• Published 21st Aug 2012
  • 1,205 Views, 7 Comments

Machisimo In Question - Poppinfresh



When Soarin comes to a deep, personal realization, he's not sure how to handle it.

  • ...
5
 7
 1,205

In A One Horse Town, One Sticks Out

“I still can’t believe you’re making me do this.”
It was that time of the year, The Wonderbolts were making the rounds throughout Equestria, visiting large cities and small villages alike.
Soarin didn’t like where they were headed next, a little nowhere village called Ponyville. Most of the town’s allure seemed to come from the fact that it was relatively close to Canterlot than any other low population town around.
It wasn’t so much that Soarin didn’t enjoy touring around Equestria. After all, whenever they would go somewhere like Las Pegasus, or Fillydelphia, the parties were spectacular and unforgettable. Places like Ponyville on the other hand, while always trying their best to give a big welcome, never could quite match up to the bigger cities’ festivities. It helped alleviate some of Soarin’s boredom if he complained, though.

“I’m not making you do anything,” Spitfire whispered back through a smile. She waved to the small but excited crowd as she continued to speak, “You know we do this every year, just suck it up and try to enjoy yourself for once.”

“Fine, but don’t expect me to actually enjoy myself.”

“I never do.”

The small welcome ceremony lasted only about an hour before the crowd dispersed, leaving only a handful of fillies centered around one very excited looking pony.
Soarin decided to leave as quickly as possible, he recognized the particularly excited pony with the rainbow mane. She was a good flyer, but she seemed… unstable.

Soarin found Spitfire talking to Fleetfoot behind the small stand they’d been sitting on. “I’m gonna head out and take a nap, Spits. Where are we staying in this place again?”

“Do you have to call me that when our fans are so close? I’d really appreciate it if that didn’t catch on elsewhere, Doughboy.”

“You’re just jealous you couldn’t think of a better nickname for me. Where are we staying though?”

“I don’t know, somewhere called ‘Sweet Apple Acres,’ apparently they had the most room here. And I didn’t give you that nickname, Doughboy, all those sweets you’ve been eating did.”

Soarin looked down at himself, “I’m not that doughy, I’ve gained a few pounds but that’s all muscle-!”

“Ah can take ya to Sweet Apple Acres.” A sturdy young pony said, cutting in on Soarin’s gloating.

“You can?” Soarin asked?

“Ah sure can, after all, it is where I call home, Doughboy.”

Soarin sighed, “Thanks, would you mind showing me the way?”

“No problem, Doughy. Ah’m Applejack, by the way.” Applejack said as she started out in the direction of her home.

“I’m Soarin, and uh, thanks for letting me stay at your place.” Soarin made a face at Spitfire as Applejack led him away. Spitfire was laughing too hard at Soarin’s newfound nickname to care.



Soarin let his new host Applejack talk the entire way back to the place where he would be staying. She certainly had an odd obsession with apples, he probably would have been terrified to spend the next two days there had she not mentioned pie somewhere along the line in her one sided conversation.
Soarin sighed to himself as Applejack continued to talk. He felt sort of bad for not listening to what she had to say, but every time he would tune back into the conversation he heard more babble about apples and apples and apples. He just didn’t care enough about that one particular fruit to talk about it that much.

Eventually they came to the start of Sweet Apple Acres property. It was filled as far as the eye could see with apples, all sorts of apples. Soarin was starting to see why maybe his host was a little deranged. If he was surrounded that much by apples he might go insane too.

“Well, here we are.” Applejack proudly stood in front of the sign signaling the entrance to the farm. “Sweet Apple Acres, producer of the finest apples anywhere in Equestria!”

“It’s nice!” Soarin said just a little too enthusiastically with a smile that was just a little too fake.

“It sure is! Come on, Ah’ll show ya around while we head to the house. That’s where you’ll be stayin’.”

Soarin’s unconvincing satisfaction seemed to go unnoticed, and soon he let himself drift off again as he was led to the farm house.

Soarin was soon brought out of his daze though, when he spotted the backside of the most magnificent pony he’d ever seen.
Those firm legs, kicking at that tree with such force. The coat on that pony was a healthy red, and even though it was covered in dirt he could still see the dark red showing off the power in every kick against the tree it was knocking against.
Soarin was so enamored by what he saw, that it took him a few moments to realize that he was checking out the backside of a stallion.
Soarin snapped out of his daydream. Had he just been completely infatuated with a stallion? No, couldn’t be, after all, he couldn’t see the entire stallion until after a few seconds. He probably just looked like a really big filly from behind and that was it.
But the harder Soarin looked for feminine characteristics, the less he found.

I really need to take a nap. He thought to himself.





A few hours later and Soarin was rushing to the night’s event. He’d accidentally overslept and was almost late for the starting presentation that was going to be provided by The Wonderbolts.
He zipped overhead of the town, making up for lost time as he tried to forget about his dreams he’d had earlier in the day.

He’d been wandering through a well-lit forest when he’d run across that red stallion again. He would see the stallion standing there. Then he’d look at Soarin, and just pleasantly smile, giving Soarin a warm feeling that made him feel unusually happy for just having somepony smile at him. The dream kept repeating itself over and over again until Soarin had woken up.

Soarin pushed the thought out of his mind as he raced to the warm up area for The Wonderbolts, getting there just in time.

“About time you showed up,” Spitfire said, mildly annoyed. “All those snacks are startin’ to slow you down, big guy.”

“Yeah, yeah. Let’s just get this over with.” Soarin responded.

Spitfire raised an eyebrow as she noticed Soarin’s curt response. “Well, well, well, grumpy are we? I thought naps were supposed to fix that problem.”

Soarin ignored her.

Spitfire ignored Soarin’s bad mood, getting all of The Wonderbolts together.
“Alright everypony, pretty typical show tonight. A little synchronized flying, a couple of neat tricks, and then we end with a nice thunder boom from Soarin and Wingnut.”

A smaller pegasi with a wild smile and electricity crackling in his mane, smiled enthusiastically.

“Then we can all enjoy the rest of our night, and we’ll be out of this town by tomorrow night.”

The Wonderbolts gathered together behind Spitfire, waiting for their cue.
They heard the mayor calling their names just then.

“That’s our cue!” Shouted Spitfire, “Let’s go, go, go!”

The Wonderbolts flew out of their waiting area that had been tucked away behind a few houses and away from the crowd. As they did, they left their signature trail of flames and thunder, causing the crowd to gasp in awe as they watched the professionals at work.
Although Soarin didn’t enjoy visiting small towns, he had to admit, he still enjoyed hearing them be amazed at what he could do.
Soarin decided to impress the residents of Ponyville a little more. He broke from the pack to do a few loop-de-loops and some barrel rolls, then he flew down and zipped past right above everypony’s heads, showering them with bright sparks that made them all flinch as they harmlessly landed.
He was having fun, and he enjoyed seeing that everypony was smiling.
Or at least, almost everypony was smiling. The strong, red pony just stood there, as serious as ever. Soarin was bothered at his supposed disinterest with the show.

I’ll show him. Soarin thought, as he raced up into the sky to meet with Wingnut to prepare their finale.
Soarin got up into position. He nodded at Wingnut, and Wingnut nodded back, then they dived down.

The smoke and lightning coming from their tails was creating the look of a thunderstorm, and the angle of their flight path made it look like the thunderstorm was actually coming down to the crowd.
Everypony was fixated on the show above them. Everypony except one, Soarin noticed.
Why didn’t he like it? Soarin wondered. Were they so bad? Did they really have nothing to offer to him that he hadn’t seen before?

As Soarin wondered, Wingnut started yelling.

“EY WATCH OUT!” Wingnut screamed as Soarin almost collided with him in mid-air.

Wingnut overcorrected as Soarin did the same in the other direction. Together the two split off and pulled up as fast as they could. The thunderstorm they had brought with them dispersed just before it hit everypony below, leaving them cheering in adoration as Wingnut and Soarin flew around their heads for a few more seconds before darting off to the warm up area again.

“Nice job, you two!” Spitfire said, as the Soarin and Wingnut showed up. “Not quite the normal routine, but I guess going above and beyond is what makes us the best flyers in Equestria.”

“Whatever!” Wingnut yelled. “Dis colt crazy! Almost killed us back der!” He then marched off, mane still crackling.

“What was that all about?” Spitfire asked.

“Uh, it was nothing. You know how he his. Hey can I go now? I’m feelin’ really tired and I wanna get up early tomorrow, apparently this Apple family I’m staying with can cook a mean breakfast.”

“Yeah, sure… Just be here in time to help pack by sundown tomorrow, okay?”

Soarin was already half-way in the air as he called back, “You got it, Spits!”



A kind elderly pony let Soarin into the farmhouse. He groggily said thanks as he stumbled into the guest bedroom.
He needed to think a lot of things over, but for some reason, he actually was tired.
Soarin promised himself he’d sort everything out in the morning, and before he knew it, he was dreaming again.

Comments ( 7 )

*Author's Notes*

So, after (not) much thought, I've decided to do some M/M shipping.
There really isn't very much of it in this fandom, and while I enjoy any kind of shipping, I often find it much easier to relate to and enjoy a good M/M shipfic.
That said, I'm actually hoping to turn this into a series of stories chronicling Soarin's adventures in homosexuality. I'll keep it clean but I did give this story a teen rating so that I can have my fun with innuendo as well.

Feedback is always appreciated, no matter how nice, constructive, or mean it is.
I also know that sometimes people in this fandom take issue with two males getting shipped together (don't tell me that doesn't happen either, I've seen it myself). To which I have this to say to you:
I included a fairly noticeable spoiler alert, so anyone who takes issue with this story solely based on the fact that it's about male homosexuality will be seen as nothing but a parasprite and you will be promptly ignored.
Also, for the rest of you who enjoy shipping but not M/M shipping, you sure picked a funny time to care about ponies being depicted in romantic situations, didn't you?

As always though, no matter what you think of my story, thanks for reading!

Okay you have piked my interest.:duck:

I'm interested, though you seem to have some trouble with your paragraph spacing. Will probably keep reading anyway. :twilightsmile:

Weird people gave you more dislikes then likes :eeyup: Gotta fix.

media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0xmh6rCEq1qbnggp.jpg

Jesus Christ man, I'm just going to start expecting to wake up to a new story every day now.

LOL! I like to ship Soar' with spitty. Yes I read the description and I knew what I was in for. So this is... new... to me at least as I have never read a M/M ship fic before (in fact it even took me a few seconds to realise what M/M was suposed to mean...) I figured I'd give this a read as I found it while specificaly searching for SoarinFire fics.

Flutterdash is my usual domain (well... pretty much all I read/write) but I don't mind a laugh at this wonderbolts expense. Thus far, I'm not dissapointed. Its been worth the read so far and I hope to see you continue this fic.
A bit of something with Big Mac, like Soar accientialy letting something slip in his prescence could easily be rolling on the floor laughing material. Especialy if Big Mac responds in a 'nice' way toward him.
I'm wondering if there are any hints behind BM looking so bored at him all the time. I see big mac as a fun place to start and as long as you leave Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash to themselves and not get somepony like Dash trying to make a pass at Soar' then I will continue to read and gladly give feedback on this promising fan fic. If ever you want somepony to bounce ideas off, I'd be happy to help :pinkiehappy:

A neat start, I like your writing style, it's nice, easy reading, in a good way of course. I love Spitfire's and Soarin's characterisation too, along with the friendship between the pair. This story has potential and I am eager to see where it goes.
Keep up the good work! :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment