• Published 30th Sep 2020
  • 986 Views, 287 Comments

Help - WittyNameTFM

  • ...
1
 287
 986

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 2. Homelife

Sunny returned home and took a seat at the desk in her room. At home, she didn't need to be the best. She wasn't a 'perfect student', she was just Sunny. Her parents appreciated her hard work on all her papers and tests, but proudly boasted about the awards she earned, awards that she now had adorning her walls for script writing; “Best Actress” trophies sat upon shelves beside her. She sighed, looking back at the notes they'd shared.

'Where were the mistakes she saw? I don't understand.' She thought as her eyes darted across the words. There were no spelling errors, and Indigo's handwriting was really neat and tidy.

"Sunny? Did you get home already?" Her mother's voice called from the other room.

"Yes, mother." She hopped up, walking to the kitchen. "Apparently Indigo's plans changed. We had barely started and she just up and left." She crossed her arms. "Who does that?"

"Maybe it was something important?" The older woman suggested as she pulled a knife from the drawer. "Maybe you could invite her over for dinner sometime, she might have not had a good meal at the mall."

"And make that poor girl eat your cooking? I'd rather not put her through that." Sunny teased.

"Hey! I'm a great cooker."

"Chef."

"Chef!" The elder Flare said before they both giggled.

"I dunno. Maybe inviting her over wouldn't be such a bad idea, I think I should get to know her better first." Sunny thought aloud.

"So did you have other plans, or did you dress to impress this girl?"

"And just what are you implying, mother?"

"You look super cute. Dunno why you'd need to if all you planned on was homework." She shrugged.

"Maybe I wanted to show off a little." She admitted, poking her index fingers together. "School uniforms don't let us express ourselves as much as I'd like."

"That makes sense." She nodded, looking at the recipe once again before cutting up slices of lemons.

"I'm gonna be in my room if you need me." Sunny turned to exit the kitchen.

"Oh, when your father gets home, he wanted to talk to you about your bracelet computer thingie."

"You could just call it a smart watch. The only difference is that it's screen is a bit bigger, and likely has more functionality and apps, but outside of that it's basically the same thing." She explained. "Did he want to do maintenance on it?"

"Not sure, he just asked me to remind you."

Sunny shrugged before returning to her room.

***

"Where were you?" Her father's voice asked as Indigo stepped into the house.

"I was working on a school project."

"Uh huh…" He said skeptically. The man sat in the living room, Indigo passed by him to sit on the couch. He wore his work clothes, a nice dress shirt and his black slacks, minus the tie that was likely with his suit jacket on the rack behind him. "I wake up and you're suddenly out doing homework?"

"Dad-"

"Enough. If you're going to work on school work do it in your room or at school. Do you want to actually get into college or are you going to sleep around until someone pities you enough to give you a free ride?"

"B-But it wasn't-"

"Go to your room, I don't want to hear you." He said, leaning down to pull his shoes on.

Indigo sighed, looking down. "Okay."

"If I come home and you're out, you better be at school or practice, understand?"

"I understand." She mumbled almost robotically, standing to return to her room.

"Your mother will be home later. If she says you've gone out again, there will be consequences."

Indigo glided through the house, not feeling any of the steps she took. She closed her bedroom door behind her, resting her back against it.

Indigo slid down to sit on the floor, hugging her knees. Consequences. What did that mean? She pondered the word, looking up to see her belongings. The dents and holes in her walls from her father's previous explosions. She didn't have a bruise to hide yet, but she couldn't put it past him, anything she cared about was already torn from her, what else could 'consequences' mean?

She hid her face behind her folded arms, resolving not to leave for the rest of the day. She couldn't afford her computer being broken, or any of her electronics for that matter.

Her pocket buzzed, a new message. Indigo took out her phone and checked the sender. 'Sunny?'

'Hey, if you're not busy, let's get some work done. We can video call if that's easier.'

'I can't let her see me like this. Who knows what she’ll think...' She told herself. 'She might cause trouble for mom and dad.'

'I'm not at home right now, sorry. Didn't mean to dip out so early.' She typed out, hitting send after rereading it twice, making sure she hadn't shared anything that might trigger a flag or two.

A few minutes passed before her phone buzzed again.

'Whatever it is, make sure we can work on this after class. The sooner we're done, the sooner you can be rid of me.'

'Don't worry. We'll get back to it. I won't drag you down.'

***

Sunny lifted a brow. 'I never said she was dragging me down since that first-' She sighed. 'Maybe I was too harsh.'

She typed out her next message, reading it multiple times before ultimately deciding to start over.

'Listen, if you have anything big going on, can it wait until this project is finished? Then you can go back to whatever it is. All I'm asking for is enough time to work on this, nothing more.'

***

'The damn thing just got assigned. We have time, why is she acting like I've been avoiding doing it?'

'We'll do it Monday.' She sent, holding back the rant she wanted to spew. Making her partner mad would only make the project more of a pain to finish.

Indigo pushed off the floor, grabbing some clothes to change. Pajamas would do, apparently she wasn't going anywhere today.

She took a seat on her bed, hugging her knees again. 'I'll finish this project and then get back to practice. The tennis club has a game coming up.' She told herself, glancing around at her room.

She had her twin sized bed in the center, where she sat, a tv stand across from her with a couple game systems, trophies and medals on the shelves lining the walls, and on top of her dresser. Aside from the clothes she'd just tossed off, her room was clean. She eyed the controller for a moment, before just sliding down to a lying position.

Her eyes drifted closed. Nothing else appealed to her, she wasn't interested in tv or movies or games. She didn't feel like doing anything, but sleep was a great way to make that time pass.

'Another wasted Saturday. You could be being productive, you could be exercising, you could be studying. You should be studying, you idiot. How is it that you're in the top five of Crystal Prep? They must have lowered the standards.' The voice in her head droned on. She knew she was wasting a free day from school, but what else did she want to do? Nothing. Existing alone was tiring enough.

'Just let me sleep. No one needs me anyway. Well, I guess that project needs me to be there for it.' She thought. 'Then I won't be wasting her time also.'

She pulled the blankets over her head to block out the light. 'Do my teammates actually need me? Why am I even here if no one wants me to be? No! Dammit you're stronger than this. Do. Not. Listen.'

***

"Ugh, I ask her if we can finish up today's work and she goes radio silent on me? How childish can you be?" Sunny scoffed, looking down at her phone. Her father sat at his work bench, fiddling with her accessories.

"Honey, you don't know what sorts of pressures another person has in their life." He said. "Why, my coworker just lost his grandfather, he chose to work the past few days because he just can't sit still, he needed to be active to work through his grief." He explained. "He's still as thoughtful and kind as ever, but if you look closely, the light that was in his eyes has faded. Faded, but not vanished. One day he will be back to normal, but normal is never the same after a big event like that." He chuckled. "Am I making sense?"

"I think so. Basically, don't judge her for being closed off because I can't know what she has going on." She sighed. "Well then, I'll just have to find out then, won't I?"

"Honey, I don't think that's the lesson to take away from this, but by all means, sometimes a friend is more helpful than you could ever know."

"Pft," She scoffed. "There are no friends at CPA. Cinch forbids it."

"That stuffy old bag can deal with it."

"Dad!" She giggled.

Author's Note:

Chapter two! I'm nervous about getting into the drama bits. I hope I still have everyone's attention. I'll always be nervous about new chapters. Hope you enjoyed it!

PreviousChapters Next