• Published 30th Sep 2020
  • 987 Views, 287 Comments

Help - WittyNameTFM

  • ...
1
 287
 987

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 40. Not An Outsider

Author's Note:

I'll be honest,I was just having fun letting the characters interact. I haven't had as much time to do that with the drama of previous chapters. Hope you like this one and thanks for reading!

Starlight walked the halls of Crystal Prep, another Monday, another start to the week. Her weekend was eventful, the girls really embraced her with open arms. Not only did they eat on friday at that cool old school diner, she got invited to watch movies at Sunny's place and she had what Lemon referred to as a 'jam session' where she and Sour chatted while Lemon played songs on her drums by ear.

'Each one of them has something they're good at.' She thought before tilting her head. 'Sugarcoat and Sour are still a mystery. Indigo was the jock, wonder what she's doing now.' She hummed as she thought.

"Oh hey, it's the new girl." A student spoke up, catching her attention.

A much taller girl with white hair looked over from what she was doing. Starlight could tell she was the leader of that group, a fading bruise marred her left eye and right cheek.

"Leave her alone." She said dismissively.

"Really? You're not as much fun anymore, Royal." The shorter girl whined.

"Shut up. No one's making you hang out with me." She huffed.

"Yeah, ever since you got your butt kicked-" The girl froze at the glare that the taller girl shot her, she felt the words die on her tongue.

"I'll give you a matching one if you keep running your mouth. Got it?"

"G-Got it…" She shrank back.

"KEEP WALKING, NEW GIRL." Royal spat in Starlight's direction, she jolted and quickly ran off.

'What was her problem?' She asked herself, glancing back as she moved. 'Maybe someone will know why she's so crabby.'

She entered the lunch room, the place students would usually hang out at when they were waiting for the first bell to ring…or if they got the school's breakfasts.

Sour sat at the table, writing something in a notebook as she waited for the others. "Morning!" She waved as she approached.

Sour looked up, closing the book as Starlight joined her. "Good morning, you're here early."

"I could say the same to you. What were you working on?" She pointed to Sour's bag.

"Just some ideas I'm exploring. Nothing noteworthy." She shrugged.

Starlight noted how she seemed to slip out of answering her, but rolled with it. "Hey, what's with that really tall athletic girl?"

"Royal?" Sour asked, lifting an eyebrow.

"I think that's what the other girl called her."

"What did she do?" She asked. The question was less a question and more a demand, Sour's fists balled as her eyes scanned the new girl's face.

"N-Nothing, her friend pointed me out and she said to leave me alone…then that girl prodded her until she got mad enough to yell at me for staring."

"Well, her first instinct wasn't to bully you…so that's progress, I guess." Sour sighed. "She's bad news, but ever since she got her ass humbled, she hasn't been causing trouble."

"Yeah, I noticed the bruises on her face. What happened?"

"Well, it goes back to why Indigo wears that leg brace. Indigo and Royal used to be sorta rivals on the soccer team and during a game with Canterlot, Indigo and Lightning, one of the other guys, both went for a kick and well-" Sour made a motion with her hands, clapping them together.

Starlight winced, sucking air through her teeth. "Ouch."

"Yeah, well Royal got pissed that they hurt one of her team. So she tried to pick a fight. Indigo told her to let it go, but do you think she listened?"

"Guessing not…"

"So Lightning punched her shit in and now she's walking around all mopey." Sour sighed. "Guess that's what happens when you bite off more than you can chew."

"It was an accident, right?"

"Yeah. Lightning even apologized in person because she felt so guilty. I've never seen such a tough looking person look so much like a kicked puppy." She crossed her arms. "Unless she's a better actress than Sunny, I'm inclined to believe it was genuine."

"Well, at least she apologized. That's a good sign, but why would Royal take it so personally that she had to get her back?"

"I dunno," Sour shrugged. "Maybe some weird sense of loyalty?"

"For her to feel protective of someone she didn't seem to like, there sounds like there's more to that story."

"Yeah, yeah. I just don't care to give that jerk more time of my day than is necessary."

"Heyo!" Lemon said, flopping down into a seat beside Sour.

"Good morning." Starlight offered.

"Hey Lemon."

"Whatcha talkin' 'bout?" She asked with a grin.

"Sour was filling me in on Royal." Starlight explained.

"Oh, was she being a pain again?" Lemon groaned.

"No, no, she actually called off one of her friends. I was just curious, nothing really happened."

"You sure? Don't let her get away with bullying you." She frowned.

"She isn't. No worries."

"Well, if you insist…just come to us if she does anything. Okay?"

"Since when did you take over Indigo's role?"

'The way you girls talk, you all look out for each other, maybe they all see Indigo as the leader?' Starlight thought. "Hey, speaking of, can you tell me more about Indigo? What do you mean by her role?"

"Her role? Well, Indigo is a pretty strong chick. She's the one who would stand up if someone started shit." Sour said.

"We kinda owe our friendships to her too. Indy and Sunny." Lemon said. "Before they became friends, this whole place was so icy and mean. Indy has also been pretty helpful when it comes to our mental health."

"She has? Does she like…study psychology or is she planning to?" She asked.

"Pft, nah. But she's actually got a pretty good head on her shoulders. She listens and helps us out." Lemon giggled.

"She convinced me to see a therapist, so I owe her…" Sour admitted.

"Y'know, depression and junk doesn't just go away, but having some good friends help you through it really does go a long way." Lemon shrugged with a small smile. "As for Sugarcoat, she and I became friends a long time back because of Indigo. She has a scar on her forehead from headbutting a kid for talking shit." She giggled.

"Wow…you're all pretty connected, and you just…invited me into the group? Why?" She asked.

"If I had to guess, it was because she knew you could use a hand to get used to the place." Sour said. "She's the kind to worry about that kinda stuff."

"Well, I owe you girls." Starlight chuckled. "Oh wait, what about Sunny? What's her connection to Indigo?"

The girls glanced at one another. "Hmm, about that… We may have to check if it's okay to talk about." Lemon said.

"It's sensitive information, you might want to just ask Indigo at some point." Sour suggested.

"Ask me what?" The voice of said girl asked as she approached the table, Sunny at her side. Sugarcoat trailing behind a bit, focusing on a book in her hand.

"I was just asking about how everyone met…when I got to you and Sunny, that's about where you came in." Starlight said as Indigo took a seat.

"And you two said you'd have to check with me first?" She asked, lifting an eyebrow. "You know the story by now."

"We're not gonna go around blabbing about that junk though." Sour huffed.

"No, I understand why you said what you said." Indigo chuckled.

"A show of restraint, you were correct to not say anything." Sugarcoat chimed in.

Sour slid down in her seat, cheeks a little redder as the attention shifted onto her.

"So, you wanted to know how Sunny and I met?"

Starlight nodded.

"Well, we got set up as a pair for a class project and she was so blinded by my charm that she couldn't leave me alone afterwards." She crossed her arms with a grin.

"Partially true." Sunny rolled her eyes. "She had a reputation of being a troublemaker, but she didn't strike me as one, so I looked into it. I met the other three girls here and well…"

"In all seriousness. Sunny saved my life." Indigo said, no hints at her teasing grin, just a genuine smile.

"Th-That's a bit much, don't you think?" Sunny asked, blushing lightly. Indigo shook her head.

"Because of her stubbornness, she caught me in a lie. I was competing on several compounding injuries." She began. "Those were caused by my shitty parents."

Starlight flinched. "O-Oh…"

Indigo raised a hand to stop her. "No, I don't mind sharing this." She chuckled. "She's being modest, but I'm only here because of her. I never would have gotten the help I needed without her sticking her nose into my business, so yeah. I'm grateful for her."

Sunny sat in stunned silence, but leaned into her when Indigo put an arm around her shoulders.

"I never would have guessed…" Starlight said with a sad smile. "I'm happy all of you are in better places…"

"I have been just fine the entire time." Sugarcoat said simply.

"Well sorry not all of us have the mental state to deal with bullshit." Sour huffed.

"Our differences only lay in how we approach the situation, you are not lesser than me in that. If anything, you are far more qualified to handle a mentally taxing problem than I am. I just make it look like I am collected." She adjusted her glasses.

"Did…you just compliment me?"

"I compliment you all more times than you seem to notice." She said with a pout. "You should know I hold all of you in the highest regard. I am sorry that I cannot express it as well as you do."

Sour sighed. "Don't apologize. Dammit, I'm sorry."

"Man. We're really getting all sappy in front of Starlight." Indigo chuckled.

"I don't mind. I think it's good you have that bond." She smiled.

"So, tell us about yourself. You said you had to transfer because of some stuff going on at the old school." Indigo said.

"Well," She scratched the back of her neck. "I uh, wasn't the nicest person back there, but I wasn't beating people up y'know?"

"Ooh, never would have thought." Lemon mused.

"Yeah, I really only had one close friend and he moved away. I-" She sighed. "Nothing excuses what kind of jerk I was back then. I just don't like what I was doing." She leaned against the table, resting her chin on her palm. "I'm still so ashamed of myself…"

"Well, be better." Sour said. "We've all been assholes at one point in our lives."

"You make it sound so simple…"

"Well, it does not have to be complicated." Sugarcoat shrugged. "Figure yourself out and find a way to make it up to the people you wronged, if you feel so inclined."

"It-" She chuckled. "You're right, and I know you are, but I just don't see it happening anytime soon."

"There's not a time limit, dude." Indigo said. "We'll help you get there."

Starlight felt a weight lift off her. Not completely, but it was better. She gave Indigo a small smile. 'I think I get why they look up to you now.' She chuckled. "You know, the first time we met…you girls were pretty intimidating. Minus Lemon, I guess." This earned a beaming grin from the girl.

"See? I'm not intimidating." She boasted.

"You're just a pushover." Sour said with a playful nudge.

"Well, at least I have people to keep an eye on me."

"If that's what you wanna take away from all this, sure." Sour shrugged.

"So Sugarcoat, did you get any information on that magic girl?" Lemon asked, after a lull in the conversation.

"Indigo or Sunny could have been just as effective, why ask me?" She asked.

"To give you an excuse to talk to Pinkie, of course."

"I…" She sighed. "Whatever you think is going on with her, it is not that."

"I actually think it's nice how you'll actually smile when she's around." Sunny said. "Though I suppose we should lay off if its actually bothering her."

"It-" Sugarcoat rolled her eyes. "I appreciate you taking an interest in it, but you should know that, even if you are teasing, it really makes things more awkward and difficult, especially if there were budding emotions. Which there is not." She explained. "Which is also why I am refraining from giving information on Trixie." She blinked. "Other than her name."

"She announced her name while she was there." Sour said with a shrug. "I didn't realize you actually didn't catch it, thought we were just calling her the magical girl."

"Thank you Sugarcoat," Starlight chuckled. "They aren't bothering me, but I appreciate your view on things. It helps knowing I'm not alone in this."

"Do not give them an inch. They will take a mile." Sugarcoat warned.

"I'm offended." Indigo said flatly.

"I am sure you are." Sugarcoat rolled her eyes with…a hint of a grin.

"Trixie, huh?" Starlight thought aloud. "I sure know how to pick 'em…"

"Loud, in your face and confident? Yeah. Sounds like you have a specific type." Sour said. "What caught your eye?"

"I dunno." She shrugged. "I just…want to talk to her, I guess. I'm trying not to over think things."

"Yeah, you do that and next thing you know it's been months before you say anything…" Sunny thought aloud.

"Months? Were you interested in Indigo for months before you two actually spoke up?" Starlight asked.

"Well…" She shrank in her seat. "Listen, I didn't know what it was at first, okay?"

Indigo grinned. "Now I don't feel as bad. I thought I took a long time to act."

"If only every relationship were that simple. But not knowing how the other person would react really makes you nervous to speak up." Lemon said. "Though considering Trixie was third wheeling Sunset and Rainbow…she doesn't seem the type to think negatively of it."

"Maybe I just need to ask her out. The worst she could do is say no." She shrugged.

"You're instantly braver than anyone at this table." Sour chuckled.

"Wh-What?" She asked.

"Yeah! You're pretty cool, Star." Lemon added.

"She is implying that we all have things unsaid, due to either our fears or insecurities. Take it as a compliment and we can move on." The blunt girl spoke up.

"What she said." Indigo chuckled.

The bell rang, signaling it was time to head to classes.

"Welp, time to go. Meet back afterwards?" Indigo asked as they all began to stand.

The girls agreed before each took to their paths. Sunny and Starlight heading to the same class together.

"Hey, can I ask something?" The taller girl asked.

"Sure, what is it?" Sunny asked, glancing over.

"I'm starting to second guess myself. Should I just ask her..?"

"Well, you could always do what I did. Get to know her beforehand, become her friend, be the person she confides in…and one day wake up realizing you've been crushing on your best friend for months…" She thought aloud before clearing her throat.

"Got some stuff you need to talk about?" She asked, lifting an eyebrow.

"It…the revelation surprised us both. I, sorta wish we noticed earlier…" She admitted. "But we're talking about you here. You don't know her that well. Maybe just start with talking to her. See how well you mesh, then suggest going to hang out. I wouldn't say 'date' right away."

"Right. Right. Thanks Sunny. It's good to get advice from someone who has some experience on the subject." She chuckled.

"Please, if anything the path I took was full of stumbles and mistakes." She sighed. "It's a wonder Indigo is actually interested in me."

"Do you…not see that she adores you?" Starlight asked. "She literally credited you with saving her life."

"That was hyperbole, and I know she likes me, but adore? That's-"

"Uh uh, nope." Starlight cut her off. "You're just as bad as her…" She palmed her face. "Take some credit for your actions, Sunny. You don't have to be humble, sure, don't brag about it and be a jerk y'know? But you should really take pride in what you've accomplished. From what I've been told, you're just as much the reason your friends are together as Indigo is. You helped bring them out of their shells again. You are the one person Indigo trusted enough to talk to. Even she'll tell you that you got her here." She listed. "This is all from an outsider perspective…"

Sunny took a deep breath. "I…don't like taking credit for all that. Whenever I think like that it feels like I only did it for some form of recognition." She admitted.

"It's okay to be proud of yourself." Starlight said with a small smile. "I'm pretty sure they know you didn't help Indigo for recognition."

Sunny chuckled. "You're right. I know you are, but its just a hard habit to break." She sighed. "Also. I take offense on you calling yourself an outsider." She huffed.

"Huh? But I'm still new-"

"When you've been to Lemon's and watched movies at my place, you've bantered with Sour and Sugarcoat both…you're still fresh to the group, but you're no outsider. Got that?" She pointed her index finger in her face

"R-Right!" She said, holding her hands up as if the finger were a gun. "Admittedly it's the most forcefully I've ever been accepted, but I won't argue."

"Good." She smiled. "Now then, we have cl-" The bell rang and the two jolted. "Crap!"

"Aw man, I'm gonna get an earful from the teacher…" Starlight whined as she turned to jog to the room.

"The teacher? You're gonna get an earful from me for making me late!"

PreviousChapters Next