• Published 20th Aug 2012
  • 14,078 Views, 633 Comments

Mission: Improbable - The card holder



A certain handsome rogue lives in plain sight in Equestria, with no one the wiser.

  • ...
30
 633
 14,078

Sleepover Sabotage

Entering the living room, the Spy headed straight for the door. Opening it, he found that it was the real Derpy, in all her skew-eyed glory.

"Hey, Derpy. What's up?"

"You have some mail!" The pegasus proclaims, before taking out an envelope. The Spy thanks her for it, then he mimics levitating it away, one of the more useful skills he picked up in order to have a more effective disguise. Once Derpy leaves, the Spy inspects the letter further, seeing that it was for Bon-Bon. Naturally, he decided to read it.

Good news, Bon-Bon! I played at the Gala, and I got a standing ovation! I think I might have a spot in next year's, too! I'll be home by tomorrow afternoon, so see you soon!

-Lyra

He was glad that Derpy hadn't read the letter, because then she would see through the disguise. Still, he wanted no loose ends, so he starts to work on a plan. Finding another quill, he works quickly, making sure to match Lyra's hand(hoof? magic?)writing perfectly. Twenty minutes later, he had a newly forged note:

Sorry to leave on such short notice, Bon-Bon, but I had to leave early to make it to the Gala. Hopefully, they'll love me and ask me to play next year, too! If all goes well, I should be back home tomorrow afternoon, and I'll tell you all about how it went!

-Lyra

Satisfied with his work, the Spy places the note somewhere in plain sight, before shredding the original letter into the trash. With that out of the way, he needed to figure out where to go for the rest of the day, since Bon-Bon would be home in only a couple of hours.

Glancing outside, he spots a yellow pegasus trotting by... Fluttershy, that's it. She happened to live quite a ways from town; the perfect place to lay low for a bit.

Not taking any chances, the Spy activates his Cloak-and-Dagger before slipping out the back door. He begins to silently trail Fluttershy, making slow progress due to the cloak having to recharge every twenty feet. He hadn't bothered with putting on a new disguise, since he figured he wouldn't need it.

After a few stops, the unwitting pegasus leads the Spy out of town. There were a lot less ponies around, but there was also a lot less cover, so the Spy still traveled at a slow pace. After a few more minutes of following, Fluttershy arrived at her house just outside the Everfree Forest. The Spy had heard about the place, and when he heard about it being unnatural because "the clouds move on their own, and the animals take care of themselves", it took all of his willpower to not burst out laughing. The threats of dangerous beasts, though, was very real, so he gave the forest a wide berth.

While Fluttershy tended to her animals, the Spy stayed hidden, making sure to not accidentally bump into any animals. He was sure they could smell him, but if they did, they didn't seem to care. Despite the pegasus's shyness, she was a surprisingly good amount of information, simply from listening to her talk to the animals. This time, however, she had no useful information, it seemed. He was about to leave, but then there was a clatter of dishes. He whirls around to see what it was, and spots a small rabbit looking up at Fluttershy, a spilled bowl in between them.

"Now, Angel, you should eat your food now, because I won't be here later tonight. I'll be over at Twilight's place, having a sleepover. All my friends will be there, so don't think about begging them for food!"

While this piece of information was practically useless, the Spy still planned to use it. A sleepover, huh? Oh, how he could have fun with this. Really, given his usual line of work, this would let him have a short break while also letting him fine-tune his skills. And besides, this would simply be a load of fun.

Set with this plan, the Spy hides out for the rest of the day at Fluttershy's house, making sure to avoid contact with either her or any of the animals. Once the sun starts setting, the shy pegasus leaves, the Spy on her trail, ready to cause a small bit of havoc tonight.


"Hey, glad you could make it, Fluttershy!"

"Oh, well, I wouldn't want to miss a night with friends, Twilight, you know that." Fluttershy went inside Twilight's library, where the rest of her friends were waiting.

"Nice t' see ya, Fluttershy!" Applejack said. The rest of those attending the sleepover traded greetings with each other, before starting to play various party games. As the sun set below the horizon, a mock campfire had been made in the middle of all of the friends. Unbeknownst to them, an invisible figure was in the room, watching them, waiting for the right moment to strike...

"Alright, let's tell some scary stories!" Rainbow Dash said. She hunches over the fire and begins her story. "There once was a place called Crystal Lake..."

While the cyan mare told her story, the Spy scoped out how the others were reacting to it. Twilight seemed to be analyzing the story, Pinkie Pie was actually standing still for once, Applejack was trying to look like she wasn't scared, as was Rarity, and Fluttershy had all but curled up into a ball.

"...and when they found him, all that was left... was a hoof!"

The others let out shudders, squeaks, and other scared noises. "But it's not over yet..." Rainbow continued, regaining everyone's attention. Pinkie suddenly had a bucket full of popcorn, but none of them questioned her. The Spy, meanwhile, picked out the perfect first target. He got into position, readying his knife.

"She thought he was gone, but suddenly, she could feel was the cold, hard steel of his knife-"

"WAAAAH!" Rarity had jumped nearly six feet into the air, and the Spy had to control his laughter. He had taken the blunt edge of his knife and ran it along her back just as Rainbow got to that part of the story. His cloak had flickered slightly from the contact, but thankfully none of them noticed. Soon, the others recovered from their laughter.

"Oh, Rarity!" Pinkie said. "You shouldn't be a little scaredy-pony!"

"B- But I felt- Oh, nevermind, it's just the atmosphere. Anyway, Rainbow, continue?"

"Nah, I'll let someone else get a turn."

"Don't start without me, girls, I'll go see if Spike's still asleep." Twilight got up and was heading up the stairs. The Spy followed, having a devious idea. When Twilight got to her bedroom, she went to the small bed beside it, finding Spike still fast asleep. Satisfied, she started to go back downstairs-

Just as the handle of a knife came down on her head, knocking her out.

Lifting the unconscious unicorn into her bed, the Spy then put on a disguise to look just like Twilight Sparkle. He took a quick moment to get his voice right, before heading back downstairs. When he got there, all of them (save Fluttershy, who was still curled up) were smiling at him.

"Uh, girls? Why are you smiling at me?"

"Because we agreed to let you tell the next story!" Rainbow spoke up. The Spy could easily see her with a Boston accent.

Outside, it had just started storming, complicating his plans of possible escape. "Well, alright then." He got into position next to the fake campfire, and the rest of the ponies circled around him. He felt a nervous twitch, from being the center of attention, but he moved on regardless. Taking a deep breath, he started his story.

"Once upon a time, there were two brothers, alike in many ways. However, they were also opposites in many other ways; one preferred the color red, while the other, blue. One day, they both inherit their deceased father's land, and promptly begin fighting over it. It started out civilly, as legal battles over the rights, but things quickly escalated into an all-out war."

"Come on," Rainbow complained loudly, "get to the good parts!"

"I'm getting there, alright? Anyway, the two brothers each hired nine soldiers to fight the other. As time went on, the brothers eventually began fighting over their family manor. The place itself was falling apart, but they wanted it simply so the other couldn't have it. Little did they know, that the spirit of their own father was haunting the place, and he was tired of his sons fighting each other. When the nine soldiers from one brother met the other nine from the other, they began fighting yet again. Then, finally fed up with all the fighting, the undead spirit of their father arose from his grave, ready to punish his sons for the senseless battles." Lightning struck outside, causing everyone in the room besides the Spy to jump. "His spirit began killing off all eighteen soldiers, before cornering the two brothers. Just when it seems like all is lost for the two, one of them pushes the other down, and quickly runs away. The other... never got up again." Glancing around the room, the Spy sees the scared reactions of all the ponies. If this plan was going to work, he'd need to wait until the right time. "Having escaped the spirit of his father, the sole survivor of the two brothers began living in isolation, never regretting his decision back at the manor. But, one day, the spirit of his brother arrived, and dragged him screaming into Tartarus, and he was pulled in, never to be seen again..."

Another crash of lightning happens, causing Rainbow Dash to recoil from shock, knocking over the small lamp that was used as a campfire. As the room is plunged into darkness, the Spy uses this time to go invisible, before picking his disguise for the next part. By the time the lamp is upright again, and the five ponies collect themselves, Twilight is gone.

"Uhh... where did Twilight go?" Applejack asks.

"...I dunno. Maybe she went to get some snacks?" Pinkie Pie put in.

"O- Or m- maybe she was taken by the... spirit!" Fluttershy squeaked out.

"D- Don't be silly, 'Shy," Rainbow says, trying to hide the fear in her voice. "I- I'm sure she just had to g- get up for something, y'know?"

While he let the ponies sweat, the Spy found a mirror, and used it to check up on his new disguise. The pumpkin where his head should be had a face carved into it, and it glowed faintly. A giant axe was in his hand, despite him actually only holding the knife. The rest of his body was skeletal, with a cloak drawn over it, as well as large gloved hands and feet. This was going to be hilarious.

Once again going invisible, he heads back to where the ponies all are, finding them backed up in a corner, shivering uncontrollably. Fluttershy was still curled up into a ball.

To draw their attention, the Spy deliberately made a nearby chair creek.

"D- Don't come any closer!" Rainbow said, trying to sound brave despite the fear on her face. They didn't seem to be moving any time soon, so the Spy figured he had to draw them out somehow. Getting out of sight to un-cloak, he disguises his voice to sound like Twilight's.

"Fluttershy, come quick! There's a hurt animal over here!" Almost before he could get into position, the yellow pegasus comes flying around the corner. Upon seeing his disguise, she immediately fainted on the spot. This caught the Spy by surprise, but he just shrugged and went with it as he equipped the visage of the unconscious pegasus. He then trots out as fast as he can on four legs, diving for cover behind the rest of the ponies.

"That's not Twilight, that's not Twilight!" he stammers out in a perfect imitation of Fluttershy's voice. While he cowered behind them, the others took up defensive stances.

"You big meanie! Come out and stop being so scary!" Pinkie Pie challenges. The others voice their support, while Applejack leans down to reassure 'Fluttershy'.

"Calm down, sugarcube. We ain't gonna let it hurt ya, alright?" The Spy whimpers in confirmation, and after a few more seconds, looks up. All of the gathered ponies were some distance away, forming a semi-circle around him, all of them facing away.

Perfect.

Standing up silently, he puts on the previous disguise. None of them notice the smoke, but Rainbow soon notices something else.

"Hey, did it just get brighter in here?"

"A- And why can't Ah hear Fluttershy anymore?"

Slowly, all of them turn around, coming face to face with a grinning pumpkin. To kick things off, the Spy only says a single word:

"Boo."

All at once, the gathered ponies start screaming and running away. Laughing in that deep voice that only the Horsemann himself had, the Spy started chasing the ponies around the library. Apparently, the storm outside was bad enough that they hadn't even considered leaving.

Making liberal use of his cloak, the Spy quickly cornered Rarity, who dramatically fainted. Three down, three to go.

Applejack was a bit of an issue, trying to lasso him, but he managed to tie her up with her own rope, and even stuffed a tablecloth in her mouth to keep her quiet, as well as a blanket over her to block her vision.

Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie put up the most resistance. The pair hadn't split up since the chase began, and Rainbow would constantly fly at the assailant, while Pinkie would throw cupcakes and other pastries (where she got them, the Spy had no clue) at him. Eventually, they had managed to drop a bookshelf on him, which he escaped with the Dead Ringer.

"We," Rainbow panted heavily, "we did it!"

"Yeah, we showed that big bad monster who's-" The pink pony was interrupted by an invisible force grabbing her and pulling her into a side closet. Once in there, the Spy's cloak ran out, making Pinkie's eyes nearly bulge out of their sockets. One knock on the head later, she was out.

Only one to go.


"Pinkie? You alright?"

When Pinkie came skipping out of the closet, Rainbow breathed a heavy sigh of relief.

"Thank goodness you're alright, I thought something else had got you." She turned back around before starting towards the main room of the library. "Say, where do you think that thing is?"

"Right behind you."

Rainbow only had enough time to quickly turn around before getting knocked out herself. With no one else awake in the library (save for Applejack, who was still struggling), the Spy dropped his disguise. He takes out a cigarette and lights it, celebrating a job well done. He had taken the six most powerful ponies here, if the stories about the "Elements of Harmony" were to be believed, and he knocked them all out, one by one. If this was one of his actual jobs, they wouldn't be breathing, either, but he felt it was the same immediate effect.

Making sure that he didn't leave any hints of his presence, he quickly heads downstairs, to Twilight's lab. Once there, he opens up a cluttered closet and makes his way to the very back, completely hidden from sight. Just to be sure, he activates his cloak again before drifting off to sleep. It wasn't the most comfortable spot to sleep, but it was sure better than the barracks at Teufort.

Thinking of the run down desert town made him wonder: how was his team getting along without him?


Meanwhile, somewhere completely different...

"Hey, do any o' ya miss dat old shapeshiftin' rat?"

"Nope."

"Nah."

"Negatory."

"Nein!"

"Mph."