• Published 30th Apr 2020
  • 1,161 Views, 20 Comments

A Guards Tale - Sentinel Shield



Sentinel Shield is a Royal Guard. However, he is not the best at his Job. Some even wonder why he was chosen to escort Celestia's prize student to ease her nerves of Nightmare Moon returning. Little did everypony know, this would change everything.

  • ...
3
 20
 1,161

What the Applebuck?

"Is this good?" Sentinel questioned, adjusting a bird house with magic.

"Hmmm..A little more to the left.." Twilight said, watching as Sentinel adjusted accordingly.

"Better?"

Twilight nodded. "Perfect!"

Sentinel smiled, before the ground started rumbling. "Woah!" Sentinel exclaimed, as the bird house fell and broke. "The bird house!"

Twilight looked around. "I think we have bigger problems!" She saw as Rainbow Dash flew into the air, squinting to see whatever was causing this.

Rainbow looked, before exclaiming. "STAMPEDE!" She shouted, as the sound of mooing cows became clear as day.

Ponies began to panic, running around in an attempt to find cover. Others locked their doors and windows to hide, while Pinkie Pie just hopped around laughing.

"HeY! ThIs MaKeS mY vOiCe SoUnD sIlLy!" She said, her voice distorted by the vibrations of the shaking ground.

"Pinkie! Are you crazy?! Run!" Twilight called out, as Pinkie bounced pass her and Sentinel.

Meanwhile, Mayor Mare attempted to calm the panicking ponies. "Everypony calm down. There is no need to panic" Mayor Mare said, trying her best to get control of the situation.

"But Mayor, whatever shall we do?" Rarity asked her.

"Look there!" Rainbow Dash said, as Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie, Twilight, Sentinel and Mayor Mare all turned to look.

"YEEHAW!" Applejack shouted, as she and her dog ran along with the Cows. Ponies cheered as Applejack raced next to the stampeding cattle.

Rarity turned away, scared to look.

Meanwhile Pinkie Pie just laughed. "This is the best rodeo show I've ever seen!" She spoke, as she eat some popcorn.

Twilight just rolled her eyes, before a gold bubble surrounded her. She looked to her side and saw Sentinel had one around him too, along with Mayor Mare.

"What?" Sentinel said, as Twilight looked at him. "It's not that I don't have faith in Applejack, but better safe than sorry"

Everypony watched as Applejack tried to wrestle the cows to turn, many braced for a massive stampede to run them down. But luckily at the last moment, Applejack managed to lasso a rope over the lead cow and steer them all off-course.

Ponies cheered in relief, as Ponyville avoided being flattened into a pancake. They saw as after a minute or so, Applejack trotted over a hill with the sun behind her. Ponies cheered for her as she ran down with a "YEEHAW!"

"YEEHAW!" Pinkie replied, as she began bouncing around. "Ride'em Cowpony!"

As Sentinel dropped the protective bubble around himself, Twilight, and the Mayor, he watched as the Mayor turned to talk with Twilight.

"Applejack was just...just..." Mayor Mare struggled to find a word to describe Applejack.

"Appletastic?" Pinkie quickly dropped in, somehow standing in the sky and giving a perfect description. She then fell and face-planted.

"Exactly" The Mayor agreed. "We must do something to thank Applejack for single-hoofedly saving the town"

"I know!" Pinkie quickly spoke, leaping up to her hooves. "A party!" She said, before bouncing off.


It had been a week since Applejack stopped Ponyville from being flattened by a stampede, and in that time the town had organized a celebration. It was a way to thank Applejack for saving them, and everypony was doing their part. This included Sentinel, who was currently helping Twilight and Spike make sure everything was prepared. Eventually, this led them to Rarity.

"We all ready?" Twilight asked Rarity, who was currently fixing some ribbons.

"Just one last thing" Rarity said, before her horn glowed. Using magic, she lifted a huge banner atop of Ponyville city hall. "Now we are ready"

"Is Applejack all set?" Twilight asked, as Sentinel marked down the final preparations were done.

"Actually, I haven't seen her all week" Rainbow Dash said, as she flew down towards the group.

"Not since the stampede" Pinkie Pie hopped over to join them.

"But she'll be here for sure. Applejack is never late" Rainbow Dash reassured them.

A couple minutes later, the town gathered in front of City hall where a podium had been set up. Once everypony was accounted for, Twilight walked on stage and towards the podium. Reaching it, she signaled for Sentinel. Who floated over a stack of notes to Twilight, it was her speech that she had prepped. Twilight tapped them on the podium, straightening them out before she began speaking.

"Welcome, everypony! Today we are here to honor a pony we can always count on to help in matters great and small. A pony whose contributions to--" Twilight was cut off by Rainbow Dash, who flew over and knocked away Twilight's notes.

"Did you see Applejack's slick moves out there? What an athlete!" Rainbow pushed Twilight, so she was standing at the Podium. "This week she's gonna help me with my new flying trick, and I know it's gonna be so awesome!" Rainbow Dash said, an excited look on her face.

Twilight pushed Rainbow away from the Podium, and returned to her spot. "Exactly, And..."

Twilight was once more cut off, as Pinkie Pie appeared in front of her. "This week, I get to run Sugarcube Corner for the first time!" Pinkie happily said.

"What does that have to do with Applejack?" Twilight questioned.

"Oh. Applejack, one of the best bakers ever, is gonna help me. Applejack makes everything great, so free samples for everypony!" Pinkie said, causing the ponies watching to cheer in joy.

"Oh-kay, that's great" Twilight pushed Pinkie to the side. "Now if I could just make a point without being inter-"

"Twilight?" Fluttershy spoke, now next to Twilight.

"-rupted" Twilight finished.

"Twilight, I'm so sorry, but I just wanted to mention that Applejack is also helping me this week with the official bunny census, where we count up all the new baby bunnies that were born this season. She's gonna help gather them using her wonderful herding skills" Fluttershy said, before slinking away at the sight of Twilight's annoyance.

"Anyone else? Anyone?" Twilight looked around, waiting for someone to speak.

"Weeelll.." Sentinel spoke, as he walked up to the podium. "Applejack is really crazy strong, so I got her to come help me with my Royal Guard Training! Or, is it "Protector of the Elements" training now? I don't really know...But I guess since it's still-" He noticed Twilight's not very happy expression "You know what..I'll figure it out myself.." He slowly backed away and off the stage.

"Anyone else?" Twilight asked, again. This time, no one cut her off. "No? Well then, as I was trying to say-" Twilight began, as she picked up her notes from the floor. However, Mayor Mare standing next to her caused her to let out a groan of frustration. "Never-mind!" Twilight said, storming off-stage.

Mayor Mare took to the podium. "And so, with no further ado, it is my privilege to give the prize, Pony of Ponyville Award, to our beloved guest of honor, a pony of the utmost trustworthiness, reliability, and integrity. Ponyville's most capable and dependable friend, Applejack!" She said, to the cheers of ponies as a curtain was pulled back. However, the cheers turned into confusion as Applejack was nowhere to be seen.

However, Spike who didn't quite notice this yet, was still cheering. "Cool! Way to go Applejack, that was awesome! I-" He quickly noticed everypony looking at him, and he stopped.

It was a quiet murmur as ponies tried to figure out where Applejack was, until eventually a loud and familiar voice broke the silence.

"I'm here. I'm here" Applejack said, as she yawned and moved through the crowd of ponies. Apples falling out of her basket as she did so. "Sorry I'm late--whoa--I was just... whoa... Did I get your tail?" Applejack eventually stumbled her way to the stage. "Miss Mayor. Thank you kindly for this here... award thingy" Applejack said, walking over to the award and looking at it. " It's so bright and shiny and, heh, heh heh, I sure do look funny heh. Ooo-ooo" Applejack giggled to herself, as she played with her reflection in the trophy. Soon being joined by Pinkie who did the exact same thing.

"That is not right.." Sentinel said, as Twilight walked towards Applejack.

"Okay. Well, thank you Applejack for saving us from that scary stampede, and always being there for everypony" Twilight spoke, brushing off the weirdness.

"Yeah. I like helping the ponyfolks and stuff" Applejack said as she yanwed between words, she even began snoring for a second or two. Before she shook herself awake. "Oh, uh, yeah. Uh, Thanks...." Applejack finally said, before dragging the trophy away.

Twilight watched Applejack walk away with a worried expression. "Was it just me, or did Applejack seem a little--"

"Tired?" Rainbow Answered.

"Dizzy?" Fluttershy added.

"Messy?" Rarity said, causing Rainbow to look at her. "What? Did you see her mane?"

"She seemed fine to me!" Pinkie said, as she began "WOO'ing" for fun.

"Sentinel, what do you think?" Twilight asked, as she began looking around. "Sentinel? Where did he go?"


Sentinel watched Applejack, as she bucked apple trees. A tired expression on her face, he watched as she missed trees and sometimes accidentally kicked over a basket of apples. Eventually, he decided to talk to her...After she had fallen asleep standing up.

"Applejack?" Sentinel said, as he walked up to her. "Applejack!" He shouted, as he shook her.

"Huh, wha?!" Applejack said, as she was awakened. "Oh..Hey Sentinel"

"Applejack, what are you doing?" Sentinel asked, as Applejack walked away from him and began bucking more trees.

"It's Applebuck season" Applejack replied, as she bucked another tree.

"Applebuck season?" Sentinel questioned.

"It's what the Apple family calls harvestin' time" Applejack spoke, as she bucked a tree. "We gather all the apples from the trees so we can sell 'em"

"Wait, but, why are you doing it yourself? Don't you have that big family? Heck, why isn't your brother out here?" Sentinel questioned as he followed Applejack around.

"Big Mac's injured, and they were just here for the Apple Family Reunion. They live all over Equestria" She bucked another tree. "Which means I'm on my own, which means I should really get back to work" She spoke, looking at Sentinel who was in front of her "Ahem...back to work"

"Are you sure that's a good idea? You look like a Cadet who spent all night studying instead of sleeping" He said, as she slightly wobbled.

"Oh, don't you worry 'bout nothing, I am fit as a fiddle" She said, as she walked off, trying to buck a tree, missing.

Sentinel teleported over to her using his magic "You sure you don't want any help? I know I'm a Unicorn, but I can buck a rock in half!"

"Help? No way no how!" Applejack replied, shaking her head.

"But, no way can you do this yourself!" Sentinel replied, as Applejack got in his face.

"Is that a challenge?!" Applejack asked.

"What? Of course not, it's just-" Sentinel began, before being cut off.

"Well, I'm going to prove to you I can! Now if you EXCUSE ME!" She said, as she walked by Sentinel "I've got apples to buck"

Sentinel shook his head, sighing. "Alright, but, take it easy Applejack" He said, as he trotted off.


Sometime later, Sentinel was reading at Golden Oaks library, he had a look of discontent on his face. It was something Twilight, who was currently making sure every book was in order, noticed.

"Hey, Sentinel, is something wrong?" She asked, as she trotted over. "Oh! And where did you go at the party? You just, vanished"

"It's just, I'm worried about Applejack. She's working herself to exhaustion, alone! I mean, you saw how tired she was!" Sentinel replied, as he closed the book. "I offered her help, but she just took it as a challenge" He sighed.

"Well, I'm sure she'll be fine. It is Applejack after all, you said yourself, she's one tough cookie" Twilight reassured him, as she collected some books of her own. "I'll just be reading, you know where to find me if you get too worried" She said, as she trotted off.

Sentinel continued to try and distract himself, after a while, he began to calm, when he heard a loud crash. He quickly stood up. "What was that?!" He ran upstairs, and out to a balcony Twilight was on. "Twilight! I heard a-" He cut himself off, noticing Rainbow Dash hanging over the railing.

"Uhhh, Rainbow?" He questioned "Can we....help you?" He asked, confused.

"I think, somepony else, needs your help..." Rainbow replied.

"Who?" Twilight questioned, putting down her book which Rainbow had interuppted.

"Applejack?" Sentinel asked.

"Yep.." Rainbow replied, as she flopped over and onto the floor in front of them.

Sentinel rolled his eyes. "Thought so...C'mon Twilight, I'll need your help with this one" He said, as he walked off to get ready for another trip to Sweet Apple Acers.

After a quick walk, Sentinel and Twilight arrived to see Applejack hit her head off of a branch while collecting apples. The two approached her.

"Applejack, can we talk?" Twilight asked.

Applejack seemed dazed, before responding. "Can Bees squak? No, I don't think so"

"No, can we talk?" Twilight asked again.

"Twenty stalks? Bean or celery?" Applejack asked.

"No! I need to talk to you!" Twilight yelled back.

"You need to walk to the zoo? Well who's stopping you?" Applejack questioned.

"Applejack, we need to talk to you" Sentinel finally chimed in.

"Oh? Sure, why didn't you say so" Applejack responded "What do you want to talk about?" Applejack asked, she was sort of yelling.

"Rainbow Dash stopped in to see us today!" Sentinel yelled back.

"That's quite neighborly of her!"

"Yeah! Except she crashed into my balcony after you launched her into the air!" Twilight responded to Applejack's comment.

"Oh...yeah..." Applejack responded, more quiet as her head hung. "I wasn't feeling quite myself this morning.."

"That's because you need help!" Sentinel said, aloud,

"Kelp?! I don't need Kelp!" Applejack barked back. "I don't even like seaweed."

"HELP! YOU NEED HELP!" Sentinel yelled back, a tad frustrated at the comical conversation.

"Nothin' doin', Sentinel. I'm gonna prove to you, to Twilight, t'everypony, that I can do this on my own" She said, as she walked right into a branch. "Ow! Now if you'll excuse me, I've gotta go help Pinkie Pie!" She said, as she stumbled away from them.

"See what I was talking about earlier?!" Sentinel spoke to Twilight.

"I do, she's working herself to death! But she isn't keen on help, so what are we going to do?" Twilight responded.

"You know what, I'm going to follow her, try to keep her out of anymore trouble" Sentinel replied. "You go back to Golden Oaks, and just be ready in case anymore ponies come crashing into the place"

"I don't know, I don't think Applejack would be too happy if she found out you were trailing her all day"

"It'll be fine, Twilight, just trust me" Sentinel said, as he walked off to follow Applejack.


"How did I lose her?! She doesn't even know where she's going!" Sentinel vented aloud, as he looked around for Applejack. He was trailing her to see if she'd really not need any help, and, somehow, a clown, balloons, a group of colts and a unicycle caused him to completely lose track of her. "She has to be around here somewhere, unless she already got to Sugar Cube Corner....Gah! Where is that place anyway?" He was still getting used to finding his way around Ponyville, luckily for him, he had been searching for so long, Applejack felt mighty kind enough to find him, more specifically, the crowd she was drawing to the finally found Sugar Cube Corner. "Oh, finally, I-" He was cut off when a mare bumped into him.

"Oops! Sorry Mister!" A bubbly voice spoke.

Turning around, Sentinel found it to be coming from a blond maned, gray mare with bright yellow eyes. "Oh! It's fine, don't worry ma'am!" Offers a hoof. "I'm Sentinel Shield, by the way. No need to call me mister."

She shook his hoof "Hey Sentinel! I'm Derpy! Are you here for the free muffins?"

"Free Muffins?" He questioned, before he smiled, sure, he was supposed to be trailing Applejack, but, free muffins sounded like a steal! "Well, since you brought it up, I'd be happy to get some!" He moved aside. "Please, lead the way mademoiselle!"

"Ooooh! You speak Phrench!" The Gray mare exclaimed cheerfully as they began walking.

"From my mother's side, oui!" He happily exclaimed. "Though, I am behind on the lessons ever since I moved out here with Twilight.

"Wait.....WAIT! You're THAT Sentinel! From The Summer Sun Festival!" She realized and happily announced.

"Well, as far as I know, the one and only." Replying as they entered Sugar Cube Corner.

"Fresh Muffins! Get them while they're hot!" Applejack exclaimed as Sentinel could finally catch an eyeful of her.

He trotted up, and took one, Derpy also taking one for her own. As they did, Applejack tilted her head. "Sentinel? Are you following me?"

"Of course not." He replied. "I just wanted a free muffin, who doesn't?" He began to eat, and....

"Heyia Sentinel! How's-hey, are you alright, you look a little green?" Pinkie chimed in as other ponies began to eat.

Sentinel quickly spit the muffin out "That is disgusting!" He turned, seeing Derpy about to eat hers. "Wait! Don't eat that!"

"Huh?" She replied in confusion, hoovering in the air. "But, it's a free muffin!"

"Trust me, you'll get sick! I haven't tasted this foul since I first tried cooking." Sentinel said, as he took it from her, tossing it and his muffin in the trash.

"C'mon Sentinel! You're overreacting! Me and Applejack made these extra special!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed.

"Yeah, well, just give me two of those Lemon Surprise muffins, I know those were baked this morning." He spoke, taking out some bits to pay.

"Alright, if you insist!" Pinkie happily took the bits and gave him the two muffins.

Sentinel passed one to Derpy. "There, that one will taste much better." He said, popping his in his mouth.

"Wow! Is lemon surprise your favorite too?" Derpy asked.

"Favorite, I love it!" Sentinel exclaimed, and the two began to chatter non-stop...long enough for everyone who did eat to start feeling sick.

In only a few minutes, every pony in Sugar Cube Corner, even Pinkie Pie who ate a muffin to try and prove they were fine, were looking green and feeling sick. Even Sentinel, who spat his out, was feeling a tad woozy. However, he managed to contact some local doctors, and get everyone to a small sick-bay that was quickly set up just outside of Sugar Cube Corner. In a few more moments, Twilight and Spike arrived at the behest of Nurse Redheart, who was now taking care of every sick pony.

"Oh no! What happened?!" Twilight spoke upon arriving and seeing every sick pony.

"It was a mishap with some of the baked goods." Redheart quickly replied.

Twilight took one look at Sentinel, who had fetched some fresh water for the ponies, and asked. "Applejack?"

Sentinel sighed. "Applejack..."

Twilight herself sighed. "Alright, my turn to try. Sentinel, go back to Golden Oaks, okay? I'll handle it from here."

"Alright, I will, after I finish helping Nurse Redheart." He said, as he put down the two buckets of water.


It had been a good thirty minutes, maybe an hour since Sentinel got back to Golden Oaks, he was currently reading a book on ancient artifacts to distract himself from the worry of what poor Fluttershy might be dealing with given how Rainbow and Pinkie's deal with Applejack went. Twilight had returned not long after he got back, and she was a tad frustrated. He reasoned she failed to get Applejack to concede, and was currently brainstorming to try and get her to see a different way. He had just resigned to let Applejack figure it for herself, he did all he could. So, he was just reading.....until the ground started to rumble.

He closed his book with a sigh. "Why do I feel like I know what's gonna happen is somehow Applejack's doing?" Walking outside, he looked and saw Rainbow Dash in the sky.

"STAMPEDE!" She shouted, and flew away.

Sentinel stammered for a bit. "Stampede?! She's helping with baby rabbits! How could it possibly be a-" He turned and looked, and saw a tidal wave of adorable baby rabbits racing towards him. He frowned. "I don't get it." He said, before putting a shield of magic around himself, the rabbits simply ran by him.

He then dropped it, as the bunnies simply dissipated into the town, walking for a bit, he saw three mares on the ground grieving in horror. "Uhh....do you three need help?"

"The horror! The Horror!" One shouted.

"It was awful!" Another cried.

"A terrible, horrible disaster!" The third yelled.

Sentinel took a quick look around at the not at all damaged houses. "....Uhhh....huh?"

"Our gardens, destroyed!" One of the mares cried out, looking over her destroyed garden.

"Every last flower, devoured!" Another said, as her floral stand was empty of anything but the stems

"By... by... THEM!" The third said, as she pointed towards the bunnies, now eating all sorts of vegetation, while poor Fluttershy was trying to stop them.

It didn't take long before Twilight trotted up next to Sentinel, and they both collectively sighed in anger.

"I think this is where the line is drawn." Sentinel said.

"Agreed, enough is enough!" Twilight said, as they both began trotting towards Sweet Apple Acres.


Twilight and Sentinel approached Applejack as she bucked a tree, collecting the falling apples. Sentinel stood back, letting Twilight go in first to speak with the exhausted mare.

"All right, Applejack. Your applebucking hasn't just caused you problems, it's over-propelled Pegasus', practically poisoned plenty of ponies, and terrorized bushels of brand new bouncing baby bunnies. I don't care what you say, you. Need. Help." Twilight said, clearly and firmly to the mare.

"Ha! No, I don't." Applejack said confidently, as she pointed to a stretch of empty trees. "Look, I did it. I harvested the entire Sweet Apple Acres without your help. How d'ya like them apples?" She then cockily asked, before her big brother, Big Mac, walked up behind her and cleared his throat.

"Um, how do you like them apples?" He said, as he pointed to an entire portion of the orchard that had been untouched by Applejack.

This was a bit too much for her, she began to mumble and stammer, looking woozy. Eventually, she flopped to the ground, Sentinel just barely stopping her from slamming onto it full force.

Sentinel trotted over to her, and concernedly began looking down at her. "Applejack? Are you alright? Applejack?" He began to ask, as she fluttered back to conciseness. "Okay, good...Now, please, listen. Twilight and I completely understand and respect the Apple family ways. You're always there to help anypony in need, so maybe you can put a little of your stubborn pride aside and allow your friends to help you?" He asked her kindly.

Applejack sighed. "Okay, Sentinel, Twilight, okay.."

"We're not taking no for a-" Sentinel began before stopping. "Wait, come again?"

"Yes, please, I need your help, I really need your help.." Applejack said, shakily getting up.

Sentinel smiled, and offered her a hoof. "Good! I was worried for a second!" He chuckled.

Within a few short minutes, Rarity, Pinkie, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash arrived at the call of Twilight. They began to work on harvesting the Apples, Sentinel and Rainbow even started a small competition on who could get the most trees done, which while good for harvesting apples, wasn't the best for Spike and Pinkie who had to carry the bucket loads of apples they got down.

After a while, Applejack rolled out a cart with some juice down to the group as they worked. "How about y'all take a little break? I got some fine apple juice waitin' for ya!" Applejack happily said, as the ponies began to make their way over.

"Sounds good, gives Rainbow time to catch her breath!" Sentinel said, using a cloth to wipe the sweat from his brow.

"Ha! You sure you aren't the one who needs to catch their breath!" Rainbow replied.

"Maybe I do, because I am 4 trees ahead!" Sentinel quipped back.

"Alright, enough you two." Twilight said with a chuckle. "Besides, my magic lets me get 10 trees at once, so, if anything, I'm winning." She said with a wink as they all made it to the table.

Applejack let out a sigh as they did. "Girls, and Sentinel, I can't thank you enough for this help. I was acting a bit stubborn."

"A bit?" Sentinel and Twilight said in unison, reflecting on how stubborn she had been the whole day.

"Okay. A mite stubborn, and I'm awful sorry. Now, I know the town gave me the Prized Pony award, but the real award is having you six as my friends!" She said with a smile.

And with that, everypony began to drink.

"Phew!" Rainbow let out after a sip. "That applebucking sure made me hungry!" She exclaimed, as Spike walked by with a handful of...

"Ewww! Spike! Did you fish those out of the trash?!" Sentinel asked, recognizing he had the muffins from earlier that day.

"Oh c'mon! They're really good!" Spike replied, to which everypony collectively gagged, before beginning to walk home, the sun starting to set. Spike chased after them with the muffins. "Just a nibble? C'mon!"

Twilight rolled her eyes. "Sentinel, since his hands are full, do you mind taking a note?"

Sentinel, using his magic, summoned a quill and some paper. "No problem!"

Twilight giggled. "Have you been preparing for this moment?"

"For a bit, yeah." He chuckled, before readying to write.

Twilight cleared her throat.

Dear Princess Celestia,

My friend Applejack is the best friend a pony could ever have, and she's always there to help anypony. The only trouble]is when she needs help, she finds it hard to accept it, so while friendship is about giving of ourselves to friends, it's also about accepting what our friends have to offer.

Your faithful student,

Twilight Sparkle.

Sentinel finished writing, wrapping it up, he floated it over to Spike. "Calling air Spike, we got a package!"

Comments ( 5 )

11021818
Youre welcome.

The first comment, sorry, old habit

Another good chapter, loved the cameo of derpy

*Seeing that not having the certain purple dragon*.... Why am I smell that this is like "killing" Spike one?.

*See the cover* YOu gonna ship OC with Twilight, don't you? :rainbowderp:

11021971
I would never harm Spike, he is a precious green bean

As for the cover, that actually wasn't my choice to have them looking at each-other like that, it was the artist, no hidden messages to be found here

One right here tho

11022564
I use "kill" mean different way, not litterally (if you want to know the example, I can give you). But anyway, I see you make your OC is not 7th elements, good way.

Login or register to comment