• Published 30th Sep 2020
  • 983 Views, 287 Comments

Help - WittyNameTFM

  • ...
1
 287
 983

Chapters Next
Chapter 1. The Project

Author's Note:

This started as my attempt to make a rivals to lovers fic, but I kinda lost thread and went into a different direction.

I'm trying to make chapters longer, I swear! Hope you enjoy, some of the mental health stuff in later chapters is from personal experience, who knows, maybe someone needs to hear these things too.

Indigo groaned, looking across the table at her assigned partner. 'Great.'

"You could at least attempt to not make me feel unwelcome, we're both in this." Sunny said, crossing her arms. "If anything I should be upset that I'm paired with you."

"And what's that supposed to mean?!" She barked, shooting to her feet, her seat being thrown back.

"What do you think, you dunce? I have to do this project alone now because there's no way I'll trust you with any part of it." She spat.

"Do what you want, I'm outta here." Indigo grabbed the chair and shoved it under the table before storming off. Some sports team had to be at practice now, she'd blow off some steam.

Sunny sighed, and pinched the bridge of her nose. "This is going swimmingly."

***

Sunny stood and packed her things, different strategies ran through her mind over how she'd manage the project.

"Ugh, I feel sorry for you, having to carry that dead weight." A passing student said.

"I'll manage." She said simply, pressing a button on her bracelet, the screen lit up and she scrolled through her planner. She walked out of the classroom and down the hall opposite to the gym and sports teams.

The auditorium, where her fellow thespians auditioned and judged, wrote and read, all in preparation for the next performance. She took a seat in the audience as a girl on stage acted out a scene from some play they were rehearsing.

She brought out a notebook and began writing, occasionally looking up to the actress. 'Not what I'm looking for, but she's not bad.' She took note as she thought out roles she could play effectively. While she was here, there was nothing that could ruin her day.

***

Indigo dodged another player, her footwork was second to none. She slipped the ball past her and back to her other foot before turning on her heel and nailing it with enough force to blow past the goalie before the girl could react.

She panted, watching the surprise from her classmates before she finally took a second to compose herself. Her body ached from just how much she pushed herself compared to the other players. They looked to move in slow motion to Indigo at certain points.

She grit her teeth, the image of Sunny Flare sitting across from her at the table earlier. 'Who the fuck is she? She doesn't know me.' She thought as the annoyance came back. This was usually her escape. Indigo was in charge when she was on the field. That condescension in her eyes, her genuine body language, that girl wasn't playing up that she was upset to be paired with Indigo. It almost...

"Get back in position and run it again!" Indigo barked. "If you can't block it this time, we'll find someone who can."

It didn't hurt.

***

The next day at school found the girls sitting across from one another again. "Can we at least talk this time?" Sunny asked, with her arms crossed.

"Fine. You wanna talk? Let's talk. We don't like each other, let's do this project and return to being dead to one another."

"Sounds like a deal, but we can't just do this work separately. You have to work with me."

The athlete tensed as her brow knit, she took a breath in an attempt to calm herself. "Just give me half and you do the other. We'll be fine."

"This is twenty percent of our final. I will not risk this grade ending up below my standards."

"You're just gonna ignore that I'm one of the top students in the school too, huh?"

"And I'm sure whomever's work you pass off as your own is just as upset by that fact as I am."

Indigo slammed her hands on the table. "Listen here you prissy bitch, I'm not the one throwing insults! You've had it out for me from the first second we were paired up!"

Sunny shrank back in her seat, her bold words were just that, words. Indigo felt her anger wilt, seeing her flinch. The athlete grumbled, taking her seat again. "I wasn't going to-" She sighed. "How can we do this? I just wanna be done with it."

"We, um," Sunny hesitated, realizing just how easily Indigo could shut her up. 'Push through it.' She told herself quickly. "We should meet up after classes and sit down to work. Do you have a day where you're not in practice?"

"Usually not, but practice on Saturday ends around noon, so we could try then." She suggested.

"That sounds like a good place to start. Where should we meet up?"

"Anywhere but my place." Indigo said simply, crossing her arms. "My parents don't like guests."

"I see?" Sunny asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Just trust me on this." The athlete said. "Is there anything we can do solo?"

"Let's split up the workload, we're both busy people." Sunny took a sheet of paper out and looked over the requirements. "Write your hypothesis and I'll test your's, you test mine and we'll bring the data together on Saturday. We should be finished with it quickly and be out of each other's hair."

"Right. I'll get on this after practice." Indigo spoke as she wrote, she seemed much calmer after sitting back down, Sunny was sure she was going to start a fight.

"Wonderful. See you Saturday then." Sunny stood, placing her bag on the desk to pack her things.

"Right." Indigo grabbed her bag and stood. "Oh, and sorry, if I scared you." She turned and speed walked away, not giving the thespian a chance to ask why, but the apology confused her.

***

Saturday. The first attempt to meet outside of the walls of education. The mall was a good spot to get some work done, even with all the people bustling by. Indigo sat at the meeting spot, a table at the food court. She read over her notes again, 'I'll show her.' She thought. 'Pompous bitch.'

Sunny spotted the girl sitting alone, a notebook in front of her. It was weird seeing her outside of school. Indigo wore her CPA letterman jacket over a black t-shirt with writing on it. Her goggles rested atop her head, her hair pulled back behind them. She wore cut off jean shorts and high top black converse. She was tapping her foot as she waited.

Sunny steeled herself before calling out to her, with a wave she approached the table.

Indigo looked up and Sunny felt her eyes as she glanced at her attire, a comfortable half fastened short sleeve button down, and a fashionable camisole underneath. Her favorite scarf wrapped around her neck loosely, accenting her equally favorite necklace draped over her shoulders. A snug skirt hugged her hips, falling just below mid thigh, her boots coming up to her knees. The final touch were her smartphone bracelets, for some reason she felt naked without something on her wrists, and the most stylish barrette adorned her short hair, signalling her namesake in a warm orange sunny shape.

Indigo gestured to the seat across from her. "Your outfit looks cute." She said, looking back to her papers.

Sunny hesitated at the compliment, but took the seat, finding enough manners to thank her. "You look just how I pictured you would outside of the uniform." She giggled.

"That a good thing?" Indigo lifted an eyebrow.

"Of course dear, I'm sure you're quite the heartbreaker." She smiled softly as she took out her notes.

"Heh, yeah, you got me." Indigo replied with little enthusiasm. It didn't go unnoticed, but Sunny chose not to bring it up.

"Alright, here we are." She sat out her notes and the two began working in earnest. After about an hour, they took a break to get some lunch. Indigo’s burger and fries, suited her well in Sunny’s mind, who had a simple salad. As they ate, they read over their notes again. The athlete offered some fries to the actress, who took a few and thanked her. Indigo's unrest became much more noticeable as she began to nitpick several issues with her own hypothesis.

"Shit, this is garbage." She grumbled. "Guess I am dragging you down." She added, quickly trying to correct the mistakes. Mistakes, Sunny noted, that weren't even there.

"Wait, wait." She looked over the writing. "This looks fine, what are you talking about?"

Indigo blinked, looking back at the paper. Nothing was wrong. She shook her head. "The fuck..?" She blinked again before rubbing her eyes.

Sunny tilted her head as Indigo shrugged, sitting back, she spotted a smudge under her eye. She squinted, zoning in on it. "Hey, you've smudged your makeup."

The girl jolted up. "Uh, oh well. Not like I'm going anywhere after this." She said, nonchalantly.

"Here, let me help." She offered, taking her bag out. "I keep some extra make up just in case, I can help cover it up."

"No thanks, I appreciate it though."

"Dearie, right now it looks like you've covered one eye and the other is only half done. If you're having enough trouble with the project that you couldn't even finish your makeup, you could just tell me." She asked, leaning closer in.

"Personal space, Sunny." She pushed her back. "I'm fine, I just didn't sleep too well last night." She shrugged.

"You picked a decent color, but if you look close enough it doesn't match perfectly." She pointed out.

"So I don't know a lot about make-up, whatever."

"It's nothing to get defensive over, I was just-"

The athlete's phone on the table vibrated and lit up with a message. A notification from "Dad" that read "Where ar-" and the preview box cut off the rest.

Indigo picked it up, typing out a message. "You're right. Sorry. I gotta go." She stood, packing her things.

"But, we’ve barely gotten started-"

Indigo took a deep breath. "I'll stay late at the library on Monday. Can we work more there?"

"Uh, I suppose, but what's the-"

"Later." She said before heading towards the escalator.

"...rush." Sunny groaned. "How rude." She watched the girl as she darted between the patrons, a small frown on her face. ‘What could have been so pressing that required that response?’ She asked herself, taking a sip from the drink she’d gotten during their break. She sighed, but gathered her things.

Chapters Next