• Published 30th Sep 2020
  • 987 Views, 287 Comments

Help - WittyNameTFM

  • ...
1
 287
 987

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 42. Doubts

Starlight looked up from her phone, seeing Indigo and Sour arguing something she had been spaced out for.

“You can't just roll in here and drop an opinion like it's a fact and just move on.” Indigo said, crossing her arms.

“They hated her for she spoke the truth.” Sour shrugged with a knowing smirk.

“Am I going crazy? Someone, please help.” She groaned.

“What's going on now?” Starlight asked.

“Indigo, dear, you chose to engage. That was your choice.” Sunny said, while writing something in her notebook.

“I'm gonna strangle the both of you…”

“Sour's pushing Indigo's buttons.” Lemon said, looking up from her phone.

“She's being a little shit. Emphasis on little.” Indigo huffed.

“Hey! I can't help my height, you can help your wrong opinions.” Sour huffed back.

“Just because you've got the palette of an old person doesn't mean you have any say in what's tasty or not.”

“Coffee doesn't need the crazy sugar or bullshit you put in it!”

“It doesn't, but it does taste way better because of them!”

“YOU have the palette of a child! I bet you like sugary energy drinks too.”

“Sour, don't you chug those when you have a lot of work to do?” Lemon asked.

“Aha! A crack in the armor!” Indigo cheered.

“So, Sour just finds an argument and dies on that hill despite how hypocritical it is?” Starlight asked.

“Precisely. She likes to get a rise out of us sometimes. It's actually pretty funny, usually anyway.” Sunny chuckled.

“If I had to guess-” Sugarcoat spoke up for the first time since she sat down earlier. “It was an attempt to distract me. Entertaining as it is, I'm still having trouble.” She admitted.

Sour frowned. “Well, I tried.” She shrugged. “You uh, did the thing where you used a contraction again.”

Sugarcoat sighed. “I'm…trying to get over that.” She said, “Trust me, it is as weird for me as I am sure it is for you.” She sat for a moment as if running over the words she just spoke again. “This is difficult.”

“So have you come up with what you're gonna say to Twilight?” Lemon asked.

“No.” Sugarcoat sighed again. “I know she will just give that same uneasy smile and assure me that everything is fine, but that won't fix anything. Just an endless cycle of apologizing and empty reassurance.”

“You…could take her acceptance and just work toward being a better friend to her.” Starlight suggested. “Sometimes things don't have to be more complicated than they are.”

Sugarcoat adjusted her glasses. “Your suggestion is on the table and I will consider it a possibility.”

“Gonna guess that's the best I can get…”

“I mean, whenever I see her, it's fine. She's doing well.” Lemon said. “Maybe instead of stressing,” She reached over to put a hand on Sugarcoat's shoulder. “You can just let the conversation go naturally, and maybe Starlight is right, just be a better friend.”

The bespectacled girl nodded. “Right…if I get into my head, I could make things worse.”

“So just breathe, dude. Chill. You're gonna stress yourself into an early grave.”

Sugarcoat nodded again. “Okay. Thank you. I needed that.”

“Anytime dude. Anybody got anything else to talk about?” Lemon asked, looking around.

“Trixie showed me how to do a couple magic tricks, she knows a lot of cool stuff.” Starlight said. “Did you know she makes her own smoke bombs?”

“I didn't know she had smoke bombs.” Sour said. “But that's kinda cool.”

“So things are going well then, dear?” Sunny asked.

“I think so. I'll be honest, being her assistant wasn't initially my idea of a good time…but getting to know her through something she's so passionate about is kinda fun.” She smiled.

Indigo chuckled. “Well that's good news.” She glanced at Sunny. ‘Am…Am I supposed to be doing that for Sunny too? It doesn't feel like I'm doing enough…’

“Is everything okay, Indigo?” Sunny asked, knocking her back to reality.

“Huh? Oh. Yeah! Of course. Just y'know, thinking about stuff.” She chuckled, very aware of how obvious she was being.

“And is she ‘stuff’?” Sour asked.

“Shut up.”

“Awww~”

“You guys suck.” Indigo grumbled, blushing lightly.

“She's just teasing, Indy.” Lemon chuckled. “We have a long weekend coming up, you two have any plans?”

“Uhh, well-”

“Not exactly.” Sunny spoke up. “I feel as if I've been preoccupied with my recent role in the theater club, we haven't had much time to spend together outside of our obligations.”

Indigo nodded. “I thought that was on me, my part time job has me going after school and coming back around the time you turn in.”

“Oh, Indigo, you should know better by now…” She playfully scolded her. “I'm also usually exhausted afterwards anyway…”

“Man. How do you miss each other while living together?” Sour asked bluntly.

Both girls flinched.

“It's common when two people aren't used to the relationship aspect.” Sugarcoat said, looking up from her notebook. “Even married couples fall into that pattern when things get busy.”

“So what you're suggesting is they have a date night.” Lemon perked up.

“W-Wait, hang on-” Indigo began.

“Sunny's more knowledgeable on movie stuff, she'd probably like a movie date.” Lemon thought aloud.

“But, Indigo is a jock, so doing something sports related could help Sunny impress her.” Sour added to Lemon's musings.

“S-She doesn't have to impress me-” Indigo covered her face with her hands, unable ro hide the embarrassment now. Sunny just giggled, patting her shoulder.

“Their enthusiasm towards our relationship is endearing, you have to admit.” She said quietly, Indigo glanced over at her, noting the red in her cheeks as well. She felt a flutter in her chest, reaching down to take her hand.

“Yeah…it's just weird when I can't even figure out stuff to say and they just blurt it out.” She admitted.

“Oh, I understand that feeling.” Sunny sighed, squeezing her hand gently.

“Would you wanna do something tomorrow? Just us?”

“I'd love to.”

“Cool. So that part's easier…now, how do I get around to saying all the mushy stuff you should really hear?” She flat out asked, still a bit red in the cheeks.

“I suppose that'll come in time, dear.” Sunny giggled. “Though I must admit, you have my curiosity.”

Lemon and Sour had continued their back and forth as Indigo and Sunny quietly discussed their plans. Starlight smiled at the sight, if Sugarcoat wasn't so fixated on her task, she'd say her friends were all in pretty good places. Her phone buzzed again and she pulled it up to read the message from Trixie.

‘I wonder if they could help me get somewhere with Trixie…’ She thought as her eyes ran over the words.

‘You were right, Star. Thank you so much.’

‘Of course, Trix. Anytime you need to talk, I'll listen.’ She sent back, glancing over to see Sunny leaning into Indigo as they spoke between one another, the other girls seemed to pick up on it, not interrupting. Starlight pictured herself in that spot with Trixie. It was cute. ‘Man, am I rushing things?’

Indigo chuckled. “I'll tell you when you're least expecting it.”

“You tease.” Sunny rolled her eyes. “But I suppose there's a time and place.” She smirked.

“And I'll tell you how pretty I think you are then.” She jabbed, returning the smirk at Sunny's reaction.

“You-” Her cheeks looked a tinge closer to purple.

“I know, not original, but I'll get better at it.” She shrugged, holding that knowing smirk.

“Okay lovebirds, cool it.” Sour spoke up. “Before you forget we're here.”

“Sour! They were doing so well.” Lemon whined.

“Right, right.” Indigo chuckled. “How's Pepper been?”

“Feisty and adorable.” Lemon said with a grin.

“Why are you answering?” Sour asked.

“Because I knew the answer.” She grinned.

Starlight leaned toward Sugarcoat. “Hey,” She whispered, earning a lifted brow from the girl. “Are Lemon and Sour a thing too?”

Sugarcoat looked back towards them, then to Starlight again. “Probably, but they haven't said anything. I just assume it's something between them right now.”

“Ohhh, understood.” She nodded.

“She's looking less and less like a kitten. She's getting so big.” Sour said, a hint of pride in her voice. “She doesn't tag my hands anymore, so that's something.”

“She just knocks things out of your hands now.” Lemon said. “When she wants attention, you know.”

“Sounds like a menace, but a cute menace.” Indigo chuckled. “Hmm, Sour being a cat person makes sense…”

“Why does that ‘make sense’?” She asked.

“I dunno. It just suits you.” She shrugged.

“Yeah, her affection is like a cat's. That's probably why.” Sunny added.

“That's what I said!” Lemon giggled.

“Good to know my closest friends think I'm like a cat…”

“Just stop being like a cat then.” Indigo shrugged.

“It's that simple.” Sunny chimed in.

“They're working together, Sour. I think you're in danger.” Lemon noted.


A soft buzz came from the book sitting on the coffee table. Rainbow lifted an eyebrow. “Hey Sunset? I think you're getting a call.” She called into the hall leading to the bathroom.

“So answer it.”

“It's your book thing, not your phone.”

“Oh!” After a few minutes she came out, taking a seat on the couch and picking up the book. Her eyes glossed over the words, hearing the message in Twilight's voice.

“What's it say?” Dash asked.

“Well, they're getting some weird magic spikes from the portal…” She said, “She's giving us a heads up that something could be coming our way.” She sighed. “Guess we were having things a little too easy.”

“Well, it's not like we aren't the most qualified or anything.” Rainbow shrugged. “We'll handle whatever comes our way.”

“You say that like it'll be easy.” She chuckled.

“With us on the case? Why wouldn't it be?”

“Your confidence is impressive, you know that?”

“It's the least impressive part of me.”

Sunset chuckled. “I'm not sure if that one came out as well as you'd hoped.”

Rainbow shrugged. “I'm rolling with it.”


“Daaaaaagiiiiii!” Sonata pushed the door to the living room.

“...yes, Sonata?” She asked, tiredly looking up from her book.

“Dagi, you feel that too, right?”

“Feel what?”

“The tingle in the air.”

“What are you…” Her eyes widened as she in fact did feel it.

“It's like the old days…it's almost like-”

“Magic.” Adagio said, now actively trying to notice the feeling…it was much stronger than she realized. “How long have you been aware of it?”

“Maybe…twenty minutes? I came right here.” She said, “I did call Aria though.”

“Good thinking Sonata, we need to discuss.”

“Should we tell Sunset?”

“...let's just do some research beforehand.” She thought aloud. “It may not be worth getting the rainbooms involved. It could spark our powers again.”

“Dagi, you promised you'd try to get along with them…”

She sighed. “Since when were you such a goody two-shoes?” She crossed her arms.

“Since we lost our voices. We're lucky we got them back at all…I don't wanna lose mine again.” She frowned.

Adagio pinched the bridge of her nose. “I'm annoyed that you're right… Okay, let's get Aria and at least check it out first.”

“Thanks Dagi.”

“I don't know why you're thanking me.” She huffed.

“I knew there was some good in there.”

Author's Note:

Happy holidays everyone! Hope you enjoy a small update. Love getting to do more couple-y things. Thanks for reading!

PreviousChapters Next