• Published 30th Apr 2020
  • 1,161 Views, 20 Comments

A Guards Tale - Sentinel Shield



Sentinel Shield is a Royal Guard. However, he is not the best at his Job. Some even wonder why he was chosen to escort Celestia's prize student to ease her nerves of Nightmare Moon returning. Little did everypony know, this would change everything.

  • ...
3
 20
 1,161

A Royal Assignment: Part 1

Sentinel trotted nervously through the castle that stood tall over Canterlot, the castle of Princess Celestia, the castle he was meant to protect. He was a Royal Guard, a role to be proud of! His cutie mark showed it, with a sword raised proud with the sun and moon behind it. It represented his purpose, to protect Celestia who raised the sun and moon and the ponies who bask beneath the sun and moon. At least, that's what he and most others interpret.

However, he was not the best guard. He was seemingly always being reprimanded by the Captain of the Guard, Shining Armor for just about everything. He fell asleep at his post, his armor wasn't polished, he was marching sloppily. If you can think of something, he was yelled at for it. Now, Celestia always covered for him. She covered for everypony on the guard, but even Sentinel thought her patience was running thin as she had asked to speak with him personally. Dread filled his mind as he thought about if he was fired, what if he was forced to get a regular job? This was his calling! The dread worsened as he approached the throne room, two guards standing in front of it and smiling at him.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't Sentinel Snooze. Somepony finally found a reason to stay awake?" One of the guards mocked.

"Very funny Steel, maybe you should be a comedian instead of a Guard" Sentinel replied.

"I'm not the one who should be looking for a new line of work, am I?"

"Whatever, we'll see who's laughing when I'm Captain one day" Sentinel said, walking past them as he opened the doors to the large throne room.

"Maybe you should be a comedian!" Steel replied as he and the other guard began laughing, the door closing being the only thing to silence them.

Sentinel walked towards the throne of Celestia, taking off his helmet and kneeling before her. "Princess, you summoned me?"

Celestia smiled. "Ah, Sentinel Shield..How are you, my little pony?"

Sentinel stood up. "Fine, thank you. But you wanted to see me?"

"Indeed I did, I have noticed you seem to be...Slacking off on your duties as a guard, are you feeling sick?"

"No, it's just...I don't know.." Sentinel replied, trying to string together an excuse.

"It seems that you do not have a reason for this lack of effort.." Celestia flew off her throne and landed next to the stallion. "You know that I cannot have my guards be lazy, unless you want to see me and all my little ponies put in danger"

"Of course not, I'll try harder! I promise!"

"You have promised me before, but that seems to not have worked.." Celestia spoke, as she used magic to gently nudge Sentinel to start walking with her. "You know what I must do.."

"F-fire me?" Sentinel asked nervously.

"Goodness no! Where did you ever get that idea?" She laughed, as they walked out of the throne room and down the halls of the castle. "No, that would be foolish..I have a much better idea.."

"A demotion?" Sentinel asked.

"Not a demotion, some would think this a promotion actually. You are being assigned to a very important mission, it involves the Summer Sun Celebration"

"Summer Sun Celebration, but I thought you had already picked the Guards to secure Ponyville" Sentinel said.

"I have, but I have another job that needs to be done...You know my prized pupil Twilight Sparkle, yes?"

Sentinel knew Twilight a little, sometimes she would ask him to help carry books but she did that with most guards that were close by when she was carrying books from the castle library to her residence in Canterlot. "I know her from a few interactions, but why do you ask?"

"Well, she is nervous that Nightmare Moon may return and has been reading more than usual about it. Not to mention all the letters she has sent me on it."

"Nightmare Moon? Isn't that an old bedtime story to keep little colts and fillies from misbehaving?" Sentinel questioned.

"Regardless, I'm sending her to Ponyville to oversee the preparations and I would like you to be her royal escort." Celestia said, barely acknowledging what he said.

"Me? But why?" Sentinel asked, confused at why he would be given such an important task.

"I believe it is just what you need to prove yourself and be the guard I know you can be, perhaps all you need is a new environment to restart the passion you had when a young colt first trying for the guard"

"Celestia I..I don't know what to say..." Sentinel was speechless.

"Say that you will not fail me in this task" She smiled, summoning a note and handing it to him. "Return to your barracks and leave your armor, then go to the address on the note and meet with Twilight. After that you are to listen to her orders."

"I will not let you down, Princess" He saluted her, before quickly trotting off to get ready.


Sentinel trotted down the streets of Canterlot, saddlebag on as he trotted up to the building the note had led him to. It was big and looked like it could house an entire family plus more, no way only one pony lived here. He walked up and knocked on the door, the door opened and he saw the violet mare known as Twilight Sparkle standing in the doorway. "Hello, my name is-" He spoke before the door was slammed on his face, he stood dazed and confused at this for a brief minute before knocking again.

Twilight opened the door. "What? I'm a very busy pony!"

Sentinel cleared his throat. "My name is Sentinel Shield, I have been sent on behalf of Princess Celestia to escort you from now until after the Summer Sun Celebration" He handed her the letter.

Twilight read over it. "So, you listen to my command?"

"Yep! I am your own personal-"

"Then you are dismissed, I do not need an escort" She began shutting the door.

Sentinel used his magic to stop the door. "That's not how that works, I am under orders from Celestia"

Twilight sighed. "Fine, come in but don't touch anything" Twilight opened the door, allowing Sentinel to enter.

"Whoa, this place is huge!" Sentinel walked in, immediately looking at the massive collection of books.

"Well, you can't exactly fit a library in a regular house" Twilight said, walking over to a small purple dragon who was reading a comic. She took the comic from him and introduced him. "This is Spike, my lovely assistant!"

"Twilight I was reading-" Spike began, before noticing Sentinel. "Uh, who dat?"

"Sentinel Shield, I'm Twilight's personal guard for now" He walked over to the dragon and extended a hoof.

"Nice to meet you!" Spike shook Sentinel's hoof. "But, why?"

"Well, Celestia thought I'd be good for easing Twilight's worries about Nightmare Moon returning"

"Don't know why, not as if you can do much when she does" Twilight said, grabbing her saddlebag. "Now come on, we don't wanna be late!" Twilight said, as she walked back towards the front door.

Spike and Sentinel followed her outside, waiting a short distance from her house as a chariot came into view and landed. The trio walked towards it, then one of the Pegasus spoke up.

"Sentinel Snooze? You're the escort?" It was Steel, guess he was on transport duty.

"Sentinel Snooze?" Twilight questioned.

"You don't know? Sentinel is probably one of the worst guards in the force!"

"No I'm not!" Sentinel yelled out.

"Yeah you are! Celestia only did this so somepony good at their job can take over your post!"

"She did not! She told me-" Sentinel tried to defend himself before Steel cut him off.

"She only told you what she wants you to hear, face it Sentinel! You are no Royal Guar-"

"Hey! Leave him alone!" Twilight spoke up. "We should have left by now, but you cannot act professional for five minutes! We are going to be behind schedule! Now I want you to fly back and tell Celestia to send a better Pegasus!"

Steel and everypony around was stunned into silence by Twilight, Steel however relented and left quickly. Another Pegasus replaced him and they left hurriedly. As they flew through the air, Sentinel looked at Twilight.

"So, going to explain what that was about?"

"Explain?" Twilight responded in confusion.

"You know, how you exploded on Steel?"

"Oh that? Well, if he was going to be a bully then he can face Celestia's disappointment. And trust me, she's not going to like the fact he made a scene in front of her prized student" Twilight replied.

"Well, thanks for stepping in and defending me like that" Sentinel thanked her.

"Hey, he was making us late! I had to do something!"

"Don't worry, I'll make sure we get ahead of schedule to make up for it" Sentinel said with a wink and a smile.


"So, that's Ponyville?" Sentinel asked, as they neared the small town from up above.

"Yep.." Twilight responded, a bit apathetically.

"Oh come on, lighten up a bit! Doesn't look all bad!" Sentinel replied as they now flew over the town.

"Yeah, and look on the bright side, Twilight. The Princess arranged for you to stay in a library. Doesn't that make you happy?" Spike asked.

Twilight perked up at this. "Yes, yes it does. You know why? Because I'm right! I'll check on the preparations as fast as I can, then get to the library to find some proof of Nightmare Moon's return" She said as they began to land.

"But, what about the "friends" part?" Sentinel questioned.

"Yeah, the Princess said to-"

"She said to check on preparations. I am her student, and I'll do my royal duty, but the fate of Equestria does not rest on me making friends." Twilight cut Spike off as they finally landed, stepping off she thanked the two Pegasus that transported them.

"Come on Twilight! Just give the ponies of Ponyville a chance, maybe they have some interesting things to say!" Spike said, as a Pink pony trotted towards them. "Come on, just try it!"

"Uh...hello?" Twilight asked, causing the Pink pony to jump up and gasp before they quickly zoomed past them. The two unicorns and dragon look confusingly in the direction she ran off in.

"You were right Spike, very interesting.." Sentinel said, as Twilight turned and began walking. Soon he and Spike began to follow as they began checking on the preparations.

The first stop on the list was for the banquet, and it led them to somewhere called "Sweet Apple Acres" which was a rather large farm on the edge of town. It was surrounded by hundreds if not thousands of apple trees, and unlike ponyville it had dirt paths. As they arrived on the farm, they heard someone shout.

"YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAW!"

They quickly turned to see an orange coated mare wearing a cowboy hat running towards an apple tree, she stopped in front of it and turned. Bucking the tree with her back legs, Sentinel swore every apple fell out of the tree and into the baskets below.

Twilight let out a sigh. "Let's get this over with" She said, her head low as she approached. Sentinel and Spike followed as she raised her head to speak. "Good afternoon, my name is Twilight Sparkle-"

She was cut off by the orange mare shaking her hoof energetically. "Well, howdy-doo, Miss Twilight, a pleasure makin' your acquaintance. I'm Applejack. We here at Sweet Apple Acres sure do like makin' new friends!" She said as she continued to shake Twilight's hoof.

"Friends? Actually, I—" Twilight said before the shaking abruptly stopped, she looked to see Sentinel using both hooves to hold both mare's arms steady.

"Ahem!" He cleared his throat. "Apologies miss Applejack, but Twilight Sparkle would prefer it if you toned it down a little" Sentinel said, letting go and allowing both mares to pull their arms back.

"My apologies Twilight" She looked at the Unicorn Stallion. "And who might you be?"

"I am Sentinel Shield, Royal Escort for Twilight Sparkle while she overlooks preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration!" He said proudly, putting a hoof on his chest.

"Oh, is that why yer here?" Applejack asked.

Twilight rolled her eyes at what Sentinel said. "We are here to check on the food, you're in charge of it, correct?" She asked Applejack.

"We sure as sugar are! Would you care to sample some?"

"As long as it doesn't take too long..." Twilight replied, as Applejack zoomed off and began ringing a rather old looking triangle.

"Soup's on, everypony!" She yelled, as a rumbling began.

Twilight, Sentinel and Spike turned around, only to be greeted by a stampede of ponies running all around them. They even found themselves being pushed forward by the group as dust was kicked up all around them. When the dust finally cleared, they found themselves sitting at a table between some trees.

"Now-" Applejack popped up beside them. "Why don't I introduce you to the Apple family?"

"Thanks, but I really need to hurry—" Twilight said before being cut off once again, food being put on the table as Applejack introduced her family.

"This here's Apple Fritter. Apple Bumpkin. Red Gala. Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Caramel Apple, Apple Strudel, Apple Tart, Baked Apples, Apple Brioche, Apple Cinnamon Crisp-" Applejack took a deep breath. "Big McIntosh, Apple Bloom aaaaaaaaaand-" She shoved a Granny Smith into Sentinel's mouth for extra effect. "Granny Smith. Up'n'attem, Granny Smith, we got guests." She spoke to a rather old looking pony, rocking in a rocking chair.

The old pony snorted as they woke up. "Wha..? Soup's on? I'm up, here I come, ahm comin'..." She said, as she got up and walked over.

Sentinel crunched down and swallowed the apple. "Hmmm, juicy.."

Applejack then put a hoof around Twilight. "Why, I'd say you're already part of the family!"

Twilight began nervously laughing. "Okay, well, I can see the food situation is handled, so we'll be on our way.." She turned and looked at Sentinel whose mouth was watering over the food. "Sentinel.."

Sentinel snapped out of it. "R-right! Sorry everypony, but we must be on our way!"

"Aren't you gonna stay for brunch?" The young and earlier named Apple Bloom said, giving them puppies eyes.

"Well I uh, you see ummm" Sentinel mumbled out.

"Sorry, but we have an awful lot to do..." Twilight said. as the entire Apple family gave off a disappointed sigh.

"Oh come on Twilight, maybe just a few minutes wouldn't hurt?" Sentinel asked, cracking from the pressure.

Twilight tried to stand firm, but even she finally broke. "Fine..."

The Apple family broke out in joyous cheers, as Twilight, Sentinel and Spike tried every last dish they had. Before finally leaving to continue the preparations. They returned to town, as Spike checked the list.

"Food's all taken care of, next is weather" Spike said, as Twilight tailed behind them.

"Ugh... I ate too much pie..." Twilight said, as Sentinel walked beside her to ensure he did not fail in his task and kept her safe.

"Hmm, there's supposed to be a Pegasus pony named Rainbow Dash clearing the clouds." Spike said, as they all looked up.

"Well, she's not doing a very good job, is she?" Twilight pointed out as they noticed all the clouds hanging above them.

"TWILIGHT LOOK OUT!" Sentinel yelled, pushing her out of the way as a blur of rainbow crashed into him. Sending him into a nearby mud-puddle with a loud SPLAT. Twilight and Spike looked towards where he was now laying, in a pool of mud with a cyan Pegasus on-top of him.

The Pegasus stood up and looked at Sentinel, and let out a small chuckle before leaning down towards him. "Uh, 'scuse me?" She said, still sheepishly laughing as she flew up and began floating above him.

"Ugh..I feel like Celestia herself just slapped me.." Sentinel said, as he sat up. He looked up at the Pegasus rather angrily.

"Lemme help you." They said, still laughing as they floated over a cloud and bounced on it. This caused the cloud to rain water on Sentinel, washing the mud off but soaking him fully. "Oops, I guess I overdid it. Um, uh, how about this? My very own patented Rain-Blow Dry!" The Pegasus spoke as she began flying around Sentinel so fast that it caused a rainbow twister to appear and blow away all the water, when she was done she landed. "No no. Don't thank me. You're quite welcome."

Sentinel continued to give her an angry glare as now his mane was frizzled and messy, it looked like a brown bush was on his head. The Pegasus began laughing, falling to the ground, soon Spike joined in.

"Stop laughing! Both of you!" Sentinel shouted angrily.

"Oh come on, lighten up a little.." Twilight said, a bit mockingly.

"She nearly crashed into you and did crash into me! She messed up my mane and now she's laughing! I will-"

"Sentinel! I command you, calm down!" Twilight said, noticing how mad he was getting.

"Woah dude, chill out! It's just some harmless fun" The Pegasus said, as Sentinel gritted his teeth.

"So, guessing you're Rainbow Dash?" Twilight asked.

"The one and only! Why, have you heard of me?" She said, as she now hovered next to Twilight.

"I heard you were supposed to be keeping the sky clear" Twilight said, before sighing. "I'm Twilight Sparkle, and the Princess sent me to check on the weather" She then pointed toward Spike and Sentinel. "This is Sentinel Shield, a Royal Guard and my escort. That's Spike, my assistant."

"Wait a second" Rainbow flew back over to Sentinel, getting right into his face. "You're a Royal Guard?"

"Yes, I am" He replied coldly, trying to bottle up his still existent anger.

"Does that mean you get to talk with the Wonderbolts?!"

"Uh, yeah. They do come around the castle from time to time, and one time-" Sentinel continued before Rainbow Squealed.

"Can you help me meet them during the Summer Sun Celebration! I'm actually practicing right now for when they are here!"

Sentinel laughed. "You? You can't even keep the sky clear!" He said, pointing up at the sky.

"Pfft, I could clear the sky in ten seconds flat.." Rainbow smugly replied.

"Prove it"

"You are sooo on!" Rainbow Dash said, before zooming across the sky. She flipped and did loops as she cleared the sky of every last cloud. In exactly ten seconds the sky was clear and she landed in front of Sentinel. "Ten. Seconds. Flat."

Sentinel and Twilight looked at her, jaws hanging in pure shock. Rainbow Dash laughed as she flew backwards. "You should see the look on your face. Ha!" She then quickly zoomed between the two. "You two are a laugh, can't wait to hang out some more!" She then flew off.

"She's amazing!" Spike said, turning to the two before a slight laugh escaped as Sentinel's still goofy and puffed up mane. Twilight then led them inside what Sentinel believed to be city hall, it was beautifully decorated. Flowers, banners, it was amazing!

"Beautiful..." Spike said dreamily.

"Yes, the décor is coming along nicely. This ought'a be quick. I'll be at the library in no time. Beautiful indeed" Twilight said as they looked around.

"Not the décor, her!" Spike pointed towards a white Unicorn with a purple mane who was sorting ribbons. His eyes were hearts as he began making sure he looked nice. "How are my spines? Are they straight?"

Twilight rolled her eyes as she approached the Unicorn. "Good afternoon-"

"Just a moment, please! I'm 'in the zone', as it were. Oh, yes! Sparkle always does the trick, does it not? Why, Rarity, you are a talent." She said as she placed a sparkling and red ribbon on a pole, she turned and looked at the group. "Now how can I help yooooooahahaah!" She said, looking at Sentinel. "Oh my stars, darling! Whatever happened to your coiffure?!"

"My what?" He then noticed her eyes on his mane. "Oh, my mane? Long story but unrelated"

"Very long story, we're just here to check on the decorations. Then we'll be out of your hair" Twilight said.

"Out of my hair? What about his hair!" She walked by and began nudging Sentinel forward.

"Wait what? Where are you taking me?" He said as Twilight sighed and followed along with Spike. Soon, they found themselves in a rather fancy hybrid of a house and tailor as Rarity used magic to give both Sentinel and Twilight new outfits.

"Nope..No...too green...too yellow...retro, blegh!" Rarity said, as she continued to swap out outfits with magic. "So tell me again darlings, where are you two from?"

"Uhh, Canterlot.." Twilight replied.

Rarity let out a gasp. "Canterlot! Oh, I am so envious! The glamour, the sophistication! I have always dreamed of living there! I can't wait to hear all about it! We are gonna be the best of friends, you and I..." She said, getting closer to Twilight before looking at the outfit she gave her. "Emeralds?! What was I thinking? Let me get you some rubies!" She said before running off.

Sentinel threw off his outfit, luckily his mane was back to normal. "Quick! Before she gets out hair dye or something!"

Twilight and Sentinel began running, Twilight picking up Spike on the way. Luckily they managed to escape the fashionista and were back on track..sorta..

"What's next Spike?" Twilight asked.

"Oh uhhh.." Spike got out the list. "Music! It's the last one.."

"Good, I will be on high alert to make sure nothing bad happens.." Sentinel said, a bit embarrassed at not being able to stand firm all day. First it was the Apple Family, then Rainbow Dash showing him up and now this Rarity situation.

They stopped as they heard whistling, making their way towards it, they saw a yellow Pegasus leading a choir of birds. "Oh my. Um, stop please, everyone-" They said softly, as they then flew over to a blue-jay. "umm. Excuse me, sir? I mean no offense, but your rhythm is just a teeny-tiny bit off. Now, follow me, please. A-one, a-two, a-one two three-"

"Hello!" Twilight said, walking towards the Pegasus and accidentally scaring off the birds. "Oh my, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to frighten your birds. I'm just here to check up on the music and it's sounding beautiful" She said as the Pegasus landed quietly....They just stood there for a moment...no one saying anything...in awkward silence...."I'm Twilight Sparkle" Twilight said, breaking the quiet for a second before it resumed......."What's your name?" She then asked.

"Uhm..I'm Fluttershy.." She meekly said.

"I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that.."

"I'm Fluttershy..." She said again, this time more of a mumble.

"Pardon?" Twilight spoke.

Fluttershy simply squealed, turning her head away and slightly walking back as her birds returned.

"Well, um, it looks like your birds are back, so I guess everything's in order. Keep up the good work!" Twilight tried to say encouragingly. Only getting more squeaking as a response.

"Well that was something.." Twilight said to Spike and Sentinel who walked from behind the cover of the bush.

Fluttershy gasped before quickly rushing over, bumping into the back of Twilight and sending her flying. " A baby dragon!"

"Twilight!" Sentinel quickly backed up and caught her...Well, more so had himself be a cushion for her to land on..

"Oh, I've never seen a baby dragon before. He's sooo cute!" Fluttershy said.

Spike turned and looked at Sentinel and Twilight. "Well, well, well...!"

"Oh my, he talks. I didn't know dragons could talk. That's just so incredibly wonderful I, I just don't even know what to say!" Fluttershy said in response to Spike.

Twilight recovered and used magic to place Spike back on her back. "Well, in that case we'd better be going..." She said as they began to walk away.

"Wait, wait! What's his name?" Fluttershy asked.

"I'm Spike!"

"Hello Spike, I'm Fluttershy. Wow, a talking dragon! And what do dragons talk about?" She asked.

"Well, what do you wanna know?" Spike asked her.

"Everything.." Fluttershy responded.

Twilight sighed, as they walked down the road back into town and towards the library the princess was having them stay at as Spike told his life story.

"..and that's the story of my whole entire life! Well, up until today. Do you wanna hear about today?" Spike asked after finishing.

Before Fluttershy could respond, Sentinel spoke up. "Well look at the time!" He walked next to Fluttershy. "Fluttershy, right? It's getting really late..You best be off. The Summer Sun Celebration is soon!"

"Oh no, that's quite alright..I still have spare time!" Fluttershy said in response.

"Well uhhh, oh! My poor little dragon needs his sleep.." Twilight said, bumping Spike off her back. "See? He's so sweepy he can't even keep his widdle bawance!"

Fluttershy quickly flew over and picked him up. "Poor thing, you simply must get into bed..." She said, flying inside as Twilight and Sentinel quickly followed after her.

Sentinel gently pushed her outside. "He sure does! Twilight will get right on that! Have a good day!" He said before slamming the door shut and letting out a sigh of relief.

"Thanks Sentinel, took you long enough to stand up to one of them" Twilight said as they walked around in the dark.

"Rude much?" Spike said.

"Sorry, Spike, but I have to convince the Princess that Nightmare Moon is coming, and we're running out of time! I just need to be alone so I can study without a bunch of crazy ponies trying to make friends all the time." Twilight said as she walked around the dark room. "Now, where's the light?" She said, as the lights flicked on and the three found themselves surrounded by ponies.

"SURPRISE!" They all shouted as balloons and confetti rained down.

Twilight let out a groan as Sentinel looked around. Before the pink pony from when they first arrived hopped in front of them. "Surprise!" She blew a party whistle. "Hi, I'm Pinkie Pie, and I threw this party just for you! Were you surprised? Were ya? Were ya? Huh huh huh?"

"How did you know we'd be here? That information was classified!" Sentinel asked, seemingly being ignored.

"Oh don't be silly! You dropped a letter saying you'd be here!" She handed him the letter from Celestia he was given so he'd know the directions. Twilight looked at him annoyed and he blushed.

"We are very surprised, libraries are supposed to be quiet.." Twilight said.

“Well, that's silly! What kind of welcome party would this be if it were quiet? I mean, duh, bo-ring! Y'see, I saw you when you first got here, remember? You were all "hello" and I was all-" Pinkie gasped deeply, continuing to tell her story as she followed Twilight over to a table with drinks. "remember? Y'see I've never saw you before and if I've never saw you before that means you're new, 'cause I know everypony, and I mean everypony in Ponyville!" Pinkie Pie continued as Twilight accidentally drank hot sauce. "And if you're new, that meant you haven't met anyone yet, and if you haven't met anyone yet, you must not have any friends, and if you don't have any friends then you must be lonely, and that made me so sad, then I had an idea, and that's why I went-" She took a deep breath "I must throw a great big ginormous super-duper spectacular welcome party and invite everyone in Ponyville! See? And now you have lots and lots of friends!" Pinkie Pie finally finished as Twilight turned around, her face red from the hot sauce. Her mane caught fire as she rushed off upstairs. "Aww, she's so happy she's crying!"

Sentinel used magic to float the bottle she had poured over to him "Hot sauce?"

"OOooooh!" Pinkie took it and poured a heap onto a cupcake before eating it whole. "What? It's good!"

After a while of trying to disperse the party, Sentinel gave up and went to find Twilight. Making his way upstairs he opened a door, music blaring as he did. "Twilight? Are you here?" He closed the door behind him.

"What do you want, Sentinel?"

"I uh.." He didn't really have much to say. "I just want to apologize..."

Twilight rolled over and looked off the side of her bed. "Apologize?"

"Yeah, for..." He sighed. "For failing you.."

"Failing me? How?" She asked.

"Well, I was assigned as your personal guard! I was meant to make sure everything went smoothly and no harm came to you! Instead, I was lazy and cowardly..If I just did my job right none of this-"

"Hey, stop that" Twilight said, cutting him off. He looked up at her, the moon light glowing behind her as she sighed. "Look, it's not your fault that every pony in this town is crazy. You tried your best and I thank you for that.." She sighed again. "Though, I can't say I'm all too happy I didn't get the chance to study up more on Nightmare Moon and the Elements of Harmony...Let's hope the Princess was right about it being an old pony tale.."

They stood in silence as Twilight looked out her window at the moon, the silence persisted until Spike came knocking. "Come on you two! The Princess is about to raise the sun!"

Twilight got down from her bed. "Alright then let's go.." She said, as they began walking towards the city hall. Soon they found themselves part of a massive crowd of ponies. They all waited in silence before music began playing and a spotlight came down on a mare with a gray mane standing on stage.

"Fillies and gentlecolts, as mayor of Ponyville, it is my great pleasure to announce the beginning of the Summer Sun Celebration!" She said, causing ponies to erupt in cheers except for Twilight and Sentinel..

Twilight took notice that Sentinel was looking around the room. "What's wrong?" She asked.

"I don't know but...my instincts are telling me somethings wrong.." He looked around, he didn't see anything out of the ordinary but something in his gut said something was wrong.

"Are you sure?"

"I don't know for sure...But I don't like this feeling.." Sentinel said, as the mayor continued.

"In just a few moments, our town will witness the magic of the sunrise, and celebrate this, the longest day of the year!" As the mayor spoke, Twilight looked at the moon. Her expression grew sour as the Mare in the Moon disappeared. "And now, it is my great honor to introduce to you the ruler of our land, the very pony who gives us the sun and the moon each and every day, the good, the wise, the bringer of harmony to all of Equestria..." The spot light moved to a higher up balcony as Rarity pulled back the curtains. "Princess Celestia!"

However, when the curtains pulled back Celestia was nowhere to be seen. Sentinel's heart dropped as ponies began murmuring. "This can't be good.." Twilight commented as Sentinel looked at her.

"I told you something wasn't right!" He quietly shouted.

"Remain calm, everypony, there must be a reasonable explanation!" The mayor said as ponies continued to chatter.

"Ooh, ooh, I love guessing games! Is she hiding?" Pinkie Pie asked, looking around.

"She's gone!" Rarity said, having gone to search for her.

Everyone gasped, and the chatter continued. Sentinel continued looking around, something had to be wrong. That's when he too noticed the moon. "Twi-Twilight...." He said nervously. "Where is the Mare in the Moon?" he asked as he heard Pinkie Pie yelp in terror. Looking at the balcony he saw a dark blue-ish mist arise, it almost looked like the night sky. He watched in terror as out of it a jet-black alicorn with armor on took form, looking down at everyone.

"Nightmare Moon..." Twilight said, as Spike fainted.

"Oh, my beloved subjects. It's been so long since I've seen your precious little sun-loving faces." The Alicorn spoke, everypony had a look of fear on their faces.

"What did you do with our Princess?!" Rainbow Dash shouted as Applejack held her back.

The Alicorn laughed. "Why, am I not royal enough for you? Don't you know who I am?"

"Ooh, ooh, more guessing games!" Pinkie Pie said, cheerfully. "Um, Hokey Smokes! How about... Queen Meanie! No! Black Snooty, Black Snooty—" She was stopped by Applejack shoving a cupcake in her mouth.

"Does my crown no longer count now that I have been imprisoned for a thousand years? Did you not recall the legend? Did you not see the signs?" She said mockingly.

"I did!" Twilight shouted. "And I know who you are, you're the Mare in the Moon! Nightmare Moon!"

Everyone gasped, as Nightmare Moon smiled. "Well well well, somepony who remembers me. Then you also know why I'm here." She said in a sinister tone.

"You're here to... to..." Twilight went silent and swallowed hard.

Nightmare Moon laughed once more. "Remember this day, little ponies, for it was your last. From this moment forth, the night will last forever!" She shouted and began laughing, her mane became a storm of thunder and lightning. Everypony looked at her in fear as she laughed.