “Though, admittedly, I uh…”

Autumn pretended to not be paying attention to the call, suddenly finding the ceiling to be very interesting.

“I kinda want to see you…if that's okay.”

“Of course it's okay, Indigo. I'll be home soon.” She promised before the call ended. “Autumn,”

“Go to her.” The junior said dramatically, extending her hand toward the door of the theater.

“...I like the energy, thanks for understanding.” She giggled as she grabbed her things.


Indigo looked up as the door opened to her room. She sat on the bed, hugging her knees, her brace sat discarded on the floor. Sunny peeked her head in, “I'm home…”

“Welcome back.” Indigo said with a weak smile. “Sorry.”

“Don't be.” She smiled back, sitting her bag down before sitting beside her. “Wanna talk?” She asked.

Indigo shook her head, leaning against Sunny, who put her arm around her. “In a minute…I’m just still wound up, I guess.”

“I'm here…” She said simply.

“I actually got to get a lot of stuff off my chest to her.” Indigo said with a tired smile. “She still had me rattled…”

“Tell me more about it. What got you ‘rattled’?”

“Well, for one thing…apparently I have a sister out there somewhere.”

“Really? That's…well, that's something we can face together.”

“I'm glad you're so willing to help me carry my baggage.” Indigo chuckled.

“Well, you've got a bad wheel, I don't mind.” She teased, resting her hand on the girl's knee.

Indigo rolled her eyes. “Time and place, dude.” She sighed, faking hurt.

“Oh, I'm sorry.” She giggled, squeezing her into a hug. “I'll make it up to you when you're feeling up to it. For now, is there anything else I can help you with?”

“...Yeah.” She mumbled. “Violetta said that…that I have his anger.” She went back to staring down at the bed. “And…it's really getting to me.”

“Indigo, everyone has a hot streak in them sometimes-”

“No, you don't get it. I mean like, I was so mad that I could have knocked her out if I wasn't stopped. It's not like I haven't had those outbursts before…” She frowned. “Way back when we first started talking…”

“I know what you're going to bring up.”

“You looked scared, Sunny.” She mumbled. “I can't…I don't…” She sniffed, realizing her eyes had begun to water again. “I don't want to ever put you in that position…”

Sunny held her as the ball of nerves slowly melted into her embrace. She gently rubbed her back as she cried into her chest. “I know you Indigo. More than you seem to know yourself…” She said, “The Indigo I know is a kind hearted person, who loves sappy romance stories and really cool and edgy video games.” She chuckled.

Indigo remained quiet as she spoke.

“She's a sweetheart who loves her friends unconditionally and pushes herself, a little too hard at times, to be the best version of herself. Not only for her own growth, but to help encourage other people to do the same.” The jock lifted her head to look up at Sunny.

“She's my best friend and the person I trust my heart with…” Sunny said, blushing lightly. “Someone I had to learn about…and the person I'm most happy to be with. She can get in her head sometimes, but only because she wants to make sure she's doing what her heart tells her is the right thing to do, and so far? I think she's got a pretty good track record.” She smiled down at her.

“And as for your temper, we can always watch it together. For you to be ‘stuck’ with the family you were born to…you seem to be doing a lot without them. Therapy, a job, a special interest that you chose, an ever-growing network of supportive friends, a girlfriend…and a loving family to go along with all that. I think you've proven yourself the exception to the rule already.”

Sunny was caught off guard as Indigo pushed up on the bed, moving forward to give her a gentle, albeit brief kiss. Both girls were red in the face, their proximity seemed to only now register. Indigo cleared her throat nervously.

“My uh…m-my heart told me that that was the right thing to do…” She said sheepishly.

Sunny giggled. “You're so cute, you know that?”

“Man…only ‘cute’? Guess it wasn't romantic enough…”

“You're getting in your own head again, Indy.”

“Right…sorry.” She chuckled.

“Besides…” Sunny cupped her chin and pulled her into another kiss, it held for a few moments longer, but with the inexperience of both the girls…they only knew the basics.

“W-Woah…” Indigo mumbled.

“I'm glad your heart agreed with mine.” Sunny giggled.

Indigo lowered herself back down to lay on top of Sunny, who gently ran her fingers through her hair.

“Thanks for always picking me back up…”

“You do the same for me, it's the least I could do for you.”

“Thanks Sunny. You mean so much to me…” She closed her eyes, just resting with her girlfriend.

‘We're almost there, she probably thinks it's too early to use the ‘l’ word.’ Sunny chuckled inwardly.

“You mean the world to me, Indy.” She returned the sentiment.

“I'm still having a hard time with the ‘sister’ thing…” She admitted after a few moments of silence. She hadn't even attempted to move her head from its resting place.

“I wonder what she's like.” Sunny said.


“A-Achoo~!” Lightning groaned, wiping her nose. “Dammit.”

“You have a cute sneeze.” Moondancer teased, looking up from her book.

“Shut up…” The taller girl huffed.

“That was two sneezes in a short amount of time, you're not feeling ill are you?” She asked.

“I don't think so?” Light shrugged. “Maybe it's something in the air.”

“Maybe someone's talking about you?”

“I'll bet it's Roll. She doesn't shut up.”

PreviousChapters Next