• Published 30th Sep 2020
  • 987 Views, 287 Comments

Help - WittyNameTFM

  • ...
1
 287
 987

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 28. Recuperating

The next few days were quiet, Sunny gave updates to the girls, but mostly spent her time after school helping Indigo around the house. Or rather stopping her from trying to get around without help.

"I swear…the girl won't even take the time to rest up before trying to use the crutches." Sunny groaned against the table. The sight was becoming more common to the others. Sunny had her head down, her arms extended across the table. The, arguably, most 'proper' of the group was showing off the duality of her home life. Or at least showing it more outwardly. The Sunny that Indigo hinted at seeing at home was seeming more and more accurate.

"You should expect that by now." Sugarcoat said flatly. "It surprises me more that you're surprised."

"C'mon. Her leg is in a brace and she still wants to do everything on her own?" She sighed. "She's just stubborn at this point."

"And that's one of her best qualities." Lemon teased. "Although if she asks, change 'stubborn' to 'tenacious'."

"Any chance we could visit her soon?" Sour asked, looking up from the notes she was copying.

"I'll check. She's been a lot more lively, so maybe." Sunny pushed up to rest her cheek on her folded arms.

"It's a good thing that she's getting along with your parents. I figured it'd be tough for her." Sour noted.

"It is, but she's giving them a chance. She and dad get along really well. I'm glad." She smiled.


"So, what's the plan, Light?" Roll asked, leaning against the wall beside the sitting girl.

"Gonna ask Moondancer to set up a time," She spoke up. "Said she ran into Indigo's friend and they had a chat. So if we can get some face time, I'll tell her to her face."

"So, what I said you should do?" Roll asked flatly.

"A broken clock is right twice a day." She shrugged.

"Wh-" She crossed her arms. "That phrase, like, barely applies to this situation." She huffed.

Lightning shrugged. "I can't give you the satisfaction of being right. What do you want me to say?" She asked.

"I'd like you to acknowledge that I was correct and was doing more than annoying you when you were sulking."

"I'll do one of those." Light smirked. "Take it or leave it."

"Fine."

"Thanks for sticking by me." She pushed up to stand. "Sorry for being such a shitty person."

"Enough with that. Yer not the same person ya was yesterday." Roll punched her arm. "And I've only known the you who isn't proud of the you you used to be." She shook her head. "Now I'm the one failing at talking… Listen, just don't go back to the person you hated to be. As long as you're bettering yourself, that's all I need."

"Dude. Your heartfelt speech just fell apart."

"Yes, thank you. For pointing at it and laughing." She huffed. "I was trying to sound cool-"

"And you failed, pretty hard." Light teased. "But I appreciate the attempt."

"So, when are we going?" She asked.

"We?"

"You think you're gonna go alone or something?" She asked, tilting her head.

"I suppose it would be too much to ask." Light sighed.

"Another thing, why'd I have to find out about you and Moondancer from Octavia? You'd think you'd tell your best friend." She huffed.

"Lyra was there."

Roll exaggeratedly gasped. "How dare-"

"I'm kidding. But the best friend thing needs to stop." She chuckled. "You're really making her worry that she's losing a close friend. The two of you need to talk."

"She thinks it's serious?" Roll asked. "Well damn, can't have that." She scratched the back of her head. "One thing at a time."


The buzz of her phone drew the injured athlete’s eye. She reached over to check it as the tv played an old wrestling match.

'Hey, the girls wanna come see you. Think you're up for it?'

Indigo tensed up, Sunny seeing her like this is one thing…but everyone?

"You okay, Indigo?" Solar asked.

"Huh? Oh…Sunny is asking if I could see the others…"

"Not feeling up to it?" He asked, tilting his head. "You're already doing a lot better than when you got back."

"I just-," She sighed. "It sounds stupid when I say it like this. I don't know if I want the others to see me so…" She looked down at her leg. "Weak."

"Weak? You think that getting hurt is a weakness?" He asked. "You're human, kiddo. Everyone stumbles at some point."

"I know, I know…unhealthy expectations." She sighed. "I just don't want them to see me as…y'know, fragile or something."

"Well, this may just be a me thing, but I think that the people who are willing to be there for you when you're at your lowest, and stay by your side throughout it, are the people you can trust with your fears." He said. "When I was in service, I had a few friends that visited me when I was in the med bay-"

"You got hurt over there?" She asked.

"A couple small injuries. A few breaks, bullets." He chuckled. "Don't get me sidetracked. Those guys are still my best friends. We play board games and tabletop games to this day."

"So, it didn't freak you out knowing that they could see you in the hospital bed every time they looked at you?" She asked.

"Not really. I was more happy to know they cared enough to come see me." He smiled softly. "I always saw each injury as a challenge that I overcame. I had a wife and a little girl to come home to."

Indigo looked down at her phone, contemplating how she should respond. "You don't mind them coming over, do you?" She asked.

"Of course not, Indigo. It'll do you some good to talk with them. Plus, you can tell them how you're doing in your own words." He said. "That'd put everyone's mind at ease. At least, that's my opinion." He shrugged.

"You might be right…" She sighed. "I've gotta rip this bandaid at some point. Can't exactly avoid them for the full recovery time."

"Yeah, it was around 6 months, right? I don't think anyone would be happy with you avoiding them that long." He noted.

"Mm. Yeah. That'd be rough." She admitted, typing out her reply. 'Sure, I think I'll be fine.' She exhaled. "Welp. Better prepare myself."

"You're probly overthinking it." He chuckled.

"I have a habit of doing that." She shrugged.

"You're getting better though." He assured.


The final bell rang and Sunny stood. 'School seems so empty when Indigo isn't here…' She thought as she packed her things. She tapped at the screen on her wrist and saw the message. She quickly typed out a message to the girls, telling them to meet up before they split up to go home for the day.

Another message buzzed as she started down the hall. Lifting her arm to read it, it was a message from the quiet girl she'd met the other day. Moondancer.

'Would it be okay if Lightning came to see Indigo? She wants to apologize face to face.'

Sunny blinked. 'Indigo doesn't blame her, it was an accident.' She thought, but started to type. 'I don't think she has anything to apologize for, but I'll ask and get back to you, okay?' She reread it, making sure it didn't sound dismissive, it wouldn't do to be rude to someone only trying to help.

'Thank you!'

Sunny sighed. Moondancer seemed very concerned about Lightning the last time they spoke.


"Thanks for taking the time." Moondancer said with a small smile.

"No worries, you're friends with Lightning Dust?" Sunny asked as they walked.

"I am. I um, well, I wanted to know how Indigo was doing." She said quietly. "Lightning is beating herself up over this, she's had some uh, history with physical altercations. She does her best to avoid them now…hurting people really messes with her." She spoke with a frown. "We can tell her it was an accident all we want, but to her…"

"I think I understand." Sunny frowned as well. "She's keeping to herself at the moment, but I think it's out of her perceived 'image'." She explained. "Indigo had a rough upbringing…looking 'weak' in front of people isn't something she's prepared for."

"I can tell her that she's doing well, right? Maybe that'll help pull her out of her funk…" Moondancer thought aloud.

"I believe so. Indigo doesn't have any ill will toward her, though I doubt just telling her that won't be enough." Sunny chuckled softly.

"Sounds like we're dealing with pretty similar girls." Moondancer giggled.

"Oh, here's my number, if you want to talk sometime."

"Good idea!" Moondancer fished out her phone.


Sunny opened the door, leading her friends into her home. Indigo sat on the couch, her leg still wrapped and resting across the table in front of her. She waved with a tired smile.

"Indy!" Lemon cheered rushing to sit beside her, she hugged her tight. "I've missed you!"

"Easy, Lemon!" She chuckled, but returned the hug with one arm.

Sugarcoat took a seat, gingerly, on the side with her injured leg. She reached over to hug the athlete as well. "It's been too long, Indigo. Don't make us worry like that again." She offered, blushing lightly at her own show of affection.

"Wh-What's all this about?" Indigo asked, but felt two more arms wrap around her shoulders. Sour stood behind her, hugging her head gently.

"Shut up and let us have this. We miss you." She barked, annoyed…though her actions betrayed her.

Sunny smiled softly watching the girls fluster Indigo. "W-Wait! You girls shouldn't be worrying about me, I'm fine!" She tried to assure them.

"You've literally been radio silent since the injury!" Lemon huffed.

"We've been all over Sunny ever since for any updates." Sugarcoat added.

"She was always vague. Said she wasn't sure what you wanted us to know." Sour supplied.

"Aww, thanks Sunny." Indigo said with a small smile.

Sunny shrugged with a smile as well. "It's almost like I know you or something."

"Tell us everything." Sour grumbled. "When can we see you around again?"

"In a little while. I'll be getting some rehab to get my leg back to working order…but this injury will be a few months total…" She said, looking down at the bandages. The scar beneath will be a constant reminder.

"Indigo, would it be okay if someone else came by this afternoon?" Sunny asked, looking down at her wrist again. "Lightning wanted to apologize to you."

Indigo tilted her head. "For what?"

"She's blaming herself for this."

"But it was an accident-"

"So she's been told…but this may just help her get over it." Sunny said with a small frown. "From what I've been told, she's really beating herself up over this."

Indigo thought for a moment. "Sure. Let's settle this for her." She nodded.

"I'll message her." Sunny nodded as well.


A young woman stepped out of the doors of the facility. She rubbed her wrists, looking around. Her electric blue hair seemed to have faded from her time being incarcerated.

"We'll begin your discharge right here, ma'am." The clerk spoke. She approached the counter and he read off her paperwork. "You're to report to your counselor every wednesday, this isn't negotiable. You have to maintain a clean record for the next year, that means zero infractions." The man spoke. "We will throw you right back in there if you slip up. Are we clear?"

She nodded tiredly. "Yes, sir."

"Everything is in your exit packet, I hope we don't have to meet again, have a good day, Ms. Zap." He said, handing over the papers.

She took them, exiting the facility to meet a similar looking young woman. A sibling perhaps.

"Oh, sweetie, I'm so glad you're finally out." She said with a smile.

"How did you get the bail money?" The younger asked as they entered the car.

"Oh, my darling Supernova couldn't let her favorite aunt be sent to prison on such ludicrous allegations." She said, waving her hand. "Honestly, your daughter should be ashamed of herself, trying to pull that kind of stunt."

"Where…is Indigo?"

Author's Note:

A little late this time. I've been caught up in a lot of projects. I'll do better about setting time aside from here on. I hope you like some more set up and returns. Also revealing the name of Indigo's cousin...:pinkiegasp:

Thanks for reading!

PreviousChapters Next