• Published 30th Sep 2020
  • 979 Views, 283 Comments

Help - WittyNameTFM

  • ...
1
 283
 979

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 5. Reflections

The next day, Indigo entered the school. She listlessly wandered, still exhausted from the night prior.

Her dad didn't like that she came back later than usual. Even if it was only by a few minutes.

Being yelled at and put down for hours really made her not want to wake up today, but here she was. She stopped in front of the trophy case, seeing her tired reflection in the glass. Beaten. Bruised. Mentally and physically exhausted but, despite everything…

"I'm here." She said quietly. Her foundation was better today. The bags around her eyes weren't noticeable. She felt a twinge of pain surge up her side. It had been a while since he raised a hand to her, she didn't even remember what he hit her in the ribs with, she just knew that's what was hurting.

The reflection showed a normal teenage girl, though, she seemed off. As if part of her looked different. Was that her? Did she always look so worn out? Who-

She took slow breaths to ease the pain as much as possible. Luckily she could treat herself without raising suspicion and the bandages were under her uniform. It would make practice today difficult though.

She looked back to the reflection, spotting Sunny's standing beside her own. "Wha?!" She jolted and immediately regretted it.

"Morning." Sunny giggled, watching Indigo try to compose herself.

"Why're you sneaking up on people?" She huffed, crossing her arms.

"Sorry, dear." She said. "You look tired."

"Didn't sleep well." She sighed, turning to walk ahead.

"That's a shame. Would some caffeine help?"

Indigo shrugged as they walked. Sunny's concern didn't exactly come across, she was focusing too hard on not showing how much pain she was in. Each step she took would cause her backpack to send fresh jolts of pain.

"So, who do you think Cinch will pick for the Friendship Games team?" Sunny asked.

"Outside of us? Probably the others in the top ten, and then any utility players she'd need."

"Right. She's pretty easy to figure out." She nodded. "Say, do you have some time to talk?"

"Depends. What about?"

"I wanted to see if you'd be interested in seeing a movie with me this weekend. Just, y'know hang out?"

Her chest fluttered again, Indigo felt the heat in her face. "Uh, I dunno dude, we're kinda in um," She searched for an excuse. Something believable. "We're trying to nail down our practice before we have to go do the games, so I'm kinda busy after school."

"Hmm, a shame. Perhaps our get together shall have to wait until after the Friendship games."

"If you still want to, maybe." She said, looking away.

"Classes are about to begin. I'll see you at lunch." Sunny said with a wave, heading down the hall to her classroom.

"What? I didn't agree to- Whatever…" She sighed, turning to head to her class. With Sunny no longer watching, she slumped a little to relax her pained ribs, unbeknownst to her, another set of eyes watched as she walked gingerly toward her classroom.

"Hey Sour, we're gonna be late!" Lemon said, rushing past her and grabbing her wrist to pull her along.

"Wha-Wait a minute!" She growled, but followed after getting her bearings.

Time passed and unfortunately Indigo found even sitting agitated her injuries. She pushed up from her desk at the bell, trudging out of the room after most of the other students.

She walked to gym class, almost robotically going straight to the locker room to change. Passing through the door and not even looking up as she walked by the sink counters and wall mirrors, she opened her locker and took out her gym clothes. Her body ached and her eyes were heavy. A math class right before gym didn't help her in waking up from her shitty night. She didn't even think twice as she started to change out of her uniform, most of the locker room was empty anyway, most of the girls had already changed and were waiting for the teacher.

A gasp came from behind her as she was pulling her shirt down over the hastily added bandages from the night prior, she jolted up and finally snapped back from her daze. She glanced over her shoulder and her heart sank.

"Indigo, what happened to your back?" Sunny asked, she had her jersey on, but hadn't changed out of her skirt. Indigo took a breath, this could still be saved.

"Uh, it's from practice the other day." She lied, shrugging. "It's healing up, got hit in the ribs, so the most I can do is bandage them up."

"You shouldn't be doing anything in gym class then! You could get hurt worse."

"Well, yeah, but it's fine." She waved it off. "Nothing in this class could bother me that much." She walked past her, glancing over her shoulder as she spoke. "C'mon, don't make the coach wai-" She locked eyes with herself in the mirror near the doors.

A black eye, a swollen cheek, her arms and legs sporting purple bruises. Her breath hitched and she backed away, bumping into the counter opposite the mirror, hard enough to send pain up her body and doubling her over with a yelp.

"Indigo?!" Sunny rushed over, kneeling to check on her. "You need to see the nurse, what happened?" She asked.

Indigo groaned in pain, looking up at the mirror again. It was just her. Just her being helped by someone. Someone who noticed. Someone who was holding out their hand for her. She felt the pain, but-

She took it. The fight wasn't worth it at this point. "Yeah, okay." She mumbled as Sunny helped her to stand. The corner of that counter really hurt. Her steps were unstable from the pain. Sunny draped Indigo's arm around her shoulders and helped walk her to the nurse's office.

She laid on the bed, uncomfortable. Sitting up was painful, standing was brutal, and laying down was awful. On her back was just as painful, her stomach felt like it was being stretched out.

"Here sweetheart, take these pain killers. We'll reapply some bandages when they kick in." The kind nurse said.

Indigo stared at the pills that were dropped into her hand. She nodded, but looked hesitant. "I, uh, can't take them." She said quietly.

"Oh? Why not?" Sunny asked, having stepped past the nurse, who gave her an annoyed expression.

"It's something I grew up with. I don't like them." She admitted. "If I try to force them down I'll hurl them back up."

"Oh, well dear, try to get comfortable while I look for something you can take." The woman said.

Indigo stared down at the two small pills. She wanted to throw them on the ground, but that'd be rude to someone who was trying to help her. 'They'll make the pain go away.'

Her hand shook as she quickly slammed them on the bedside table. Sunny glanced over at the louder than intended sound, seeing the girl's pale complexion and shaky hands.

"Hey," She said, taking a seat beside the bed. "Indigo?"

"What?" She spat, trying to calm herself.

"It's okay. You don't have to take them." She assured her. "You're hurting for the moment, but you're going to be okay. I promise."

Her heart jumped again. That same annoying fluttering that she felt when Sunny said something only for her to hear, but it was like she knew something even Indigo didn't. Something that Indigo hadn't admitted.

She wasn't okay. This wasn't okay.

Sunny took her hand, helping her to slow her anxious jitters.

But with Sunny's help.

"You'll be okay."

Sunny stayed with Indigo until the end of the day, somehow. She'd help her out of the school when she needed a shoulder to lean on.

"Promise me you'll call when you get home."

"I promise."

"And that you'll go straight to bed."

"Fine, mom."

"I'm serious! You really scared me today."

"I didn't mean to-"

"I know. I just worry." She sighed. "You can talk to me if you need to and I'll listen. Also, point out whoever did that. I'll give them a piece of my mind."

"Don't worry about it. Freak accident." She chuckled, but held her side. "Ow…"

Sunny sighed. "I'll drive you home, I can at least do that for you."

"No! It's-" 'Crap. Now she's gonna be more concerned. Give her something…' She chastised herself. "Uh, dad gets kinda jumpy when there are cars he doesn't know showing up at the house." She admitted, looking away. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"See you." Sunny said with a frown, turning to head to the parking lot. 'She'll bounce back, right? Indigo is made of some pretty strong stuff.' She told herself, but the sinking feeling never left her stomach. Her gut was telling her something was wrong.

As she passed through the halls, she spotted sports club members jogging to their practices. None of them looked to be nursing injuries. 'Maybe it was in one of the clubs I didn't see members of?' She asked herself.

"Hey, Flare." An annoyed voice asked from behind her. She jolted but turned. Sour Sweet stood there, her arms crossed and a pensive expression on her face. "You get to talk to Indigo?" She asked.

"Uh, yeah. Why do you ask?"

"I-" She took a second to breathe, her agitation seeming to subside. "I saw her this morning after you left. She was limping or something, she okay?"

"I noticed later in the day. I took her to the nurse, it's nothing serious, but she'll need to rest for a few days."

"Shit." Sour cursed, looking down. "Any idea what happened?"

Sunny felt herself begin to sweat, she didn't exactly promise not to go into detail, but she already felt she was saying too much, especially about someone she was only just getting to open up. "S-Sports accident? If I had to guess, I mean." 'All those acting classes and you pull this crap?! It should be easy lying to Sour Sweet! But-' She watched the girl frown and nod.

"Yeah, tell her I hope she gets better soon. We're gonna need her to wreck CHS." She pounded a fist into her palm with a smirk, the gesture was nice, but Sunny could tell when someone was putting on an act.

'She was honest with you, and is genuinely asking, don't ruin this like you did your first opportunity with Indigo.'

"I'm worried though." Sunny blurted out.

"What about?"

"I don't-, I don't wanna say too much. I just-." She sighed. "I hope she's okay."

"At least she has someone who cares. That's more than most people around here. She's got at least one good friend." She grumbled. The words were kind, but it felt as if she were saying them through gritted teeth. As if she had struggled to do so.

"Th-Thanks, Sour Sweet. I mean, you took the time to ask as well. Maybe she has two?"

"Pft, only she can make that call. I know Lemon would want in."

"Sugarcoat seems to be on decent terms as well."

"Indigo gets around." Sour shrugged before palming her forehead. "That's-That was phrased poorly. That's not what I meant."

"I'll be sure to tell her you said that." Sunny giggled.

"Are you kidding me? Indigo could fucking kill me!" Sour whined, but managed a smile. "I'll let you go. I gotta meet up with Lemon before she thinks I took the bus home."

"See you." She waved. 'Sour seems to be warming up as well.' Rumors about her were that she was confrontational and had an explosive temper. Some of it was true, but nowhere had she heard about the person she'd just spoken to. 'This place just breeds misinformation.'

The next few days were pretty repetitive and uninteresting, Sunny caught Indigo as she arrived and walked with her to class. She'd made note of her arrival time and planned accordingly to meet up.

They had begun texting more after that day. Indigo actually sent a message when she got home, a selfie of her laying in bed with the caption 'happy now?'. Sunny saved the image. Blackmail? Teasing potential? It'd be useful either way.

"Morning."

"Hey Sunny." Indigo said before yawning.

"Now wait, for you to be resting up, how are you still tired?"

"Just because I'm in bed doesn't mean I'm asleep." Indigo rolled her eyes. "Dude, I do tons of things before sleeping. Probly checked different apps for hours before actually nodding off."

"Hmph." Sunny crossed her arms with a pout. "And here I was planning on rewarding you for actually taking a break."

"Reward? What kind of reward?"

"Too late now, you already lost your chance."

"Well then you've got nothing to lose in telling me, right?"

Sunny blinked. "Oh, you're good." She admitted.

"I've been told that from time to time." Indigo smirked.

"Not good enough though." Sunny smirked back before walking past her.

"You're a pain."

"That may be, but you're stuck with me."

Indigo sighed with faux annoyance. "Whatever. Catch you after class?"

"Sure thing." Sunny waved as Indigo turned the corner.

'This is going really well.' Sunny thought excitedly. 'If I can keep this up until after the games, maybe we'll actually hang out more.' She pulled up her planner on her smart watch. The games were just over the horizon.

Author's Note:

Been real busy with editing the next chapter after this, I gotta get to work on the seventh and also figure how much longer I have on this story as a whole. Thank you all to anyone who is enjoying and coming back each update! Sorry they're so sporadic. :twilightsheepish:

PreviousChapters Next